Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 70 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 Hypex:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 27 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 37 mins ago
 allegewould:  7 hrs 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  So Where is the Mystical OS4 Laptop??:
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: So Where is the Mystical OS4 Laptop??:
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 10:25:14
#161 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

But there is really a long list of stuff to wait for, no need to worry about that
what you and your friends always complain about is really the wrong things, I guess its because the alternatives is not any better.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 18-Jun-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 10:34:45
#162 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

What "wrong things" do you exactly mean?

And I am personal concentrating on software-side now because there is the biggest problems. Hardware is on my side no issue

vox 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 10:47:47
#163 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
the hype will stay until there is MESA/Gallium, MP, 64bit and Multicore-support. So propably until forever . But at least people have something to hope for... As I wrote from my point of view lack of software and affordable competitive hardware is a bigger problem than the mentioned missing features.

I do agree. Since I am on a wait list for X1000, I would personaly be more disappointed if e.g. TW, OO and 3D driver are not finished then by mentioned advanced features - since idea of computer is basic productivity. Not that I would mind those advanced features that would speed up software greatly on X1000 - but there is no point in speed up with no software. Therefore, personally I do see e.g. Amicygnix, OO and TW as even more important projects then OS 4.2 itself.

On hardware side, cheaper one would mean possible more users, but again - once there is software for it. So in this current competition when we do have some hw choices, sw is of greater importance. HW you will buy once +- smaller upgrades.

I do believe MOS situation where OS is quite polished and HW cheaper even well demonstrates the SW situation. More users don`t automatically mean more developers, even they do mean more OS licenses, but OS development team can`t do all needed software.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 11:00:17
#164 ]
Elite Member

@vox

I will personal try to concentrate on developer-support (as far as I can). How to install/setup development environments, Wiki/Documentations, a web-based Ticket-system to report errors (planned) and so on. One example is the Developer who ports Antiryad GX to AROS and experienced some problems and I hope to help to minimize this in future. Affordable Hardware is of course no real issue for AROS (in opposite to f.e. AmigaOS). Another idea is to get f.e. 3D-engines ported to the amiga-world so it needs no extra work to support the platform(s).

And the "amiga community/world" must find a new niche in the computer world. Competing with Windows/Mac/Linux on application level makes no real sense so my idea is that (all) OSs are great and efficient for low-spec devices like Raspberry and for gaming (in both cases missing MP and similar is not that important).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Jun-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Jun-2013 at 11:01 AM.

vox 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 11:11:23
#165 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
I will personal try to concentrate on developer-support (as far as I can). How to install/setup development environments, Wiki/Documentations, a web-based Ticket-system to report errors (planned) and so on. One example is the Developer who ports Antyriad GX to AROS and experienced some problems and I hope to help to minimize this in future. Affordable Hardware is of course no real issue for AROS (in opposite to f.e. AmigaOS). Another idea is to get f.e. 3D-engines ported to the amiga-world so it needs no extra work to support the platform(s).

Great, nice and needed.I suppose this is AROS only, but such "school" is badly needed for AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS too. Sadly as no IT professional I have no programming skills, but aware of the situation am ready to support any bounty system to push things forward

AmigaBounty is great website for OS4

I suppose closed projects were closed by lack of developers or someone else taking the project
http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=listbystatus&status=5
(there I do miss exponations why it was closed)

Sadly there were few really finished
http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=listbystatus&status=4
(also misses full info about use and results)

and there are a lot of great suggestions, no one seems to be willing to take
http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=listbystatus&status=0

what could we do to motivate existing developers?

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 11:17:41
#166 ]
Elite Member

@vox

the existing developers already have their projects. And to attract new developers financially the bounties are too low. Then there is (in case of AmigaOS) the problem with the expensive hardware. In some cases it would help to donate hardware but only for certain tasks and time (lend) and not how it was done in the past (my view). Attract commercial development is much more difficult because of the small user numbers so only realistic chance is to make supporting the platform(s) simple and thus cheap.

rebraist 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 14:11:59
#167 ]

Here it is! Please note the ultra rolling polymers monitor!
And it has no Power Chord! It's air powered!
It's beyond green techbnology! This really breathes!

Do you remember when computing was fun? Yes.
Inhale.Exhale.Inhale.Exhale.Inhale.Exhale.
Don't stop otherwise it could shut down.
Inhale.Exhale.Inhale.Exhale.Inhale.Exhale.

Last edited by rebraist on 18-Jun-2013 at 02:13 PM.

vox 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 16:37:21
#168 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
the existing developers already have their projects. And to attract new developers financially the bounties are too low. Then there is (in case of AmigaOS) the problem with the expensive hardware. In some cases it would help to donate hardware but only for certain tasks and time (lend) and not how it was done in the past (my view). Attract commercial development is much more difficult because of the small user numbers so only realistic chance is to make supporting the platform(s) simple and thus cheap.

Well why would not developer set desired bounty and we ll do our best to achieve it in whatever time is needed. He could draw portions of money meanwhile, allowing him to compensate the start with commitment to end it as portions of money go (e.g. 25% bounty to start, 25% on delivering first proofs, 25% on beta release, last 25% on alpha release or similar)

AROS bounties are quite a success, on opposite.
http://www.power2people.org/projects/overview/

Could Power2People be asked to be AmigaOS4 bounty home, too?

I do understand no big software house would bother, even e.g. most of PS3 games are ATI/PPC or there are a lot PPC Mac titles or Linux PPC ports, as a start.

I do agree hardware loaning for developers should exist (at best from Acube/A-EON or Hyperion) since software is what we need now. Specially productivity one.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 16:43:18
#169 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Every bounty can be on power2people as long as it is opensource. In some cases people do not want to have it opensource. I think I read that regarding OWB. But general every bounty could be created on power2people. The site is not just for AROS. Of course most bounties there are AROS related.

The advantage of power2people is they have strict rules. For example you cannot change bounty text after it has started (what has happened with the timberwolf bounty a couple of times if I understood it right)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Jun-2013 at 04:46 PM.

vox 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 16:59:52
#170 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Good, if community pays for it, result should be open source.

Any idea of worthy bounty to set on Power2People that would be AmigaOS 4 related?
Any idea to transfer from AmigaBounty?

Now when paypal has finally come to my contry, I am glad I can do small contribs.

P.S.
Free AROS KS is a major nice achievement for all, out of chains of Amiga Inc

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 17:11:21
#171 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Yes free ROMs are great and important because they are adaptable to new hardware like TiNA .

Regarding AmigaOS I have not much thought about. In Gaming more ported 3D engines would be good (most indy developers today use a off-the-shelf 3D-engine, either commercial or opensource) and there is certainly software missing on all platforms. OpenOffice is in the works already. I am no expert if there is opensource software that is interesting to AmigaOS user.

vox 
Posted on 18-Jun-2013 17:46:03
#172 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Well, any productivity apps could do the magic.
Even porting native apps that exist under AmiCygnix.

Oh yes, any ID Tech engine that has gone open, would be great too ...

But then again, we need productivity too

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle