Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

matthey,  cdimauro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  41 secs ago
 matthey:  56 secs ago
 agami:  6 mins ago
 Hypex:  10 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 Dwyloc:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 towo2099:  5 hrs 22 mins ago
 Marcian:  5 hrs 27 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 13 mins ago
 michalsc:  6 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Missed opportunities to improve the Amiga chipset – 7: the alternative of 32-bit innovations
Register To Post

PosterThread
cdimauro 
Missed opportunities to improve the Amiga chipset – 7: the alternative of 32-bit innovations
Posted on 14-Sep-2024 6:09:46
#1 ]
Elite Member

Having completed our view of the Amiga's 16-bit platform, let us move on to the 32-bit platform (which, however, lays the foundation for possible future evolutions).

English: https://www.appuntidigitali.it/23498/missed-opportunities-to-improve-the-amiga-chipset-7-the-alternative-of-32-bit-innovations/

Dopo aver completato la visione della piattaforma a 16 bit dell'Amiga, passiamo a quella a 32 bit (che, comunque, pone la basi per le possibili, future, evoluzioni).

Italian: https://www.appuntidigitali.it/23356/le-occasioni-mancate-per-migliorare-il-chipset-dellamiga-7-lalternativa-delle-innovazioni-a-32-bit/

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Re: Missed opportunities to improve the Amiga chipset – 7: the alternative of 32-bit innovations
Posted on 15-Sep-2024 0:20:17
#2 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Nice read, good summary of "what IFs" ...

I wonder how do you find Apollo Core`s SAGA chipset concept of overcoming most of mentioned
possible roads to go?
http://www.apollo-core.com/sagadoc/
https://www.scribd.com/document/539527119/Sprites

cdimauro 
Re: Missed opportunities to improve the Amiga chipset – 7: the alternative of 32-bit innovations
Posted on 15-Sep-2024 5:02:58
#3 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@cdimauro

Nice read, good summary of "what IFs" ...

I wonder how do you find Apollo Core`s SAGA chipset concept of overcoming most of mentioned possible roads to go?
http://www.apollo-core.com/sagadoc/
https://www.scribd.com/document/539527119/Sprites

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't access the second link and it seems that there are no other copies of the PDF around, so it's very very difficult to see how it worked and make the necessary evaluations.

I can tell you, from the first link, that the audio partially matches what I've proposed, but there are deep differences.
At first sight, it looks like the philosophy was: "duplicate what's need from AGA". Which is far away from my vision and my proposals.

The only thing that partially matches is expanding the volume from 6 + 1 bits to 8 bits, but I assume that it's just doing it the way that channels 0-3 and 1-2 worked on the Amiga, which is a bit weird, whereas I've proposed a more simple and general-purpose way of handling the outputs in stereo format (and going way further to support quadraphonic and 7.1).

In short: it looks like a patchwork coming from the already very bad AGA implementation. However, and as I've said, I'm not able to make other guesses because I lack the documentation, but from the registers list my forecast is that it would confirm my opinion.

matthey 
Posted on 17-Sep-2024 0:55:24
#4 ]
Elite Member

cdimauro Quote:

In short: it looks like a patchwork coming from the already very bad AGA implementation. However, and as I've said, I'm not able to make other guesses because I lack the documentation, but from the registers list my forecast is that it would confirm my opinion.

Thomas may be a perfectionist, Jens is a very neat programmer and then there is Gunnar. Sigh.

Interesting article. HP fabbed Amiga chip should be Lisa not Alice near the bottom of your article?

https://www.appuntidigitali.it/23498/missed-opportunities-to-improve-the-amiga-chipset-7-the-alternative-of-32-bit-innovations/ Quote:

Some may wonder why the whole system continues to run at 14Mhz and not 28Mhz, for example, since it would have been possible to raise the frequencies as well, two years after the previous one. The answer is that Commodore had to take into account its target market, which is the low cost/mainstream market, so it could not overdo it. In addition, continuing to rely on its MOS foundries was a big problem in terms of scalability (also in frequency), which in fact forced it to turn to HP for the implementation of the AGA’s most complicated chip (Alice: the video controller).

agami 
Posted on 17-Sep-2024 3:25:18
#5 ]

@cdimauro

Thanks. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this well constructed piece.

Afterwards, my mind went to that scene in Apollo 13 when all the engineers are vocally problem solving, and that one engineer chimes in over the din and delivers his "Power is Everything" clarion call.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxMHFwhj90xkgudPdbiP_fZExObTeJZPe6?si=92FZZpuvMiVmRhbh

I guess in the Commodore engineering room they didn't have that person to come in and proclaim "Bus bandwidth is everything", or maybe there was an they were ignored at their eventual peril.

matthey 
Posted on 17-Sep-2024 3:52:37
#6 ]
Elite Member

agami Quote:

I guess in the Commodore engineering room they didn't have that person to come in and proclaim "Bus bandwidth is everything", or maybe there was an they were ignored at their eventual peril.

Jay Miner is the CBM engineer who pretty much pointed out the importance of memory bandwidth when he designed the Ranger chipset using VRAM in 1986 without being asked to. CBM showed how important they thought memory bandwidth was by ignoring him and waiting until 1992 to finally release AGA increasing the bandwidth but only for part of the chipset. The perspective of the Amiga would have been completely different if the Amiga had a high end graphics workstation market. All CBM cared about was a low cost low margin C64 replacement.

cdimauro 
Posted on 17-Sep-2024 5:53:45
#7 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
cdimauro Quote:

Thomas may be a perfectionist, Jens is a very neat programmer and then there is Gunnar. Sigh.

Quote:
Interesting article. HP fabbed Amiga chip should be Lisa not Alice near the bottom of your article?

https://www.appuntidigitali.it/23498/missed-opportunities-to-improve-the-amiga-chipset-7-the-alternative-of-32-bit-innovations/ Quote:

Some may wonder why the whole system continues to run at 14Mhz and not 28Mhz, for example, since it would have been possible to raise the frequencies as well, two years after the previous one. The answer is that Commodore had to take into account its target market, which is the low cost/mainstream market, so it could not overdo it. In addition, continuing to rely on its MOS foundries was a big problem in terms of scalability (also in frequency), which in fact forced it to turn to HP for the implementation of the AGA’s most complicated chip (Alice: the video controller).

Oh, right. It was a lapsus. Just fixed. Thanks!

cdimauro 
Posted on 17-Sep-2024 6:02:38
#8 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:
@cdimauro

Thanks. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this well constructed piece.

Quote:
Afterwards, my mind went to that scene in Apollo 13 when all the engineers are vocally problem solving, and that one engineer chimes in over the din and delivers his "Power is Everything" clarion call.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxMHFwhj90xkgudPdbiP_fZExObTeJZPe6?si=92FZZpuvMiVmRhbh

Great scene. I love this film also because of this: it shows how important is having the right vision. Which unfortunately Commodore engineers which replaced the original team lacked.
Quote:

From what Hammer reported, it was The Land of Confusion there: they have very different ideas on how to evolve the platforms. And they spent so much time on discussions.

Amiga, as it was designed, wasn't all about the bandwidth. It certainly is the most important factor to consider (that's what they had), but even more important was... how to use it to solve specific technical problems. And here you need vision...

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
agami Quote:

Jay Miner is the CBM engineer who pretty much pointed out the importance of memory bandwidth when he designed the Ranger chipset using VRAM in 1986 without being asked to.

Exactly, but his problem was that... he went to ahead with his design, requesting too much at the time.

Ranger would have been a nice project for addressing workstations, but that wasn't Commodore's market.

It could have been ALSO, if the management would have had the right vision (and put the money there, of course) to develop a chipset which was able to address both the game and workstation market, in a scalable way. Which, BTW, it was what they were looking for with the Commodore 900!!!

Their ineptitude is unbelievable...
Quote:
CBM showed how important they thought memory bandwidth was by ignoring him and waiting until 1992 to finally release AGA increasing the bandwidth but only for part of the chipset. The perspective of the Amiga would have been completely different if the Amiga had a high end graphics workstation market. All CBM cared about was a low cost low margin C64 replacement.

matthey 
Posted on 17-Sep-2024 23:30:04
#9 ]
Elite Member

cdimauro Quote:

Exactly, but his problem was that... he went to ahead with his design, requesting too much at the time.

Ranger would have been a nice project for addressing workstations, but that wasn't Commodore's market.

CBM chased the old high resolution workstation market with ECS only to find the market was moving on to high resolution with color which Ranger would have given the Amiga years earlier. Then this high end with color workstation market moved to the high end desktop while CBM was playing follow the leader to catch up. The Amiga started in the lead but rather than continue to lead, as Jay planned, CBM decided to be reactive tech followers. The Amiga needed a high end chipset which could later become the low end chipset when prices came down.

cdimauro Quote:

It could have been ALSO, if the management would have had the right vision (and put the money there, of course) to develop a chipset which was able to address both the game and workstation market, in a scalable way. Which, BTW, it was what they were looking for with the Commodore 900!!!

Even with scalable features like supporting VRAM and DRAM, a high end and low end chipset may have been desirable. Supposedly high end big box Amigas with the low end chipset lacked value. Graphics cards were too expensive to improve the value as could be seen with the A3000UX with A2410 graphics card. The value advantage of using the Amiga for Unix was gone.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle