Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  20 mins ago
 MagicSN:  31 mins ago
 V8:  33 mins ago
 kolla:  36 mins ago
 Hammer:  36 mins ago
 agami:  53 mins ago
 deadwood:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Torque:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /   AI specifies an Amiga successor
Register To Post

PosterThread
OneTimer1 
AI specifies an Amiga successor
Posted on 16-Apr-2024 21:50:04
#1 ]
Cult Member

A had the stupid idea to ask ChatGPT how an Amiga 500 successor should be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question

The Amiga 500 was one of the best Gaming Systems and Home-computers of the 80ies, it had a lot of RAM and a Multitasking Operation System with an advanced GUI What specs should an actual Amiga successor have to get an equal impact on the gaming and personal computer market? What OS and GUI would make it a competitor to actual PCs and what GFX Sound and IO components should it have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer

The Amiga 500 indeed made a significant impact in the 80s with its advanced features for the time. To create a modern successor that could have a similar impact on today’s gaming and personal computer market, it would need to incorporate several cutting-edge specifications and features:

Operating System & GUI:

The OS should be user-friendly, stable, and secure, with support for modern multitasking and multimedia capabilities. It could be a custom-built system, drawing inspiration from the simplicity and efficiency of the original Amiga OS, or it could be based on a Linux distribution which offers flexibility and customization1.

The GUI should be intuitive and responsive, with a design that caters to both novice and experienced users. It should support high-resolution displays and modern interface elements like touch gestures, if applicable2.

Hardware Specifications:

Processor: A high-performance, multi-core CPU that supports modern gaming and computing tasks.

RAM: At least 16GB of RAM to ensure smooth multitasking and gaming experiences.

Storage: Fast SSDs for quick boot times and load times, with ample storage space for games and applications.

Graphics: A powerful GPU capable of supporting 4K resolution and high frame rates for gaming. The latest offerings from companies like Nvidia or AMD would be suitable3.

Sound: High-definition audio support with surround sound capabilities for an immersive audio experience.

I/O Components: A variety of ports for connectivity, including USB-C, HDMI, DisplayPort, and Ethernet. Wireless connectivity options like Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 or higher should also be included.

Gaming Capabilities:

The system should support the latest DirectX and Vulkan APIs to ensure compatibility with modern games.
It should have the ability to run games at high settings with smooth frame rates.
Support for VR and AR technologies could also be a distinguishing feature.

Expandability:

Like the original Amiga, the modern successor should offer easy expandability options to allow users to upgrade components like RAM, storage, and even the GPU.

Community & Development Support:

A strong community and developer support system would be essential to create a vibrant ecosystem of applications and games, reminiscent of the original Amiga’s extensive software library.

In summary, a modern Amiga successor would need to balance nostalgia with cutting-edge technology, offering a unique and powerful system that appeals to both gamers and general computer users. It would need to stand out not just in terms of hardware but also through a distinctive operating system and user interface that pays homage to its predecessor while pushing the boundaries of modern computing.

My remarks:

The answer was from an AI, they where trained with text from the internet, those AIs are nor 'truth machines', they are more like a search engine presenting the best fitting text to a question.

Even if the question was asked vial Microsoft's Bing/Copilot interface, it didn't recommend Windows as basis for an Amiga successor, but this may have been common sense under Amiga fans.

The answer made me look for Vulkan API:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan

This was an IMHO very good answer, I didn't knew much about it before.

Profile     Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Re: AI specifies an Amiga successor
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 2:26:48
#2 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

AI already bored me when it lists one of the requirements being DirectX. Apple seems to do fine without this. If you're running Windows Apps sure, I would hate to be without DirectX, but for Apple & Amiga this will probably never be required.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 17-Apr-2024 at 02:33 AM.
Last edited by DiscreetFX on 17-Apr-2024 at 02:28 AM.
Last edited by DiscreetFX on 17-Apr-2024 at 02:27 AM.

agami 
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 3:11:51
#3 ]

@OneTimer1

It's nice to know that LLMs are on par with a geeky high-schooler. And that's not nothing.

While the answer is mostly obvious no-brainer stuff, the Community part was a small surprise given the prompt parameters and the lion's share of the response focusing on SW and HW.

Like me, the LLM is no doubt referring to a NEW community, because the present day SG community will die on the backward compatibility hill before buying a machine equally capable of running Windows out of the box.

agami 
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 12:23:58
#4 ]

@OneTimer1

I put through a variation on your original prompt:

"The Amiga series of computers was one of the most hackable systems of the late '80s and early '90s, inspiring many to come up with unique solutions leveraging the native multimedia capabilities, and complement of IO, accompanied with a fairly open and lightweight multi-tasking operating system. What specs should an Amiga successor possess in order to get an equal impact on the hardware and software hacking and hobby computing scene today? What essential and differentiating components should it have to make it a serious competitor to today's hobby systems and single board computers?"

Here is the ChatGPT 3.5 output:

To create a successor to the Amiga that could have a similar impact on today's hardware and software hacking scene, it would need to blend the nostalgia and charm of the original system with modern capabilities. Here's a breakdown of the essential specs and components such a system could feature:

1. Processor: A powerful yet energy-efficient CPU, possibly based on ARM architecture, to handle modern computing tasks while maintaining compatibility with legacy software.

2. Graphics: A dedicated graphics processor capable of handling high-resolution graphics, 2D/3D acceleration, and supporting modern display interfaces like HDMI or DisplayPort.

3. Memory: Sufficient RAM to support multitasking and memory-intensive applications, along with the ability to expand memory easily.

4. Storage: Built-in solid-state storage, possibly in the form of an SSD or eMMC, for fast boot times and data access. Additionally, support for external storage options like SD cards or USB drives.

5. Operating System: A modern, lightweight, and customizable operating system with robust multitasking capabilities, reminiscent of the original Amiga's multitasking OS. This OS should be open-source or at least developer-friendly to encourage hacking and customization.

6. Expansion and IO: A wide array of ports and expansion slots to accommodate various peripherals and accessories, including USB, Ethernet, audio in/out, and GPIO pins for interfacing with external devices and sensors.

7. Networking: Built-in Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity for seamless networking and internet access, enabling online collaboration and sharing of projects.

8. Compatibility: Backward compatibility with classic Amiga software and hardware, possibly through emulation or hardware emulation solutions, to preserve the rich heritage of the platform while still allowing for innovation and experimentation.

9. Community Support: A vibrant and supportive community of developers, hobbyists, and enthusiasts dedicated to exploring the potential of the platform and sharing knowledge and resources.

10. Documentation and Resources: Comprehensive documentation, tutorials, and development tools to empower users to create and modify software and hardware for the platform easily.

By incorporating these features, a modern Amiga successor could capture the spirit of the original system while appealing to today's hobbyists and hackers, offering a unique blend of nostalgia and innovation in the world of computing.

pixie 
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 12:39:36
#5 ]
Elite Member

@agami
The best I got was from Gemini*, the rest is just fluf, groq is fast fluf though xD

Quote:

Here's what an Amiga successor would need to capture the spirit of hacking and hobby computing in today's landscape:
Essential Specs:

1. Powerful, Open-Source Processor: An architecture like RISC-V would be ideal. It's open-source, powerful, and allows for custom instruction sets for multimedia tasks, echoing the Amiga's custom chips.

2. Flexible Memory: Abundant, upgradeable RAM to handle modern workflows. Options for fast storage like NVMe would be a plus.

3. Modern I/O: Multiple USB ports, HDMI output, Gigabit Ethernet for high-speed networking.

4. Lightweight, Pre-emptive Multitasking OS: An AmigaOS-inspired OS that prioritizes responsiveness and efficient resource allocation. Ideally, open-source to foster customization.

Differentiating Components:

1. Dedicated Multimedia Hardware: A modern take on the Amiga's custom chips – a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) for smooth visuals and video editing, and a powerful Audio Processing Unit (APU) for high-fidelity sound.

2. Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA): An FPGA allows for custom hardware hacking and experimentation, replicating the Amiga's expandability and encouraging enthusiasts to create unique peripherals.

3. Community-Driven Development: A strong focus on open-source drivers, tools, and documentation to empower the community to develop software and hardware extensions.

Competing with Modern Options:

1. Cost-Effectiveness: The price point should be competitive with popular single-board computers like Raspberry Pi, while offering superior multimedia capabilities.

2. Ease of Use: While offering power for tinkering, it should be user-friendly enough for beginners to jump in and start creating.

3. Software Ecosystem: A vibrant community creating tools, games, and applications specifically designed for the platform would be crucial.

By incorporating these elements, an Amiga successor could carve a niche in the hobbyist market, attracting those who crave the open tinkering spirit and powerful multimedia potential that defined the original Amigas.

* I get genesi stuck in my brain don't know why xD

Last edited by pixie on 17-Apr-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Last edited by pixie on 17-Apr-2024 at 12:41 PM.

agami 
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 12:46:09
#6 ]

@pixie

I like this response even more.

Hammer 
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 15:04:23
#7 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

Quote:

DiscreetFX wrote:
@OneTimer1

AI already bored me when it lists one of the requirements being DirectX. Apple seems to do fine without this. If you're running Windows Apps sure, I would hate to be without DirectX, but for Apple & Amiga this will probably never be required.

There's MoltenVK Vulkan-to-Metal translation layer.

Valve's Proton (DXVK) shows the way to detach DirectX from Microsoft.

Hammer 
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 15:10:18
#8 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

1. NVIDIA RTX GPUs have a custom RISC-V CPU

RISC-V with custom instruction sets for multimedia tasks echos custom PA-RISC-based Amiga Hombre.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 17-Apr-2024 15:22:28
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Sounds like an interesting way to do it. I’ll have to investigate further when I have time.

Hans 
Posted on 18-Apr-2024 1:39:04
#10 ]
Elite Member

@all

The next thread topic: AI attempts to build an Amiga computer successor...

cdimauro 
Posted on 18-Apr-2024 6:12:22
#11 ]
Elite Member

Gemini gave the most reasonable answers, but by giving a over look at them the suggestions are basically to... have a PC as the next Amiga.

pixie 
Posted on 18-Apr-2024 7:01:51
#12 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

I think there's some points that could be key:
'Lightweight, Pre-emptive Multitasking OS: An AmigaOS-inspired OS that prioritizes responsiveness and efficient resource allocation. Ideally, open-source to foster customization.'
If you could have an OS that could hit the metal to reduce the lag, like on mouse, keyboard... that would differentiate and at the same time bring it closer to legacy, having only a careful subset of hardware supported would help toward this goal. In that regard, having an integrated FPGA helping it capitalize on the past glories faithfully would also be great. And I think that somehow the raspberry is also close to the hackable computer that Amiga could also stand for. In the end, pair it with a CRT, obviously! xD

amigang 
Posted on 18-Apr-2024 7:10:05
#13 ]
Elite Member

The more I play around with Ai the more I realise that how you ask the question really matters and that you still need to know stuff and to check errors, but it still impresses me what it can do.

I asked “what would the world be liked if Commodore had’nt gone brankrup an d continue to develop the Amiga line.â€

Quote:
If **Commodore** had not faced financial troubles and continued to develop the **Amiga line of computers**, the world of computing might have taken a fascinatingly different path. Let's explore the possibilities:

1. **Multimedia Revolution**: - The **Amiga** was ahead of its time with advanced hardware, custom graphics chips, and dedicated sound capabilities. - If Commodore had continued investing in the Amiga, we might have seen even more groundbreaking innovations in multimedia. - Imagine a world where the Amiga's graphics and sound capabilities evolved further, influencing digital art, animation, and music production.

2. **Productivity and Multitasking**: - The **AmigaOS** allowed users to run multiple applications simultaneously, a rarity in the mid-1980s. - Had Commodore continued development, multitasking might have become a standard feature across computing platforms. - This could have significantly impacted productivity, making it easier for professionals to work efficiently.

3. **Gaming and Entertainment**: - The **gaming industry** embraced the Amiga, hosting iconic titles like "Lemmings" and "Shadow of the Beast." - A thriving Amiga ecosystem could have led to even more diverse and innovative games. - Additionally, the Amiga's multimedia capabilities might have influenced early interactive entertainment and virtual reality.

4. **Graphics and Design**: - Graphic artists loved the Amiga's custom graphics chip, which supported up to 4096 colors on screen simultaneously. - Continued development could have made the Amiga a go-to platform for graphic design, animation, and visual effects. - Perhaps we'd have seen early versions of software like Photoshop or Illustrator optimized for the Amiga.

5. **Music and Soundtracks**: - Musicians and composers were drawn to the Amiga's high-quality stereo sound output. - If Commodore had persisted, the Amiga might have become a staple in music studios. - Imagine influential albums and soundtracks created exclusively on Amiga hardware.

6. **Alternative Computing Landscape**: - The Amiga's success could have disrupted the dominance of IBM-compatible PCs and Apple Macintosh. - We might have had a more diverse computing landscape, with Amiga-based systems coexisting alongside other platforms.

7. **Community and Enthusiasts**: - Despite Commodore's bankruptcy, dedicated **Amiga communities** continue to keep its spirit alive. - Had Commodore survived, these communities might have thrived, fostering ongoing development and support. In summary, a world where Commodore continued to nurture the Amiga line would likely have been marked by artistic innovation, enhanced productivity, and a unique computing experience that blended creativity and functionality. While we can only speculate, the legacy of the Amiga remains a testament to its impact on the computing world¹².

Wish we lived in that universe

Hammer 
Posted on 18-Apr-2024 7:24:43
#14 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Modern PC CPU bus is protected by legal protections, hence any CPU upgrades are locked by Intel or AMD. VIA is locked out.

Classic Amiga platform has open CPU upgrade paths.

pixie 
Posted on 18-Apr-2024 7:59:09
#15 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Most of it were achieved elsewhere, we're somehow living in that universe.

agami 
Posted on 19-Apr-2024 4:03:56
#16 ]

@cdimauro

Quote:
cdimauro wrote:
Gemini gave the most reasonable answers, but by giving a over look at them the suggestions are basically to... have a PC as the next Amiga.

Yes, Gemini's response went the furthest beyond the plainly obvious.

As far as the next Amiga being just a PC: Everything can be boiled down to it's essential and constituent qualities. The Amiga was at the end of the day just another 68k personal/home computer of the late '80s and early '90s. There were more things in common across Amiga, Apple, and Atari hardware and software than there was unique. And that was during the nascent days of the personal computer, when standards for many things were not yet ratified.

With the high levels of maturity in standards within the late stages of the current 2nd computing revolution, it's no surprise that something like an X1000 or X5000 from A-EON is essentially a PC with an embedded PowerPC CPU.

Even a Raspberry Pi, despite it's highly embedded and integrated nature, still supports most of the common contemporary computing standards.

Amiga OS, which is a spin on TRIPOS which is a spin on UNIX, is just another disk-oriented operating system (DOS). All operating system in wide use today are based on conventions and standards established in the '80s and '90s. Sure we've added multi-touch for pocket and tablet computers, but laptop and desktop personal computing is still based on the '80s WIMP convention.

To a friend who has never seen an Amiga I showed Amiga OS 3.9 running on my A4000 040@40MHz on a 1080p screen driven by ZZ9000 RTG card, and as I told him the Amiga was a computer that was not produced past 1995 he proclaimed "Wow, it looks like other systems we have today".

This is why computing is so boring to someone like me. I've essentially been using the same hardware and software conventions for the past 36 years. Hardware gets faster, the UI gets a new coat of paint, and the UX gets a few quality of life improvements, but it's really not wildly different from three decades ago.

Is it because at the end of the day we are all human? For the most part we all have very similar cognition systems, two eyes, two ears, two hands, ten fingers? Are the HW SKUs and nuances in how operating systems and apps work as varied as we humans are varied? Then we throw in human adaptability, and we meet technology half way. We compromise on our ideal MO in favour of selecting from the operating modes provided to us. Are there only two kinds of people?

amigagr 
Posted on 20-Apr-2024 15:24:08
#17 ]

@OneTimer1
conclusion: buy the best windows pc you can afford.
i would say the same without been an ai if you asked me.
of course i prefer aos4 but nobody is perfect...

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle