Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 83 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 outlawal2:  27 mins ago
 pixie:  39 mins ago
 Frank:  44 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Lou:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Weirdness, in more ways than one, plus maybe a little closure
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
fishy_fis 
Weirdness, in more ways than one, plus maybe a little closure
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 20:27:32
#1 ]
Elite Member

Was just having a conversation on eab. Was all going fine, I even offered some optimization tips to someone, oblivious to the fact he was about to throw a tantrum and insult me...
"Do I report it I pondered?",
"Nah, I'll let it go" I decided, its no big deal really, he'll probably calm down. He might get a warning, or others might tell him to pull his head in.

What I didn't expect was that upon refreshing the page I'd be greeted with:

"You have been banned
Ban will be lifted: never" (or something to that effect).

Now this all stems back to a year or 2 ago when I publicly had a go at a moderator there for being condescending/mocking me over my failing health. I had been quite moody around this time, and was aware of it, so did appologize a few times. Im not perfect, but this was out of line so I wasn't going to take it lying down so I let the users know what was said. This resulted in me being banned back then as well.
After multiple efforts to try to resolve this and getting neither a yes or no response I signed up again to eab using the same email address (or a very similar one, can't recall), thinking that I'll just get refused if it was a problem, after all it was pretty obvious who I was, but I wasn't refused.

I'd been using the site a fair bit lately, refraining from moody behaviour that had caused some grief in the past.

My health is just getting worse and worse, and I don't think I'll get better. I've already had a few strokes this year, and I should be in hospital at the moment. Just tonight, prior to this weirdness I woke up covered in more blood than a person should be losing. This is becoming more and more frequent an occurance.

I'm not proud of this fact, but I'm a little scared. I'm still not even 40 and I don't want to die yet.

I don't really have family or friends, so I just wanted to live out my remaining days trying to enjoy my hobbies that I can enjoy from bed.

Its really disappointing that people can be so petty.
I like the members at eab for the most part. Its just a shame a lot of the moderators there have weird delusions of grandeur and hold grudges.

Like I said, I'm not perfect, but I've been heavily involved in this community for a long time and I'd like to think others know I'm a pretty reasonable, decent (albeit opinionated at times) guy.

The point to all if this? I really don't know. I just don't trust that I'm going to wake up from day to day any more and I felt the need to get it off my chest. Some sort if closure perhaps.
I might still be here in 6 months time, so I'll carry on like normal while I'm here, but I might not be so I needed to voice my discontent.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Re: Weirdness, in more ways than one, plus maybe a little closure
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 20:50:16
#2 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

I'm sorry to hear about this.

I hope it is possible to improve your health. Do you have a diagnosis for what the cause is? Maybe get to the hospital if you should be there at the moment.

I guess at least we know why now if you seem to be having an off day and people can cut you some slack or lend an ear when you need it.

Signal 
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 20:58:56
#3 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
Was just having a conversation on eab. Was all going fine, I even offered some optimization tips to someone, oblivious to the fact he was about to throw a tantrum and insult me...

Now that is strange behavior I certainly have no need to throw a tantrum to insult you.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 21:04:23
#4 ]

@fishy_fis,

Me thinks political correctness has infected most people.

I don't do PC, not in my DNA so I won't participate.

spotUP 
Posted on 29-Aug-2015 22:35:01
#5 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Sorry to hear about your health! I hope you get better!!

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

scarrabri 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 5:13:17
#6 ]

@fishy_fis

Hey so sorry to hear you are unwell fishy_fis there's nothing worse that trying to keep a brave face when there's a illness niggling away at you and its also a pity some folk cant be a little more understanding although there's more people in the world that can so I wish you a speedy recovery my friend and very best wishes Brian.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 6:18:12
#7 ]

@fishy_fis,

Am now 56 and have lost 70+ pounds and feel much better without the carbs. Never stop the fight!

Chris

Aslak3 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 7:28:24
#8 ]

@fishy_fis

I don't know you and you don't know me. But annyway, my advice is to separate the people from the computer. One can be spiteful and have all those other failings, the other is always the same: dependable and familiar.

I wish you well.

Last edited by Aslak3 on 30-Aug-2015 at 07:30 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 7:36:52
#9 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis: I wish you all the best for your health, and I hope that you can solve your problems. So, I envite you to focus on that, which is way much more important.

What you reported regarding EAB doesn't surprise me: it happens on forums. Sometimes even moderators are the worse fanatics trolls (I had experience on an Italian forum)...

I'm not registered on EAB, but I wish to take a look at the discussion, if possible and you report a link to the thread. Thanks.

pavlor 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 8:59:09
#10 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Sad to hear about your health, I hope you recover someday. Don´t let some immature personalities frustrate your day!

fishy_fis 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 10:39:45
#11 ]
Elite Member

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Ive been in agony for the last 20 hours or so, and quite literally feeling that I'm suffocating. Can't sleep either because I need to really focus to breathe and every time I doze I wake up gasping for what little air I can get and suffocating (no, I don't smoke for those of you wondering, at least not since I was younger). It's really not very much fun. I haven't lost much blood today at least.

Anyway, there's stubbornness, and then there's stupidity, and as such I finally caved and am waiting on an ambulance, which seems to be taking a while, hence me killing time here while waiting. I don't drive and it'd be silly to try at the moment anyway given my predisposition to frequently collapse. This is of course without delving into the more serious aspects of my health, which I'm sure as heck not going to share.

As for the thread in question, I had considered posting the URL, but I'm not sure how tactful that is. Yes I'm peeved, but I don't want to seem petty. Seems the schmuck in question (OK, maybe I'm a little petty :)) had edited his post by now anyway. Its gone from insulting me to condescending, while linking to a post at Amiga.org basically suggesting I'm not worth listening to on the back of many projects I've not completed (the thread was a platformer game I started a while back).
What this clown forgot however is there's quite a few I *have* finished, which I took the opportunity to post inside the link he was trying to dismiss me over.
Most stuff I don't upload anyway, but there's links to about 20 of them inside that thread now, so thank-you unnamed clown for the unintentional promotion :)

D'oh,.... ambulance..... must mosey.......

OlafS25 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 10:54:33
#12 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

good luck to you and hope your health issues are solved. Health is most important in life, something most people do not understand as long they are not affected themselves.

Forget the rest and concentrate on yourself

Olaf

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 14:30:23
#13 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Get well soon mate!

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 16:58:58
#14 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

I'm sorry to hear about all that. You don't need those toxic people in your life to make you feel worse in your condition. It's obvious that those with good health in life abuse it to do bad things. It all sounds quite scarey what you describe. Certainly more serious than when I ended up in the ambulance.

Anonymous 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 21:46:53
# ]

@fishy_fis

Best wishes for a speedy recovery...sorry to hear about your health issues.

We'll be waiting and watching this space till you log on again.

About that other issue...there are more important things in life than to be bothered by stupidity of others...

Report this post  
JayCee 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 22:06:53
#16 ]

@fishy_fis

Good luck on a speedy recovery. I hope things improve for you.
All the Best!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Aug-2015 22:40:59
#17 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Sorry to hear about all the problems hope you get better.

No one is perfect, just remember that.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 4:15:10
#18 ]
Elite Member

Thanks again everyone.

Was nice to get a little sleep finally, even if via being sedated. Having people (hospital staff) watch over me so I don't suffocate while asleep eases the stress a little too, which has a nice ripple effect. Being worked up exacerbates the problem, so the fewer concerns the better.

As such I'm contemplating leaving the Amiga behind. While there's some really nice people here (the kindness of strangers still amazes me at times), it can also be a stressful hobby. I simply can't afford to get too worked up or invested any more.
On the other side of the coin however, this has been my biggest hobby for a long, long time. If my time is limited it seems a shame to throw that away, and I do (usually) enjoy it.

More than likely I'll just hang around, but be selective as to what I invest my time and energy in. A person needs distractions in life after all, just not grief.

There's also the option to just leave forums behind, but hobbies are more fun when shared with other people.
Guess I'll just have to feel out what's best for me as I go.

Xmas87 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 7:41:08
#19 ]

@fishy_fis

Good health to you.
Don't leave. You will miss out.
Share your stuff and enjoy the feedback.

olegil 
Posted on 31-Aug-2015 9:25:59
#20 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Seems to me you need a less stressful hobby than retro computing forums. How about taking up the noble art of retro computing as a hobby instead?

Seems to me the best way to be productive and happy these days is to be offline more. Sounds like you enjoy the tinkering but not the bickering.

Maybe someone could act as a buffer/filter (like an artists agent?) for you, letting you tinker away and only get constructive feedback.

And do get better, please. Sounds like a bad situation to be in.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle