Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 amigakit:  12 mins ago
 pixie:  28 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 Dragster:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 59 mins ago
 A1200:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 HammerD:  5 hrs 38 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  6 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
nicholas 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:14:13
#141 ]

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:
Blimey that's funny, guess what? I'm at work, educating the youth of today.

God Help us! just because you have internet access automatically means everyone does. great rationale.

I read Ken's comments as insinuating that anyone posting wasn't working. You know in that sterotypical "Only American's work" way that some American people have. Not accusing you of it before you think i am.

Maybe I misread it. I'll hide behind my dyslexia like some people hide behind religion.

Profile     Report this post  
Coder 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:21:22
#142 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

Quote:
I'll hide behind my dyslexia like some people hide behind religion.

They still make those cars?

Coder

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:23:35
# ]

Quote:
zutton wrote:

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-Stephen Roberts

Hi zutton,

Welcome to AmigaWorld.Net!

What an excellent quote that I haven't seen before. (I don't see many quotes, as I don't go look for them.)

It's not one immediately clear, especially for closed religious minds.

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:24:52
#144 ]
Team Member

@klesterjr

Don't try. Atheism is a Greek word. Theos is god, while a is a negative prefix. A-theos is the one that believe in no god. Atheia is having no god. Atheism is derived from Atheia.

jkirk 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:25:06
#145 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:
It's most exciting, we MAY reach the end of knowledge, in the next 100 years, really!

alright i'm okay now science answers questions with questions one leading to another. i will add you to the list of millions in the past that thought the same thing. on a similar note nobody needs 1meg memory/64/128/etc. nobody will ever need a faster processor than 400 mhz,1ghz, etc. do you see where i am going with this.

given in 100 years todays questions may be answered but more will be in their place. there is no forseeable end. there is no way to quantify when science ends.

Quote:
Okay, if you tell me about your religious beliefs, and handed me ALL of what it entails, in writing, your Bible, then asked me to tell you about my "beliefs" and put it on a piece of paper, all I'd write is, "everything in your Bible never happened, it's lies, mostly." How could that be called a religion?

simply because that is your belief. true or not there is no hard evidence to support that it is all lies and was written by crooks as you put it.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

AmigaRocks 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:29:16
#146 ]

@nadoom

Quote:
there are many psycological issues involved in this thread

I think you've nailed it Nadoom! Religion is something that cannot be mandated. It is something that is "each man for himself" IMHO. I'm not saying I don't believe in God, just, I may not believe in your God and don't need the constant rhetoric shoved down my throat! I have read the Bible, the Morman Bible, and several other religious texts to form my opinions. Most of the people (zealots) who are trying to convert others to their side, I think are not that well read I personally just ignore religious zealots, though they can be quite annoying at times. After reading all the posts, I remembered this book I read "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. Any of you ever read it Anyway, it is written from the psychological assessment of how man's mind has grown and matured throughout the ages, how symbolism was and is used, and how man's mind has matured and changed in regards to his religious beliefs. It covers religion on a global basis, throughout time. Very interesting. The author quotes Nietzsche several times in the book and on the very last page "Live as though the day were here". I don't think he means live like this is the last day before the Savior comes, but live well and use your time on the planet wisely. This is your shot at it, the only one you will get. All we have is here and now, no guarntee's of an afterlife as this is all theory and religion. Quoting the authors parting words "It is not society that is to guide and save the creative hero, but precisely the reverse. And so every one of us shares the supreme ordeal- carries the cross of the redeemer- not in the bright moments of his tribe's great victories, but in the silences of his personal despair." Reminds me of the old saying about the athiest being "born again" in the trenches while on the battlefield at the brink of death. Its a purely psychological thing I think. Religion has been used to control and move the masses, globally for centuries and will continue to do so as there are "Leaders" and their are "Followers". Just my 2
cents I guess. Anyway, not to offend anyone else, including Billsey, I think we all should do some research and be tolerant of one another

Edits - typos,typos, typos..sorry

Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 05:35 PM.

AmigaRocks!!

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:35:09
# ]

Hi jkirk,

According to the Bible, god doesn't really like us and set us up to fail, and was even AFRAID of us.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:38:11
# ]

@Peg

Does this mean we are going off the burning Billsey idea? Awe... I had a band booked and everything. Oh well society wins again. DAMN YOU SOCIETY - {shakes fist}

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:38:44
# ]

Hi jkirk,

Actually, s/he may hate us.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:41:33
# ]

So why do people say "thank god" after they survive a terrible plane crash?

Surely if god was looking out for them, he would not make them go on the plane in the first place...

Last edited by DruidPoet on 24-May-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:43:13
#151 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi jkirk,

According to the Bible, god doesn't really like us and set us up to fail, and was even AFRAID of us.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:43:25
#152 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

To tell you the truth, I do not know whether or not god exists and I cannot prove either case. I do not worship anyone and I would never do that. A good man is a good man with or without god and a bad man is a bad man with or without god. Now, science does not prove or disprove the existance of god, depends on the interpretation. On the other hand, the bible is full of fairy tales. Why? Not because they wanted to lie but because it was written almost 2000 years ago... People were narrowminded back then, stuff had to be written like that to be understood by common people. Anyone who believes that the Adam&Eve story is literal is IMO dillusional, it's fairytale that doesn't in any way dissapprove evolution. In order for god to fit in this world, if one wants to believe in one that is, He/She has to use the rules "He/She created" to do anything.

jkirk 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:44:10
#153 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi jkirk,

Actually, s/he may hate us.

you crack me up

AmigaRocks 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:44:41
#154 ]

@DruidPoet

Quote:
Does this mean we are going off the burning Billsey idea? Awe... I had a band booked and everything

Yeah, probably should back off on that idea I tell ya what. I have several friends who are writers (for a living) and every one of them is an athiest! We are still friends and hang out and have fun anyway. The only thing they ask of me is - don't preach to us- and the only thing I ask of them is - don't say the GD thing cause I believe if there is a God then we sure don't want to p### him off No problems so far. If someone slips up then drinks are on them Its called mutual respect I think and after all religion is only one part of the human, there is some much more to enjoy! BTW I have a friend who has this voice activated program on his computer so he doesn't have to type things in. I'll see if I can't find out the name of it for ya. It might help when your hands are buggin ya

Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 05:46 PM.

AmigaRocks!!

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:46:22
# ]

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi jkirk,

Hi jkirk,

I don't know why that makes you laugh, I read it in the Bible.

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 17:49:58
#156 ]
Team Member

@klesterjr

I was raised as a Christian. I'm not a religious person anymore. I think that beliefs are good for humans, religion (ie, a systematic belief system with rules, structure and BS) is not, the only think it does well is to spread propaganda and cause wars. Now, actually, Billsey stated that he had the same opinion with me on that matter on IRC. On the other hand, I consider his whole stance *incredibly* annoying. Have you ever talked to him on IRC? He talks ironic to all us, infidels, that do not worship his God. And his proof is flakey too... We had the usual Evolution vs Creationism arguement, I backed up my case with scientific arguementation and he went in with some fundamental errors, sarcasm and a nice quote: "Rent the DVD"... Now... Video documentaries are well known to be a good source for research.... Right?

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:06:47
# ]

Quote:
AMiGR wrote:
@Atheist

Now, science does not prove or disprove the existance of god, depends on the interpretation.

Hi AMiGR,

I agree with what you're saying. Any type of experiment we make, he would not allow the results to reveal the presence of god. And you know what? I don't care.

If he wants to play baby games, then, if he doesn't show himself, he IS a fairy story.

Would I say that to his face? Of course not, but there's a billion + 1 things greater than I am, and I have no say in if there is, or isn't a slew of deities. I just hope that they appreciate that I didn't want to worship the WRONG god. That should be the WORST thing you could do. Aaahhh, so what if you worship a non-existent god? You won't get anything, will you? Why should you be sent to hell for it? There is NO WAY to know s/he/it DOESN'T exist, as all gods INSIST that they won't make themselves EVER known to us.

Quote:
On the other hand, the bible is full of fairy tales. Why? Not because they wanted to lie but because it was written almost 2000 years ago... People were narrowminded back then, stuff had to be written like that to be understood by common people. Anyone who believes that the Adam&Eve story is literal is IMO dillusional, it's fairytale that doesn't in any way dissapprove evolution. In order for god to fit in this world, if one wants to believe in one that is, He/She has to use the rules "He/She created" to do anything.

Okay, so Adam and Eve is fictional, then just at what % do we quit deleting stuff out? Until we get down to about 20 pages? I scoff at what's left.

Let me explain. It's just like you said, a good person IS a good person, and no god should come into it. I mean, is it ONLY about impressing some deity?, "hey, hey, hey, I helped people, because I knew you were there, gimme, gimme, gimme, silver and gold and platinum and diamonds, and eternal life and awesome health, I DO deserve it...!!!!"

Report this post  
AmigaRocks 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:08:01
#158 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:
backed up my case with scientific arguementation and he went in with some fundamental errors, sarcasm and a nice quote: "Rent the DVD"... Now... Video documentaries are well known to be a good source for research.... Right?

Exactly! Any one can quote from their particular religions bible or say watch the video. Doesn't prove anything does it Its still just an opinion vs another opinion and you know the saying "opinons are like a##h##es, everyone has one, still doesn't mean they are right, and certainly doesn't give them the right to judge me! Also, Billsey, like myself, is from a part of the country known as "the bible belt". I was encouraged to read the bible as a child or guess what - you got the belt on your spanking Religion was beat into a lot of kids in this part of the country and there is a huge amount of illiteracy going AFAIK Oh, Metalica qoute"Sad But True" hehe

/probably a good thing this isn't moderated

Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Last edited by Peg on 24-May-2005 at 06:09 PM.

AmigaRocks!!

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:13:37
# ]

@Peg

Quote:

BTW I have a friend who has this voice activated program on his computer so he doesn't have to type things in. I'll see if I can't find out the name of it for ya. It might help when your hands are buggin ya

Thanks! Thats sounds great. I have a feeling however that this is just nature's way of telling me I post too much

Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2005 18:17:20
#160 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

I've recently read parts of the bible just for the sake of it (not from a religious standpoint) and what I got is that you have to interpret everything optically. You have to think how a primitive man (the Apostles were supposed to be simple poor, uneducated men) would interpret some phenomenae they cannot explain to understand what their point is. IMHO, there are many parts of the bible that are well worth reading, from a philosophical point of view. You don't have to believe in God or Jesus to believe that harming people is bad and you mustn't hate anyone (by default at least). Now, on the second part... Anyone who is "good" because he fears some deity is not a good man.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle