Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 61 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 K-L:  21 mins ago
 amigakit:  25 mins ago
 striggs:  37 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  39 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  56 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:21:18
# ]

@Uncharted

Quote:
"Working on it" just doesn't cut it anymore. Keeping silent doesn't cut it anymore. Making the dealer's do all the dirty-work for them doesn't cut it anymore. It's skate or die time, fix the situation now (with action not empty promises), or admit it, "we ####ed up, we picked a dead-end partner, we just weren't up to the job" and at least give the Amiga the chance to find a hardware company that can. Hell, even at this point sucking up the pride and cutting a deal with bPlan would be better than continuing down this road. Maybe the grass is greener and all that, but for everything that's gone on, the Blues certainly seem to be doing well on the hardware front with the peg2.

This couldn't been said better! I love the way you said it! This is SO true!

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:21:50
#82 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

For crying out loud, I never said that having CPU modules to choose from is a problem, that was never my point. My point was the way that you presented the topic, and your impoliteness vis-a-vis Rose Humphrey.

Profile     Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:27:07
#83 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
Why have forums at all if people are not allowed to discuss things? Why is this issue taboo? Apparently he also posted a mail to Eyetech, so ...

Are you intentionally trying to ignore the point I am making? I don't see any purpose in "discussing" a complaint if there is nothing to discuss. The whole issue wouldn't have arisen without Helgis frying his CPU.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:28:28
# ]

@Rogue

Ok, i think we both agree that i could have been a bit more nicer, but as you also can see, my topic has increased quickly in popularity already, and we all know why

Uncharted said something very amazing but very true. You should read it

Hearing from Eyetech that "they're working on the situation" doesn't cut it anymore and is simply not good enough either. If they keep delaying for any uncertain reasons, like saying that they don't have money but ironically eating up a lot of money from us owners, then the AmigaOne won't have a future and could be doomed. We don't want that to happen, and for Eyetech being so incredible quiet as if they should have been dead and gone is simply not valuable either...It becomes too silly for them to do so. Uncharted stated this very clearly in one of his last posts!

I couldn't agree more with him...

Last edited by Helgis on 27-Feb-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:32:49
#85 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Uncharted

Quote:
poor sales channels,

I don't know what the problem should be, because hardware is being delivered and is up for sale. You might complain about a lot of things, but I don't know where all these "delivery isues" and "lack of hardware" is coming from.

Quote:
Sorry if any of that upsets any of you,

What in fact upsets me (not only in your but also in a lot of other posts) is the number of '####' I keep seeing. It's not like it is impossible to argue without using hard language and swear words.

Honestly, go count them.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:34:08
# ]

@Helgis

Please look up "sinister" in a dictionary ;)

/Björn

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:38:36
#87 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
Eyetech's departure would increase the pressure for an OS4 port to existing harware (be it Peg2, MacMini or whatever) considerably.

I am pretty much sick of this whole story with OS 4 on "existing hardware". When are people finally going to understand that this is NOT about pressuting Hyperion? How often do I have to say that?

alx 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:39:18
#88 ]

Quote:
Eyetech being so incredible quiet

This is a question that I've wanted to ask before, actually. Seeing as I'm not an A1 owner, I don't get access to the private forum and so cannot tell how communicative Eyetech are. Do they ever post there (I don't need to know what they post, just whether they are actually more responsive there). From outside the forum they seem awfully quiet, and I'd like to know whether this is really the case.

Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:39:41
#89 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@glokraw

Quote:
TWO MORE WEEKS!!!!

Interestingly enough I have heard this figure quoted before by another party, but that is a different story.

Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:40:53
#90 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Helgis

Quote:
Uncharted said something very amazing but very true. You should read it

Yeah, it had an amazing number of hash characters in it.

wegster 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:40:58
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Orgin
Even though EyeTech isn't my own 'favorite company,' Origin's right on.
Helgis, you often come across as demanding things, often without 'justification' or reason, just 'I want, therefore it should be' type of messages.

@Rose/thread-
This IS a real need, not even nescessarily about the 'upgrade' point, but should be _required_ for any manufacturer/distributor to supply replacement parts or repairs as required by warrantee. As my impression is EyeTech dishonors ALL of their warrantees as far as I can tell, this is a big problem, pure and simple. I understand Helgis' technically voided his warantee even if it hadn't expired....but there is still the need to be prepared to offer replacement parts and warrantee service.

As Eyetech has been unprepared/unwilling to do that, and furthermore has basically stopped responding to emails or given any new public news in quite some time....the situation is exascerbated and made perhaps 'more serious' than it really is. Such is the nature of small communities with Internet forums, period- in a small and perhaps unique market, communication is _very_ important.

So, I've got to say, Alan has really brought this attitude on himself at this point. I hope to see the XC and upgrade CPU modules for XE and uA1 boards, but he's shooting himself in the foot without 'real information' being given to the public at any point. I certainly don't think the situation is unsalvageable, but it does require some action, even if only a website update or perhaps a monthly post on AW. Yes, a monthly post would open up more questions, but at least there would be some 'official' statements from EyeTech/Alan....which would go a long ways to controlling the negativity, even if he simply posted an update and then didn't respond until the next one, and even if dates weren't provided (because yes, realistically, virtually any business has to wait on suppliers, or perhaps design work, and that certainly isn't always 'on time' unless everything is done in house with a ton of $)

Anonymous 
Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:43:58
# ]

Let's hope that we will hear from Eyetech during the coming week...

But if Eyetech is not up to the possibility to either launch AmigaOnes and its' CPU-modules, then someone else should do that that we know always make hardwares available, and who doesn't waste a lot of time leting people wait for ages for something they can get at any time...

If Eyetech wants to prove their worthy of being the company owing the rights for the AmigaOne, then they seriously have to speed up in order to catch up, and keeping both the AmigaOne and it's spirit alive. AmigaOne is one hell of an excellent Amiga-platform! It can run Linux, Mac On Linux and AmigaOS 4 at the same time, and the AmigaOne really has a potential future. It can be improved, expanded, modified and anything like that! Without Eyetech able do do something about the situation seriously, all that will be lost, and then it's back to the poor, boring, bad PC-world, and do we want that to happen?! NO, NOT AT ALL!!!

Eyetech. You know what you have to do. Do it, and do it now. Time to get out to the public and let them know what is going on. No need to keep the mouth shut. Let us know what is really going on and say what you can do or not. Don't serve lies to the public. Be honest and confess what is really the case. It's not worse than that..

Last edited by Helgis on 27-Feb-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:46:35
# ]

@Rogue

Quote:
I am pretty much sick of this whole story with OS 4 on "existing hardware". When are people finally going to understand that this is NOT about pressuting Hyperion? How often do I have to say that?

I can't see him stating that Hyperion should be pressured so I guess you're referring to that generally speaking?

/Björn

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:50:33
# ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Are you intentionally trying to ignore the point I am making? I don't see any purpose in "discussing" a complaint if there is nothing to discuss.

Well *my* point is that it could have been a complaint (which I think it wasn't), a suggestion, or whatever, but the initial reason behind Helgis first post is totally irrelevant, really, and so is his "tone".

The core point: Someone needs/wants a new CPU card. Can he get one? Where? How?

Quote:
The whole issue wouldn't have arisen without Helgis frying his CPU.

... or someone else, of course! And also, eventually things *do* brake, "provoked" or not ...

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:52:18
#95 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Orgin

Quote:
I can't see him stating that Hyperion should be pressured so I guess you're referring to that generally speaking?

Generally, yes. However, who else would you pressure? It's not like pressuring Apple would have any effect, so yes, I was assuming that he means Hyperion.

The problem is that this thing really haunts me. Everytime I see a "MacMini" in a topic header I know what is coming up next. Just look at the "recent thread" listing.

wegster 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:52:45
#96 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
Anyway, you did see that most people reason with me about having different CPU-modules. Actually, Toaks was giving a good advice about buying a MicroA1 now while waiting, so maybe i will do that. I dunno, or just saving money and buy a brand new A1G4XE with Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA PCI-controller, harddrives that support this feature, and NOT messing with overclocking at all, whatever anybody says!

Umm, since when did anyone state that XEs would be produced again, let alone with a SATA controller? It's certainly possible Hyperion has driver support coming for S-ATA, but last I checked, the XE has no official future run at this point?

Your realistic options-
1. Borrow a CPU card from someone willing to put it into your machine. Confirm it's only your CPU that's bad.
2. Take a chance and try to purchase only the CPU - I know the CPU cards use the MegArray connector, but believe the CPU's are still socketed, so you may be able to replace only the CPU on the CPU card. Obviously, I may be wrong on this...
3. Take a careful look at the MegArray card, and look for blown components, or have it looked at by a micro-mini/electronics repair shop...maybe you'll get lucky.
4. Wait and see if any upgrade CPU cards are offered. I tend to also think this _will_ happen, but can't say when.
5. Have someone experienced look at your XE and see if it's totally and truly dead.
6. Buy the uA1-C now and then fix the XE later
7. Wait an undetermine length of time for the XC, IF it's even going to arrive. I hope it is, but as always, without anything 'official,' it may be sheer speculation and wishful thinking.

Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:55:09
#97 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@takemehomegrandma

We can go over this as many times as you like, it will not, however, change the fact that complaining about that in a public forum is going to change it. You just have to count the number of pages in this thread and see that you have approximately doubled your own post count in the last few hours to see what kind of "discussion" this results in.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:55:24
# ]

@Rogue

Well there could be a community pressure for someone stepping forward to cough up whatever is needed for a port. That's how I read it, not "Hyperion must be theatened to death until they do it!".

/Björn

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:58:55
# ]

@wegster

Well, i am not able to borrow a CPU-module, so i either most likely have to wait for uncertain times for CPU-modules to arrive, or saving money for a new A1XE. What i mean new, is not neccessarily a newly produced, but another one - A1G4XE.

I'm not sure, but i hope Eyetech will do something really soon now. I hate the kind of silence from such Amiga-companies. It's too...childish...!

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 20:03:03
#100 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Orgin

May be, (in that case, Sorry for barking, DrBombcrater). Usually, though, the general consensus seems to be that it is either Hyperion that is blocking any attempts to port OS 4, a secrect exculsivity deal with Eyetech, or a similar sinister plot that is held responsible.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle