Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 49 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  8 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 jPV:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 AmiKit:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  People still talking about Amiga
Register To Post

PosterThread
AmigaBlitter 
People still talking about Amiga
Posted on 30-May-2016 12:54:46
#1 ]
Elite Member

http://punto-informatico.it/4320017/PI/Note/nota-pi-libri-nostalgia-amiga.aspx

Although this sentence doesn't sound good at all:

"Da allora, questi appassionati usano Amiga quotidianamente, convinti che la storica piattaforma sia ancora "viva", attuale e adatta a soddisfare le principali necessità dell'odierno utente medio di personal computer, anche se priva del supporto e dell'attenzione di cui godeva oltre vent'anni fa."

"Since then, these Amiga fans use every day, convinced that the historical platform is still "alive", current and suited to meet the main needs of today's average user of a personal computer, even if without the support and attention it enjoyed over twenty years ago."

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 30-May-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ne_one 
Re: People still talking about Amiga
Posted on 30-May-2016 18:53:37
#2 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

But largely accurate.

tlosm 
Posted on 30-May-2016 19:57:11
#3 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

after 3 years ... some one need again attentions, forget about that article.
in any way in good or in bad the important is that someone is speaking about

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-May-2016 11:28:52
#4 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Do you keep aware that the sentence quoted the intro of "Amiga da informatica a religione" (Amiga from pure information technology to just religion cult of fanatics) a sarcastic book that is written by a former amigan who act as broken heart fanboy?

He used Amiga as a game platform and a toy (and from some flamed hot sentences it seems he used his Amiga as a love doll too ). He abandoned his Amiga toy with the raise of Wintel games as being only capable to play videogames on Amiga without understanding how powerful that computer was.
Maybe he was too young guy?
After some years that he almost forgot AOS he googled for curiosity about Amiga and he could just can't believe his eyes his dustbin toy Amiga is still alive and being used with profit in modern age, as we loyal users, just play with it with no any devotion at all, as he pretend to, and we have fun as we recognize its simplicity and ease of use, and how beautiful is Amiga user friendly operating system.
His former fanboy blood started boiling so he wrote this satyric book that laughs at us modern amigans as "devotees of a cult".

He is a poor sobbing creature indeed as he wasted part of his life in writing that rubbish.

Punto Infomatico is double tied with Commodore Computer Blog, the site where the book has born (Punto Informatico is even a mirror for downloading the book) and in the last eight or nine years has published various articles on Amiga that are all oriented to describe Amiga as a phenomenon of the past, and diminishing any news that testimony Amiga is still alive.

What a pity.

BTW if you have some time just check the names behind the Editorial Board of Punto Informatico. You may have some surprise discovering notorious italian Amiga trolls amongst its collaborators and regular contributors.

Last edited by Raffaele on 31-May-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Seiya 
Posted on 31-May-2016 19:29:59
#5 ]

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
He abandoned his Amiga toy with the raise of Wintel games as being only capable to play videogames on Amiga without understanding how powerful that computer was.

you have right for any other things, but here you wrong and like you many others.
A computer is only a way to ..
Amigans and ex-Amigans well known how powerful amiga it was.

Continuing to use offensive terms like "Wintel" you become the classic intransigent Amiga enthusiast

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 4:21:02
#6 ]

@Seiya

Quote:

Seiya wrote:

Quote:

Raffaele wrote:
He abandoned his Amiga toy with the raise of Wintel games as being only capable to play videogames on Amiga without understanding how powerful that computer was.

you have right for any other things, but here you wrong and like you many others.
A computer is only a way to ..
Amigans and ex-Amigans well known how powerful amiga it was.

Continuing to use offensive terms like "Wintel" you become the classic intransigent Amiga enthusiast

What is of offensive in Windows + Intel abbreviation?

Rose 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 13:45:31
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
Do you keep aware that the sentence quoted the intro of "Amiga da informatica a religione" (Amiga from pure information technology to just religion cult of fanatics)

Your post kinda proves his point....

OlafS25 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 13:58:50
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Computer are tools today... amiga was the best system in the 80s but that was long ago. Today it is pure hobby for some, nothing to say against that. I am a longterm Wintel user (or better Wamd :) ). You have countless sophisticated software packages there, you have drivers for almost anything there. Games playing is not that interesting to me but developing something, f.e. games, mobile webpages, apps and so on. You can do all that with windows software, you can play browser games and you can use plenty of hardware. Look at the situation on amiga, f.e. how far behind browsers are. Even newest browser on Aros does not run many games because of no WebGL. No support of thirdparty hardware like modern printers. No modern USB ports on most NG systems and I think nowhere USB 3.0 support. We could continue with that . So it is obscure but we enjoy that like Raspberry users do with their exotic hardware .

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 15:02:51
#9 ]

@Rose

Quote:

Rose wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:
Do you keep aware that the sentence quoted the intro of "Amiga da informatica a religione" (Amiga from pure information technology to just religion cult of fanatics)

Your post kinda proves his point....

A fanboy Vs another fanboy?

He who has the tough skull will win the head clash...

But analyze the thing from another point of view.

The guy is a pathetic moron, so someone must tell him in the face he is just a jerk and treat him as consequence, or he will continue doing rubbish without suffering any harm from his behave.

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 15:14:54
#10 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
The guy is a pathetic moron, so someone must tell him in the face he is just a jerk and treat him as consequence, or he will continue doing rubbish without suffering any harm from his behave.

Written like true religious fundie.

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 15:40:54
#11 ]

@OlafS25

I do not care of Wintel world, and its dozillions hardware drivers. We need only the hardware drivers to survive.

Any other else, will be developed by necessity, if we really have the necessity for it.

Plus we have AmigaOS and MorphOS, that are so easy to use, that it is a joy mastering my computer, without being mastered by the operating system like in Windows, or in OSX.

I prefer far better to lack of some hardware, but have complete control over my system.

Sure it will better only one thing: and that is to have all our existing drivers fine tuned, and at the very moment our drivers are still like in a permanent beta version.

That's bad!

-----

Raspberry?

Don't even dare to say that word with me.

The other sunday I had to install 300MBpS Wifi USB Dongle on the Raspberry of the husband of my cousin, who is home electronics addicted and bought a Raspberry Pi +2B for his experiments.

It was one of the most puzzled installations I ever performed in my life.

Wifi Dongle he purchased is based on Realtek 8192eu Chip and it was really a pain in the a** finding a compatible driver.

Practically this chip family drivers do not exist!

I had to literally dig dozens of forums to find something compatible.

Luckily I found a driver by chance, made by a guy who modified an existing Realtek 8188 driver (the most widespread chip version), else my acquired cousin had to buy another dongle.

I read online documents and howtos (most of them were unclear) to make Raspberry integrate the drivers into the monolithic kernel with a command line based procedure...

(Darn linux based operating systems)...

That means also I need a second device to surf the web and read instructions, in other to get Raspberry going online.

Then im order to persuade the little beast to eat and digest the fact that it in the home there is an active WiFi LAN, I had also to edit with console based text editors two or three almost hidden files with a obnoxious procedure, because the Raspberry has not an automated net-stack!

Even console syntax is atrocious that I still remember the whole command line i had to enter. Take this for example: sudo nano /etc/wpa-supplicant/wpa-supplicant.conf

Ah and it is also very unfriendly that without this SuperUser command you are prohibited to do anything on these linux machines, and you need superuser privileges for any kind of bul*s@#§ you want to load, install or modify.

And still I am wondering why on this Linux environment the sudo password is NOT invoked directly by default by programs when you click on their icons, forcing user to use text based console.

When we finally got Wifi dongle functioning, and we started surfing the web, and we discovered HDMI played no audio on his TV Set, as HDMI port was configured as HDMI-DVI

So I need again read online instructions to discover how to make darn Raspberry HDMI to behave as a real HDMI and play audio...

This means I need to edit by hand a fourth text config file...

This sunday he asked me if I could please make his Wifi USB Dongle to be installed on its Raspberry Mediaplayer that he downloaded anbd that it is based on XBMC system...

I politely said him to go to hell, and throw that little bar of plastics called Rspbeey down in the Water Closet, as I want no any further experience with that little brat.

So then please you all:

DO NOT PRONUNCIATE THE WORD "RASPBERRY" AS A VALID REPLACEMENT FOR THE AMIGA OR ANY OTHER AMIGA RELATED SYSTEMS IN MY PRESENCE ON THIS THREAD AND IN THIS FORUM!

Raspberry it is an obnoxious piece of electronics I do not fell to advice to my worst enemy!

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 16:01:34
#12 ]

@Rose

Quote:

Rose wrote:

Written like true religious fundie.

Do you know what is the difference between that guy and a religious fundle like me?

That this presumptuous guy comes from nowhere making lots of fuss and rumor with his book claiming that we all are crazy using Amiga and we are all fanatics, and we live "in the error", while as an answer to him, I live peacefully in my little Amiga garden, without harassing anyone from alien operating systems with my Amiga passion.

But if you dare touch me and my Amiga passion i will unsheathe the claws to defend my little piece of peaceful land on this earth.

OlafS25 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 16:15:59
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

you do too much honour to this person

why do you feel personally insulted by him? He does not like amiga... fine
he does not like amigans... fine for me too because not my problem

In normal life I use what you call Wintel, in my rare spare time i play around with old amiga stuff
I do not expect it to conquer the world, amiga is not mainstream and if something not works I still have my professional stuff

I see no reason to give this person any audience and not every shitty book or publication has to be read

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2016 20:13:44
#14 ]

@OlafS25

Actually it was AmgaBlitter who started the thread not me...

May I be a little upset that there is still people quoting that un-Amigan rubbish and giving that vanity information technology gossip writer such an international visibility on Amiga sites also?

And unfortunately it is a well known site in Italy like Punto Informatico giving lot of credit to that guy also by mirroring hosting his book, and publishing articles in its news page...

In certain computer press private rooms there is some sorta competition in "who's the best in slang the Amiga"...

Just the way John Doe could had said that press is fair and impartial... Tsk!

Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 01-Jun-2016 at 08:22 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 2-Jun-2016 10:40:26
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

please let him stay in his way of thinking , for him we are a religion? ok! but the impirtant is ignore him.
in any way ... this 2016 will be a great year for not wintel systems.
if everything will be right will exit the power9 desktop consumer computer from
the join of ibm+nvidia+google

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-Jun-2016 11:00:03
#16 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

you are right that the year will not be good for Wintel propably

many people do not use classic desktops or even notebooks today (i do because i need it for doing serious stuff), they use mobile devices for all sort of things that are mostly not based on intel

But a good year for PPC on desktop? Stay serious...

Freescale obviously is ending support and IBM is not supporting desktops for a long time already... next thing is you will ask for AmigaOS for Mainframes propably

Raffaele 
Posted on 2-Jun-2016 11:02:36
#17 ]

@tlosm

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@Raffaele

please let him stay in his way of thinking , for him we are a religion? ok! but the impirtant is ignore him.
in any way ... this 2016 will be a great year for not wintel systems.
if everything will be right will exit the power9 desktop consumer computer from
the join of ibm+nvidia+google

And with Duke Nukem Forever preinstalled...

tlosm 
Posted on 2-Jun-2016 12:11:26
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

why not ?

Check

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/07/open_power_summit_power9/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ibm-power9-servers-supercomputers-nvidia,31567.html

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle