Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  25 mins ago
 matthey:  37 mins ago
 BigD:  46 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Register To Post

PosterThread
nikosidis 
Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 26-Aug-2018 21:03:23
#1 ]
Cult Member

If we can not use the 4 cores but only one of the ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz
How fast or slow will that be?
This seams like a possible let down to me.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
bison 
Posted on 26-Aug-2018 22:15:50
#1 ]
Elite Member

@matthey
Quote:
I don't agree that "it's not safe to use a system without memory protection on the internet". Anything coming through the internet is under complete control of the internet software. Anything unsafe which is allowed is the fault of the internet software not memory protection.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the internet software" -- can you clarify this point?

@nikosidis
Quote:
If we can not use the 4 cores but only one of the ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz
How fast or slow will that be?

Faster than any Commodore-era Amiga, I would think. Would be kind of a waste of resources only using one core, but at least it's a very inexpensive waste of resources, since the board is about $45 US.

Last edited by bison on 26-Aug-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis26-Aug-2018 23:41:20
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pibison27-Aug-2018 14:36:57
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey28-Aug-2018 1:29:37
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis27-Aug-2018 0:02:24
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pitonyw27-Aug-2018 0:54:12
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 1:24:44
                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis27-Aug-2018 1:34:37
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey27-Aug-2018 1:39:57
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiAdvancedFollower27-Aug-2018 9:19:37
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piwawa27-Aug-2018 9:44:58
                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 11:51:56
                      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piwawa27-Aug-2018 12:30:13
                          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 12:35:47
                              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOlafS2527-Aug-2018 12:40:08
                                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 12:59:32
                                      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOlafS2527-Aug-2018 13:01:52
                                          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis27-Aug-2018 14:04:36
                              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimegol27-Aug-2018 19:01:24
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey27-Aug-2018 23:45:43
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOldAmigan27-Aug-2018 9:50:29
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis27-Aug-2018 12:08:09

PosterThread
gregthecanuck 
Posted on 28-Aug-2018 4:55:42
#1 ]
Cult Member

@matthey
Quote:

I did say major AmigaOS changes would be needed without custom hardware. I'm tired of wasting my time developing software for a handful of Amiga users. I haven't seen a game/business plan that would allow the AmigaOS/AROS to have a large enough user base to attract users and developers to an OS (including porting to the RaspberryPi at this late stage). Without compatibility or users there is not enough developers and software to be competitive even if the features were competitive. IMO, an OS development business only is a dead business model. I don't think the AmigaOS without hardware is viable.

This is the kicker. Hardware sold is going to drive the demand from the users. I don't think AmigaOS is attractive enough at this point to drive demand for ports to platforms like the RPi or PCs. There is already UAE.

Remember why the Amiga was purchased? Bang for the buck, bare-metal performance, etc... Now a lot of demand is coming from nostalgia. The A1222
and Vampire are getting back to that. As far as I can tell quite a few Vampires are being sold (all that can be made) and I expect that once OS4 issues with A1222 are sorted out quite a few of those systems will be sold as well.

We have the "current generation" Amiga OS running on 68K and PPC. I do not believe OS4/PPC is "next generation". To me "next generation" means a breaking update to AmigaOS (memory protection, SMP, ...).

On the Vampire side the Apollo core is more powerful per clock than PPC and likely ARM at some point. The core team is continually upgrading the core architecture. PPC is pretty much done once the current generations have been accounted for in possible future OS4 ports.

On the OS side I agree on the money-making potential of simply working on Amiga OS. The user base just isn't there to support it (hence Hyperion's money troubles?) in any major way. That is my reason for suggesting to just open source the thing. Hyperion (of whoever will own it after all the legal foo) has to find some way to make money obviously but perhaps they need to go back to their roots and start porting software/games? License the OS for commercial sales (Apollo, A-EON, Amigakit, ?Cloanto?).

I am tired of seeing forked OS. We have OS3.x, OS4,x, AROS, MorphOS, ... I would hope open-sourcing OS 3.x would bring some developers back into the fold. Grab the "good stuff" from AROS. Fork it so somebody can play with an RPi port, or start on a next-generation experiment. Now real bounties can be implemented. Other open-source code could be pulled in (such as Linux device drivers) without fear.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey29-Aug-2018 17:15:49

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle