Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

fingus

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fingus:  2 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  6 mins ago
 Karlos:  21 mins ago
 amigagr:  28 mins ago
 MagicSN:  36 mins ago
 pixie:  50 mins ago
 Hypex:  56 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  steps to run OWB 68k more than 3* faster
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
bernd_afa 
Re: steps to run OWB 68k more than 3* faster
Posted on 10-Dec-2008 12:34:22
#101 ]
Cult Member

@Mrodfr

yes i know how can owb build, but i am too lazy to modify all my files, i like more to have the correct tools running and can use cmake.is also usefull for other programs.

amiga OS offer vfork, but i think many goes wrong, because ixemul offer a fork func that dont work.

maybe when i change ixemul the config scripts detect, that only vfork is here.

Linux buildsystem do before compile check if functions are here and if no fork is here use vfork.

i think OS4 does not support vfork and fork, this show that they have change gcc that it do not use fvork.but cant then use multi CPU compiler.

vfork and fork are nearly same.

Profile     Report this post  
Mrodfr 
Posted on 14-Dec-2008 9:17:09
#102 ]

@bernd_afa

I have played with last defpengui version - sound activated - and run the game on differents resolution (From 640x4808(ugly) to 1024x768 with 8-16-24 bits).

Before beginning the test, I was imagined that the result will be 20 frames on 640x480x8 to 5 frames on 1024x768 (ctl+lalt+h activated) But at the end of the tests, allways the same frame rate (3-4 and 9-10 with ctrl+lalt+h activated).

Finally, sdl 68K run allways with the same method and maybe just the CPU is used and maybe just the 030 CPU (why not) and don't care about the resolution and bitplans used here.

NOTE:

About the pointer more and stop and move and stop, this problem isn't here during the loading first part and appeared with the one player page (because a trashed logo move on the upper part of the one player window).

For bernd informations.

Tested my system with bustest on aminet and fast transfert around 28-32 mb and chip transfert about 3-4 mb.

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

bernd_afa 
Posted on 14-Dec-2008 9:59:15
#103 ]
Cult Member

>Tested my system with bustest on aminet and fast transfert around 28-32 mb and >chip transfert about 3-4 mb.

bustest only test the transfer rate of fastram or chipram

if you want test transfer speed to gfx card you must add the address of GFX card as shell option.

to get the address you can look in boardinfo what address your GFX card use.

then you can use the address +1000

but after test better reboot, you write illegal to mem.

>About the pointer more and stop and move and stop, this problem isn't here during >the loading first part and appeared with the one player page

Does this happen when you disable sound with --nosound ?
I am not sure if it is sound problem or not.

>(because a trashed logo move on the upper part of the one player window).

the logo first are lines, then the lines move together and get the logo

If it is trashed, maybe you can send me a screenshot ?

>Before beginning the test, I was imagined that the result will be 20 frames on >640x480x8 to 5 frames on 1024x768 (ctl+lalt+h activated) But at the end of the >tests, allways the same frame rate (3-4 and 9-10 with ctrl+lalt+h activated).

this i dont understand, does this mean when you start the game in 640*480*8 first show 20 fps and after a while show only 9-10 fps ?

btw: it can also give some speed if you have a fast copymemquick version.or maybe switch off the copy mem quick function and reboot tosee if maybe copymemquick make problems. copymem is used to transfer the data to GFX Card.

maybe you have a copymem quick patch that use move16 commands.move16 commands are fast, but emulate on a 68060.emulate instructions freeze the mousepointer.

BTW; wawa get now the test too running, when he use a 16 bit wb screen on voodoo.he not report about mouse hangs. so there seem no voodoo/Mediator problem

Last edited by bernd_afa on 14-Dec-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 14-Dec-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 14-Dec-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 14-Dec-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 14-Dec-2008 at 09:59 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Dec-2008 13:20:02
#104 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

Quote:
>Before beginning the test, I was imagined that the result will be 20 frames on >640x480x8 to 5 frames on 1024x768 (ctl+lalt+h activated) But at the end of the >tests, allways the same frame rate (3-4 and 9-10 with ctrl+lalt+h activated).

this i dont understand, does this mean when you start the game in 640*480*8 first show 20 fps and after a while show only 9-10 fps ?

he meauns he has expected higher values (er meint er hat 20fps erwartet)
all in all we set similar readings. mine seem a little higher (5-6/17) fps probably due to differences between mediator1200 and 4000. i expect 1200 to be a little slower.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 14-Dec-2008 14:57:57
#105 ]

@bernd_afa

Quote:
Does this happen when you disable sound with --nosound ?I am not sure if it is sound problem or not.

Yes, mouse problem began with one player screen and not before.

Quote:
the logo first are lines, then the lines move together and get the logoIf it is trashed, maybe you can send me a screenshot ?

I think It's trashed. 3 to 4 horizontal colored line move vertically forever. No logo drawed. And here the mouse move and stop and move and stop...

Quote:

No said that with all resolutions and depth tested, allways the same speed (pratically) and not 20 fps with 640x480 and 5 fps with 1024x768. Strange ??
SDL 68k don't care about resolution and depth and maybe not use 060 ???

(3-4 fps and 9-10 fps with ctrl+lalt+h activated, with all resolutions and depths mode).

Quote:
btw: it can also give some speed if you have a fast copymemquick version.or maybe switch off the copy mem quick function and reboot tosee if maybe copymemquick make problems. copymem is used to transfer the data to GFX Card.

Effectively used here a copymemquick from MCP but tested with copymemquick disabled and same mouse pointer move and stop on one player screen and after.

Last edited by Mrodfr on 14-Dec-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 17-Dec-2008 18:04:19
#106 ]

@all

New SDL.library V1.2.13, for 68k, available here:

http://amiga.sourceforge.net/

Thanks a lot for Bernd for the update and Diego Casorran for the site .

matthey 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 4:39:56
#107 ]
Elite Member

Sorry to dig this old post up but I have some questions...

I have an old LIBS:SDL.library but the new SDL at SF has no such library. Is it merely a link library? I renamed the shared library and the SDL penguin game still ran so I assume so. Do some SDL programs use the shared library and others the link library?

bernd_afa 
Posted on 6-Feb-2009 11:00:22
#108 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

most games use the SDL lib linked.OWB do that too.
when sdl is really finished and rock solid for all games, i release too a amiga library.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 06-Feb-2009 at 11:01 AM.

matthey 
Posted on 7-Feb-2009 1:24:17
#109 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

Thanks for clearing that up and thanks for the work on SDL. The Penguin game worked pretty well but I had problems with the window closing and the jerky mouse/input problems like someone else reported. It would be nice to put the application to sleep when it's window is not selected if possible. I had 4 fps and about 30 with 1/2 the frames turned off (AHI=Paula mono) on 800 x 600 16 bit (PC) screen. With sound turned off I got 8 fps and about 30 with 1/2 the frames turned off. The Mesa demos work fine here but may not support hardware 3D. Most Warp3D programs work also. I play glquake at 640x400. The Vague magazine (on Aminet) works flawlessly. It has some good programming tips and examples as well as what to watch out for when doing 3D programming on the Amiga. An article titled "MiniGL coding" says...

"StormMesa only supports old graphics chips in hardware mode (like the Permedia2 cards). Other cards (like the Voodoo cards) are not supported and work only in software mode. For example, if you have a Voodoo3 on your classic Amiga, all StormMesa programs will be rendered by the CPU, so will probably only produce around 2-3 fps. On a BlizzardVision it will be over 15 to 20 fps due to the fact that StormMesa is programmed to directly access the hardware."

"The third and final implementation (of OpenGL) in our discussion id MiniGL. MiniGL still has some bugs and is missing some (a lot) of features of OpenGL but it works with Warp3D drives, and as such works fine in hardware mode on classic machines, as well as on MorphOS and AmigaOS4. This means you can create 68k binaries, which will work on MorphOS, AmigaOS3, AmigaOS4 and even WinUAE in HW mode."

So MiniGL is probably the way to go for OpenGL support. It is a link library at this point. The magazine includes some examples even. You should definitely read this magazine.

My hardware...

CSMk3 68060@75 MHz (in 3000T currently)
Mediator 3000T/4000T with Voodoo4 and FastEthernet
Plenty of ram and Ultra SCSI setup

Last edited by matthey on 07-Feb-2009 at 01:27 AM.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 7-Feb-2009 9:03:29
#110 ]
Cult Member

>So MiniGL is probably the way to go for OpenGL support. It is a link library at this >point. The magazine includes some examples even. You should definitely read this >magazine.

Minigl have not enough features to run most 3d HW accel progs.it was only design to run quake and some functions are add.So it is far away from a complete opengl.also tinygl miss some functions but it have more and thats the reason wy there is blender out for MOS and some other games.

But Mesa is a complete opengl.Problem wy Voodoo3 not work is that it support only 256*256 Pixel texture size

storm mesa print out the reason wy not use hardware accel on Voodoo 3.but you see some small rectangles that have not so large texture are draw with voodoo.

So the only way to go to get voodoo3 working is a splitter, that split large textures and rectangles in smaller parts

but i find no code

I get a link (thanks for this), in this direct3d split the textures, so no code.

http://juhara.com/article-en-13-2D-Animation-with-Direct3D-Part-3.html

I hear radeon 9200 cards work on 68k too.maybe somebody with such a card can test.this card support larger textures.

3D hardware operation statistics
--------------------------------

Rasterization compatibility check failed due to the
following reasons:
2532: texture too large for perspective texture mapping

Rasterization statistics

Number of points drawn using 3D hardware: 0
Number of lines drawn using 3D hardware: 0
Number of triangles drawn using 3D hardware: 0
Number of quads drawn using 3D hardware: 393

>For example, if you have a Voodoo3 on your classic Amiga, all StormMesa >programs will be rendered by the CPU, so will probably only produce around 2-3 >fps.

there are some demos that use smallö textures that run fast on a voodoo 3 a tester report.

try out gears texcyl.

If this run not fast when you size teh window to fullscreen then your setting is not optimal.

try out mesa/veryfast envarc set to 1.I see you have a voodoo 4.maybe voodoo 4 have not the 256 pixel texture limit.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 07-Feb-2009 at 09:19 AM.

matthey 
Posted on 7-Feb-2009 16:58:37
#111 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa

I can see why you want to use StormMesa. It's fairly mature, fast and stable, at least here. I just wish the source code were available so we don't end up at a dead end with using it. It's based on GNU code so maybe we could ask Haage & Partner for the source? That's the advantage of the MiniGL, that it's open source and can be made to work on any Amiga like OS.

I used the -nohw switch with the Mesa demo texcyl and it slowed the demo way down. So hardware support is working here on the Voodoo4. The Voodoo4 and Voodoo5 do support textures larger than 256x256 but Warp3D uses a Voodoo3 emulation mode so they may not be supported in Warp3D. The Radeon cards on the Mediator with AmigaOS3 do not have any Warp3D support as far as I know. I wonder if Elbox is working on them. I believe the Radeon cards support large textures as pretty much any newer cards do.

There sure are a lot of Amiga classic software that needs updating. I think you chose good places to start. I would love to have better ixemul.library, GCC 4.3.x and SDL support. It's frustrating trying to develop anything on the Amiga classic and difficult to support without these tools. If you need any testing let me know. Keep up the good work.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 9-Feb-2009 12:54:27
#112 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

>I just wish the source code were available so we don't end up at a dead end with >using it. It's based on GNU code so maybe we could ask Haage & Partner for the >source?

the storm mesa code is in aminet, but i have not compile it or compile a newer MESA.
using mingl is no good idea, ainc itself have on the contract tell Hyperion they should port MESA 4 to OS4 as important and a time is set to 15 Months.But nothing happen with MESA on OS4.

I think the only luck Hyperion have, that there is not clear if ainc is the owner.
if after 7 years a feature declared as important is not done, there is it absolut legal to end a contract by to slow of workers.

bad that warp3d support not larger textures on Voodoo 4 and 5.

I think there need only a place hack that the warp3d error is ignore texture too large.
ormaybe there is a switch.

But have you test gnujump/sdljump if on voodoo4 realy come the error texture too large ?

http://artishq.wordpress.com/2008/12/29/gnujump-106/

Last edited by bernd_afa on 09-Feb-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle