Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 85 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  16 mins ago
 matthey:  28 mins ago
 BigD:  38 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr ago
 kolla:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Register To Post

PosterThread
bison 
Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 5-Sep-2018 21:03:09
#1 ]
Elite Member

@michalsc

Quote:
The problem is however extremely scarce support for ILP32.

So what are the alternatives -- LP32, LLP64, LP64, or... something else?

Quote:
2. In parallel I'm working on my small project, where I try to build set of libraries with AmigaOS-like API, allowing one to write software for Linux which looks and behaves like Amiga software. The project is independent on AROS and compiles to every target where linux kernel can run (I'm testing it on x86_64 and on RaspberryPi). This is ARIX.

I shall be following this with great interest!

Last edited by bison on 05-Sep-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
matthey 
Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 5-Sep-2018 21:28:52
#1 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

michalsc wrote:
They are arm32 executables. I was thinking about aarch64, especially about using the ilp32 mode on aarch64, where int, long and pointer are all 32 bit. This could give us some advantages of 64-bit ARM, like 32 general purpose registers and ability to do 64bit math in single register, whilst keeping the whole 32 bit compatible. The problem is however extremely scarce support for ILP32. There are some people at linaro working on this but there is no code in main repositories of binutils or gcc yet. So no, I wouldn't like to try that. Aarch64 port of AROS yes, some day, but not with 32bit simulated in 64bit mode.

If whole toolchain would be completed (in main repositories and stable) I would consider it though ;)

ILP32 looks pretty good for the Raspberry Pi. Yes, it avoids the performance loss of 64 bit pointers while gaining the performance enhancements of AArch64 (much like x32 for x86_64 hardware). LP64 is not very good for AmigaOS 32 bit compatibility. It would be most interesting if ILP32 and LLP64 code could execute together in AArch64 mode (pointers could be 32 bit or 64 bit) with a few tricks but LP64 seems to be the common data model for AArch64.

Quote:

The memory doesn't matter that much. For a long time I was thinking about misusing 64bit address space for other purposes, even if amount of physical memory is not that large.

Just think about single address space where each task gets it's own 2GB slot (or multiple of 2GB slots) of virtual memory, with stack going downwards and expanding if necessary...

I don't think you need a 64 bit address space for this unless you have more than than 2 GiB of memory. I have thought about the same thing but you would probably need to leave some shared/public memory mapped to all tasks for compatibility.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimichalsc5-Sep-2018 21:40:24

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle