Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 70 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  22 mins ago
 MagicSN:  37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  48 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 minator:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 davidf215:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 zipper:  6 hrs 6 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  6 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
PosterThread
Cod3r 
Re: Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 3:51:00
#221 ]

@noXLar

Okay, I looked again at the bounties on power2people.org. Open Source Directory Opus Magellan II? I could think about that one...

The two things I already completed will get me a whopping $139.00-About half a day's amount of my salary at work. Now I remember why I never bothered to inquire about the bounties.

Honestly, does anybody really even want the Live USB Aros on Linux? It has been sitting on my hard drive for months...

Profile     Report this post  
Plaz 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 4:30:45
#222 ]

@Cod3r

Quote:
Honestly, does anybody really even want the Live USB Aros on Linux? It has been sitting on my hard drive for months...

Fair game, it's on the list. If ya got it, flaunt it. :)

BTW, the Magellan bounty is to buy the existing code. Porting it probably a separate bounty?

And that's hard hit from the company, but not very surprising. I hope there's other ways you might put your code to good use.

Plaz

fishy_fis 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 4:48:46
#223 ]
Elite Member

Produce something if youre interested, but dont do it expecting to make money. The community is quite small, and split 4 ways besides. Also amigans have been bitten in the arse so many times over the years that an (un)healthy scepticism is part of our nature these days.

Some random guy posting about something he hasnt produced, who thus far has offered nothing but (apparent) excuses as to why he cant even prove what he's proposing is real isnt very condusive to getting many people interested.

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 5:43:43
#224 ]

@Plaz

Is there a place to upload files here? I have a 1GB flash drive image (compressed it would be much smaller). If it is needed as an ISO, give me a day or two to get it together.

Warning, it has whatever version of Aros was current back then. Whoever downloads it will have to replace the Aros binaries.

I only did it for x86.

Quote:

Plaz wrote:
@Cod3r

Quote:

Fair game, it's on the list. If ya got it, flaunt it. :)

BTW, the Magellan bounty is to buy the existing code. Porting it probably a separate bounty?

And that's hard hit from the company, but not very surprising. I hope there's other ways you might put your code to good use.

Plaz

jingof 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 5:46:11
#225 ]

@Cod3r

Quote:
I told him that the firmware and the bootstrap was all mine, the most of the FPGA code and some of the Aros code was mine, the rest was already there.

Cod3r.. have you, by chance, checked out the "Kickstart Replacement Bounties" (phase 1 and phase 2)?

http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?b=1¬e=28367

I dunno.. just struck me that your firmware, bootstrap code and skills, might have some applicability on this very important project.

Anyone that can comment on the latest status on Kickstart replacement? Is it done.. done.? Last I heard, there were still some performance and compatibility issues.

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 5:58:41
#226 ]

@fishy_fis

Ok, ok, ok. You guys don't quit, do you? Whatever-Here it goes...

Solution:

Atari's OS code is GPL. I can use it.

Since I have so many apparent excuses (not), i'll film that and show you what I can do. Then i'll work on it for the Atari platform.

Done-Problem solved.

I will upload one of your bounties seen on power2people.org FOR FREE (I won't even collect the cash) + show my project running Atari OS. Then i'm gone. Really.

Thank you to those who actually understand what I was trying to do, maybe in the future I can help the Amiga in one way or another, but right now, I just don't have time for all the b.s.

KimmoK 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 7:22:54
#227 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

"I just don't have time for all the b.s."

Negative persons often seem to have the loudest voice.
It's annoying that often it is like that on our public forums.
Just keep on lurking and mainly use developer forums, etc..

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

fishy_fis 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 7:58:56
#228 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Pardon? Did I miss something? It feels like youve jumped to the end of an arguement that I missed. I only read the 1st and current page of the thread, so I guess something happened inbetween?

All I was saying is that you should do it for the fun of doing it rather expecting to make any money and that because of the history of amiga hardware it's easy to be sceptical of someone out of the blue saying, "ok, Im doing/Ive done this, but I cant show it to you, will you support me?". Give us something a little more substantial and people will probably be more inclined to offer an opinion.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 9:23:39
#229 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

I have created a compatibility page and will work together with Toni to improve compatibility (expecially games). Right now I am intense testing games and applications

http://www.natami-news.de/html/compatibility.html

For games I boot ADF with WinUAE and Kickstart Replacement (mostly A500). Applications are of course tested in my distribution + Kickstart Replacement

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 9:29:59
#230 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Sorry that it did not go better with your boss...

I think on both sides the start was a little bumpy, I do not have to explain it more again. So lets try to make a new start if you want. What is the problem with the license? Perhaps it can be discussed. When you are still interested you can post on aros-exec.org and explain your problem perhaps there is a solution. Up to now there was never a problem for anyone and codes/software under this license is already used on other projects.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 10:37:17
#231 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

dont let you fool with those bounties, magellan bounty is for opening sources of that application. it has not looked as it will be ever completed from start on. the application in question works already on aros 68k, and there is no bounty for porting and extending this application for other flavors, so you couldnt earn anything here.

as for kickstart bounties thea are complete, even if there is still room for improvements, both developers are working on it further. i dont think you will find any financial motivation on any amiga bounty pages, it can be only seen as partly reward. thats all.

btw i dont understand this constant flipflopping, either you say you wont be disencouraged on your amiga project by anyone and just few posts later you declare you go for atari just because there is a single critic in between. do what pleases and suits you by all means, if it is atari (which you said before, was not demanding enough for your skills) so be it. aros has an open license. read it or ask here:
http://aros-exec.org/
or on the dev board. if he is initially positive you can explain it to your boss. otherwise leave it.

also there are other coldfire development boards that can be used for the project. bbrv has supplied such freescale boards for feasibility tests to natami developers few years ago. as i said its unlikely an industrial board will meet allowance to be distributed as "amiga" nor will it likely meet the price expectations of customers.

Last edited by wawa on 17-Jul-2012 at 10:49 AM.

opi 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 11:24:05
#232 ]
Team Member

@Cod3r

Quote:
Thanks for saying that. A moderator of the site laying a heavy-handed smackdown on a new member, insisting that I "learn how to act 'round here" is out-of-pocket, if you ask me.

I did no such thing. I was explaining to you why you're being questioned, met with skepticism and why this is not an attack on you. Feel free to contact other moderators if you think I went out of my line. Try Moxee or Tomazkid.

Quote:
I guess anyone else here can be sarcastic but the new guy...

You can be sarcastic, just don't expect to win over some people. From what I understand you came here to seek information that will help you with your fun, hobby project. You seems to be knowledgable enough (at least that I get with my limited knowledge about hardware) to give you benefits of the doubt. Some parts of this thread, however, reads to me like "Oh yeah?" -- "OH YEAH?". I was just trying to calm down all parties to not let the meat of this discussion be covered in ashed of yet another, pointless, nuclear war.

We can continue via PM if you want, I'll refrain from commenting and moderating this thread due your obiection and will pass it to another moderator.

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 13:26:46
#233 ]

@fishy_fis

My friend, it could be possible that you have missed something, but that is likely to happen if you only read part of a thread and make a total assessment based on the beginning and the end.

I didn't write the Aros license, and I can't be angry at my employer because they don't know anything about it, and may be wary of me posting their hardware running some software with unknown legal status (in their eyes).

I get it, people here are jaded from the past. But I don't even know the past! I don't care about PPC vs x86 vs ARM, Aros vs Amiga OS, classic vs NG. I care about solid code.

I wasn't even born when the Amiga 1000 was released, so I am like a wide-eyed kid here.

For example, would you go off on a tangent with a five year old boy who drew a picture with crayons and tell him that he needs to better understand art? The he needs better technique? That you don't believe that he can even draw a picture of what he says he can?

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@Cod3r

Pardon? Did I miss something? It feels like youve jumped to the end of an arguement that I missed. I only read the 1st and current page of the thread, so I guess something happened inbetween?

All I was saying is that you should do it for the fun of doing it rather expecting to make any money and that because of the history of amiga hardware it's easy to be sceptical of someone out of the blue saying, "ok, Im doing/Ive done this, but I cant show it to you, will you support me?". Give us something a little more substantial and people will probably be more inclined to offer an opinion.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 13:43:24
#234 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

I do not understand what you want to know now. You know the facts, there are different camps all based on the same API implementing it (with additions). You can decide if you want to join one of the projects and take over tasks. There are a lot of projects that are open and would benefit all flavors (expecially low-level things like drivers). So it is your turn. That you also have made some "not very nice" comments at the start do you know yourself. You must decide what you want to do and do it. If you have something to show people will be interested and if you do something all benefit of there will be applause. Here many are busy doing something and you would be welcome if you do the same.

Cod3r 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 13:45:02
#235 ]

@opi

Maybe not directly, but the implications were pretty obvious. You let all the previous sarcasm directed at me go unchecked, but you said that I should "cut down on the sarcasm, and answer the questions and just move on", when it was obvious that I didn't become sarcastic until I was provoked.

For example, as a moderator, you missed this:

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
@Cod3r

Another attemp to fool the community?

And this...

Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
HA!!
Wait.. your company creates 68k based stuff?

Ok here we go:
I would like an Ares CL AmigaClone running AROS.
Where do I need to subscribe the contract ; )

Need I post more evidence? Surely, I could skim for every instance and make a stronger case, but you get the point.

Where was advice to anyone that they "cut down on the sarcasm"? Both of the members who's examples I used have been members far longer than I, but you said absolutely nothing to them. But me? You know what you wrote.

Not very encouraging to want to work under those conditions. If you read all the previous posts of mine, you'll see that I keep mentioning incessantly that I don't know about the history, and that i'm new to Amiga. That didn't stop the b.s. from flying my way.

I'm sure that you are a reasonable person and can understand my standpoint. And honestly, I didn't even want to go there with you about it, that's why I didn't reply to your post directly. I only said something when someone else noticed what I thought I noticed as well.

I really mean no harm. In my humble opinion, I suspect that i'm not the first to come through here wanting to contribute, only to consider leaving it all behind.

I mean no hard feelings, really. I'm just saying it like it is.

Quote:

opi wrote:
@Cod3r

Quote:
Thanks for saying that. A moderator of the site laying a heavy-handed smackdown on a new member, insisting that I "learn how to act 'round here" is out-of-pocket, if you ask me.

I did no such thing. I was explaining to you why you're being questioned, met with skepticism and why this is not an attack on you. Feel free to contact other moderators if you think I went out of my line. Try Moxee or Tomazkid.

Quote:
I guess anyone else here can be sarcastic but the new guy...

You can be sarcastic, just don't expect to win over some people. From what I understand you came here to seek information that will help you with your fun, hobby project. You seems to be knowledgable enough (at least that I get with my limited knowledge about hardware) to give you benefits of the doubt. Some parts of this thread, however, reads to me like "Oh yeah?" -- "OH YEAH?". I was just trying to calm down all parties to not let the meat of this discussion be covered in ashed of yet another, pointless, nuclear war.

We can continue via PM if you want, I'll refrain from commenting and moderating this thread due your obiection and will pass it to another moderator.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 13:55:15
#236 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

We are now endlessly discussing here who was when "unfair" to whom and such things. Here you are accepted not by talking but by doing. If you f.e. not talk about "buggy code which is surprising to work" but have contributed improvements it would bring much more to all of us. So do something instead of talking. You earn respect by contributing/helping and not by talking.

Naz 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 14:02:51
#237 ]

@Cod3r

already replied

Last edited by Naz on 17-Jul-2012 at 02:03 PM.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 14:03:41
#238 ]
Cult Member

Thanks guys for keeping the amiga community more isolated from the real world.
@cod3r
As for your project regarding atari, i will keep an eye on it, as im also into Atari computers.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

wawa 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 14:04:29
#239 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

well, actually this board is mostly about emotional stuff, like waiting, hoping, dreaming, guessing, being offended... nothing irregular here.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Jul-2012 14:07:15
#240 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW

Really have you read my posts and what he answered... nothing. Just how bad the people are. You must EARN respect in every community, talking about it is not enough.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle