Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 Karlos:  15 mins ago
 Kronos:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  21 mins ago
 pavlor:  25 mins ago
 retrofaza:  29 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lou 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 24-Feb-2009 18:05:54
#41 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Enhanced game controls using the Wii-mote. I don't think so. IMO it's mostly a good fit for party games and not so much for most more traditional games.

I changed the default control scheme to match those of Resistance 2 though.

Is that opinion based on actually playing a proper Wii FPS?
If not then atleast we know how much water your opionion on this holds.

I have played Red Steel, Metriod Prime 3, Medal of Honor:Heroes 2 and the homebrew version of Quake 1 on the Wii. I've played all the older traditional FPS games on the PC: Quake 1-3, Doom, Unreal 1 & 2, Deus Ex. Mouse and keyboard controls have not changed. I can tell you that I am at home with the Wii controls for FPS games. I prefer them to m&k. This isn't me being a fanboy. This is me being a gamer. It's my opinion that no FPS will ever surpass Deus Ex in design.

Quake 1 on the Wii with Wii controls is quite fun. I suggest everyone install the Homebrew Channel and the "Homebrew Browser" application and download Quake 1. It costs you ZERO dollars to do this...other than perhaps buying Legend of Zelda for the Wii to enable installation of the Homebrew Channel.

Last edited by Lou on 24-Feb-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 24-Feb-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
ErikBauer 
Posted on 24-Feb-2009 19:20:38
#42 ]

@Lou

I'm totally with you.

FPS games get a new dimension when played on Wii. Sure, it takes a bit to get used to the Wii controls but once you are... there is no match.
I'm saying this comparing my enjoyment and gaming experience I recently had playing up to completion F.E.A.R. on my PC and playing Quake1 on my Wii.
F.E.A.R. technical side lefts quake ages behind as would do with any other Wii game, but merely looses against Quake Wii on the pure enjoyment-playability side.
Let's face it, we need more than just tons of almost raytraced poligons, we need to enjoy our games and we also need to evolve the way we play them, not just the way they present to us!

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

wegster 
Posted on 24-Feb-2009 22:27:44
#43 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Enhanced game controls using the Wii-mote. I don't think so. IMO it's mostly a good fit for party games and not so much for most more traditional games.

I changed the default control scheme to match those of Resistance 2 though.

Yet apparently, opinions that matter.. DO think so, people purchasing games (in some cases, at least).

MikeB 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 1:34:34
#44 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
Yet apparently, opinions that matter.. DO think so, people purchasing games (in some cases, at least).

Sure, but the alledged "enhanced play control" with the Wii-mote isn't a fact, at least not for many people regarding all games out there. There are plenty of people out there who prefer a playstation controller or mouse and keyboard over the Wii-mote for playing FPS games.

On the Wii especially Nintendo exclusives and party games sell well, 3rd party games so far perform significantly worse. It seems that most people who own a PS3 or 360 prefer to get versions for those instead, for technical improvements and likely also for control method. If the Wii is your only console or maybe they own an older console like a PS2 or XBox a Wii version is more often preferable.

And yes, I have played some Wii FPS games... IMO Wii fans overhype the Wii-mote, claiming its best for any game for anybody. I think that's an overly extreme view.

MikeB 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 1:37:58
#45 ]
Elite Member

According to Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which claims to have read an internal Microsoft memo. About 56% of 360 owners are currently able to play online games (Gold membership), so about 15.5 million 360 owners worldwide. This probably includes free months due to RRoD, free trial months given away with games, etc.

Last edited by MikeB on 25-Feb-2009 at 01:50 AM.

wegster 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 1:39:30
#46 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I don't agree on 'best way to play for anybody' necessarily either, although Wii next gen will be of possible *significant* interest to me. However, consumers and $ speak. Number of units, and even number of units sold for some cross - platform titles = Wii wins.

So, apparently *someone* out there likes it..

wegster 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 1:43:39
#47 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

PS - shouldn't you be playing KZ2 or something? (I THINK mine shows Friday..)

MikeB 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 1:52:34
#48 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Already earned 3 ribbons in Killzone 2, I think that's enough for today!

ErikBauer 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 9:19:47
#49 ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@wegster

Quote:

Sure, but the alledged "enhanced play control" with the Wii-mote isn't a fact, at least not for many people regarding all games out there. There are plenty of people out there who prefer a playstation controller or mouse and keyboard over the Wii-mote for playing FPS games.

This is of course a pure matter of tastes and there is nothing wrong with it.
But I think that at least some of them did not have the wish or the time to get accustomed to the Wii controls (As I said it can take some time) in order to properly appreciate them.

Quote:

On the Wii especially Nintendo exclusives and party games sell well, 3rd party games so far perform significantly worse. It seems that most people who own a PS3 or 360 prefer to get versions for those instead, for technical improvements and likely also for control method. If the Wii is your only console or maybe they own an older console like a PS2 or XBox a Wii version is more often preferable.

The real and crude facts are that most of 3rd party games on Wii are pure crap. I'm a big fan of the Wii myself but I do know there are few games worth buying that are not made by the big N.
Despite this things are going to change and, to face your argument Wii is my only console but I do have a pretty powerful PC and guess what?
I'm not buying Overlord for PC because I know I will prefer playing it on Wii despite the worse Gfx.
But again it's a matter of tastes.

Quote:

And yes, I have played some Wii FPS games... IMO Wii fans overhype the Wii-mote, claiming its best for any game for anybody. I think that's an overly extreme view.

I'm not telling it's the best for anybody, I just state it is a very wellcome evolution that allows me and other players experience games in a new, fresh and in most cases better way. (PS: How long did you give yourself for get accustomed to the controls?)

Ah, and despite being a Wii fan I'm very far from telling the technology between Remote and Nunchuck is perfect because it has it's very faults, but in this case I prefer seeing the glass as half full and enjoy the innovation.

Edit:Replaced Accustomized with Get Accustomed, more correct.

Last edited by ErikBauer on 25-Feb-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Last edited by ErikBauer on 25-Feb-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Lou 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 12:46:53
#50 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@wegster

Quote:

Clearly more people preferred the Wii controls to the PS3 version of Call of Duty:World at War

Quote:

Guitar Hero 3 Wii version outsells the other platforms. As mentioned before CoD:WaW outsold the PS3 version. The scales are starting to tip. Have you even been paying attention to top 20 charts lately. Wii software, yes - even 3rd party, is starting to dominate the charts. Sure, a high profile 360/PS3 title blips the charts for a week or 2, but Wii games just sell through consistently.

Quote:

Oh. Which? Tell me about them and your experiences with them.

Lou 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 12:53:10
#51 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

About your "favorite" control scheme. It's clearly bad for your health and I now have medical evidence to prove it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/25/study-finds-unique-gaming-disease-playstation-palmar-hidradenit/

ErikBauer 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 13:11:00
#52 ]

@Lou

OMG! People is becoming crazier each day that passes... One of these days I'll discover that Swimming is dangerous to your health because you get wet while doing it, and you know... getting wet is the first step in getting a cold!

MikeB 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 14:53:27
#53 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Agreed, there have been hundreds millions of people who played with Playstation controllers, it's just FUD as usual.

BTW, drinking too much water will poison you and possibly kill you (has actually happened to quite a few people)! And that's a fact.

Too much is always too much. Some can take more than others.

Just for fun:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88305-Doctors-Fear-Epidemic-of-Wii-Injuries

ErikBauer 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 15:00:45
#54 ]

@MikeB

Holy words! Too much is too much in everything.

Lou 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 16:21:50
#55 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

You still didn't respond to my prior post...

MikeB 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 16:24:17
#56 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

"On January 12, 2007, Jennifer Strange, a 28-year-old woman and a mother of 3, from Rancho Cordova, California, was found dead in her home by her mother hours after trying to win one of Nintendo's Wii game consoles in KDND 107.9 "The End" radio station's "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest, which involved drinking large quantities of water without urinating. "

MikeB 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 17:23:13
#57 ]
Elite Member

@ Lou

News from my home town (posted today):

Physical Therapists in Groningen have been treating dozens of little kids for playing too much with their Nintendo Wii:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/3339906/__Vaker_kinderen_met_Wii-arm__.html?p=8,3

Last edited by MikeB on 25-Feb-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 18:54:22
#58 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@ Lou

News from my home town (posted today):

Physical Therapists in Groningen have been treating dozens of little kids for playing too much with their Nintendo Wii:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/3339906/__Vaker_kinderen_met_Wii-arm__.html?p=8,3

uh you still haven't replied to:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=28162&forum=4&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0#479357

MikeB 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 19:04:27
#59 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I think it was COD3 and Red Steel.

It was interesting for a while, but not comfortable for a longer period of time for me and not very accurate. Given a choice I certainly prefer the dual sticks.

Lou 
Posted on 25-Feb-2009 20:30:33
#60 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

I think it was COD3 and Red Steel.

It was interesting for a while, but not comfortable for a longer period of time for me and not very accurate. Given a choice I certainly prefer the dual sticks.

So you only played the 2 that launched(or shortly there after with CoD3) with the system before they got it right...

As for your comfort level, I have explained in previous posts about resting your elbow on your lap and just moving your wrist. Accuracy goes through the roof when you do this as your wrist is infinitely more accurate than your shoulder for pointing at the screen. Having a steady base to move your wrist from is the key.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle