Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  1 min ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 mins ago
 Gunnar:  15 mins ago
 zipper:  40 mins ago
 Templario:  46 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OpenGL ES 2 development continues (was: stopped)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
deadwood 
Re: OpenGL ES 2 development stopped
Posted on 11-Jul-2016 16:25:50
#121 ]

@Rob

I ment the OpenGL ES wrapper.

However if you want to modify the Gallium codes to work on the existing driver, you are probably (I haven't seen the codes!) going to make a lot of changes to Gallium. Imagine cost of porting newer versions - each time adjusting to existing driver. When porting Nouveau I was very cautious not to modify them unless needed so that bringing new code versions would be easy.

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 11-Jul-2016 16:32:51
#122 ]

@deadwood

Quote:
If done right, you should be able to exchange Mesa with Nova/Wrapper and OpenGL ES-based applications should not see any difference.

That might depend on how libraries are implemented. If API is defined as macros (to add library base pointer for functions), this won't work, unless done exactly the same way between all solutions.

And of course this is not just a split between Gallium (if ever released) / Nova (with or without GLES2 wrapper), but also with older "current" Warp3D.

And let's be realistic, some hardware just wasn't designed to run programmable shaders (and doing them in software is way too slow)

So, old hardware can't run the new libraries, and maybe new hardware won't work with old Warp3D? (on MorphOS, W3D backwards compatibility doesn't work on newer gfx cards) - Of course this can be fixed in code, but is it worth it?

As for supporting only GLES2, it shouldn't be too hard doing a GLES1 wrapper on top of it (I've done something like that), and maybe even implement some seriously outdated functionality, like immediate mode (glBegin() etc.

Combining fixed function pipeline with user-defineable shaders might be more problematic though...

Also, what was the point of doing Warp3D Nova instead of going "directly" for GLES2? Is it just "simplified even further" from GLES2? Just curious...

amigakit 
Posted on 18-Oct-2016 13:47:56
#123 ]
Amiga Kit

Daniel has steadily been updating OpenGL ES 2.0 for the new Warp3D Nova under paid contract to A-EON Technology Ltd.

Warp3D Nova and Open GL ES 2.0 library are part of the Enhancer Software

From Daniel's latest update:

Quote:

OpenGL ES 2 (v1.8) for Warp3D Nova (AmigaOS 4)

I just put a new updated OGLES2 version on my FTP :)
This time it contains 1,5 fixes, some optimizations and a small compatibility improvement:

- cleaned up some initialization-code so that Nova doesn't flood the debug-log with pointless warnings a la "W3DNPF_XXX can only be used with W3DNEF_YYY". I consider this to be 0.5 fixes ;)

- I made the GL-object-management more cache-friendly and significantly more compact. At many places in the code this means one less pointer indirection, all in all about 15kb of code vanished (btw.: the core lib itself is about 450kb, the rest (about 1.8 MB) is occupied by the crunched GLSL-to-SPIR compiler).

- some more code optimizations, leading to about 1.7kb less core library code once again.

- Note: the performance increase of those optimizations is measurable even for the boing-ball-demo, but it's minimal there (less than 0.5 fps). In heavy loaded real world apps it will certainly be more noticable, but don't expect any miracles, it was already pretty optimized before, that was just some icing on the cake ;)

- Fix: glGetVertexAttribiv and glGetVertexAttribfv returned wrong values if used with pname = GL_CURRENT_VERTEX_ATTRIB.
A small typo with huge consequences, sorry :P
I found that one while going through the whole source looking for those abovementioned potential optimizations.

- restructured header-files to simplify porting. Just include now. It's the original gl2.h, the only file that has been modified is . To benefit from this you have to download and update the includes too (or at least said gl2platform.h file), of course!

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited by amigakit on 18-Oct-2016 at 01:50 PM.

amigakit 
Posted on 26-Oct-2016 11:23:22
#124 ]
Amiga Kit

Once again, Daniel has updated OpenGL ES 2.0 for the new Warp3D Nova.

Warp3D Nova and Open GL ES 2.0 library are part of the Enhancer Software

From Daniel's latest update:

Quote:

OpenGL ES 2 (v1.10) for Warp3D Nova (AmigaOS 4)

A new update is available, for beta-testers at least ;)

- Memory management: removed MEMF_CLEAR flag from the memory-pool, just an unneccessary waste of cycles, everything is initialized anyway and a zero-fill isn't required.

- Fix, memory management: added semaphore protection for internal (de)allocations.

- Memory management: tuned the internal pool's puddle size.

- Decrunching the GLSL compiler requires almost no RAM anymore.

- Some more small optimizations (one of them will help speeding up another bigger optimization I'm planning ;) ).

- glFinish improved by immediately marking all internal objects that were buffered for submission as being available again. This speeds up the following drawing calls because those will find free internal objects faster.

- Fix: non-VBO drawing (glDrawArrays / glDrawElements called with pointers into client memory) was buggy, the render-pipe wasn't flushed if necessary which could lead to wrong objects being rendered.

- VBO locking improved not to read back data unless necessary. The primary result is probably not that intuitive: It speeds up *non*-VBO drawing quite a lot, to be exact by around factor 3! This is because Nova cannot render client memory data, so the library has to copy that into dedicated internal VBOs. Of course changes you do to your own VBOs are sped up too, but since you (hopefully) don't do that too often the overall performance gain won't be that noticable.

- The GLSL patcher now also handles the following functions so that they can be used even though they have been removed / replaced from the specs: texture2DProg, texture2DLod, texture2DProjLod, textureCubeLod.

Cheers,
Daniel

K-L 
Posted on 26-Oct-2016 13:34:18
#125 ]

@amigakit

That's great news, thanks for sharing ! :)

klx300r 
Posted on 26-Oct-2016 21:43:39
#126 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

awesome

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 27-Oct-2016 7:47:06
#127 ]
Elite Member

The topic title is deceiving, please change it.

Plexus 
Posted on 27-Oct-2016 21:58:02
#128 ]

@AmigaBlitter

I agree, change topic

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle