Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 171 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  4 secs ago
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  32 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
scabit 
Re: First Debian Etch Installer CD release!!
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 19:21:06
#241 ]

@hypex

I have now tried a couple of times using either expert mode in Squeeze or recovery mode to finish my install. I always get an error installing packages.
I verified that my target drive hde10 has 75% free (25% used) so space is not an issue.
One time I was unable to connect to a mirror so I told it to skip the user program install and just complete the installation. It did so and told me installation completed and asked me to shut down. I did so, but on powerup i saw no new entries in my uboot selection menu for squeeze.
I tried adding an a1boot.conf file to the Squeeze hde10 partition by booting into Lenny and mounting hde10 then using nano to create a file in the hde10 boot directory named a1boot.conf that had a squeeze title and was setup to use the hde10 partition.
So I booted onto my Lenny partition and added a mountlist entry for Squeeze that mounted /hde10 and used the 2.6.31-1 boot image in the Squeeze boot directory (making sure the filename was correct). Rebooting and trying this, when i select my Squeeze boot option all I get is an error saying "unable to find second level boot loader".
I added to my Lenny etc/fstab the hde10 partition as an almost exact copy of my hda2 Lenny boot partition, changing the device name of course.
Still get the no slb2 loader found error.

This brings up the question.....given my setup, that is, booting from a SIL0680 drive with a Lenny root partition but wanting to be able to also boot from a Squeeze partition located on the hard drive connected to my internal IDE master connector on my microa1.
I thought that the A1 would scan all mounted drives (internal or SIL0680 bus) and list any a1boot.conf file contents it sees from any partition. Is this true? Will it list the ones found on drives that are NOT the booting device (i.e. in this case my internal IDE connected drive?)

Okay....suggestions welcome. How do I finish this installation of Squeeze?

Thanks!

Scott

Profile     Report this post  
damned 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:04:23
#242 ]

@scabit

The SLB scans only the first hd of the boot medium selected

scabit 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 21:44:54
#243 ]

@damned

Quote:
The SLB scans only the first hd of the boot medium selected

Ah...that is just what I am seeing.

So, how do i trick Debian into mounting my "other" hard drive as root and booting into this secondary hard drive from the first one? That is, if I put the squeeze kernel image and boot files into my Lenny directory which IS on my boot drive (the SIL0680 controller master), and mount hde10 using the Lenny /etc/fstab... can I then change my root partition from the Lenny partition of hda2 to the squeeze partition of hde10 and boot into squeeze on the hde10 root partition?
Sounds tricky....

Scott

damned 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 22:38:10
#244 ]

@scabit

i think you can't

damned 
Posted on 21-Jan-2013 22:41:59
#245 ]

@Hypex

I'm using kernel 2.6.18 and my bootarg is like this:
Linux4 /boot/uImage-2.6.18 root=/dev/sda3 video=radeon:1024x768@60 ide=nodma hdb=noprobe
I've 1Gb and a 9250 video card.
(more tests to come...)

scabit 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 3:02:19
#246 ]

@hypex

Okay, it starts to look like the problem is with locale. I can use the squeezer to log into a shell on my installed system root partition (hde10) but when I try to run for example
apt-get install gdm

it installs it...but with lots of errors like this:

"cannot set LC_TYPE to default locale, file or directory not found"
" "LC_MESSAGE " "
" "LC_ALL" "

I have googled this and discovered about 4 different answers. for example I tried locale-gen.
Doesn't work
Tried editing /etc/locale.gen to have only the en_US UTF-8 line uncommented, saved it, ran locale-gen
Doesn't work
Tried editing /etc/locale.gen to use a different en_US line (comented out the utf-8 one), ran locale-gen
Doesn't work
Tried dpkg-reconfigure locales
Doesn't work

Any more ideas?

When I install and run gdm, I get the fancy new Debian login screen...but my mouse and keyboard do NOT work. I assume it is because there is no valid locale.

What shall I try next?

Scott

damned 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 22:49:50
#247 ]

@Hypex

i tried the kernel on your boot cd with my linux installations and is stucks like booting with the cd...so it's a kernel problem...maybe i can try to substitute my kernel with your boot cd?

damned 
Posted on 22-Jan-2013 22:52:10
#248 ]

@scabit
"I get the fancy new Debian login screen...but my mouse and keyboard do NOT work"

the same appened to me when i tried to install squeeze a year ago...

scabit 
Posted on 23-Jan-2013 19:05:33
#249 ]

@damned

Quote:
the same happened to me when i tried to install squeeze a year ago...

It may be as simple at the locale problem experienced by many debian users who upgraded to squeeze. If locale doesn't work, the keyboard and mouse lock up at login...from what I can read.
apparently locale stopped working with the UTF-8 US_EN mapping, and because that is the default mapping on the install CD from Hypex, maybe this is what is stopping us from getting it working. Just a theory...I know for a fact that locale is failing from my attempts at installing apps via apt-get that report failures of locale EVERY time.
There also may, in addition, be kernel problems. But until I get locale fixed and working, I won't know for sure....

Scott

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Jan-2013 16:34:31
#250 ]
Elite Member

@Guys

I have noticed a bit of activity here. Been busy but will comment tonight.

So much for my comments last night! Unexpected late night home from work Friday. So will come back with some answers tonight. Just little more patience.

Last edited by Hypex on 25-Jan-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Geri 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 13:08:38
#251 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@Hypex

It locked up at "Preparing Gnome-disk-utility". It simply stayed there, no disk activity, and never came back. I had to do a hard reset (waited several minutes first).

I then tried to use the Rescue Squeezer to continue the install. I booted up (this time with nodma set true) and set hde10 as my root, and tried to tell it to install packages. It came back with a red screen o' death and said "Select and Install Software fails".

Use the rescue installer, mount the root partition and open a shell in the installer environment. Then you can mount the /dev/, /proc/ and /sys/ directories in the /target directory, where the system partition will be mounted (IIRC). The other directories are sometimes needed during the package installation.

Quote:
$ mount --bind /dev /target/dev
$ mount --bind /proc /target/proc
$ mount -- bind /sys /target/sys

Finally you can open a shell in your installed system using chroot:

Quote:
$ chroot /target/ /bin/bash

It's likey that you have to finish the installation of the halfway installed packages first. I think the following command will do that:

Quote:
$ dpkg --configure --pending

Afterwards you can tell tasksel to install the remaining missing packages:

Quote:
$ tasksel install --new-install

tasksel should not need to download the packages again, if they are still on the harddisk.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 13:23:08
#252 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@hypex

One time I was unable to connect to a mirror so I told it to skip the user program install and just complete the installation. It did so and told me installation completed and asked me to shut down. I did so, but on powerup i saw no new entries in my uboot selection menu for squeeze.

Just to understand you correctly: you reinstalled the system?

Quote:
I tried adding an a1boot.conf file to the Squeeze hde10 partition by booting into Lenny and mounting hde10 then using nano to create a file in the hde10 boot directory named a1boot.conf that had a squeeze title and was setup to use the hde10 partition.
So I booted onto my Lenny partition and added a mountlist entry for Squeeze that mounted /hde10 and used the 2.6.31-1 boot image in the Squeeze boot directory (making sure the filename was correct). Rebooting and trying this, when i select my Squeeze boot option all I get is an error saying "unable to find second level boot loader".
I added to my Lenny etc/fstab the hde10 partition as an almost exact copy of my hda2 Lenny boot partition, changing the device name of course.
Still get the no slb2 loader found error.

This brings up the question.....given my setup, that is, booting from a SIL0680 drive with a Lenny root partition but wanting to be able to also boot from a Squeeze partition located on the hard drive connected to my internal IDE master connector on my microa1.
I thought that the A1 would scan all mounted drives (internal or SIL0680 bus) and list any a1boot.conf file contents it sees from any partition. Is this true? Will it list the ones found on drives that are NOT the booting device (i.e. in this case my internal IDE connected drive?)

Okay....suggestions welcome. How do I finish this installation of Squeeze

I'm not sure, if I understood everything, but I would simply copy the Squeeze boot image on /dev/hde10 to the /boot directory of your Lenny installation on /dev/hda2 and add an entry to the a1boot.conf file on /dev/hda2. An entry in /etc/fstab for Squeeze on your Lenny installation is not necessary. You may also have to disable the onboard IDE controller in U-Boot, so that U-Boot resp. the slb_v2 will only scan the sil0680 controller. Linux should still be able to find the harddisk on the onboard IDE controller though.

- A1 Linux support -

Geri 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 13:28:04
#253 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
scabit wrote:
@hypex

Okay, it starts to look like the problem is with locale. I can use the squeezer to log into a shell on my installed system root partition (hde10) but when I try to run for example
apt-get install gdm

it installs it...but with lots of errors like this:

"cannot set LC_TYPE to default locale, file or directory not found"
" "LC_MESSAGE " "
" "LC_ALL" "

Looks like the installation is incomplete...

Quote:
I have googled this and discovered about 4 different answers. for example I tried locale-gen.
Doesn't work
Tried editing /etc/locale.gen to have only the en_US UTF-8 line uncommented, saved it, ran locale-gen
Doesn't work
Tried editing /etc/locale.gen to use a different en_US line (comented out the utf-8 one), ran locale-gen
Doesn't work
Tried dpkg-reconfigure locales
Doesn't work

The ladder one should work, at least when the "locales" package is installed? Was there any error message?

Quote:
When I install and run gdm, I get the fancy new Debian login screen...but my mouse and keyboard do NOT work. I assume it is because there is no valid locale.

Unlikely. Maybe some xorg drivers where not installed correctly. A look at the Xorg.0.log file in /var/log would help here.

- A1 Linux support -

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 15:30:01
#254 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Internally connected 80 gig IDE drive - connected to micro A1 motherboard as master - seen as hde.

Does this work okay in DMA mode? From any OS?

Quote:
Note - this previously had a backup of my Lenny install on it. I did not format it - perhaps I should have? I set it as root, bootable etc.

Yes you should have formatted it! Did it give you a warning about an unclean target?

Quote:
It locked up at "Preparing Gnome-disk-utility". It simply stayed there, no disk activity, and never came back. I had to do a hard reset (waited several minutes first).

Try reset combo also: Ctrl-Alt-Delete. So PC.

Quote:
I then tried to use the Rescue Squeezer to continue the install. I booted up (this time with nodma set true)

Okay for what controllers was it disabled? For hde that would appear on controller 2 and primary bus.

Quote:
It came back with a red screen o' death and said "Select and Install Software fails".

Did it give a reason?

Quote:
All files SHOULD be on my hard drive - it downloaded them all successfully after all.

Yes they should be in the apt (package manager) cache.

Quote:
Where do I go from here?

For now following Geri's hints would be a start. I have had a broken installed system before and it can be a pain to fix!

Quote:
Thanks! This installer looks great by the way. You have done an excellent job.

Thanks man! Now just gotta get it to fully work .

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 15:43:47
#255 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
I did so, but on powerup i saw no new entries in my uboot selection menu for squeeze.

Okay to avoud messing around try this:
- Boot my CD into the rescue mode.
- Mount your Squeeze volume as the "/" target.
- Enter a shell.
- Enter this to create the menu and install boot image and modules:

./amigaone/postinstall.sh

Quote:
Rebooting and trying this, when i select my Squeeze boot option all I get is an error saying "unable to find second level boot loader".

That's very strange error as the SLB is used to show the menu!

Quote:

The SLB will only scan for one a1boot.conf file. Once it finds one it will show any entries. It wont look for any others nor merge them together.

As I understand it unless the drive is part of the booting chain it won't look on it.

There is another ceaveat. The a1boot.conf file must be on a drive that has the SLB installed as the A1 booter. Otherwise it won't find it. I found this out the hard way!

Quote:
Okay....suggestions welcome. How do I finish this installation of Squeeze?

Once you have this menu and files installed it should work better.

Last edited by Hypex on 26-Jan-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 15:46:37
#256 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
So, how do i trick Debian into mounting my "other" hard drive as root and booting into this secondary hard drive from the first one?

Once the kernel has loaded off any medium you can load Linux off whatever drive you like. All you need to specify is where it sits in the root bootarg in the a1boot menu entry. What device point it is. You can use labbels as well and it will locate it.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 15:50:00
#257 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Any more ideas?

Perhaps try removing the locales package and reinstalling it? That may conflict with dependants.

Quote:
When I install and run gdm, I get the fancy new Debian login screen...but my mouse and keyboard do NOT work.

Damn it that happens to me also! I wonder if it is a PS/2 issue. Got a USB KB/mouse to test?

Last edited by Hypex on 26-Jan-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 15:58:28
#258 ]
Elite Member

@damned

Quote:
I'm using kernel 2.6.18 and my bootarg is like this:

Okay good. So this works fine?

Quote:
i tried the kernel on your boot cd with my linux installations and is stucks like booting with the cd...so it's a kernel problem...maybe i can try to substitute my kernel with your boot cd?

You could but it won't work for Squeeze. It's too old. It wouldn't be worth the effort needed which is to rebuild an installer image with the earlier kernel.

Found a serial cable yet?

Check the installer boot.img against this MD5:
4dcc10a4adb0d00153e2312b4c346df2

Thanks for testing.

scabit 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 16:59:25
#259 ]

@Geri

I'll try your suggestions from post #251 and see what happens.
Besides the problems i had with the Squeeze install, and the locale problems, what I am attempting to do is rather unorthodox..to say the least. Specifically, I am trying to boot from a Squeeze partition that is NOT on my boot hard drive, that is, it is on the internal IDE drive of my micro A1 when I am booting from the SIL0680 160Gig drive.
As such, I am not and apparently will not see an entry in my startup in UBOOT for my Squeeze root for the reasons you listed.
What I may try to do is just set up my internal drive as my boot drive in UBOOT and see what I get from there. I alread made an a1boot.conf file with the correct parameters to use Hypex's boot image file from Squeeze.
And yes, the /boot directory already had the kernel files and image file for Squeeze in it. I think when I went through the install (booting from Hypex's install CD) and continued the install, when it failed at the software portion I skipped to the next step and had it complete the installation.
So theoretically, the files should be there for me to boot from Squeeze if I make the squeeze drive my main partition.
No, I have NOT reinstalled everything. I have tried to reinstall, and it skips through the downloading part since everything is already on the hard rive in the apt archive, but it has always failed at the part I mentioned in my previous post. So the system installs completely, it is just the software packages that do not complete. I opened a shell and seperately downloaded and installed gdm, but that failed with the LOCALE problems.
This LOCALE problem seems to be a nuisance to many in the Debian Squeeze community. From what I can read, there is a problem with Squeeze using US-EN locale with UTF-8 for some reason. Many people have used many ways to fix this...so far none of them have worked for me.
I'll try what you suggested and see if I can finish the install...but again, the system install completed perfectly...only the software packages failed to finish installing.
I'll let you know what happens...

Thanks!

Scott

damned 
Posted on 26-Jan-2013 17:21:46
#260 ]

@Hypex
Damn it that happens to me also! I wonder if it is a PS/2 issue. Got a USB KB/mouse to test?

Happen the same with ps2 or usb mouse or keyboard.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle