Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 134 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  16 mins ago
 OlafS25:  33 mins ago
 matthey:  44 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  55 mins ago
 RobertB:  58 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:04:07
# ]

Quote:
AMiGR wrote:
@Atheist

Actually, according to various sources, the TOTAL number of Amigas Commodore ever made were 5,292,200.

Hi AMiGR,

So okay, how many G series desktop computers were made that run Mac OS, and then what's the next highest amount of desktop G series computers that have been sold.

It's probably, say 23 million Macs, and then 50,000 what, (diversified) linux boxes? Try to name one even.

Amiga is a much more favorable and a necessary choice for them.

Report this post  
elatour 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:05:45
#42 ]
Cult Member

@Atheist

The last thing we need is a hardware company buying all of the Amiga IP. Eventually, like IBM with their OS/2, they'll see OS4 as a liability and shut it down. Gateway already did the same with the Amiga IP, although we were lucky enough that they at least decided to sell the IP rather than burry it, like IBM did with OS/2 Warp.

Methinks that Genesi is basically doing the same thing. They are a hardware company, so developping software or a proprietary OS is not in their core business plans and not something that I would see them putting alot of money or effort into.

Last edited by elatour on 07-May-2006 at 11:06 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Zardoz 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:06:32
#43 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

Quote:
You are ready to rejoice the humiliaton and elimination of a party, and would PAY to see it.
Have a ceremony ready for if it happens.
How much trash talk (insults) have you personally contributed on the net over this in the last 5 years?

A war requires the users to contribute. No-one gives a toss about Amiga Inc. nowadays... I don't know whether they should die or just release Hyperion from the contract but they should let the OS4 team decide what hardware they want the OS to run on.

Anonymous 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:09:35
# ]

Hi elatour,

All Amiga Inc. is looking for is a company that they can trust to set up a one-to-one AOS4.0-to-MB deal with.

bbrv is not that entity.

Report this post  
smithy 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:11:50
#45 ]

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
I knew the red/blue war never ended.
Hi smithy,

You claim...
Quote:
Anyway, I suspect your post is implying that I am somehow in a trench throwing grenades at you and your 'side'. But I'm happy to tell you that I'm not, and neither are most people who you disagree with, and that both sides reconciled long ago and don't exist anymore.

Meanwhile....

Quote:
I'd pay real money to see Amiga Inc shut down in the most humiliating way by Genesi. I've got an expensive bottle ready and waiting for the occasion.

You are ready to rejoice the humiliaton and elimination of a party, and would PAY to see it.
Have a ceremony ready for if it happens.

How are the two things contradictory? My dislike of Amiga Inc started long before there even was a red side! My dislike came about precisely because I am an Amiga fan (Amiga fan, not Amiga Inc fan). Moreover, most people that were on the red side would probably agree with me.

How can you be an Amiga fan and support Amiga Inc? It'd be like the manufacturers of Lard sponsOring the Olympics. That position is absurd.

Quote:

How much trash talk (insults) have you personally contributed on the net over this in the last 5 years?

I've always made an effort to post constructively, and only when I've got something to say. Have you?

edit: fixed quoting.

Last edited by smithy on 07-May-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:29:22
#46 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

Quote:
It's probably, say 23 million Macs, and then 50,000 what, (diversified) linux boxes? Try to name one even.

Many more than that. The installed user base back in 1997 was 20 million and it's been 9 years since then. 50 million would be a closer call, I guess.

Samwel 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:31:05
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Welcome back!

Chill out, you're walking on a thin line as it is. Don't get angry and flip out over some
stupid Amiga Inc/Genesi discussion and have a +30day ban again.

Btw didn't you write that you would never again go back to AW on MooBunny?
Something about the AW being duped by OS4/A1 haters or something?!?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:34:41
#48 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Yes, total ever sold. But the difference with Macs is that most Amigas can still
be useful, even the first Amigas from 1985. A +5 year old Mac is not really. Also
most 68k Macs are left for dead aren't they? Anybody using one really or have
everyone upgraded to PPC Macs?

opi 
Posted on 7-May-2006 23:36:29
#49 ]
Team Member

@Atheist

Quote:
All Amiga Inc. is looking for is a company that they can trust to set up a one-to-one AOS4.0-to-MB deal with.

Will they trust Freescale? Becasue I'm quite sure they will have OSW (Peg2 owners will be able to trade it, yet again).

Even IBM (or IBUM in your words) names MorphOS a solution. Why the Dell you would refuse to have OS4 there?

Genesi is a HW company. They make hardware (the pice of computer you can kick) and supports some software projects that they find intresting. Is OS4 in the spot of intrest? Maybe. Is Power.org a chance to get some recognition from PowerPC crowd? I think so. What other company in Power.org, except Genesi, could find OS4 intresting? I don't know either.

Frags 
Posted on 8-May-2006 0:15:45
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Atheist

edited by wegster
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately.

Troll: Trolls show no respect for other people's opinions and deliberately crafts messages to provoke others with the intention of wasting their time and energy or just to cause anger and confrontations. There is no point in arguing with them; their minds are made up. Ignore them, and report the posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member.

Last edited by wegster on 08-May-2006 at 09:49 AM.

- insert profound text here -

Samwel 
Posted on 8-May-2006 0:41:07
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Frags

No, I don't think he's either. But his enthusiasm for Amiga can sometimes go
overboard when others don't feel the same "joy" over the situation or future
as he has.

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-May-2006 0:47:36
# ]

Quote:
AMiGR wrote:

@Atheist

Quote:

Many more than that. The installed user base back in 1997 was 20 million and it's been 9 years since then. 50 million would be a closer call, I guess.

Hi AMiGR,

You think that they sold 50 mil. G3/4/5 desktops? Well, ~3 mil. per year from 95 to 06 is ~36 mil. How many are still being used would be an interesting figure.

However, any OTHER branded G3/4/5 computers out there? None that I can think of with a complimentary OS. (Was BeOS produced along side with specific G3/4 HW?)

Now with Mac gone, there aren't any well known proprietary OSs to choose from.

Hi Samwel,

Yes I did say that, and I wanted to follow through, but this one got my goat.

Hi Frags.

Thanks. I think.

Report this post  
Samwel 
Posted on 8-May-2006 0:54:49
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Hi Frags.

Thanks. I think.

Ehh he called you a troll OR a idiot?!? Why thank him?
Maybe it was the part about being a clever troll

herewegoagain 
Posted on 8-May-2006 0:55:38
#54 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Right now, it seems that NOBODY is that entity. Amiga don't even communicate with Hyperion, from the bits that have been said. Amiga is a "deadbeat parent". If Genesi were able to buy them out, I would see it as a positive thing. At least Genesi are creating partnerships with IBM, Freescale, and the likes.. They are producing hardware that meets the specs the users want, and they are continuing to produce even next generation hardware, and I would give anything to have OS4 on Dual 970's with PCI-Express graphics.

Do I care for Bill Buck. No. I think he is a big a$$. But that is my personal opinion. Is he a sucessful business man? Yes. Can he get things done? Yes. Is his market moving forward? Yes. Could he create a "buzz" and interest in OS4. I think he could.

Where is our market going with all of our hardware designers? BTW, where ARE our hardware manufacturers? I'm sick of the "precious few" who own an A1 trying to snuff out any idea that can move our platform forward. The war is over. People like you need to get over it and move on. The rest of us have. What is there left to fight for? An OS that nobody can use (except you and a few others) that has no hardware?

I, for one, don't give a flying f@#K who owns the Amiga IP now. Knowing now what we do , I can only say that it would have been in better hands with Genesi from the begin with. Amiga Inc. is a non-intity, and from their actions, they have proven that they have no interest in OS4 or it's success. Stop trying to defend Amiga Inc. When was the last time a representative of Amiga posted anything to our community about their roadmap? When was the last time they even posted anything at all? The Garry Hare interview? How long ago was that? Why are we not hearing the shouting from the rooftops? Why don't they communicate with Hyperion and update the OS4 information on their website? If they were snuffed out today, would anyone care?

I've always been a supporter of Amiga Inc., but after this last couple of years of non-existence, and holding our market down, I can only say the best thing for them to do is to forget their stupid licensing crap and give control of OS4 over to Hyperion. We seem to be at a catch 22 and have been for a long time. I bet if you revisit this thread a year from now, there will still be no hardware from "the OS4 camp" and the same few will still be shouting anti Genesi hardware chants.

Plaz 
Posted on 8-May-2006 0:56:05
#55 ]

Quote:
A war requires the users to contribute. No-one gives a toss about Amiga Inc. nowadays... I don't know whether they should die or just release Hyperion from the contract but they should let the OS4 team decide what hardware they want the OS to run on.

A simple amen from me.

Plaz

CodeSmith 
Posted on 8-May-2006 1:59:37
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Herewegoagain

Fully agree with you. In fact, if Bill Buck posted an announcement tomorrow saying that he'd gotten hold of the Amiga IP, and included some of his usual mind game antics, I'd just tune out the "Bill being Bill" part and simply go out and buy a Pegasos (or Efika, or whatever ran OS4). I just want to run OS4 on a platform that's easily available, I'm too old for this religious war crap.

I just wish Amiga Inc would have been up-front and told us they didn't care about anything but the DE, instead of stringing people along with that "development system" nonsense. Would have saved everyone a lot of time, and a lot of grief too.

Frags 
Posted on 8-May-2006 2:03:38
#57 ]
Cult Member

@Samwel

I ought not to name-call but it`s inflammatory stuff from Atheist in this thread. Maybe it`s not meant as such, in which case I apologise.

- insert profound text here -

herewegoagain 
Posted on 8-May-2006 2:13:50
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi elatour,

bbrv is not that entity.

BTW, who at Amiga Inc. told you that is what they are waiting for, and how did you get a reply from them?

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-May-2006 2:21:58
# ]

Hi Herewegoagain,

It's all in interpretation.

Unless the people that own Amiga Inc. are insane, they wouldn't turn down a genuine offer to get AOS4.x to run on new HW.

The key word is genuine.

They can't accept any deal where AOS4.x is optional to the HW being sold to the end user.

They obviously see that as a disaster; equate to "Letting the genie out of the bottle."

They have at least 3 million $ to recover before they make any profit at all, and that's since Dec. 31, 1999.

Less and less people can deal with that because no new HW is available, but it's plainly obvious now that it takes alot more than $3 mil. to get a computer off the ground. THAT was their mistake. But they didn't have more than that, and couldn't find anybody else willing to come up with the rest, however much that may be. (Alan Redhouse did the best he could.)

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 8-May-2006 2:24:45
# ]

Quote:
Herewegoagain wrote:

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Hi elatour,

bbrv is not that entity.

BTW, who at Amiga Inc. told you that is what they are waiting for, and how did you get a reply from them?

Hi Herewegoagain,

They're free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I chalk that up to "common sense".

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle