Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  10 mins ago
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 amigang:  25 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Dragster:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 HammerD:  4 hrs ago
 ppcamiga1:  4 hrs 26 mins ago
 slygon:  4 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
Seer 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others
Posted on 25-May-2005 9:39:42
#201 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

(We're just lucky that he can't actually go insane.......or CAN he????)

Maybe He always has been insane... Who else would make humans look the way the look inside and out..

Profile     Report this post  
nicholas 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:04:27
#202 ]

@Atheist

This thread is about forcing your religion down the throats of others.

Now I know you are an atheist, but you do have beliefs, and you are forcing them down the throats of other people right now by making fun of people with Judeo-Christian/Islamic beliefs.

This is no better than Billsey telling me I am nothing because I don't believe in his God.

Think about it.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:20:04
# ]

@cecilia

Quote:

in case anyone is interested: Atheists in Foxholes

WIsh there was a website back in 1991. I was going to name somebody who died that I served with who like me had no religious leanings, but that would be unfair to his family who might have.

He was an American (I was in a joint unit) and is listed as dieing by "accident" as he was blown apart by a hand grenade (during combat) that exploded due to a faulty fuse. He was given a religous service even though he expressed to me that he didn't want one. I didn't object because I was going through my own little trauma.

At no time did I become religious. If anything, my experience pushed me further away. Seeing lots of dead kids does that to you. You think "what kind of god would allow this?".

Anyway, thanks for that link cecilia. It gives me somewhere to go now that doesn't involve any bloody a**hole going on about how death is alright because they have gone to a better place.. No, they are just dead.

The sooner people stop suger coating death, the sooner we will stop being so keen to send our children off to die in war..

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:23:03
# ]

@jkirk

Quote:
oh god help me i just checked my point total it read 666.

Recent didcoveries have identified a translation error in origional decodings. The actual number is "616".

So any "rock solid" theories about 666 being evil are just the results of an over active imagination. Not that the truth has ever stopped irrational people from coming up with howlers

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:30:14
#205 ]
Elite Member

@DJRJ

Quote:
Excuse me but wasn't the notion of God as a trinity a construct of the New Testament? Genesis is strictly Old Testament.

nope it sure is not a construct of the new testiment

Quote:
What about an "accomplice" without free will and without choice? The notion of an all-knowing and all-powerful God giving us free will, and thereby creating the circumstance for actions that he can't foresee, puts a great big hole in the notion of "all-knowing" and without that quality He's suddenly out of the God business...

why are you intent on blaming god when it is our fault we are in this mess. he gave us the ability to choose. this is free will he didn't force adam to take a bite of the apple nor did he set us up to fail. the devil got involved in the form of a snake and started the ball rolling but adam could have nipped it in the bud but he didn't.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:31:27
# ]

Quote:
nicholas wrote:
@Atheist

This thread is about forcing your religion down the throats of others.

Now I know you are an atheist, but you do have beliefs, and you are forcing them down the throats of other people right now by making fun of people with Judeo-Christian/Islamic beliefs.

This is no better than Billsey telling me I am nothing because I don't believe in his God.

Think about it.

Hi nicholas,

Making fun of his religion? Pushing my religion down his throat?

If I wanted to make fun of his religion I'd say "Every game of (Advanced) Dungeons and Dragons ever played that had religion in it WAS A REAL religion, and thank goodness there were worshipers of those gods."

As for pushing my religion down his throat, the Christian religion is all around me, at every turn, and it makes me sick.

Science, in my eyes has done WAY WAY WAY WAY more than any religion ever has to cure social ills.

I promote that science should be the highest budgeted concern of governments.

If religion wants my ear it better make sense, and it doesn't, so I discard it instantly.

That's what all religion doesn't want, scrutiny.

That's what you get when you indoctrinate people so young right from when they can talk, about the merits of "godhead" and such .... . You get people that will fall on a sword, literally.

(Boy, where's all the venom coming from???)

I despise deceit.

Moderated by Wiffy, reason: borderline comment being edited out to allow the thread to be returned to free-for-all.

Last edited by Wiffy on 30-May-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:36:52
#207 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:
He never talks to us. He doesn't want to give us anything.

did you ask? he has given all that i need and more.
furthurmore he can't stand sin so he will not directly interact with us. this is the reason that he has angels. this is also the reason jesus died and was resurected is to open the door for direct communication with god through jesus.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

TrebleSix 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:38:02
#208 ]
Elite Member

Y is god always refered to as 'he' btw ?

jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:42:10
#209 ]
Elite Member

Moderated by Wiffy, reason: reply to borderline comment being edited out to allow the thread to be returned to free-for-all.

Last edited by Wiffy on 30-May-2005 at 01:22 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 11:42:59
# ]

@DruidPoet

Incase anyone thinks I've gone mental again..

Article about 616

Edit:
Here's another...

OK I was guessing when I gave the reasons. Not a translation error, a missing page error.

Hmm, didn't Red Dwarf have a joke about missing pages?

Last edited by DruidPoet on 25-May-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Last edited by DruidPoet on 25-May-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:05:25
# ]

Moderated by Wiffy, reason: quoted borderline comment being edited out to allow the thread to be returned to free-for-all.

Hi jkirk,

Start my own religion? Surely you jest.

I don't have one/any, besides, like I said, "I despise deceit."

My proof is you'll accept anything, if taught at an early enough age, with enough parental force behind it.

Last edited by Wiffy on 30-May-2005 at 01:22 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:21:44
# ]

Hi jkirk,

If you're so 100 billion % sure that your religion is real, and the "right" one, how come when you meet someone with a different religion you can't convince them to drop it within an hour?? (Like me, for instance, who people are claiming that I have one.)

I'll tell you why, it's because they're just as "programmed" that their's is "The One".

You can't convince me any god is real. But, it's really only the one you have that's real. Would you feel better if I became Muslim? How can that be a real god, if you've already found the real god?

Every religion, no matter how "tolerant" they say they are, are offened to their physical core at the thought that someone obeys some other being. It says that their's is inferior, or even worse not real. Their god isn't good enough to be your god, right?

Report this post  
DJRJ 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:22:29
#213 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
jkirk wrote:
@DJRJ

Quote:
What about an "accomplice" without free will and without choice? The notion of an all-knowing and all-powerful God giving us free will, and thereby creating the circumstance for actions that he can't foresee, puts a great big hole in the notion of "all-knowing" and without that quality He's suddenly out of the God business...

why are you intent on blaming god when it is our fault we are in this mess. he gave us the ability to choose. this is free will he didn't force adam to take a bite of the apple nor did he set us up to fail. the devil got involved in the form of a snake and started the ball rolling but adam could have nipped it in the bud but he didn't.

The word that we're looking for here is 'predestination', and this is a situation that occurs when omni-science collides with the notion of free will. Omniscience completely nullifies anything remotely resembling free will. Your God, by the properties popularly ascribed to Him, is running a stacked deck in a game that you can't win.

Doug

Maybe add more for malfunctions and then we'll have music all day.

DJRJ 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:24:25
#214 ]
Cult Member

Quote:
treblesix wrote:
Y is god always refered to as 'he' btw ?

HE? It's an acronym for 'Hideously Evil'. I thought everyone knew that...

Doug

Maybe add more for malfunctions and then we'll have music all day.

jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:31:56
#215 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:
My proof is you'll accept anything, if taught at an early enough age, with enough parental force behind it.

try using that in court and you will be laughed out of the courtroom.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:36:06
# ]

@jkirk

Although there have been high profile cases of unjustice done over false accusations of paedophilia for example because children as so susceptible to telling people what they want to hear or taking on suggestions as true memories.

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:38:53
#217 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:
If you're so 100 billion % sure that your religion is real, and the "right" one, how come when you meet someone with a different religion you can't convince them to drop it within an hour?? (Like me, for instance, who people are claiming that I have one.)

because you don't want to believe and i won't make you.
because i am not trying to just correcting your misstatements.

Quote:
Every religion, no matter how "tolerant" they say they are, are offened to their physical core at the thought that someone obeys some other being. It says that their's is inferior, or even worse not real. Their god isn't good enough to be your god, right?

the way i look at it we all serve the same god. whether aspects are broken up or if it is a unified god does not matter to me. we just worship him in different ways.

Kay 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:39:05
#218 ]

Well, since everybody else are pushing their religious views on this thread, I've decided to share mine as well:

I think everybody has a right to a belief when it comes to the excistence of God. But I do have more respect for those who realize that what they have is just that, a belief. Unfortunately, both among christians and atheists (so they call themselves), there are a lot of people who seem to confuse their belief for knowledge. Whether it's the atheist who treats religious people as intellectually inferior for believing something science hasn't proved, or the extreme christian who will slam other religions while failing to see the obvious problems of his own, I think both groups are assuming more than they should.

Some years ago, I spent some time trying to figure out what to believe. I read arguments both for the excistence and non-excistence of God, some which looked compelling at first. But as soon as I started to investigate closer, I found counter-arguments. Then counter-counter-arguments. This continued until there was little left, and certainly nothing to constitute any adequate form of empirical or philosophical proof. In the end, I arrived at the conclusion that if there is a way to discern the truth of this, it is probably beyond me. So I decided to leave it be. There may be a God, or there may not. Surprisingly, it doesn't really bother me that I don't know which is more likely.

I realize that this is not miles away from what somebody here called "weak atheism", but I do not consider myself to be an atheist, for a few reasons:
*Most atheists I encounter seem to think that the "burden of evidence" belongs to the theists. Given the impact and sheer volume of people who believe in one or more gods, I think this is arrogant.
*A lot of atheists seem to take a very strong stance *against* religion, while having an attitude towards science which most resembles worship. I think science is a tool to model and explain observable phenomena by means of other observable phenomena. I don't see how it can ever answer the "big" questions, and yet I think those questions are worth asking. So there is room for something besides science. The idea that "the more you learn about science, the less room there is for religion" doesn't work for me at all. I think science disproves certain literal interpretations of the Bible, but taking the Bible literally is not a requirement to be a christian (actually, I'd go as far as to call that downright naive).

So, there you have it, the correct opinion.

Kay

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:41:02
# ]

@Kay

An opinion that more or less mirrors my own.

Except if someone does try to evangelise the existense of god to me, then they will need to prove it, not just have me accept their word.

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:42:58
#220 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@jkirk

Although there have been high profile cases of unjustice done over false accusations of paedophilia for example because children as so susceptible to telling people what they want to hear or taking on suggestions as true memories.

did they not have any other evidence or did they just assume guilt because this is possible.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle