Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 amigagr:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Project Moana Files
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
wegster 
Re: Project Moana Files
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 2:06:56
#161 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

Quote:

Bobsonsirjonny wrote:

I just got this spec off my parents Mac Mini - they hate it. They wish they had stayed with windows..

Hardware Overview: Machine Model: Mac mini CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2) Number Of CPUs: 1 CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB Memory: 512 MB Bus Speed: 167 MHz Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1

Is that of use?

Dunno. Raffaelle made mention of it working on 1.25GHz minis as well, but hasn't said how he knows this, or confirmed it, etc. *shrug* If you owned a copy of OS4, you could 'borrow it' and see.

Profile     Report this post  
Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 5:16:37
#162 ]

@wegster

Quote:

wegster wrote:

Raffaelle posted on A.org this would work with the 1.25GHz and 1.5GHz models...no clue where he got that info from...Raf?

What clue? Everybody knows of that...

Just google check about bootrom 4.9.4f1 which suggested the anonymous AmigaMac and you will find that this bootrom it is coupled with models of macmini which had 1.5 GHz...

There was started sort of internet chase to catch people who own a macmini with that specs, and has enough courage to run that wannabe loader if that it was real or just an hoax... Now we found one guy who has the required hardware and seems he succeded...

Great news! WHOA!

If he was not joking it just seems he proved it is sort of real loader...

But sure this opens a new universe to Amiga! If only Amiga Inc. and Hyperion could stop and take an agreement!

Hope that all amiga camps could stop their legal battles and could join and release an official version of it...

tomazkid 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 5:21:04
#163 ]
Team Member

So, is there any way to reflash the bootrom?

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 5:47:34
#164 ]

@Ferry

Quote:

Ferry wrote:
@Raffaele

If you need second hand Macs, there are some in some Japanese stores (in Spanish): you can find Macs as cheap as 11 EUR!!!

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

I hate macintoshes, and I hate to buy second hand machines if sure a second hand machine it is not the last hope to chase one, but this loader makes me enough interested to buy one second hand MacMini, and couple AmigaOS 4.0 with Pegasos II I already have and running MorphOS...

But where to find original AmigaOS 4.0 installation CD?

Sure Amiga Inc. and Hyperion must cease their quarrel and must came to an extra-judiciary agreement and start developing AOS 4.0 again.

Sure just the ancient PPC Apple MacMini which are still available on second hand market are not enough to raise the number of Amiga users.

Barret 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 5:50:38
#165 ]

I'm not in any way belittleing the success of getting this far, Great Work Just so I understand though, getting to a version 4 kickstart screen on a Mini is still a long way from having the OS installed and working isn't it? I mean it's great and all, but what do you do next? The boot floppy that ships with Classic 4.0 sure won't work to install on a Mini. So, where would you go from here? Is the rest of the OS4 classic CD even close enough to work? That would really amaze me if so. I would think there would be substantial differences.

-Jeff

tomazkid 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 6:42:30
#166 ]
Team Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
Just google check about bootrom 4.9.4f1 which suggested the anonymous AmigaMac and you will find that this bootrom it is coupled with models of macmini which had 1.5 GHz...

Just checked, my MacMiniPPC 1.33 Ghz has firmware
4.9.4f1.

tonyw 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 9:24:17
#167 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:

And, interestingly, no one whose code was distributed in this has spoken up, nor has ACube.

Well, that's not quite true. The console.device is entirely my work, and I was not asked whether "they" could release it. But what can I do? Once a pirate version is released on the 'net, you can't stop it. I don't know where this software was obtained from, who released it, but it certainly was not with my permission.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

AV 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 9:52:38
#168 ]

@wegster

Quote:

I'm expecting this to become a flamefest at some point. Technically, the distribution of the original uploaded image is illegal, and against copyright law, possibly among others. I believe posession is also considered the same way. However, having said that, I don't believe discussion of such a thing is. And, interestingly, no one whose code was distributed in this has spoken up, nor has ACube.

You have a PM.
I hope it'll be enough.

Last edited by AV on 31-Dec-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 10:33:07
#169 ]

@tomazkid

Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
@Raffaele

Quote:

Just checked, my MacMiniPPC 1.33 Ghz has firmware
4.9.4f1.

Sorry pal... This last night I was still asleep, and I forgot to mention all I knew, because I kjust knew it was simply evident...

The anonymous pirate AmigaMac just gaves enough hints on Eab closed thread:

Quote:

Post #47 already gives full info on how to make it work! Other than that you need a ppc mini, it will work if it reads PowerMac 10,2,4 4.9.4f1, date 07/12/05

We Amigans in italy had a parallel discussion about AmigaOS on Macmini loader, because we want a certain proof that this wannabe loader was a trick, an hoax, or it was for real... and one of us just discovered that it refers to mac Mini of a limited edition...

http://www.ikirsector.it/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

(google translate in the comments were it was said that it was discoveder using Mactracker)

I just believed that people in other countries they too already know about this fact...

Or do you believe that amigans worldwide are not enough smart as us italians to solve puzzles by some hints?

Really none noted this fact?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 10:36:17
#170 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

>> just believed that people in other countries they too already know about this fact...

Or do you believe that amigans worldwide are not enough smart as us italians to solve puzzles by some hints?

I am sooooooooo confused!

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 13:37:10
#171 ]

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@Raffaele

>> just believed that people in other countries they too already know about this fact...

I am sooooooooo confused!

Ahem... Excuse me TheDaddy...

I went ad bed at 7:55 this morning and I wake up at 10:30 and I just immediately run to internet to see the news so I was still a lot confused...

Now I got some strong coffee and I take a shower and I was almost awake, so I could write some English that it sounds almost comprehensible to all readers.

Well, what is the problem? Don't you understand my words?

Sure these were confused, but it refers to the subthread that it started here about the firmware of Macintosh...

Some people want to know how it is possible that I knew that the loader should work only on 1,33 and 1,55 GHz Macintosh machines...

Easy...

I knew it beacuse I read the italian thread about this wannabe loader of AmigaOS on Mac PPC, and someone else (not me) just was enough smart to solve the clues from AmigaMac, and he discovered that this peculiar bootrom from Macintosh just works on that standard-overclocked version of Macintosh model...

http://www.ikirsector.it/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Many of us in Italy were searching about someone who has that kind of Macintosh, in order to test by ourself here in Italy that wannabe-loader software ISO with just the correct model that AmigaMac indicated in EAB forum, i.e. the only Mac model capable to run that loader.

He gives us enough hints, but only italian user "Luciodra" was eonugh smart to solve the puzzle and find the Mac model that should be capable to run the loader...

Sure he was really good!

Luciodra da man!

Seems that in other countries, the Amigans can't just made a correct google search and solve the puzzle, as did Luciodra...

The hints of AmigaMac:

1) Make sure you use the 'MM_Full_silent_USB' configuration, number 5 probably.

2) it will work if it reads PowerMac 10,2,4 4.9.4f1, date 07/12/05

Just passed un-noticed to their eyes... And they couldn't even solve the puzzle!

They are just people with no internet search skills!

Then let's now come back to our story:

When yesterday I spotted user DBAlex on Amiga.org, who said he has an hardware that sounds me to being compatible...

Quote:

Re: Amiga OS4 on old (PPC) Macs

@motorollin:

Holy Cr*p man!

Could you send the files to me perhaps? (Shall I PM you my Email?)

I have a late 2005 G4 Mini with a 64mb Radeon 9200, Will it work?

Thanks, Alex. [Posted from the Mac Mini]

...Bingo!

Then I remember the italian thread and suggested him to try booting the loader, telling him the infos I knew, and encouraging him, becuase I felt that this time we all could have a solution to all this strange story!

DBAlex tried, and booted with success...

WHOA!

-----

Sure I am always thinking that in other countries underestimate us italians, but I do not believe they underestimate us THAT BAD...

And mainly those who underestimate us italians very very badly are right the other amigans worldwide!

How bad!

They believe we are uncapable to made good computers until they saw Moana...

Sure they never heard of Olivetti manufacturer and the real first computer...

They believe we were uncapable to made good software until they saw OWB browser from Andrea Palmaté...

Now they ask me how I knew that it was the Macmini with 1,5GHz that could perform the boot of that loader...

But sure I could pass on that, because they were completely unaware of the discussion we had in italy about about that wannabe AmigaOS-on-Mac Loader...

It is human... And none it is entitled to know about the things we are discussing, and there are not enough people understanding italian language and read our fora sites...

But sure they made me mad, because they do not believe that we italians are enough smart to solve problems... not even capable to solve even those ELEMENTARY puzzle games of hints and little suggestions who gave us on EAB forum that mad outlaw coder who was nicknamed AmigaMac...

Sure as being italian I feel underestimated here on Amiga forum...

Last edited by Raffaele on 31-Dec-2007 at 01:42 PM.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 14:15:48
#172 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

But DBAlex at last booted OS4 on his macmini using that loader?. I have been disconnected of the thread by long time.
Tell us about it.
Thanks in advance and Happy new Year!

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

polka. 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 14:41:23
#173 ]

@Raffaele

[long text snipped]

WTF does this all have to do with "being Italian", "underestimating the Italians", "believing that Italians are smart enough to do XY"?
Sorry, but you are making a fool out of yourself, really. Especially because you were the one who registered on EAB just to tell to the people that it was NOT Moana what AmigaMac posted.

Last edited by polka. on 31-Dec-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Last edited by polka. on 31-Dec-2007 at 02:42 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 15:53:26
#174 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

I think Raffaele needs to go to sleep for 10-12 hours!

You mad Italian!

From what you are telling us, if I have understood correctly, Amigamac gave clues on how to make OS4 on a mac mini work. He didn't tell you how to do it but just hints.

So if you guys in Italy have managed to solve this "puzzle" then congratulations and well done, that was clever!

Also from your notes it sounds like there is only one type of mac mini able to do this, is this correct?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 15:57:22
#175 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

I think Raffa is just a BIT OVEREXCITED!

I think he is very proud of what ACube (Italians) have managed to do and what those guys (Italians) have managed to do in order to make OS4 work on a mac mini.

He is a very proud southern Italian man, with fire in his belly or maybe even up his a.rse!

Cheese 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 16:16:27
#176 ]

@Raffaele

Can't help it but for some reason you reminded me of Captain Alberto Bertorelli

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 19:31:21
#177 ]

@polka.

Quote:

polka. wrote:
@Raffaele

[long text snipped]

WTF does this all have to do with "being Italian", "underestimating the Italians", "believing that Italians are smart enough to do XY"?

I am not in that mood... Just seems to me that you have not undestand anything of us...

We italian users have evaluating that loader too and we too started a discussion about it, wondering what it was...

We arrived first to the solution, by discovering it existed that peculiar MacMini hardware...

You all were stuck on testing it on normal macs...

We ialian users only need the hardware to test that ISO, but we do not have it, and fortunately it arrived DBAlex who had the right hardware to test it...

Quote:

Sorry, but you are making a fool out of yourself, really. Especially because you were the one who registered on EAB just to tell to the people that it was NOT Moana what AmigaMac posted.

So what? Should I stay silent and do not advice people of the chance that loader was malicious code?

At that time, in that strange day this loader arrived into internet, all Amigan people, even from Acube, we all believed it was a fake or a trojan capable to destroy mac installations... Only some brave Mac-Amigans tried it with courage...

Don't you remember?

Or you are the smart habit to run on your machines any software of uncertain origin?

And still we are not certain that the loader was for real or if maybe it prompts fake screenshots...

Time will see...

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 19:45:32
#178 ]

@Cheese

Quote:

Cheese wrote:
@Raffaele

Can't help it but for some reason you reminded me of Captain Alberto Bertorelli

Who's that guy?

Seems to me a character from an humor movie...

wegster 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 19:51:50
#179 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
Sure just the ancient PPC Apple MacMini which are still available on second hand market are not enough to raise the number of Amiga users.

You're kidding, right?
Compared to 1000 or so OS4 users?

And ancient? Compared to both classics and A1s?

I'm thinking you're still asleep here...

BTW, stop with the Italian and Google/net search nonsense already, will ya?

Cheese 
Posted on 31-Dec-2007 21:32:02
#180 ]

@Raffaele

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Alberto_Bertorelli

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle