Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  13 mins ago
 eliyahu:  14 mins ago
 pixie:  22 mins ago
 outlawal2:  37 mins ago
 Gunnar:  41 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 fishy_fis:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 naitly:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  Aros merging with Linux
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
agami 
Re: Aros merging with Linux
Posted on 19-Apr-2024 4:42:03
#21 ]

@AMIGASYSTEM

AROS One. Way too much blue.

Profile     Report this post  
amigang 
Posted on 19-Apr-2024 11:40:32
#22 ]
Elite Member

Im surprise people still dont like the idea of Amiga merging more with another OS.

I mean I do also get it, I would love everything to be native and run on AmigaOS / Aros, but we need a hell of a lot of new developers or money.

Unfortunately and sadly I dont think the Amiga or Aros Community is big enough to support that route so then you have to start thinking of ways of how Amiga / Aros Computers are going to access modern day stuff and play more modern files, maybe it should'nt and just be a retro machine, but I like the idea of being able to boot up an Amiga / Aros OS and still have access to things like Spotify to just play modern music in the Background, or Watch a Youtube video, or visit any modern Website and have it displayed correctly. This is what these kinda of solution offer, rather than having to turn to another device to do it.

So I kinda like this, as much as I like Rabbit hole, it makes using my Amiga time much better.

Last edited by amigang on 19-Apr-2024 at 11:42 AM.

OldFart 
Posted on 19-Apr-2024 19:39:45
#23 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@amigang

Quote:
I mean I do also get it, I would love everything to be native and run on AmigaOS / Aros, but we need a hell of a lot of new developers or money.
As much as one might agree, I am of a mind, that it would first take a plan: where to go and which road to take, both short term and long(er) term.
Should we stick to that what we know or think or feel is 'Amiga'? And then before V2.0 or after?Or should a plan be drawn to use cheap and
cheerfull, plentyfull available hardware be taken to start with in contrast to the expensive and sparse current approach? Should we set aside our
mutual personal favourites and dislikes when it comes to possible developers and contributors?
Anyway it takes a plan and a governing body to enforce that plan. The future hardware wise is not (in my not so very humble opinion and I will be
treading toes here) in something 68k-ish, or PPC-ish. Jump the bandwagon of the Pi-collective, be it Raspberry, beit Orange, Pineapple or Banana
and the Linux underpinning, just to get things started. Or any RISC-V offering or any other upcoming and emerging architecture or established
architecture. This crop virtually all draw circles around ANY current Amiga-like harware offering and is guaranteed to be around for the next 15
years or so, if not longer. X5k's are already dropping out and guess what? They are not being replaced, if even available, due to their pricetag
(and some Xorro-sh!t nobody seems to be interested in...).

My 2 cents and have a nice weekend!

OldFart

Last edited by OldFart on 19-Apr-2024 at 07:40 PM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 19-Apr-2024 20:47:27
#24 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

amigang wrote:
Im surprise people still dont like the idea of Amiga merging more with another OS.

Our IP-Stack came from BSD.
The browsers use engines from Apple.
The most newer games are ports from elderly Windows versions.
And this Web Site seems to run on Linux.
The fastest accelerator for Amigas is using a chip designed for Android.
Most GPUs used here, where designed with Windows PCs in mind.
And even those AmigaOnses with an X, have a built in MCU that was never supported by an AmigaOS-

But merging with a Open Source OS ... Noooooo

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 19-Apr-2024 at 08:47 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 19-Apr-2024 21:14:08
#25 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

I am not sure if I understand you right. It sounds like you would like to have a modern solution that is still unique. But i would not say a secret that most of the concepts amiga was based on would have to be dropped. You would need to rewrite most of it. Security is today much more important than it was 30 years ago and even all NG platforms still inherited the shortcomings. So finally the new wonder amiga OS would be very different to the existing OS. Then you would need "only" toms of drivers and not to forget porting lots software. And who will do that? Or finance it? So either you wait for a white knight or turn to a realistic plan. And to me the potential merge with linux is the only realistic idea to get something modern again. Will everybody like it? Certainly not, but perhaps it will be good enough to create interest again.

Additionally there will also be Aros native (X86/AMD64), the retro line (68k) and the other NG platforms. People can decide what they want

agami 
Posted on 19-Apr-2024 23:59:36
#26 ]

@OldFart

100%

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 20-Apr-2024 10:35:49
#27 ]

@agami

On AROS One there are 32 Themes available, dozens and dozens of Backgrounds and numerous Pointers in many colors. there are also 32 Scripts, where through an Icon you can replace Themes complete with Windows, Backgrounds, Pointers and Gadgets.

I like Blue this is obvious, I prefer it because it highlights Windows Icons, Blue is also used by many TVs to enhance Studios.

I attach an "old" video of mine showing Some themes (now improved) on AROS One x86 and AROS One 68k

https://youtu.be/zSXcGjkbMU4

Not only on AROS One with a Click you can replace all system Icons, and third-party applications in few seconds (Hundreds)

There are 4 Types of Icons !!!

https://youtu.be/aqPstn9171M

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 20-Apr-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 20-Apr-2024 at 10:41 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Apr-2024 12:40:57
#28 ]
Elite Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

Back in the days with newicons patch and newicon.library, we could change _all_ icons just by changing one simple assign - _that_ was great. Sigh.

Quote:

- Icons can be given a single tooltype, which will tell NewIcons to display a NewIcon image from elsewhere on the system. This feature has some caveats, but introduces a huge number of neat possibilities for configuring your Workbench, and saves on disk space and chip RAM. Imagine having your Workbench icons appear randomly different on EACH reboot!

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/NewIcons46

Last edited by kolla on 20-Apr-2024 at 12:46 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle