Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  7 mins ago
 matthey:  14 mins ago
 pixie:  18 mins ago
 kriz:  28 mins ago
 deadwood:  35 mins ago
 amigakit:  49 mins ago
 kolla:  57 mins ago
 Martin:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 eliyahu:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  High CPU usage with DMA enabled?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Bobsonsirjonny 
Re: High CPU usage with DMA enabled?
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:38:02
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Victim

As a parent you need to protect your children - but to protect them from someone saying "kiss my arse" smacks of over protection. Explain to them that its not a polite request. They can hear worse in the film Hook - a U rated film. (It has two counts of the use of the word "bugger").

I was concidering purchasing Papyrus. Now I wont bother, why support Titan, when they do there best to destroy us?

Profile     Report this post  
mjohnson 
On the subject of Office Apps.
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:55:21
#42 ]
From: going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

@tomazkid

Quote:
Apparently MS-Office lacks one important feature, and that is the possibility to save files as xml.
So screw .doc, use xml, MS-office can read xml, and xml is supported by both Star-Office and open-Office.

Well, quite frankly, I endorse OpenOffice rather strongly whenever I get the chance, as an alternative to M$-office. There was some consideration at work a while back to purchase M$-office (we're not traditionally an office, you see ), just to be able to read various Word and Excel files we got sent to us. I adviced against it and proceeded to install OO there, which has been working like a charm since.

I also just made my mom ditch her M$-Office and switch to OpenOffice as well. That way she can export anything she's working on as PDF's, and e-mail them to me for checking out in case it's a project I'm involved in, and I won't have to boot into Debian and fire up OpenOffice myself. (I don't know about M$ Word today, but her ancient Word won't save PDF's, apparently)

So while there are alternatives to sending someone .doc files, you don't always have a choice in what you get sent to you. Also, I can imagine instances where you'd be more or less required to submit something as a .doc file.

So, while I agree totally with "screw .doc", sometimes it's inevitable to happen the other way around.

nzv58l 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 20:56:13
#43 ]

@Samwel

Sounds like he is a fair weather fan! I think it will be his loss. The first to bring a major office to the Amiga will be cornerstone like the DPaint of old. We have only had an OS to run on our A1's now for a couple of weeks and yet we are sold out of every A1 board there is. In Gary Hares speach he mentioned 100,000 as a small number.

The A1's future will be very bright with investers with deep pockets that are willing to wait years for results. This patience will pay off for them.

If I were him and I felt the way he does then I would have simply explained that there are no funds available to do a port at this moment and not enough customer base to justify a port. Of course I don't.

Quote:
So tell me any reason why we should invest any money in such a small market ? Without any guaranties

I think the answer is that you sometimes need to invest in the short term to gain in the long term. There are no guaranties in any business. The more risk you take the bigger the reward. I think with what I know that the A1 will show itself as a good money maker in the next couple of years.

Look! , I responded without the mention of any other OS...
So if I can do it, he should have been able to do it.

His latest A1 must not be like the one I have! I don't see why DMA is important for an office suite. He is right about the printer support, although I am sure this will not be the case in the next few months. After all, this is just the dawn of a cloudless summer day. It will definitly get brighter.

ssolie 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 23:13:04
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Neko
Quote:
Regardless of all that blabbing above, why isn't there an effort to bring AmigaOne (or Teron) Linux support up to the level of contemporary solutions? I didn't see an answer for that.

The AmigaOne runs AmigaOS and that it what it was designed to do. Hyperion have nothing to do with any Linux stuff on the AmigaOne right now.

I'm curious. Why is the "Developer Relations Manager, Genesi" so interested in running Linux on his AmigaOne?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle