Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  12 mins ago
 Gunnar:  14 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  16 mins ago
 mbrantley:  18 mins ago
 jPV:  27 mins ago
 pavlor:  30 mins ago
 K-L:  39 mins ago
 pixie:  41 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
hth313 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 6-Feb-2019 5:59:43
#1 ]

@BigD

The source code is not the most valuable thing, it is perhaps not even worth much in itself. The valuable things are the people, their interest and what they can and want to do with the Amiga, and the trademarks as they make it possible to brand a product.

Even if AmigaOS is open source, the trademarks would not be. What you can do is sell properly branded products, even with open source. If you want to make a Vampire standalone computer, you can brand it an Amiga with logo and everything. It could even run AmigaOS and Cloanto would earn royalties on it. Yes, you can make your own home made anonymous system without breaking any laws (if you do not call it or label it an Amiga). But given the choice of buying a properly branded ready to use computer for some more, what would you pick? Many would pay a little more to get the genuine product.

You can even sell software upgrades, it contains a ROM, floppies with branded stickers, perhaps even in a box with a manual. Some will just build it from source. But not everyone can burn a ROMs and duplicating the stickers with trademarks is illegal. Just see Worthy, people pay to get the box!

Open source would bring interest and increased interest means larger volumes of sales. Even though you do not earn a lot on each single sale, growing volumes mean increased total revenue and the extra cost for doing that is small.

We have seen what this closed mentality has taken us so far. Do you think more of that is going to suddenly change things into success?

I have already moved to AROS because of the situation, as it is open source. Much more fun for me and it is largely CPU agnostic as well. I do not need AmigaOS in open source, but I would welcome such move. If it stays closed, so be it, it will not change anything for me.

I believe Cloanto is smart enough to realize the possibilities here and that the most important thing is to grow the eco-system long term, not maximize or milk short term revenue. You just have to find a model to get enough revenue now, then fine-tune the machinery to spin faster and smother.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkferrels6-Feb-2019 6:13:40

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle