Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 rzookol:  36 mins ago
 Hammer:  37 mins ago
 pixie:  38 mins ago
 kolla:  45 mins ago
 retrofaza:  45 mins ago
 jPV:  57 mins ago
 Torque:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Post Update Questions
Register To Post

PosterThread
RacerX 
Post Update Questions
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 3:28:01
#1 ]

I just did the OS4 update. Everything seemed to go smoothly, but I have a couple of questions.

1) I noticed the volume name of my update CD was "Unregistered". Does this mean anything? I am a registered OS4 User. I did have to download the update twice because Linux couldn't handle the ZIP file.

2) There are 3 different "slb_v2" files. 2 in the default ("L") directory ("slb_v2_nosfs" and "slb_v2_nolinux") and one in the root directory ("slb_v2"). I chose the one in the root directory. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Regardless, I have it installed and running. Thanks Hyperion!

Profile     Report this post  
Chris_Y 
Re: Post Update Questions
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 8:43:08
#2 ]
Elite Member

@RacerX

Quote:

RacerX wrote:
1) I noticed the volume name of my update CD was "Unregistered". Does this mean anything?

Did you write it using the unregistered demo version of MakeCD?

Chris

Ivan 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 9:31:50
#3 ]

@RacerX

Same here, i didnt use the registered version of MakeCD either. Even tinkered with FryingPan and it also named the CD unregistered. I don't think there is anything to worry about, it boots off the CD and installs everything properly so it all works despite the volume name.

I used slb_nosfs because it's the only one that let me keep a linux partition. I guess it also means i can't use SFS on my amiga partitions. No big loss imho, i always liked ffs anyway.

The one in the root dir also didnt recognise linux so i had no choice really. :) I dont know what the other differences are though. It didnt say in the updater.

Serpi 
Posted on 13-Oct-2004 11:25:53
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Ivan

This is my understanding:
nosfs means you cannot boot with the SLB from a SFS partition, nolinux means, you cannot boot Linux with the SLB from an ext2/3 partition.
If you are booting Linux from an image dd'ed to an partition (using diskboot from UBoot) you can safely use the nolinux version, if you OS4 boot partitions are FFS then you can safely use the nosfs version.

It's all about what partition types the SLB can read, not about the OS that is bootet (for example you can still use FAT partitions in Linux, no matter what the SLB supports).

Ciao, Alfred

RacerX 
Posted on 14-Oct-2004 2:46:41
#5 ]

@Chris_Y

> Quote:

> RacerX wrote:
>> 1) I noticed the volume name of my update CD was "Unregistered".
>> Does this mean anything?

> Did you write it using the unregistered demo version of MakeCD?

> Chris

Um.... Now that you mention it I did. I couldn't get Burn-It or MasterISO to work under OS4 so I used the unregistered MakeCD. That explains it, doesn't it?

RacerX 
Posted on 14-Oct-2004 2:51:29
#6 ]

@Serpi
Quote:

This is my understanding:
nosfs means you cannot boot with the SLB from a SFS partition, nolinux means, you cannot boot Linux with the SLB from an ext2/3 partition.
If you are booting Linux from an image dd'ed to an partition (using diskboot from UBoot) you can safely use the nolinux version, if you OS4 boot partitions are FFS then you can safely use the nosfs version.

It's all about what partition types the SLB can read, not about the OS that is booted (for example you can still use FAT partitions in Linux, no matter what the SLB supports).

Currently I have Linux on IDE drive 0 (in whatever filesystem was in the Debian install), AmigaOS4 is on drive 1 (FFS). I do not currently have a Linux boot partition on the Amiga drive. Which version of the SLB would you recommend?

What about the third SLB, named just "slb_v2"?

Excuse me if these are silly questions, but it's my first experience with a dual boot computer and multiple filesystems.

Last edited by RacerX on 14-Oct-2004 at 03:01 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle