Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 74 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  31 mins ago
 MagicSN:  46 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  57 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 minator:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 davidf215:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 zipper:  6 hrs 15 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  6 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Save AmigaOS! I can't be bothered.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Seehund 
Re: Save AmigaOS! I can't be bothered.
Posted on 26-Feb-2007 15:36:19
#41 ]

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@The_Editor

Quote:

The_Editor wrote:
@Seehund

Kudos for persistance

Now.... should I sign it ?

Hyperion seem to agree with it nowadays.

Well, Hans-Jörg, Thomas, how about it? :)

Your comments of late certainly seem to suggest that you're not happy with the current situation, and that you acknowledge that the hardware licensing is, if not the, then certainly an effective blocker to ever seeing AmigaOS actually being sold for viable hardware.

I imagine that if AInc and their owners/investors are at all interested in what anyone has to say about AmigaOS4+, then your words might carry some weight.

Remember there's a comment field for disclaimers about not representing the views of employers/contractees... ;)

Profile     Report this post  
Seehund 
Re: Save AmigaOS! I can't be bothered.
Posted on 26-Feb-2007 16:11:43
#42 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@syrtran

Quote:

syrtran wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I understand the frustration, and I do agree with Seehund in principle. The problem I have is that I (and I assume others here) feel that an online petition wasn't/isn't going to change anything. The "compulsory licensing and bundling scheme" was signed long before any of us knew it existed.

I just checked his petition. There's approximately as many signatures as there are the assumed number of A1s/uA1s in existence. If that many people laying down a lot of cold, hard cash didn't get AInc to stop dragging their collective feet, how are a few electrons on the Internet going to change anything?

Those electrons probably won't change a d*mn thing. But I think we need as a community to care more about standing together and less about the likelihood of the success of the effort at this point. Its not like one strategy seems to be working better than another, rather it seems like almost nothing is working. That said why actively discourage someone putting an effort in? Thats all I'm saying.

I think I understand what you're saying, but that almost sounds like "if you're not with us you're against us", which I'm not feeling entirely comfortable with. I have been accused of being "anti-AmigaOS" et c. merely for disagreeing on these distribution policies, which is a very silly accusation. It would be equally silly of us who disagree with AInc's current position if we were to stick similar labels on those who agree with AInc. Yes, I personally might think that what I and ~1400 others are suggesting is the only right thing to do and that those who still agree with AInc are misguided, but either of the "sides" stating their opinions and debating what's best doesn't equal sabotage! No entire community can agree on everything.

The Bad Old Days of AW.net were something else. Back then, posts were deleted and mod-edited based on which opinion they expressed, and the link I added to the petition website got its description changed to say it was a petition against copy protection! That was imposing conformity and "if you're not with us you're against us" all the way. So much for "Amiga Community Portal".

As for "just electrons" and "it won't change anything", well, it could be, and nowadays I'm prone to agree which is why I'm not going to bother with this any more. But saying what we want and then voting with our wallets is all we can do. I feel that unless AInc changes things in the way we suggest, then AmigaOS will lose the wallet-vote (there's not even anything to vote for, and even if there would be something then the "Yes" votes would lose big under the current circumstances).

Profile     Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle