Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 50 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  17 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 roschmyr:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 gryfon:  3 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertB 
Re: announcement of the new batch of x1k on amigakit
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 7:35:07
#161 ]

Amigadave wrote:
Quote:
Ask him how many C-One computers he had built...

Quote:
...and what percentage of them he sold at the original price he offered them at.

Over a hundred have been sold (however, at the original price? Well, the price kept going up over the months/years.)

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 28-29 Commodore Vegas Expo v8 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 10:28:07
#162 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

better though than if it had to be stored forever due to no demand.

To avoid this situation they ask potential customers to register their interest.

Quote:
i think storage, even months, costs less than such a board that doesnt find its customer.

It is not sold until it is paid by a customer. Until it is paid all costs are running for them and there is a risk that the customer cancels his order.

Quote:

on the other hand it looks like each x1k is at least throughout tested before the shipment, which is in case of practically hand made hardware quite a good idea, id say. generally they seem to know what they do.

They have to be tested because some boards are always faulty. If you dont do that you are stuck with dealing issues with your customers.

olegil 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 10:39:55
#163 ]
Elite Member

@Breed

If you think an X1000 is expensive, try owning a pair of horses.

If I didn't have horses, I would definitively have an X1000 by now

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 11:00:56
#164 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

But you could not ride on a X1000 then

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 12:01:08
#165 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:

damocles wrote:
@terminills

Quote:
I manage my money fine. The x1000 is not cheap and in 95 you couldn't buy a more powerful PC for $300.

In 1995, I would have thought you were mad if you told me the CPU(s) power of mobile phone like the Galaxy SIII.

[sarcasm on]

Hmmm - in 1995 I already thought that all these poor minds that think presenting themselves as "important people" by using their mobile phonie toy all the time are stupid.
And even today I'm still convinced they are...

[/sarcasm off]

Up to now I do not want to be available all the time.

I love my spare time and don't want to get phone calls from my boss during my spare time.

My spare time is very rare and therefore expensive.

I don't want to waste it by being available all the time - at some point there has to be leisure-time...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 12:09:59
#166 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@Toaks

And if people want to have an Amiga they could get it from CUSA a machine capable to run the most advanced desktop OSes.

Those who want an Amiga want to run their old Amiga OS/software/Games natively on it - and this is something CUSAs super-duper so-called Amigas simply can not accomplish.

Therefor CUSA machine are worthless for me - I already have cheaper ways to run Linux if I really wanted...

Last edited by Dandy on 04-Jul-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Dandy

olegil 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 12:12:19
#167 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

can't bloody well surf the internet on a horse either

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

wawa 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 12:13:52
#168 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
@wawa Quote: better though than if it had to be stored forever due to no demand. To avoid this situation they ask potential customers to register their interest. Quote: i think storage, even months, costs less than such a board that doesnt find its customer. It is not sold until it is paid by a customer. Until it is paid all costs are running for them and there is a risk that the customer cancels his order.

but you contradict yourself just in two following statements;)..
see for yourself: they can estimate the demand and receive some securities registering interest and taking prepayments, but in the end the deal is done after the product has been paid and shipped, until then its a calculated risk for both sides.

from that point of view producing small batches on demand rather than risky big batches without a certainty to sell them off is the sanest thing to do, i would proceed exactly like that.

Quote:
They have to be tested because some boards are always faulty. If you dont do that you are stuck with dealing issues with your customers.

sure, a big factory with standardized product range will have facilities to handle it fast, but amigakit will have to do everything by hand, setup, testing.. takes time.

Dandy 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 12:41:36
#169 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@OlafS25

can't bloody well surf the internet on a horse either

Hmmm - I saw an report about surfing dogs on TV recently - but surfing horses? Never heard of...

Dandy

gerograph 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 14:28:38
#170 ]
Cult Member

@amigakit

Quote:
We very much care. The Amiga is our only business. We do not have any other sid

Sorry, you do care indeed, no doubt about that. My post was a bit missleading, this is what I wanted to express:

As your "cashcow" (if you could call it like that in a niche market) seems to be Classic + ACube, it is more than logical to invest most of your time into that. So my comment #147 was aimed at X1000 only. IMHO there is no point in investing all your time into packaging and shipping all FirstContact orders within a week or so. I can Imagine lot of reasons, why only 1 or 2 (?) X1000 are shipped per work day.

It was not my aim to offend you

regards Gero

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

OldFart 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 14:36:05
#171 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@amigadave

Quote:
Makes me wonder what my brand new, never used, complete in the original box, NTSC CDTV with Carl Sassenrath's signature on the inside of the top half of the case will be worth in 5 to 10 more years?

Depends on whether Carl is still alive then.

OldFart

LqM 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 19:58:39
#172 ]

@Darrin

Quote:

Darrin wrote:
@Seiya

And what others want to spend their money on is their business (which is why I'm surrounded by 70s and 80s computers).

Feel free to buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-COMMODORE-128D-vintage-computer-and-keyboard-RARE-/260973919535?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3cc341fd2f

Impressive museum piece!!! ...but... way cheaper on another mint 128D here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mint-condition-COMMODORE-128D-vintage-computer-very-rare-w-keyboard-and-manual-/251097321406?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3a76910fbe#ht_774wt_1139

Darrin 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 20:46:06
#173 ]
Team Member

@LqM

That's more like it.

Not a 128D, just a 128 wedge, but look at this for yellowing!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-128-computer-1902A-monitor-/271005637913?_trksid=p5713.m2062&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D26%26meid%3D376264734083159779%26pid%3D100042%26prg%3D1010%26rk%3D7%26

Last edited by Darrin on 04-Jul-2012 at 08:53 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 22:41:22
#174 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
Those who want an Amiga want to run their old Amiga OS/software/Games natively on it - and this is something CUSAs super-duper so-called Amigas simply can not accomplish.

The only Commodore Amigas that can run old 68K code (OS/Games/Apps) natively are A1200 and A4000 less you mean OCS/ECS based software then we can talk about the OCS/ECS Commodore Amigas as well. Since the masks were destroyed (AFAIK) ten years ago, it's unlikely you are ever going to see a native OCS/ECS/AGA 68K based Commodore Amiga being produced again.

For my tastes, UAE runs what I need to run of the old software just fine so I don't have issue with emulation.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 22:59:16
#175 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
if you have the money way the hell not use its, no fun having it sitting unused in the bank account.

Funny mentality to have in an economic downturn Maybe if we all splash our money around we'll buy our economies out of trouble! Sounds like Gordon Brown UK economic policy from 2006 if you ask me!! Look where that way of thinking has led us!!!

If A-EON can't prove that the X1000 has a long term future then there is no reason to invest in it just because it runs OS4.x. 2 years after it was demoed at the VCF I have no idea if Amigakit will ever have any in stock long enough for me to pay attention and consider one! I have no idea when dual core support will be added and I have no idea if I'll be able to buy Wipeout 2097 a 14 year old PPC game on an webstore in a form that will run natively on a X1000.

This product would never stand up on Dragon's Den! If this was Dragon's Den, Trevor would stand there, pull a cover off the machine and just utter the words "it's an Amiga, keep the party going. Enough said". Duncan Bannatyne would ask what it does that a £200 netbook can't do and we'd all be stumped!!!

AmigaOS isn't the be all and the end all. We need software that sets the Amiga apart or this expensive duck is dead in the water. Enjoy your investment but don't kid yourself this is a real computer platform unless we have a way of selling software online! We don't have Special Reserve, Alive Mediasoft etc any more we can't keep this going with PD stuff off OS4 Depot!

Rob 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 23:06:52
#176 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
Since the masks were destroyed (AFAIK) ten years ago, it's unlikely you are ever going to see a native OCS/ECS/AGA 68K based Commodore Amiga being produced again.

The chipsets have since been reverse engineered in a number of different projects so a single ASIC solution could be manufactured if someone had the licenses, money and inclination.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 23:11:10
#177 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

I think Dandy means whit out UAE, AmigaOS is ported to PowerPC, any thing that uses native libraries and system is regarded as native, same whit MacOS9/PowerPC running 68k applications.

AmigaOS4.x on the other only runs on PowerPC chips, runs native, does not depend on Linux, has native libraries and drivers and devices, runs 68k application native thanks to recompilation whit JIT.

Every thing CUSA does: CommodoreOS/VicOS/WorkbenchOS/WhatEverOS is Linux distribution stuffed whit C64 or Amiga emulators, technical speaking you do all that your self, whit any standard PC, emulators heaven? Dead end for Amiga software and hardware, from now on its about skinning Linux, if you have used Linux from some time, notice quickly how idiotic all different dependency on .so files and now often you need type some thing in xterm to install or do some thing that is so easy on AmigaOS, but so difficult on Linux, pretty soon get sick of reading howto guides.

If you like Linux then your free to chose Linux and CUSA, but we who are following this thread and not just trolling, and taking out of our ass, are Interested in AmigaOS4.x / Hyperion / AEON and new hardware that works whit AmigaOS4, Linux is not interesting.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Jul-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Jul-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 23:18:28
#178 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Funny mentality to have in an economic downturn Maybe if we all splash our money around we'll buy our economies out of trouble! Sounds like Gordon Brown UK economic policy from 2006 if you ask me!! Look where that way of thinking has led us!!!

The recession we've been in for the the past few years is actually due to a lack of private spending.
Gordon Brown got us into trouble because he was reckless and also encouraged recklessness within the financial sector. Not that they needed much encouragement.

Quote:
I have no idea if Amigakit will ever have any in stock long enough for me to pay attention and consider one!

Either you want one or you don't what bearing does AmigaKit holding them in stock have on the decisiion?

Quote:
This product would never stand up on Dragon's Den! If this was Dragon's Den, Trevor would stand there, pull a cover off the machine and just utter the words "it's an Amiga, keep the party going. Enough said". Duncan Bannatyne would ask what it does that a £200 netbook can't do and we'd all be stumped!!!

It's not as if anything Amiga related in the last 10 years would have made it past the dragons so I don't see the point. So I don't see why you bring such a notion into the equation.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 23:25:40
#179 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Sorry bout what has this to do whit AEON or AmigaONE-X1000, the market is what it is and price is what it is, if you have money I see nothing wrong whit spending it.

If not then buy some thing else no one is forcing anyone to buy anything, what ever trouble you have corrupt banks in England, problems whit economy in Greece or Spain does not make AEON criminals, If need lone or down payment to buy some then you should not buy it.

Or maybe we should all stop buying stuff because people in Africa can afford anything, like that is going to solve the economy.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-Jul-2012 at 11:29 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-Jul-2012 23:25:54
#180 ]

@OldFart

Quote:

OldFart wrote:
@amigadave

Quote:
Makes me wonder what my brand new, never used, complete in the original box, NTSC CDTV with Carl Sassenrath's signature on the inside of the top half of the case will be worth in 5 to 10 more years?

Depends on whether Carl is still alive then.

OldFart

I am pretty sure Carl Sassenrath is going to out live me, so no use me considering what it will be worth after he is gone, unless I will the CDTV to my kids with instructions to hold on to it until Carl has moved on, or returned to dust. I doubt that it's value will jump after Carl, or any of the other original Amiga programmers are gone. It will just continue to increase in value to a very small number of collectors, until there are no more Amiga collectors. There are probably only a few Amiga collectors left right now, and will be less with every passing year.

Sorry, I know this reply is way too long for your joking reply to my joke of a statement about my CDTV's worth.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle