Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 166 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  20 secs ago
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  24 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 11:20:43
#21 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:

TrevorDick wrote:
@Kronos

OK, I'll buy you a beer this time!

Final proove that your out for no good !!

Profile     Report this post  
Samurai_Crow 
Re: Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 11:33:17
#22 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

Quote:

mcbone wrote:
Q . If you could go back in time with eight billion pounds world you buy out commodore 64 and Amiga and if you had enough money left and see apple up for sale would you buy it think you could use some of hardware and software and technology to help Amiga out more into the future

No. Years ago I would have fought to save Commodore from themselves but now there is no need. The chipset patents are all expired now and cost nothing to use. Aros 68k would be easier to improve than AmigaOS 3.x would be to free and fix.

What I WOULD use some (less than 8 billion) money for now, is to make a collection of shared libraries for all Amiga-like systems so they can more easily run software written for any one system. (I'm starting on that myself!)

Re:organized religion side topic
I agree that modern religion is way too organized on the human side. If we truly believed in God's infinite wisdom, we'd let Him do things His own way. Grace trumps the law very nicely. I'm willing to discuss this topic in a separate thread if allowed.

Hondo 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 18:03:50
#23 ]

@Trevor - please try and anwer these questions, thanks.

1. Trevor what would you do if we send you back to 1994 with a couple of billions ?

2. Is there anything you would have done different the last years since you started trying to help our beloved computer/brand ?

3. And what would you do in 5 years if you still had the opportunity ?

Oh that was 3 questions at once - maybe you can win a Kinder Egg if you answer

Kind regards Hondo

iggy 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 18:22:31
#24 ]

@cdimauro

>the problem IS religion

If you say so, after all, its your choice.
However, I'm not placing all my faith in actions or opinions of naked apes.

In my opinion, the problem is man.
But nature has a way of resolving these things.

Sorry for the off topic post.

And we don't need eight billion dollars.
We're still here and we have our resources (including people like Trevor).

Last edited by iggy on 25-Aug-2015 at 06:24 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 18:27:36
#25 ]
Elite Member

@iggy: it's NOT my choice if religions takes my money and limit my freedom.

I've nothing to say about religions "per se", but I haven't found any of them which didn't negatively influenced my life, and in general the life of non adepts.

iggy 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 18:34:11
#26 ]

@cdimauro

Oh yeah, Europeans, I forgot that.
Yeah, you've got a right to complain.
Sorry, I forgot how screwed up it can be in countries where religion is intimately involved in politics.

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 18:44:56
#27 ]
Elite Member

@iggy: I'm a citizen (from Connecticut), albeit I've lived most of the time in Europe.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. AFAIK, in the "civil" USA the euthanasia isn't allowed. Just to cite one of the many missed rights due to the influence of religion...

iggy 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 18:53:24
#28 ]

@cdimauro

I'm not so sure that is the influence of religion or just the Hippocratic oath.
Yes, religion proscribes suicide, but having been suicidal at one point I'm rather glad I got over it.
And except in really extreme cases, pain management can work for the terminally ill.

Being unsure of what powers I'd like the government and my fellow man to have, euthanasia troubles me.

Is it my choice?
Yes, if they can't catch me and I'm physically able.
After that, it does get even more troubling.
Difficult subject.

HOWEVER, we really need to get back on topic.

Kronos 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 20:10:44
#29 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:

In my opinion, the problem is man.

Yep, man inventing god(s) to safe him the pain of useing his head......

iggy 
Posted on 25-Aug-2015 22:57:20
#30 ]

@Kronos

Man in general, grandfather.
But we've only been here a short while, and mass extinctions occur all the time on this planet.
I will say I don't believe we all be gwan up to hebin'.
But if you can't pull some useful points on being a better person from religious texts, you haven't looked closely enough.
Right now, I'm studying the life of Buddha.
Great stuff.
And Jesus "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you"?
I doubt any of you will have a thought to top that in your entire lives.

So, y'all can bite me.

Now can we get back on topic?

Last edited by iggy on 26-Aug-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Last edited by iggy on 25-Aug-2015 at 10:58 PM.

agami 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 2:51:30
#31 ]

@thread

Now I'm fond of Trevor as much as the next Amigan, but when did this thread become the "Trevor D Fan Club" thread?

@conent

Things are fine as they are? Wake up! The situation is miserable. What of the current ecosystem would be worth the lament?

It's times like these I wish the Amiga never got invented in the first place. That way I wouldn't have this icky feeling every time I use one of the contemporary computing platforms. It slowly but steadily eats away at my spirit.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 4:28:24
#32 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Well, he did say Occam's razor mode, in which case its fair to say the problem is religion.
This doesn't disqualify man being the problem.

I personally have no problem with religion per se, theres some good basic morals and ethics in there, but sheesh, the things people do in the name of religion...... (Or more accurately the things individuals try to justify).

I wonder where mankind would be today if religion hadn't held back science for hundreds of years.

I sometimes really hope there is a God though, or other deities, just so some people can get the eternal slap they so richly deserve. I'd almost be willing to give up a ticket to heaven just to watch some of the more audacious people get judged, popcorn in hand :) (audacious in the sense of what they do in His name).

Anyway, seems I've opened a potential can of worms, while being off topic. Sorry about that.

I now return you to your regular program. :)

Last edited by fishy_fis on 26-Aug-2015 at 04:36 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 5:00:34
#33 ]
Elite Member

@agami

I'm with you there.
TrevorD seems to be a nice sort of bloke, and I appreciate his efforts as much as I appreciate the efforts of anyone contributing to the community, but this cult figure status some seem to have thrown on him is cringe worthy.

Given that he doesnt come across as an egotist it must get a bit embarrassing for him at times.

The other side of your post is somewhat confused though (not me, your thought process).
You suggest using modern platforms is discouraging after being an Amiga user, yet you also say there's nothing worthwhile being happy about with the current state of the Amiga situation.
Had the Amiga continued all along it wouldn't be the system you seem to value.
What's left are attempts to further what you, and most of us seem to enjoy, despite any technical shortcomings.

Add all that up and you've set yourself for eternal disappointment :)

Kronos 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 7:44:24
#34 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:

You mean this guy ?

cdimauro 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 8:00:55
#35 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:
@Kronos

Man in general, grandfather.
But we've only been here a short while, and mass extinctions occur all the time on this planet.
But if you can't pull some useful points on being a better person from religious texts, you haven't looked closely enough.

Religious texts have nothing special from this point-of-view, because they report some rules to manage the social living of many peoples. Something that the jurisprudence then coded, because of common sense (no need to have them from any "god").

BTW, religious texts have also many "useful points" on being a worse person. Infidelity, incest, homicide, genocide, hate, hatred, discrimination, racism, slavery, polygamy, etc.: there's plenty of "cool" stuff there.

You can take a look at the Bible, for example, from the very beginning, carefully reading the stories, and trying to imagine what they describe. I warmly recommend it to quickly become an atheist.
Quote:
Great stuff.

Sure. But he refused to give answers about metaphysic arguments, albeit he talked about the famous Nirvana, reincarnation, soul, etc..
Quote:

I don't like the implications of the "positive" version of the so called golden rule.

I greatly prefer the "negative" version (which was formulated well before the so called "Jesus"): "One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated". It's much more adherent to how people should live in a a social organization.
Quote:
I doubt any of you will have a thought to top that in your entire lives.

That's arrogance, which is a bit different from the sentence that you reported above.

However many peoples in the past reported similar sentences, even better ones (see above), and without proclaim themselves as "the Messiah".
Quote:
So, y'all can bite me.

Only after that we are infected by the T-Virus.
Quote:
Now can we get back on topic?

I haven't replied before, but I notice that you're still writing. Maybe it's better to stop replying, or create a new OT thread and move there, if someone is interested on continuing the discussion.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 9:16:37
#36 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro (and others involved...)

Arguing about religion has long tradition on AmigaWorld, such threads may achieve more than 100 pages like this one from 2013... However, discussion about religion was certainly not intention of author of original post and we should respect that... or request change of thread title.

iggy 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 11:10:15
#37 ]

@pavlor

Thanks, I rather felt this had stepped over into a topic I usually avoid awhile ago.

BTW - The thread title mentions both the C64 and the Amiga.

I am a big fan of the 68000 processor and the Amiga, but even if I'd have been able to I wouldn't have invested much effort in the C64.
I started with 8 bit systems, and held onto them long after I should have given them up (in fact, right now I have several HD63C09 processors I'm using for a project).
But with the Amiga as an alternate, it would be hard to recommend an 8 bit system.

And no Kronos, |I don't think I meant that, but it looks interesting.
You all make me want to worship Bob. ;)
Nuf said.

Jim

EDanaII 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 15:48:14
#38 ]

Just to throw my two cents in... had I the ability to accomplish such a task? I'd go directly to Jay Miner (Commodore be hanged) and fund him. There'd be no A500, instead I'd have Miner and his team develop the next gen chip-set and when introduced, the A1000 would become the 500 and the next machine would become the A2000. I'd probably also have the chipset spun off into a separate department to produce graphics cards, not just for the Amiga but for others. The computing branch would still be there to show how to utilize that chipset effectively. Profits from the graphics card branch would go to bleeding edge development to ensure that any future computers would remain ahead of the pack. And, of course, I'd advertise, advertise, advertise...

Like I said, my two cents...

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 16:18:15
#39 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:
Not sure I agree with you but you can ask David Pleasance in person at the Neuss Amiga30th event.

Will he be there to play the Amiga album live?

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Aug-2015 16:24:14
#40 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:

Well I've read nothing that says we get a free ride there for just livin'.

Quote:

What if you iike to go around picking fights with people and getting into a rough and tumble? That's not fair on the orher person!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle