Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  1 min ago
 pavlor:  17 mins ago
 matthey:  28 mins ago
 pixie:  55 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Please stop calling AmigaOS / MorphOS a hobby os!!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
rigo 
Re: Please stop calling AmigaOS / MorphOS a hobby os!!!!
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 20:07:37
#21 ]
Cult Member

@DiskDoctor

Perhaps we could also discuss why the lack of "professional" applications (like video or audo editing) is the fault of the OS too?

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

Profile     Report this post  
asymetrix 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 20:14:52
#22 ]
Cult Member

@Thread

I also dont like 'hobby OS' , it gives potential new users, developers & companies the wrong image, which would be hard to remove in the years to come.

Please remember if someone uses AmigaOS for fun, great - but some people earn a living /business off AmigaOS.

Has anyone played with Pagestream Desktop Publisher on OS4 ?
Version 5 should be out for 68k and PPC.

http://www.pagestream.org/shownews.php

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 20:24:06
#23 ]

Until we get a decent Registry editor Amiga OS is a joke!!!

Oh wait, I remember why I DO use Amiga OS now!!!!

Arko 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 20:27:02
#24 ]

@DiskDoctor

Quote:

DiskDoctor wrote:
Hello,

I read some statement here pretty recently that AOS or MOS "lack DTP so can be no more than hobby OSES".

AOS and MOS are hobby OSes because:

1. Both OSes are programmed mostly as a hobby, the user bases are to small to pay professional programming teams.

2. A lot of standard applications don't exists for this OSes, they are only suitable for hobbyists.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Varthall 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 21:56:37
#25 ]

Does the "hobby" bit in hobby OS refer to the availability of professional software, or to the use of the OS by its users (as a hobby or as the main computer)? IMHO the term applies to both, so both interpretations of OS4 as a hobby and as a normal OS are valid.

Varthall

DiskDoctor 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 22:05:39
#26 ]
Cult Member

@rigo

Quote:

rigo wrote:

Perhaps we could also discuss why the lack of "professional" applications (like video or audo editing) is the fault of the OS too?

It is a related topic but I wouldn't get into this here/yet. Unless the answer for many people is "why am I supposed to write anything for a purely hobby os, since I can do it e.g. for linux"? See: below

Quote:

I also dont like 'hobby OS' , it gives potential new users, developers & companies the wrong image, which would be hard to remove in the years to come.

That's exactly the result of such an irresponsible behaviour as mentioned in my topic. Calling something "funky fun" all over doesn't help making it more developed.

Quote:

1. Both OSes are programmed mostly as a hobby, the user bases are to small to pay professional programming teams.

Shares have nothing to do with the purposes.

They are hobby because they are programmed as a hobby??? Listen for yourself, some guys

Quote:

2. A lot of standard applications don't exists for this OSes, they are only suitable for hobbyists.

Name something I should be having and ain't got yet. And justify it, giving me the reason. If you don't, I will be treating this notion as another empty words to be found in this very thread. No offence, but I'm very happy of what I got now (and there's more, there are new stuff coming too )

BinoX 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 23:33:52
#27 ]
Cult Member

Hobby:
An activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

Using that definition I suppose it IS a hobby OS for users. Although I personally don't really like the term "Hobby OS". It's all down to interpretation at the end of the day really.

If I wanted to I could probably use AmigaOS as my main operating system, but I still use windows and have my OS4 machine as the OTHER computer.

Why? Mainly skype video and voice chat to be honest, and the odd game of WoW here and there, although WoW doesn't really bother me much.

Maybe one day there'll be a useable skype client for amigaos/morphos. Who knows?

Now I've forgotten the point that I was going to make, I suppose that's what I get for just typing away, lol. It was something along the lines of: "Since AmigaOS is developed commercially and makes money for the company that writes it and the company that supplies hardware then it's not strictly speaking a hobby OS"

Well, that's close enough to what I was going to say anyway, I think there was more... but I'll leave it at that before I end up typing a small book in this box :)

ChrisH 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 23:35:39
#28 ]
Elite Member

Unless someone can provide a defintion of "hobby OS" that we can all agree on (unlikely!), the term "hobby OS" is *literally* useless, because the only use of a word is in having a shared understanding of what it means.

If you want to describe an OS as a "hobby OS", it would be best if you describe what you mean by that, and avoid the term "hobby OS" altogether!

Last edited by ChrisH on 20-Dec-2009 at 11:36 PM.

tomazkid 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 23:48:48
#29 ]
Team Member

@DiskDoctor

Quote:
And I'm not having MS Office till now.

so use Abiword for docx.

Samwel 
Posted on 20-Dec-2009 23:58:15
#30 ]
Elite Member

@BinoX

Quote:

An activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

Then Windows is also a Hobby OS. Because it's the ONLY thing I use it for.

IMO the term Hobby OS is used by some as a derogative remark.

I would call it "not ready for general public consumption" due to lacking too much
drivers for different hardware and, most importantly, programs used by the large
majority of people. But the last part is atleast adressed in some part lately.
Also those programs not lacking are often very simple in comparison to the other OSes
versions.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

tomazkid 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 0:03:28
#31 ]
Team Member

@Samwel

For me AmigaOS is a hobby.

Hobby for me is something you do to relax, spend free time and have fun with.

Windows at home is a hobby OS as well (games), most of the time.

Outside home it is not, since you really can't play games at work without being fired, unless working with games for a living.

rigo 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 0:08:12
#32 ]
Cult Member

@tomazkid

Would it not be more correct then to say, "AmigaOS is a hobby", rather than "Amiga is a hobby OS"?

Comments made by me on any public fora are not representative of, or on behalf of, any company I may have, or assumed by the reader to have, any association with.

Any comments are a personal opinion, and should be accepted as such.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 0:23:21
#33 ]
Elite Member

@DiskDoctor

That's ridiculous of course. AmigaOS has had DTP for years, it certainly doesn't lack it!

Things like ProPage, PageStream and a number of others. And if the argument is that there is no modern DTP software for AmigaOS then PageStream immediately refutes that as it is still being developed and is sold on Windows as well.

tomazkid 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 1:09:14
#34 ]
Team Member

@rigo

Quote:
Would it not be more correct then to say, "AmigaOS is a hobby", rather than "Amiga is a hobby OS"?

didn't I say just that?

Yes, agree with you. It is not about the OS, it is about what you do with it.

So any OS can be a hobby, depending on what you do with it, as well as every OS can be used professionally to make a living, that goes for AmigaOS too.

minator 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 1:46:00
#35 ]
Cult Member

I think the real problem is AmigaOS has an image problem with itself. AmigaOS was once a contender, it competed with the biggest OSs around and was in many respects better than them at the time.

Trouble is that time has long passed and some people don't want to admit it. Perhaps calling AmigaOS a hobbiest OS is really an admission that it is no longer competitive and some people find that uncomfortable.

Thing is, AmigaOS is not competitive and hasn't been for a long time, like it or not, it is very firmly a hobbiest OS now. It is after all used primarily as a hobby by people.

The C64 folks have great fun with their systems but nobody is under any illusion that it's going to compete with Windows 7 or OS X. They just have fun with their computers.

The Amiga is in the same boat, the Amiga is neither modern nor competitive, get over it.
Recognise that and the hobbiest label is no longer a problem.

Forget trying to be competitive, recognise that it is now just a hobby and have fun with your Amiga.

Quixote 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 2:45:54
#36 ]

How come nobody has mentioned NewTek's Video Toaster? That's hardly a hobbyist application, and it ran on AmigaOS 3.1, well before there was a 3.5 or 3.9, let alone today's 4.0, etc.

Epsilon 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 3:24:53
#37 ]

@minator

I agree 100% with your assessment.

I have been an Amiga user since 1988, and have owned almost every Amiga released and really enjoyed using them.

Amiga 500 and 2000HD was my main computer until around 1994, and I kept using buying and using Amiga's for fun and for building tower conversions of 1200's, etc.

I got rid of a lot of that stuff now and I kept my original Amiga 2000/030, Amiga 4000T, CD32 and the SAM440EP systems because I still enjoy using them for tinking around. I was very satisfied to get the indivision ECS working on my A2000 and CDROM support under Workbench 1.3! Bring on Indivision 4000T AGA please!

I now also have a SAM440EP running AmigaOS 4.1. I really enjoy mucking around with it, and the software and games released for it, eg. BOH. But I never fool myself into thinking it will replace my main computer. It is for fun - a reminder to me of what it is that made me get into computers in the first place - which is a fond memory!

My main computer these days is OS X on a Macbook Pro, and it does everything I need, but I can never resist the urge to tinker with an Amiga upgrade for fun...

I think we should just enjoy what Amiga is now, and be grateful we still have people dedicated enough to get hardware and software out there to keep us playing around with Amiga's and having fun!

- Epsilon

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 3:44:52
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Quixote

The Amiga Video Toaster 4000 with the Flyer card is still fun to play with.

It's a big world and there is room in it for Amiga OS 4.1, MorphOS & AROS. They are not as boring as Windows. Mac OS X is fun to play with too.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 21-Dec-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Last edited by DiscreetFX on 21-Dec-2009 at 03:46 AM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 4:08:34
#39 ]
Team Member

@all

I see these operating systems as "hobby operating systems" because they do not give the type of out-of-the-box experience that is expected by today's computer user/consumer. Also because many flagship applications that people know are not available on these systems. A number of substitute applications exist, but they are almost all names no one outside the community would have ever heard of. Also because they all run on very limited hardware bases natively.

Only a hobbyist IMHO says stuff like: "sure I'll buy a $1000 machine just to run it" or "sure I'll run Abiword instead of MS Office or Open Office".

It does not mean to me that you can't do professional work on these operating systems. Perhaps even some can be done better on it. But thats not its primary user base either. Most folks buy it as a hobby activity as well.

So I don't have an issue with the term myself. I don't think it should be taken to mean that you can't do professional work on it, because you can in certain areas.

Amiga 1200

QuBe 
Posted on 21-Dec-2009 5:11:19
#40 ]

@fairlanefastback

I decided to log in just to reply to this - I have to agree with everything you wrote above; could not have said it better myself.

Q!

"i am home"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle