Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  4 mins ago
 Hammer:  18 mins ago
 DWolfman:  19 mins ago
 RobertB:  59 mins ago
 utukku:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Register To Post

PosterThread
BigD 
Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 25-Aug-2018 22:50:56
#1 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
RPi is best option for something like Aros with limited developer resources. So I am very excited about it

I agree the RPi is well suited to attract new people to the platform. The problem is that we were beaten to market by RiscOS and what is being proposed is AROS not AmigaOS. Double loss IMHO.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOlafS2525-Aug-2018 22:58:26
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills25-Aug-2018 22:59:14
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pibobson25-Aug-2018 23:05:28
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOlafS2525-Aug-2018 23:11:14
                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiBigD25-Aug-2018 23:18:50
                      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOlafS2525-Aug-2018 23:24:08
                          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiBigD25-Aug-2018 23:48:24
                              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey26-Aug-2018 1:41:58
                                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinumber626-Aug-2018 15:19:01
                                      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey26-Aug-2018 21:49:28
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pikolla26-Aug-2018 10:36:24
                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis26-Aug-2018 15:11:54
                      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pikolla26-Aug-2018 15:16:13

PosterThread
BigD 
Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 26-Aug-2018 16:33:44
#1 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Why not use PC if you have it

Not many 'mainstream' users would experiment with an additional OS even if they have a PC. I honestly can't be bothered to try MorphOS despite having an iBook G4 (partly because it has macOS Tiger which plays nice with an old scanner I need)! I would rather buy an A.L.I.C.E. laptop from a UK reseller like AmigaKit (they don't seem interested in stocking them however despite the AmiWest 2017 rumours that they would ), a Vampire Standalone or a A1222 than mess around with a current working PC/Mac system.

For the record I have configured Boot Camp on macOS and have a triple booting MacBook Pro (Apple only supports two OSes with Boot Camp so I'm already beyond a situation where they would offer me ANY support). It was an absolute git to set up as I encountered a corrupted GPT table with the hybrid MBR (Master Boot Record) which is required for use with Windows 7. I now know that it is flaky and dangerous compared to Windows 8 on Boot Camp which has the ability to boot in native EFI/UEFI mode on Macs which is supposed to improve stability substantially! Good to know! Even so, I hope to never to have to do this again and would really have to think hard before buying another Mac to be honest. They are fine if you just want basic stuff to work out of the box in a weird little walled garden but as a computer Apple have buried the Mac destroying its killer apps (iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Final Cut Pro) and under-investing in OpenGL for a decade. Anyway, I will rely on backups if anything else goes wrong!

Virtualisation is fine but loses performance. Saying that both Windows XP and macOS Snow Leopard Server work acceptably using Fusion.

Life is too short for all this PC faff! I couldn't even get a PS3 DualShock 3 pad to work on Windows 7 via Bluetooth without copious research on forums and whole day trying to work it all out. I even had to buy an additional Bluetooth dongle to get it to work with the software! In summary; PCs are not fun and the less time messing with them in this life the better.

The A.L.I.C.E. team are doing us a great service by selling pre-configured machines that hide Linux behind the AmigaOS / AmiKit systems. A.L.I.C.E. type machines are the way forward IMHO although AROS on RPi would give people a cheap option if they are the sort of people that want to experiment. Just realise that the RPi represents another niche of computer hobby people and not the mainstream. AROS on the RPi is therefore a stepping stone but an interesting development. However, I personally wish it was AmigaOS on RPi and I'm guessing an AmigaOS release would mean more to people outside of the Amiga community too and do more to build users in the long term.

Last edited by BigD on 26-Aug-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Aug-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Aug-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Aug-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle