Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 SHADES:  13 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  17 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 kas1e:  3 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Timberwolf RC1
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
gtmooya 
Re: Timberwolf RC1
Posted on 19-Jul-2012 20:08:44
#21 ]

Epsilon has written a nice article about the RC1 release (includes some useful tips for add-ons): Timberwolf RC1 Web Browser on X1000

Profile     Report this post  
scabit 
Posted on 20-Jul-2012 12:42:03
#22 ]

@gtmooya

Nice write up!

scabit 
Posted on 20-Jul-2012 21:32:52
#23 ]

@gtmooya

Okay, here is what I've been seeing with TW RC1 on my uA1-c with 512M of RAM. My Workbench screenmode is 1280x720 RGB16.

I installed TWRC1 per instructions and put it on a "vanilla" OS4.1.4 partition formatted as SFS 1.286. The only hack I had to this partition was the commodity ToolsDaemon which adds pulldown menus to Workbench. I also added a config for my ethernet to Wifi adapter.

I followed the instructions to ensure I had RANDOM device initialized and cleared and renewed the font cache. Reboot - ready to test it out.

One thing, my internet connection is using a Wifi network which I access using a NetGear WNCE ethernet to wireless adapter. This works fine with IBrowse, OWB, MUI_OWB etc.
During these tests I observe that system RAM begins at about 376M free at boot, then after running TWRC1 only goes down to about 290M or so.

Okay, start TWRC1 - immediately get a DSI error, then an ISI error.
Reboot
Start TWRC1 - Get ISI error after about 3 minutes
Reboot
Start TWRC1 - Get a DSI immediately after saving a bookmark. 2nd bookmark attempt causes ISI.
Reboot
Start TWRC1 - Restore session. Get an ISI error within a few seconds
Reboot
Start TWRC1 - DSI error at startup splash screen. Then get an ISI. Select "Kill Program" but Timberwolf keeps running like nothing is wrong. Strange. Allowing me to browse web then exit okay. So what program did I kill exactly that had an ISI? Is IconX failing?

Set Workbench screenmode to ARGB32 1280x720.
Start TWRC1- Runs oka for about 5 minutes, then ISI error.

At this point I remember something. I use mediatoolbox and sure enough, my SWAP partition is set to NOT mount. I set it to automount and save changes.
Reboot.
Start TWRC1 - it runs now for several minutes with no ISI or DSI errors. PErhaps 15 minutes later I get a DSI error, followed by an ISI error when I tell it to ignore the DSI.

I switch my boot partition back to my heavily kludged and hacked OS4.1.4 partition. I then copy TWRC1 over to an empty partition formatted in JXFS.
Start TWRC1 - It runs fine for long periods of time. Bookmarks seem to work, except that I cannot specify a new folder for bookmarks - it just stores them in the main bookmarks directory. TWRC1 now seems to work much better and more stable.

Why?

Two possibilities I can suggest.

1) Is it possible that TWRC1 requires the SWAP partition and if it doesn't have it crashes fairly often?
2) My kludged hacked OS4.1.4 partition has the very latest and greatest drivers and files as per AmiUpdate. I am guessing the TW developers are using even newer files than that (4.1.5 and beyond?). Could it be that there is something different, perhaps even IconX or something not immediately obvious to do with TW that has been updated since OS4.1.4?

Just some thoughts.
I do notice that because of the nature of my Wifi network, TW works great and seems mostly crash free when the connection is good, but when it stutters (as Wifi does around here), TW seems to struggle and eventually crash with either DSI or ISI errors. If I move far enough away from my Wifi unit so the signal is weak, TW crashes fairly quickly. Similarly, when the Wifi unit signal is weak from the Wifi to Verizon, TW crashes quickly.

Just a few observations. Is TW depending on the internet connection speed or throughput somehow in such a way that if it gets jammed then TW overflows some resource or memory?

Scott

joeled 
Posted on 20-Jul-2012 21:41:56
#24 ]
Cult Member

@scabit

Did you try to reach facebooks homepage? Its one of the pages i cant reach. No problem to reach it using a win7 computer.

scabit 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 3:32:46
#25 ]

@joeled

No, when I log into facebook using a bad name or password, I immediately get a screen showing me I have used the wrong login. But when I try logging in using the correct ID and password, TW shows that it is waiting for facebook ... forever. It is not a throughput problem, I think facebook doesn't like something about TW and won't send the data.
I have a similar problem with yahoo mail classic. I can log in, but when I try to check my inbox or spam, I see the little blue "loading..." text for several seconds, then it goes away and nothing ... the screen never goes to my inbox or spam.

Scott

tommysammy 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 3:44:17
#26 ]
Cult Member

@scabit

I can confirm that Facebook works well with Timberwolf here on my X1000.
I don^t have any trouble

Last edited by tommysammy on 21-Jul-2012 at 03:52 AM.

eroom 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 7:45:43
#27 ]

Just to confirm, Facebook works here with Timberwolf on my Sam 460.

Toaks 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 9:04:48
#28 ]
Elite Member

@tommysammy

yes facebook works here too.

this update (release candidate 1) feels much faster but it still feels like its not "realtime" and it feels more like its on a windows machine than on an AmigaOS one.

Scroll wheel, waiting a few ms and then it scroll, click 1 item*/button and wait couple of ms and it loads.
Its not that its slow loading or whatever but its full of delays..... maybe its just me.

PS:OWB had the very same problem in the first year or so, so i am sure this will be solved over time unlike how it still is on just about every windows machine i have tried.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 9:58:26
#29 ]

@scabit

You could try adjusting your AmigaOne's DNS settings.

I've experienced network lags (of 30 seconds or so) in the past on MorphOS when I've had my DNS set to my internal router (192.168.0.1). I think problems arise in some cases where DNS is daisychained like: Client>Router>Modem>ISP rather than Client>ISP - it probably depends upon your model of router/modem though. Funnily, I've had no porblems with PC/Mac on the same network settings.

Try using google's DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) and see if it makes a difference. Easy to change back if no effect.

Regards

Rich

gtmooya 
Posted on 21-Jul-2012 11:39:17
#30 ]

@scabit

Working well here, albeit slowly, on Sam440 733MHz 512MB and JXFS parition. For speed this feels the fastest to date, soon I think it could be usable as default browser.

Facebook working fine here, are you using the remember passwords function? Something similar happened to me with Firefox recently when it remembered an old password.

younghippie 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 22:37:09
#31 ]

Hallo everyone.

On my daily walk around the net I found something strange. http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=44 Did the frieden brothers really finished timberwolf or give up so close to the day of completion? Does anybody more about this crazy thing?

Troels 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 23:07:37
#32 ]
Elite Member

@younghippie

With RC1 out we (the bounty team) decided that bounty requirements were met. Of course we hope that new bugs will be fixed and speed and stability improved over time but all in all the Friedens have met the requirements.

"The goal of the project is a port of the Firefox web browser and associated technologies to AmigaOS 4.1. The port should not depend on any emulation techniques like using an X server or GTK; the goal is to make a real port that has as many AmigaOS specific features as possible. "

Money was transferred yesterday and at the same time bounty was closed.
If anyone wants to make more donations please get in touch with the Friedens directly

Tomppeli 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 23:25:00
#33 ]

Congratulations !

(PS. This post was made using Timberwolf.)

Last edited by Tomppeli on 24-Jul-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Swoop 
Posted on 25-Jul-2012 1:58:28
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

It would have been nice to get issues sorted before the bounty was signed off.
I cannot use Timberwolf as my default browser, and because of the bounty being marked as finished I cannot look up the status of any of the 110+ oustanding issues.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

wawa 
Posted on 25-Jul-2012 2:49:01
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop

i dont think they will just run away with the money. it takes some personal dedication to bring a project that far, and the amount of money is hardly worth the amount of work needed, therefore hardly a worthwhile compensation except the programmers are otherwise unemployed. on aros bounties are also handed over pretty quickly, yet none runs away as yet just after the bounty is closed. quite the contrary.

Troels 
Posted on 25-Jul-2012 8:58:29
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Swoop
Development has not stopped.
http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissues&softwareid=19

djrikki 
Posted on 25-Jul-2012 9:13:51
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

Yup I see rc2s in there

djrikki 
Posted on 25-Jul-2012 9:20:28
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

Yup I see rc2s in there

Troels 
Posted on 25-Jul-2012 9:25:33
#39 ]
Elite Member

@djrikki
Exactly

cgutjahr 
Posted on 25-Jul-2012 11:36:05
#40 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

i dont think they will just run away with the money

I don't think so either, but it brings up the question as to who decides when a bounty is finished. We're talking about nearly 7000 Euros here, I find it somewhat strange that the donors have to find out themselves that the bounty has been closed and the money was already transferred. Perhaps this process should be finetuned somewhat for future (big) bounties and include a simple voting process or something like that.

And even if nobody's going to complain in public, I don't think you could describe the project as "finished". Cookies don't work reliably, navigation buttons vanish occasionally, and it was never part of the bounty description that there would be zero hardware acceleration (I know, I know - hardware acceleration is obsolete...). And while the bounty description was too vague anyway, having no AmigaOS specific features isn't my preferred definition of "as many AmigaOS specific features as possible".

Again, I'm not implying that the Friedens are going to take the money and run - if that was the plan, they should have done so a decade ago. But for me as a bystander, this sends the wrong message.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle