Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
52 crawler(s) on-line.
 34 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

matthey,  Hammer,  cdimauro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  13 secs ago
 Hammer:  22 secs ago
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  36 mins ago
 bhabbott:  39 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  42 mins ago
 Hypex:  58 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ???
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
PosterThread
SHADES 
Re: ...My dear Hyperion, is now the time to go to --> x86 ???
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:32:54
#601 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

that x86-OS4 fanboys would have cried very loud,

I bet that Apple PPC-Fans cried out loud when Apple announced the switch to x86... Yet Apple never sold so many Macs than now they have switched to x86.

And I'm ready to bet the same would happen if OS4 was to switch to x86... The company has to drive the market, not a bunch of fans, and do whatever it takes to achieve that.

Apple did that. Several times. Commodore (and any one who bought it later) miserably failed to do so. Here is the result.

Btw a lot of people cried very loud for more communication... This has yet to happen...

Completely agree. There is no communication and the already damaged userbase is now getting lost unable to pay for a product they would actually use.

This non communication is doing nothing now but hurting the existing userbase and people, like myself, are hitting their heads trying to nut out a more stable future, based on current market offerings and trends, including/like Apple.

Profile     Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:34:06
#602 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Show us the money and the people to port OS4 to x86...that's all I am saying. I would love OS4 on x86, which particular motherboard and chipset will have to be decided, but who is going to do that? Who is going to pay? Who is going to wait years for it?

>>That's an easy one. I have looked at the specs of the current offering of SAM. There is a website you can have a look at if you don't believe me.

I have got a SAM+OS4.1, contrary to you, and it is not that bad, not as sh*t as you say.

Give me OS4 on X86 and I'll buy it together with the pc it is supposed to run on. It has to run natively and it must have quite a few good apps and games for me to open my wallet though.

Until then you'll find me here playing and enjoying my SAM+OS4.1

COBRA 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:35:05
#603 ]

@Leo

Quote:
This is not an issue.
- OS4 applications need to be recompiled (run faster than ever).
- 68k applications are emulated using UAE (better compatibility than ever).

There's quite a few OS4-native software whose author is no longer accessible, and you won't be able to get it "recompiled", or they may simply not be interested in supporting two different architectures simultaneously and releasing multiple binaries all the time. As for 68k emulation using UAE, that requires an AmigaOS 3.x installation, and I don't think people will want to maintain two seperate AmigaOS installations and boot into a 3.x system each time they want to run some 68k application.

Quote:
Now there are enough native applications.

You're kidding, right?

COBRA 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:42:32
#604 ]

@eniacfoa

Quote:
You could find the show is over for hyperion at the end of the court case quite easily.

A lot of things could happen, but regardless of the eventual outcume of the mediation and the court case, the fact rimains that right now neither Hyperion, nor Amiga Inc. are in a position to get OS4 ported to x86, and it is still irrelevant now how much money was spent on lawyers and what else that money could have been spent on.

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:43:28
#605 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@SHADES

Show us the money and the people to port OS4 to x86...that's all I am saying. I would love OS4 on x86, which particular motherboard and chipset will have to be decided, but who is going to do that? Who is going to pay? Who is going to wait years for it?

>>That's an easy one. I have looked at the specs of the current offering of SAM. There is a website you can have a look at if you don't believe me.

I have got a SAM+OS4.1, contrary to you, and it is not that bad, not as sh*t as you say.

Give me OS4 on X86 and I'll buy it together with the pc it is supposed to run on. It has to run natively and it must have quite a few good apps and games for me to open my wallet though.

Until then you'll find me here playing and enjoying my SAM+OS4.1

- People have already, myself included say they are willing to pay for x86 AOS4.x. At least we will have a guaranteed H/W platform for years to come so we can focus efforts on the OS. I payed $380 AUS to buy Windows XP. I would happily pay similar for AOS esp if I can just go buy the H/W from the computerr store and not need to take out a loan or fight with my spouse about my hobby.

- You say it's not so sh** What's wrong with the perfectly good PC i have stittng next to me ath can emulate that SAM at twice the speed and has more expandablity and use.
Your asking me to justfiy and old PCI slot Mainboard with low spec CPU at 4x the cost? i have a old 933 P3 that has AGP on it! 6 PCI slots and onboard NIC/Sound and 6 USB2.0.
It cost me $500Aus for my current quad core PC and is not hard to get parts and i can plug in anything currently on the market to run in it, maybe more time could now go in to driver research!

I agree with your 2nd last comment and I'm sure you are not alone. It would make the OS affordable to mass, easy to obtain and run, maintain and use. i too would buy it.

As for your last sentance, I am glad you have that kind of money to blow on a hobby. I will need to look at WinUAE which offers me more function under emulation. I can't afford to give that kind cash away and if that current trend continues, it's only going to get worse.

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 01:45 PM.

whose 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:44:10
#606 ]
Cult Member

@SHADES

Quote:
Prove it. Where's that homework!
I don´t need to prove it. Reality does this for me. It´s not my problem that you and the other hardline x86 supporters don´t want to see actual development.

Quote:
Unfotunatly for people here, the current H/W / OS offering is just too expensive and restrictive to justfiy purchase which in the end, no matter how you like to phrase it or make it seem blurry or whatever equals reduced sales, less mnoey and a mauch harder to develop future revisions for.

The problem is, that you´re talking about the topic by trying to make all people here equal, what they definetly are not. There are people leaving, there are people joining. Some don´t want to pay the price, some do. Some people may buy an x86 OS4, some won´t. Some people are seriously interested in x86 OS, some are only pretending, that they are.

You try to argue in a way, that only you have the right and only valid view on what is going on in Amigaland and outside it, and that´s simply not the right way, regardless if you like it or not.

It isn´t helpful to argue with "PPC machines won´t be purchased by anyone" when people are actually purchasing them. It isn´t helpful, too, if you try to use an argument like "PPC is dead" and showing the same time that you don´t even have a clue where the PPC is used with great success. Not to speak of the AROS thing.

The x86 supporters have a very serious problem with this discussion: Reality.

They only propose some things and some results, but cannot guarantee, that future will exactly look like that and continue to ignore the faith of AROS, because it doesn´t match their agenda. Even their politics is very bad, making outside people very confused about the future of AmigaOS, because most of these people know some more about the IT market than you do and they know about the chances for "just another alternative on x86 machines" to win a tiny pot.

PPC supporters have the better base, all that they can use as argument is indeed reality and in most cases they have their fingers on it, while typing their posts. If PPC will be dead sometimes in the future, isn´t interesting for them, because it actually isn´t and even some progress was seen for the last months, eagerly awaited and became reality at last.

They use their not-suitable-for-desktop-use-machines as desktop machines and are quite happy with it. I even know of some people, being actually returned to AmigaOS with SAM and Peg2.

Hope you see your problems yet, as I don´t have a clue anymore, how to show you even more clearly.

Regards

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:46:06
# ]

You should have more faith. Some big company's going to turn up any day now, with an idea for a consumer device that nobody's thought of yet, that simply requires an old-fashioned Amiga-branded OS that runs on PowerPC. We'd be mad to throw that away.

Similarly, if I were looking for a piece of meteorite, I'd simply go and stand in a field with a bucket until one landed in it. No way, would I just grow old and die waiting for it to happen.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 26-Mar-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 26-Mar-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Report this post  
TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:49:41
#608 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

>>- You say it's not so sh** What's wrong with the perfectly good PC i have stittng next to me ath can emulate that SAM at twice the speed and has more expandablity and use.

There is nothing wrong with it. There is a mountain of obstacles to overcome before you get AOS to x86, fully functional. AROS has been around for years!

>>Your asking me to justfiy and old PCI slot Mainboard with low spec CPU at 4x the cost? i have a old 933 P3 that has AGP on it! 6 PCI slots and onboard NIC/Sound and 6 USB2.0.

A lot of people have. I also gave up one of my expensive pcs for the SAM+OS4.1.
I somehow found the money...I didn't have it, I don't have bags of cash.
It felt strange spending £600 on SAM+OS4.1 but I thought that this was the only way to support ACube and Hyperion AND give me the chance to play with OS4.1.

eXec 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:51:14
#609 ]
Cult Member

@whose

Quote:

Yeah, reality is the cruel one. x86 has smashed PPC.. I`m not happy with it, but it`s obvious
and every single "parrot" can see it...even the blind "parrots" see that PPC is officially
dead in desktop computing. That`s the reality my friend.

Quote:
They only propose some things and some results, but cannot guarantee, that future will exactly look like that and continue to ignore the faith of AROS, because it doesn´t match their agenda. Even their politics is very bad, making outside people very confused about the future of AmigaOS, because most of these people know some more about the IT market than you do and they know about the chances for "just another alternative on x86 machines" to win a tiny pot.

The chances for survival are BIGGER that staying on current old PPC hardware!

Quote:
They use their not-suitable-for-desktop-use-machines as desktop machines and are quite happy with it. I even know of some people, being actually returned to AmigaOS with SAM and Peg2.

This theory produces a new slogan...

Amiga - ready for the museums !

All the best,

Me - (as the moderator implicated me, Major parrot here on this portal!)

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:52:57
# ]

@whose

Quote:
They only propose some things and some results, but cannot guarantee, that future will exactly look like that and continue to ignore the faith of AROS, because it doesn´t match their agenda.

Yep, it's those people I talked about standing in the field with a rusty old bucket waiting for a meteorite to land in it. No offense to those folks, but they will die waiting, and what a waste that is.

Report this post  
SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:55:56
#611 ]
Cult Member

@whose

Quote:

whose wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:
Prove it. Where's that homework!
I don´t need to prove it. Reality does this for me. It´s not my problem that you and the other hardline x86 supporters don´t want to see actual development.

Quote:
Unfotunatly for people here, the current H/W / OS offering is just too expensive and restrictive to justfiy purchase which in the end, no matter how you like to phrase it or make it seem blurry or whatever equals reduced sales, less mnoey and a mauch harder to develop future revisions for.

The problem is, that you´re talking about the topic by trying to make all people here equal, what they definetly are not. There are people leaving, there are people joining. Some don´t want to pay the price, some do. Some people may buy an x86 OS4, some won´t. Some people are seriously interested in x86 OS, some are only pretending, that they are.

You try to argue in a way, that only you have the right and only valid view on what is going on in Amigaland and outside it, and that´s simply not the right way, regardless if you like it or not.

It isn´t helpful to argue with "PPC machines won´t be purchased by anyone" when people are actually purchasing them. It isn´t helpful, too, if you try to use an argument like "PPC is dead" and showing the same time that you don´t even have a clue where the PPC is used with great success. Not to speak of the AROS thing.

PPC supporters have the better base, all that they can use as argument is indeed reality and in most cases they have their fingers on it, while typing their posts. If PPC will be dead sometimes in the future, isn´t interesting for them, because it actually isn´t and even some progress was seen for the last months, eagerly awaited and became reality at last.

Hope you see your problems yet, as I don´t have a clue anymore, how to show you even more clearly.

Regards

Well then, lets see the uptake stats on what you are saying. From the looks of this debate, i would say there are probably more people worried about having to shell out for this H/W / OS offering. I am one of these such people.

Again, you are so negative about the discussion. All I see in your post is that you are completly closed to discussion on anything related to making the Os/ platform more obtainable to people like myself, and tell us to go elsewhere and get rich before coming back. I can't afford it, others too cant justify to purchase it. Do you really think that the AMIGA community can afford to loose a few more users?

Please explain to me your logic on negativity when the WHOLE debate around even considering x86 codebase is to try and increase sales of the OS, guarantee a future H/W base that IS affordable, is ready now and will continue in to the future and to bolster the AMIGA user pool and not subtract any more people. Quite frankly, you have me at a loss Whose. I see it as an AMIGA user trying to look at any alternative to keep using the Os i loved since i was a kid.

x86 users have a problem? you won't even entertain a friendly discussion whithout saying people who like a "CODEBASE" for heaves sake have a problem. ROFL!

You entertain the guarentee of a future on H/W that took years to even materalise when the OS was ready to go! Are you offereing a guarantee for this current path to enable me to ocntinue to use AOS, because sir, if you are, i want to sue you as i can't afford it and you have just lied. ;)

There is no 100% guarantee even x86 will continue AOS development. I am willing to guartee you that there will not be a shortage of x86 H/W platform in the forseeable future at least, and they won't break your wallet either.

Have i addressed my "problems" for you well enough?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 13:57:22
#612 ]
Elite Member

@everyone

Bored of this...goodbye...

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:01:51
#613 ]
Cult Member

@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@SHADES

>>- You say it's not so sh** What's wrong with the perfectly good PC i have stittng next to me ath can emulate that SAM at twice the speed and has more expandablity and use.

There is nothing wrong with it. There is a mountain of obstacles to overcome before you get AOS to x86, fully functional. AROS has been around for years!

>>Your asking me to justfiy and old PCI slot Mainboard with low spec CPU at 4x the cost? i have a old 933 P3 that has AGP on it! 6 PCI slots and onboard NIC/Sound and 6 USB2.0.

A lot of people have. I also gave up one of my expensive pcs for the SAM+OS4.1.
I somehow found the money...I didn't have it, I don't have bags of cash.
It felt strange spending £600 on SAM+OS4.1 but I thought that this was the only way to support ACube and Hyperion AND give me the chance to play with OS4.1.

- There is a lot wrong with it. Stop looking at it from a bugs perspective and look at it as a marketable package cause if it sells less with each revision, it will die. As I have said, there is something wrong with it, it's too expensive for starters and that's only pusing up any future development costs when people have to go elsewhere.

- Again! i'm warpped for you, great you can afford it! Quite a few of us here can't and that made us unable to buy it and that has made the userbase less. See the above point for what that spells.

I'm sorry they won't get my money. I'd love to play with it too. Maybe I can purchase an emulater for less in the future!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:06:58
#614 ]
Team Member

@SHADES

Quote:
Just HOW has SAM expanded the userbase????? where are those stats that saw AMIGA user numbers increasing to enough numbers to even cover development costs? What, did those numbers help re-coup costs for the OS even, forget the H/W.

Ok you are arguing semantics.

SAM has obviously and most definately expanded the *ACTUAL* userbase. Meaning those who *actually* run AOS 4.x.

What you are trying to argue is that it has reduced the *potential* total userbase that would be interested in running AOS 4.x. You argument is because its out of the reach of the masses.

There is no need to play games with words SHADES. The actual userbase is up. Maybe by a number you would scoff at, but it is up nonetheless.

Considering our hobby nature for an OS though, any more users is a good thing. I admire that you want it to be a major player OS again in the world at large. While you are ####ed that it isn't for the next god knows how many years, I'll at least try to enjoy 4.1 with my fellow hobbyists.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:11:21
#615 ]
Team Member

@SHADES

Quote:
Well if no one listens, if nothing is done to fix this situation, I guess you can kiss your hobby OS goodbye because those dwindiling users are only going to drive costs up if you keep hanging on to the idea of custom designing H/W platforms that have to comete in a ready world of good fast and cheap H/W

If it goes, so be it. I'll be sad. But I'll have appreciated the effort Hyperion did make, which over the years has been considerable. After all, it is just a hobby. I'll still have MOS to play with, AROS will be further along as well. If you win the lottery just remember to give all the money to Hyperion as a gift rather than to your family with the stipulation that they make an x86 version. I'd by that too. In the meantime I'll be glad they are trying to expand the actual userbase with the extra PPC support they have provided recently.

Amiga 1200

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:15:07
#616 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:
Just HOW has SAM expanded the userbase????? where are those stats that saw AMIGA user numbers increasing to enough numbers to even cover development costs? What, did those numbers help re-coup costs for the OS even, forget the H/W.

Ok you are arguing semantics.

SAM has obviously and most definately expanded the *ACTUAL* userbase. Meaning those who *actually* run AOS 4.x.

What you are trying to argue is that it has reduced the *potential* total userbase that would be interested in running AOS 4.x. You argument is because its out of the reach of the masses.

There is no need to play games with words SHADES. The actual userbase is up. Maybe by a number you would scoff at, but it is up nonetheless.

Considering our hobby nature for an OS though, any more users is a good thing. I admire that you want it to be a major player OS again in the world at large. While you are ####ed that it isn't for the next god knows how many years, I'll at least try to enjoy 4.1 with my fellow hobbyists.

I agree with your post here. It has reduced the total ammount of users.
Who's playing games! I won't deny this is exactly what i am referring to. There is no word games on my behalf.

Of course i'd love it to be a major alternative one day.
Pipe dream, maybe!. At the moment, it can't even survive cutting users as a hobby OS unless it consits of elitists or those with money to spend.

At least on x86 H/W, development will be on the OS itself not needing to rely on a H/W 3rd party to sell it and get $$ back and there is plenty of H/W out there to run it on and develop for. Just about anyone can contribute. most importantly, the OS product can be sold. $400 - $700 is not a huge ask for an OS of this stature. I have already pledged support in the next poll.

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:22 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:15:26
#617 ]
Team Member

@SHADES

Quote:

SHADES wrote:

Great, and the majority here by the looks of things can't afford the current offering given let alone find much use with the sepcs it has. Maybe meet half way? Is there a half way or do we need to wait for WinUAE Mk2 that emulates the newer platform?

I know your pain. I could not afford a used AmigaOne for years, never did find one at a reasonable price. I had SAM on order, but I'm fully willing to admit I was very relieved when they made the Peg2 version. That was a considerable savings to me. I'm sorry that Hyperion is not in a position to give you a product in the form you demand it be right now. On the brightside, maybe they will someday in the coming years.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:18:43
#618 ]
Team Member

@SHADES

Quote:
The whole point is that SAM is too expensive, too slow and custom developed which already TAKES MORE resources and money than a potential port would.

You guys keep confusing money spent by Acube with money spent by Hyperion. Just because Acube had the money to design and make SAM for the embedded market (and us by happenstance) has nothing to do with what resources Hyperion has to make a x86 version opf AOS 4.x.

Amiga 1200

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:19:07
#619 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:

SHADES wrote:

Great, and the majority here by the looks of things can't afford the current offering given let alone find much use with the sepcs it has. Maybe meet half way? Is there a half way or do we need to wait for WinUAE Mk2 that emulates the newer platform?

I know your pain. I could not afford a used AmigaOne for years, never did find one at a reasonable price. I had SAM on order, but I'm fully willing to admit I was very relieved when they made the Peg2 version. That was a considerable savings to me. I'm sorry that Hyperion is not in a position to give you a product in the form you demand it be right now. On the brightside, maybe they will someday in the coming years.

I just hope by then it's not too late and there is a hobby OS called AMIGA in the same flavour.
Those handfull of people that can afford to buy it are less than what we currently have now.
It's very sad. it's why this topic was brought up in the first place to try and rattle a few cages in those in a position to make this change or a change I should say, from a downward spiral.

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:28 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 14:21:25
#620 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@SHADES

Quote:
The whole point is that SAM is too expensive, too slow and custom developed which already TAKES MORE resources and money than a potential port would.

You guys keep confusing money spent by Acube with money spent by Hyperion. Just because Acube had the money to design and make SAM for the embedded market (and us by happenstance) has nothing to do with what resources Hyperion has to make a x86 version opf AOS 4.x.

There is no confusion fairlane, the two are completely entwined.

There is no other way to run AOS4.x other than buy that H/w base which is too expensive etc etc etc.

The H/W stops the uptake/purchase of the OS for users to run it. See?
So that means hyperions Dev costs have to go up to cover that loss for any future revision as sales are down and then the cycle repeats. Price goes up, a few more leave.......etc etc etc....

Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle