Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  18 mins ago
 geit:  21 mins ago
 amigakit:  36 mins ago
 saimo:  48 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 djnick:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 BSzili:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Copyright Infringement in OS4 SDK
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
tonyw 
Re: Copyright Infringement in OS4 SDK
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 3:18:00
#241 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
Dont you have a common repository and receive notifications on commits including content of changes?

Yes, of course, but there are so many that not everyone reads them all. I only read those that interest me and I guess it's the same for others.

Even the notifications are something that you have to subscribe to...

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Profile     Report this post  
cdimauro 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 5:46:43
#242 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
If you are not willing or able to defend your copyrights legally, for all practical purposes, your rights do not exist.

Sure. That's the case.

Quote:
Some would argue, and have argued for decades, that copyrights in reality do not exist and never did. Personally I agree, once you have created something and released it into public, you can not expect people to not copy it.

I don't agree, because we are talking about the fruits of the work of some persons.

Software is only easier to copy: that's the only reason.

Because I don't think that if you find a car outside, on a public street, you go and get it...

Quote:
It's not as if the people behind MorphOS are all angels and never breached copyrights themselves in their pasts. They will say they "grew out of it", that it was "ok" back then, but that is of course bullocks. Early releases of MorphOS needed components from AmigaOS to work properly,

Interesting. Can you prove that?

Quote:
AmigaOS had a EULA (which is a bullshit construct at same level as copyrights) that the OS (and hence parts thereof) could only be used on Amiga hardware. This "case" is about as sensational as someone running OS4 on WinUAE.

I need such EULA.

Quote:
http://svenskefaen.no/cdne/

Sorry, I have very little time, and I don't want to read something which I already know is wrong in principle. See above.

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@wawa

Quote:
Dont you have a common repository and receive notifications on commits including content of changes?

Yes, of course, but there are so many that not everyone reads them all. I only read those that interest me and I guess it's the same for others.

Even the notifications are something that you have to subscribe to...

Don't you have a code-review process with a gatekeeper which envision every patch before committing it to the master repository?

It doesn't make sense to have all developers to the take a look at the commits of every other one. That's the role of the gatekeeper (or gatekeepers if the project is too complex and it's split in several teams).

However there can be a gatekeeper(s) which just takes care of the final product (before releasing it), and make IP protection scans, analyzing the results according to the IP plan, for possible licensing issues. Which is the case.

You, as a developer, have to collaborate with him in this phase, but only for your commits.

itix 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 9:00:22
#243 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

Early releases of MorphOS needed components from AmigaOS to work properly, AmigaOS had a EULA (which is a bullshit construct at same level as copyrights) that the OS (and hence parts thereof) could only be used on Amiga hardware.

I dont recall Commodore had such EULA, ever. H&P had but their product was not supported. MorphOS supported only Kickstart 3.1 on real Amiga hardware but on Pegasos Kickstart could not be used. You could still use disk libraries from Workbench 3.1 but they were not shipped with MorphOS.

The early MorphOS versions had only new Exec, and then Kickstart modules were replaced one by one.

Massi 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 9:46:15
#244 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
@Massi: other cases should be proved. Here we have solid proofs of what happened...

Courts have already proved it, not really my job.
Every day there are law wars because of stolen software, broken rights and patents and so on.

So nothing really new if this happened.
Personally I hate these things and here it sounds more like a war between the poor.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 10:16:22
#245 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
Oh, give it a rest. We didn't knowingly take code from MorphOS. It was just an open-source library that someone copied from a repository for use with MUI (an open-source contribution). The rest of us didn't even know it had happened until the complaint was published in unjustified triumph.

Interesting, so where is this repository exactly? I'm guessing you'd be able to point us to where the btree.library API stuff is in it, in order to show that it is indeed there, and maybe this would shut up some of the accusatory people here. :)

Or not.... since those that generate Drama always tend to find some other double-danged excuse to keep it going or start a new round of it. :/

tonyw 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 10:33:41
#246 ]
Elite Member

@NomadOfNorad

If you mean "where did the library source come from?", I've no idea.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

wawa 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 11:30:32
#247 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
Don't you have a code-review process with a gatekeeper which envision every patch before committing it to the master repository?

cmon.. you dont really expect that, do you? its a hobby project. i can well imagine that it doesnt differ much from aros, and i while i hardly expect everyone to check on every commit i am moreless informed what and in which field is being commited, even if im not very interested in it. and if i missed something i could easily check on trac. also i really doubt os4 development activity is any higher, especially judging by the numbers of developers and the visible progress or rather lack of it. so, its a bit strange to play innocent like "someone did it, but none knew".

Massi 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 12:17:50
#248 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Only who works on something can make mistakes ... that is why you are so perfect.

scabit 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 12:54:41
#249 ]

If only the time and effort spent by everyone writing posts on this topic was redirected to having them write new source code for the various amiga-like platforms, most of the needs of the amiga community would be met by now!

Scott

bison 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 15:53:49
#250 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Agreed, but the problem is that there is little agreement in which direction to go, so not much of value gets produced.

kolla 
Posted on 18-Sep-2015 23:58:33
#251 ]
Elite Member

@itix

rexxsyslib.library?

Do you recall the EULA explicitly forbidding the use of Amiga for military purposes?

Last edited by kolla on 19-Sep-2015 at 12:01 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 0:05:21
#252 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Why would you be pissed off if I copy your car?

Rob 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 0:06:16
#253 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@itix

rexxsyslib.library?

Do you recall the EULA explicitly forbidding the use of Amiga for military purposes?

Must be the reason Doomy had all those surplus military spec A2000s.

kolla 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 0:36:44
#254 ]
Elite Member

http://amigainformatics.co

itix 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 9:05:54
#255 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

rexxsyslib.library?

This used to be available at Aminet. Seems it was removed. I cant find it anyymore.

Quote:

No, I dont.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 9:28:32
#256 ]
Cult Member

I remember vaguely there being a sort of live-CD amiga-emulator thingy that had extra doodads bundled with it, and that THAT package had some sort of eula with it that said one could not use it on any military related machines, or on any machines that were also used to teach people to use guns. Was this rexxsyslib.library thing something that came from that package?

I remember shaking my head at how dreamworld-idealist the young man behind that project was in that regard. These are the kind that have this hopelessly naive notion that if we just got rid of all military and all guns from the world, that Mankind would somehow just naturally become a better, nicer, friendlier thing... and they genuinely fail to understand that there's genuine evil in this universe and in the hearts of some, and that Mankind on its own will never get rid of that evil.

It was also because of the thought processes that went into that EULA that I decided I never wanted any of his stuff on my machine. I found the entire, wishful-thinking mentality behind it as deeply offensive as he found the existence of the military and guns. oO

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 9:33:07
#257 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
http://amigainformatics.co

Wait, what the french toast is this? oO Some web-designer company decided to name themselves Amiga Somethingorother? :/

Last edited by NomadOfNorad on 19-Sep-2015 at 09:33 AM.

blizz1220 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 9:40:46
#258 ]

@NomadOfNorad

There could have been such conditions if you think that armies
all around the world used/use Motorola parts and that Motorola
maybe wanted to protect it's military market.Seems unlikely though
but I have no idea.

Funny thing is that first G4 Macs were classified as "super computers"
at the time of release and as such US prohibited export to foreign
countries.

cdimauro 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 10:47:11
#259 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

Quote:

Massi wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
@Massi: other cases should be proved. Here we have solid proofs of what happened...

Courts have already proved it, not really my job.
Every day there are law wars because of stolen software, broken rights and patents and so on.

WHEN it happens, we can take a look at the single case, but you cannot say that's a normal thing.

Quote:
So nothing really new if this happened.

It doesn't change the picture: it was a criminal act.

Quote:
Personally I hate these things and here it sounds more like a war between the poor.

Looking at the post-Amiga community, yes.

But in this case we have a single person against a company...

Quote:

Massi wrote:
@wawa

Only who works on something can make mistakes ... that is why you are so perfect.

That wasn't a mistake, but an intentional, criminal, act.

You cannot come here saying: "I didn' t go through all posts." making some "guesses" trying to rewrite what happened an was already greatly discussed.

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

cmon.. you dont really expect that, do you? its a hobby project. i can well imagine that it doesnt differ much from aros, and i while i hardly expect everyone to check on every commit i am moreless informed what and in which field is being commited, even if im not very interested in it. and if i missed something i could easily check on trac. also i really doubt os4 development activity is any higher, especially judging by the numbers of developers and the visible progress or rather lack of it. so, its a bit strange to play innocent like "someone did it, but none knew".

I have to agree...

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@cdimauro

Why would you be pissed off if I copy your car?

Not copy: stole.

Copying a car is a different crime.

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 10:54:44
#260 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
That wasn't a mistake, but an intentional, criminal, act.

I see your mind reading techniques are really good. If AmigaOS developers say it was mistake, I have no reason not to trust them, same for MorphOS Team etc.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle