Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 ROMwack:  18 mins ago
 kolla:  28 mins ago
 kamelito:  35 mins ago
 matthey:  42 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  A non fanboy look at the PS3
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
wegster 
Re: A non fanboy look at the PS3
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 20:38:05
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@wegster

Quote:
Motorstorm:
reasonably fun, the demo let's you play either with a truck or a motorcycle/dirt bike. The physics aren't entirely real/could be improved (yeah, I've ridden off-road before), and for some annoying reason, you can't wheelie the motorcycle from what I can tell. They make a big deal over their 'destroyable parts' of vehicles etc, yet it doesn't always seem to work when you wreck, leaving the vehicle entirely unscathed (but of course, your player dies/resets). I haven't yet seen a case where the truck or dirt bike was damaged, but keeps going, with some effect on how it plays, unsure if that is able to happen or not. It IS kinda fun knocking people off their bikes, or ramming them off of cliffs, and the soundtrack is pretty good. I expect this will be a fun multi-player game, but I'm not seeing earth shattering features here...unsure I'd pay $60 retail for it, may wait for the price to drop.

How is the feeling of speed? I have seen videos of motorstorm and it kinda looks like the whole game is going in slow motion.

Demo speed is fine. The demo track is the same track as shown in MikeB's last youtube link, but youtube video is downscaled/downgraded video, the game looks much better than that video. Mainly the lack of a track layout/location overlay is kinda annoying, and you should be able to wheelie/a bit more realism on physics. Not bad, just not seeming to be too much 'real world'/simulation, more of a racing style arcade/competition game vs a simulation with respect to gameplay.

Profile     Report this post  
wegster 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 20:41:29
#82 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Everthing is relative and Resistance isn't perfect. But neither is the much more hyped 'Gears of War', Gears is far slower paced, offers far less varierty and pretty short, yet you see similar graphic imperfections, for instance at a crash site when you look at it from an angle the fires disappear, move you view back towards the crash site the fires reappear, textures taking a short while to be drawn on some occasions and such.

I haven't been making that comparison to GoW, YOU have I'm just commenting on it mainly from a 'what you get for the $/gameplay/comments' perspective. The game is good, it's just not great, and a bit linear for my tastes. MUA by comparison gives you more choices/freedom in how to complete missions etc, as does HL2.

Quote:
What I think is impressive about Resistance is that so much is going on simultaneously without dropping frames. The Half-Life 2 series are truly amazing, but they don't have this much going on at the same time.

Yeah, there's a fair amount of online motion at the same time, without stuttering that I've noticed. But, I'd also expect that to be the case with current gen consoles or higher end gfx equipped PCs nowadays.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 22:00:42
#83 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Overall I think the game is great, IMO more tense than anything I have experienced so far. Anyway people can judge for themselves if there are relevant jeep graphic issues in the following video:

640 x 360 (XVid)
http://www.playsyde.com/leech_3421_en.html

1280 x 720 (only try this on a very fast PC)
http://www.playsyde.com/leech_3423_en.html

But IMO the Stalker is more impressive. (links fixed)

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Jan-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 22:24:56
#84 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Your videos do not work.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 22-Jan-2007 3:01:38
#85 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

I would just comment that I saw both models of the Real PS3 in real boxes (could read the serial # on the tags even) with handles for sale at gamestop and Target here in Michigan. I thought very carefully about buying one. I like the unit a lot. Apparently they are now in ample available supply here.

PS if you are looking for component cables walmart sells cheap GOLD component cables under the Phillips brand, if it does use a standard HDMI or DVI cable on both ends for like $15 a piece.

-Don

wegster 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 21:16:56
#86 ]
Elite Member

Just adding some additional info to the thread...

The PS store seems to be a bit better/less timeouts now.

MUA- I'm at the end, yet once again they seem to have wanted to make the ending 'unique' in using the six-axis controller, in that you need to move it rapidly forward and backwards...a movement which neither this controller nor my wrists are meant to do. In this case at least, the use of 6 axis made the game _worse_, not better...nor are there alternate buttons to use instead of the useless/obnoxious 6-axis movements.

So, the PS3 remains paused and every now and then I'll unpause it to see if my wrists can deal with the obnoxious long term movements the 6-axis controller makes painful.

6-axis is likely fine for flying games, but I hope people stop acting like it's ideal to slam back and forth 'as fast as possible' in games.

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 21:49:48
# ]

@wegster

Quote:
6-axis is likely fine for flying games, but I hope people stop acting like it's ideal to slam back and forth 'as fast as possible' in games.

Hey it worked for Decathlon ...

But seriously... this is just like all other new technology where developers tend to overdo it.

Whether it's motion sensing, rumble, bump mapping, HDR lighting etc... - they all go overboard at first and later on revise it to add to the gameplay rather than annoy/distract.

Look at car games from around 2000 where it was fancy, when you could see a bit of light trails from tail lights and compare it to how it's done today. That happens everywhere

Report this post  
Jorge 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 21:58:24
#88 ]
Cult Member

@DonnieA2

Quote:
component cable

I bought mine from Circuit City. Its an (new) original Sony PS3 one for $19.90 (or it was even less). Seems these cable are now reasonably priced. Haven't seen any HDMI, though.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

jtsiren 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 22:07:51
#89 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

How versatile is the tilt sensor? Am I correct to assume it is basically like a Wiimote without the IR reception and the motion-sensing-friendly shape? Could it do the same things a Wiimote can (minus the IR, rumble and sound)... Hopefully Sony will come out with a more appropriate-shaped sixaxis for motion sensing games later on. I could see that happening.

Until then I think its best use could come as a natural addition to game-playing movements (instead of adding a new control mechanism which can be a bit problematic since the controller-shape really wasn't designed originally to be tilted heavily, unlike the Wiimote). Say, it could notice natural movements we make while playing games (maybe tilting the controller a bit left when steering to the left with a stick) and thus maybe add more urgency to a steer when we are tilting heavily.

It would be interesting to watch one-self from video while playing with a regular controller and see what kind of natural tilting occurs and then think how this perhaps could be incorporated into game design in a way that doesn't feel like a burden, but instead naturally enhances the regular control experience... in a way continuing the sensing of our movement from the point where the analog stick reached its peak value.

The video of the guy throwing a basket ball with the sixaxis was cool, but really underlined how the controller shape just doesn't work for such a game scenario.

wegster 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 23:09:11
#90 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

I may be misremembering, but wasn't decathalon mainly button mashing?

That would be a huge improvement over the froward/back rotation required from MUA final scene...

And yeah, I'm sure you're right, it's being overdone, and may eventually become useful, and not over-used for the wrong reasons. Just annoying to see an otherwise pretty decent game fall for the 'gimmick approach.'

wegster 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 23:15:02
#91 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren
It's hard to say how versatile the 6-axis is, without programming info or perhaps disassembly, which I'm sure someone has done.

From my perspective, the cntroller simply isn't a good shape for some things, or for 'general use.' I agree it will be interesting to see if Sony produces a more 'wii-like' controller in the future.

I also don't know if it has an accelerometer incorporated or not? You can approximate I suppose for those annoying 'back and forth' type movements, but that's not the same as for example, a single straight forward movement, like for a boxing punch being thrown...

Does fight night use the 6-axis at all? (anyone?)

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 23:46:02
# ]

@wegster

Quote:

Well, I suppose it was mostly waggling really

That was what your description reminded me of.

After a round of Decathlon my joystick arm would be more sore than after a good work-out with weights

Report this post  
hatschi 
Posted on 29-Jan-2007 0:15:33
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
@wegster

Quote:

Well, I suppose it was mostly waggling really

Well, see yourself (on PSP though), hehe.

Have fun with the 1500m sprint (3min of frantic button hammering).

Jorge 
Posted on 29-Jan-2007 2:32:58
#94 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

Quote:
Does fight night use the 6-axis at all

Don't know about fight night, but I'm playing Motorstorm and Blazing Angles with it. In Motorstorm its pretty good and responsive, but also challenging. You have to concentrate to make sure the car stays on the track. But this is OK, it feels natural. The Motorstorm Demo I have does not allow to adjust the sensitivity, though.
In Blazing Angels you can also fly the plane with motion sensing. In that case my experience is, its easier to fly the plane with it then without. Its a bit hard to aim, though, and I can't make a complete barrel role. (I was playing Warhawk at the E3 last year, that was a bit better, IMO, and allowed a barrel role with a gesture).
In Resistance its pretty basic, and lately I forget about the feature. You can just push the Chimera off, but when that happens, you are already in big trouble. Usually I don't let them come that near. The move is similar to a boxing move and works accurate, if used.
These two games usually switch exclusively to motion sensing or the stick,but don't allow to use both at the same time.

I am not sure how to rate the motion sensing. Its OK, but sometimes, I don't really use it. It seems to be easier to steer the car e.g. in Motorstorm with the stick, and a motorcycle requires a very sensitive hand. It tilts way to fast.
Leaning on the couch and driving some circles is hard, the controller requires a balanced horizontal alignment. Which means you have to hold it straight to drive straight. Usually if you don't sit straight, your body and hands have some angle to the horizontal axis. That said, to use it, you really have to take it serious and it requires some learning phase. But when you got that, it plays great.

Currently I'm (still) playing Resistance and am still impressed by the depth of the game (which means, I haven't touched Blazing Angels or RR7 since a while).

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle