Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  1 min ago
 ktadd:  29 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  58 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 1Mouse:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Allanon:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X1000 CPU clue :)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
koft 
Re: X1000 CPU clue :)
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 12:32:38
#81 ]

@andres

Quote:

andres wrote:

well said!

How is that well said? It's one of the most delusional things I've ever read. A-Eon mentions a "partnership" with Verisys, though Verisys doesn't mention it on their site. Partnership claims are weaksauce, they mean nothing. It's something that small companies like to toss around trying to pretend they're important. Any agreement they have with Verisys is an agreement that Verisys won't sue them for saying they have a partnership.

Does anybody actually think that Verisys is impressed with AOS4 and the A1X1K? A system that even diehard AOS4 aficionados are scoffing at the price tag? A system with an OS that could barely rival windows 3.1 here in 2010?.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Averisys+aeon+a-eon&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Last edited by koft on 22-Jun-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
vidarh 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 12:40:57
#82 ]
Cult Member

@koft

Quote:

How is that well said? It's one of the most delusional things I've ever read. A-Eon mentions a "partnership" with Verisys, though Verisys doesn't mention it on their site.

This reminds me of the hysteria when Hyperion was slow to put anything on *their* site about A-Eon. It's become pretty clear since that there's a genuine partnership in place there.

As for why there's nothing on Varisys' site - they have a total of three news items on their site, all dating from 2009. They don't seem like the most communicative people.

They're clearly in any case a fairly small company, so I don't see it as unreasonable that they might see this as a potentially valuable partnership.

(And btw. you keep misspelling their name)

xeron 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 12:44:24
#83 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@koft

Quote:

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't discuss issues about things going on in the Amiga sphere of happenings?

Discussion is fine. Using pure speculation and assumption as the basis for derogatory remarks about A-Eon and their intentions is not called for.

Last edited by xeron on 22-Jun-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Last edited by xeron on 22-Jun-2010 at 12:44 PM.

koft 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 12:49:04
#84 ]

@vidarh

Quote:

vidarh wrote:
@koft

Quote:

How is that well said? It's one of the most delusional things I've ever read. A-Eon mentions a "partnership" with Verisys, though Verisys doesn't mention it on their site.

This reminds me of the hysteria when Hyperion was slow to put anything on *their* site about A-Eon. It's become pretty clear since that there's a genuine partnership in place there.

As for why there's nothing on Varisys' site - they have a total of three news items on their site, all dating from 2009. They don't seem like the most communicative people.

They're clearly in any case a fairly small company, so I don't see it as unreasonable that they might see this as a potentially valuable partnership.

(And btw. you keep misspelling their name)

They don't care man, they're a PCB design company. No PCB design company is going to tell the customer that product is lame and won't sell. The "partnership" is a worthless statement. Few have ever heard of the PCB design firm and even less have heard about AOS4 or A-Eon. It will have zero impact on sales given that died in the wool AOS4 users are scoffing at the price tag and the first demonstration of the machine showed it running like a dog with three legs and a plastic funnel around it's neck.

DAX 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 12:55:46
#85 ]
Elite Member

@koft
What is it about : "It doesn't matter who guessed what, or what got leaked, you know nothing of the specifics of any NDA that A-Eon have with their CPU supplier, and calling it "BS" and "games" based on assumptions only makes you look like a troll. " thant you don't understand?
Which part of it?

koft 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 12:57:03
#86 ]

@xeron

Quote:

xeron wrote:
@koft

Quote:

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't discuss issues about things going on in the Amiga sphere of happenings?

Discussion is fine. Using pure speculation and assumption as the basis for derogatory remarks about A-Eon and their intentions is not called for.

You're being disingenuous. I never used "pure speculation", I wrote my assessment based on my personal experience having worked in the field of hardware design and software development for over 10 years.

Your position seems to rail on anyone who isn't 100% positive about this A1X1K fiasco.

DAX 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:00:38
#87 ]
Elite Member

@koft
You have 0 experience with PA-Semi and you were called out on it, you base your assumptions on irrelevant data and with ill intentions. Simple as that.

Last edited by DAX on 22-Jun-2010 at 01:00 PM.

koft 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:01:09
#88 ]

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@koft
What is it about : "It doesn't matter who guessed what, or what got leaked, you know nothing of the specifics of any NDA that A-Eon have with their CPU supplier, and calling it "BS" and "games" based on assumptions only makes you look like a troll. " thant you don't understand?
Which part of it?

Go back and read my previous posts, I explained fully why I came to that conclusion. Feel free to toss around the label "troll" all you like, it just shows that you have nothing to back up your position. Also, would you kindly get off my back, it's annoying how you are following me around on various web forums.

pavlor 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:01:22
#89 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Quote:
Your position seems to rail on anyone who isn't 100% positive about this A1X1K fiasco.

I still wonder why you use so much energy to bash A-Eon and X1000...
...maybe bad day? ...or sleepless night?

Don´t panic. It is their money they throw out of window.

xeron 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:01:34
#90 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@koft

Quote:

You're being disingenuous. I never used "pure speculation", I wrote my assessment based on my personal experience having worked in the field of hardware design and software development for over 10 years.

No i'm not. We didn't know the CPU, we were told that NDAs prevented them from announcing this information. People found evidence suggesting it might be a PA6T. Immediately you accuse A-Eon of spreading BS and playing games. This is unfair. No matter how many boards you've designed, you DO NOT KNOW what agreements there are between A-Eon, Varisys and the CPU supplier. You just don't. From that position of pure speculation, or as you protest "informed speculation", AT BEST you could say that you find it suspicious, but to make accusations and derogatory remarks is just uncalled for.

Edit: Oh, and FYI, right now with my day job I have around 6 non-disclosure agreements signed in my name with hardware and software suppliers. Doesn't mean I have any clue what the deal is between A-Eon and their suppliers.

Quote:

Nonsense.

Last edited by xeron on 22-Jun-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Last edited by xeron on 22-Jun-2010 at 01:03 PM.

koft 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:05:02
#91 ]

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@koft
You have 0 experience with PA-Semi and you were called out on it, you base your assumptions on irrelevant data and with ill intentions. Simple as that.

No ill intentions at all. I haven't dealt with PA Semi. You're correct on that. I have, however, dealt with a lot of other companies and have actually designed hardware, written firmware for said hardware and shipped more devices on multiple occasions than there are AOS4 users in existence a great number of times. I've given my opinion based on my experience. From my experience I have to say that this wreaks like BS. Sorry.

bitman 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:07:10
#92 ]
Cult Member

@koft

Quote:
A-Eon mentions a "partnership" with Verisys,

It's spelled Varisys, not Verisys:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=5497

koft 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:10:48
#93 ]

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@koft

Quote:

I still wonder why you use so much energy to bash A-Eon and X1000...
...maybe bad day? ...or sleepless night?

Don´t panic. It is their money they throw out of window.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I really want the Amiga to succeed. I really wish the Amiga family of OS's ran the world. In a perfect world I wouldn't be writing this post on a MacBook, I'd be writing it on an Amiga. Unfortunately this new development with A-Eon and the A1X1K is a massive letdown. AOS4 is a let down. Something insanely expensive that few can afford, an OS thats probably so far beyond the times that it can never catch up. What's worse, the hype machine from this company has been so absurd that it makes one want to vomit.

DAX 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:10:51
#94 ]
Elite Member

@koft
here is where I rooster

Anyway i did counter what you said, 1) you know nothing about the NDA and when you talk about it you are just speculating, 2) you have 0 experience with PA-Semi, those that have,confirmed it's all within (their) standard behavior.

As for your opinion, we heard it, you all sound polite than use cuss words when it's time for the bottom line (which betray hidden feelings).

It took 6 years to finish OS4 they say (ignoring all the hurdles of course, but this is another story) it took them 6 months to have it run from HD on the X1000.

They are going at a good pace and will deliver the product to Beta Testers this summer, and to end consumers a little later on.

That's all there is to it.

xeron 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:22:23
#95 ]
Elite Member

@koft

Just to be perfectly clear, I have no problem with you asserting your belief that the X1K is too expensive, and won't be a success. I wouldn't even have a problem with you saying that you find it unlikely that an NDA prevented A-Eon from announcing the CPU.

My problem is that you came across as saying "I know about electronics, this is clearly ####, A-Eon are playing games" as if it was objective fact.

Last edited by xeron on 22-Jun-2010 at 01:22 PM.

vidarh 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:29:00
#96 ]
Cult Member

@koft

Quote:
They don't care man, they're a PCB design company. No PCB design company is going to tell the customer that product is lame and won't sell. The "partnership" is a worthless statement.

I don't care whether there's a deep bond between the companies and they all feel connected by some higher purpose and plan to work together for the rest of their lives or if A-Eon is just any other customer to Varisys. What I care about is getting a product.

So it confuses me why you seem to care so much. If you're so sure A-Eon will fail, why spend energy on it?

Quote:
Few have ever heard of the PCB design firm and even less have heard about AOS4 or A-Eon.

That's probably true. But it is also 100% irrelevant to the message you answered. The question was whether or not there's a real partnership between A-Eon and Varisys or if the statement is just vapid PR. That Varisys is also a small, relatively unknown company doesn't improve your argument - on the contrary it makes the threshold for a partnership with a small unknown company like A-Eon more plausible.

If A-Eon had said they'd entered a partnership with some multi-billion dollar company we'd have every reason to automatically assume they were talking nonsense. With Varisys? You're free to believe it's nonsense all you want, but it's absolutely nothing more than a blind guess on your part. At best.

Quote:
It will have zero impact on sales given that died in the wool AOS4 users are scoffing at the price tag

Yeah, whatever. You know, we still have people hanging around here that have come back to the Amiga community *because* of the X1000 and still intend to buy one. Me for starters. We could probably argue for ages about what a realistic sales estimate is, but even if it's ridiculously low, I somehow think it *will* have impact on sales for a company that is small enough that it lists an order for 500 units from Sony on the front page of their site.

Quote:
and the first demonstration of the machine showed it running like a dog with three legs and a plastic funnel around it's neck.

Are you for real? Despite your claimed background in EE and software development, have you never run debug builds on new boards that have been extremely slow? I've ported Linux to embedded systems for example, and debug builds would frequently run at 1/10th of the speed of a release build due to all the crap we turned on (such as dumping debug statements for every block read from the flash to a serial port or console). Other causes of slowness included deliberate slowdowns in drivers to avoid triggering timing problems until we'd debugged the driver in question properly, for example.

Until you've seen the finished product, the performance you're seeing means nothing. It could be worse in the final product, and if so, yes, there'd be plenty of reason to be negative, but it could also be massively better.

Again, complaining about what was shown is at best based on a blind guess from your side.

Akiko 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:29:54
#97 ]
Cult Member

@koft

Quote:
What's worse, the hype machine from this company has been so absurd that it makes one want to vomit.

I guess it must be difficult for you and your freinds to deal with the fact that A-EON and AmigaOS are capable of drawing some interest beyond the existing community.

CD32/ FMV Module

vidarh 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:42:22
#98 ]
Cult Member

@koft

Quote:
Honestly, I'm disappointed. I really want the Amiga to succeed. I really wish the Amiga family of OS's ran the world. In a perfect world I wouldn't be writing this post on a MacBook, I'd be writing it on an Amiga. Unfortunately this new development with A-Eon and the A1X1K is a massive letdown. AOS4 is a let down. Something insanely expensive that few can afford, an OS thats probably so far beyond the times that it can never catch up.

If you want the Amiga to succeed, then find something positive to contribute instead.

What would *your* ideal, reasonably realistic, scenario be for what can be achieved today? And what can you do to get there?

For my part, I'm fiddling with a few software projects that I hope will be useful. I have my wiki where i gather developer information. I've started maintaining a great editor (FrexxEd) and work on making it portable (to OS4 and AROS at least). I intend to work on improving developer tools. I have a few things I want to contribute to AROS when I get time, and also a few projects I'd like to do on classics / OS4. I see it as a hobby, but I also hope I can spend more time under AmigaOS again as time goes by.

What do *you* need from AOS4 (or AROS or MOS, or UAE hosted AOS or whatever variation) to make it possible for you to use it on a daily basis? And can you do anything to help make it happen? Whether development work, bounties, or just giving constructive feedback and suggestions instead of complaining about what isn't going the way you like.

Any small little step in the right direction makes it more likely someone else will join in and do more. I wouldn't be back if it wasn't for the X1000 announcement, though at this point I've found the enjoyment in it again enough that even if the X1000 fails spectacularly I won't disappear - I'll just settle for a SAM instead.

Quote:
What's worse, the hype machine from this company has been so absurd that it makes one want to vomit.

I think this is colored by your disappointment. The "hype" has been mostly coming from excited potential customers, not much from A-Eon or Hyperion, whose involvement has largely been limited to the teaser site, A-Eon's new website, and a handful of messages here and there. From my point of view they've been eerily quiet where many others would've been talking up the offering mercilessly.

Maybe it will turn out that there's little basis for excitement. Maybe it will. In the meantime if it bothers you just focus your energy elsewhere...

Fransexy 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:42:36
#99 ]
Elite Member

@koft

you have a childhood trauma of any type. true?

Last edited by Fransexy on 22-Jun-2010 at 01:43 PM.

amigang 
Posted on 22-Jun-2010 13:44:39
#100 ]
Elite Member

@koft

So lets get this right your complaining about a company that has generated more interest and momentum in the Amiga world and OS4 for a long time, complain about the fact they are going to offer Amiga users an option of a high end machine and they just shouldn't give that option because it out of some people budget and reach, and complain about the fact that there no cheap alternative, Sam460 about half the price, sam440 about 1 third of the price, second hand systems about one, sixth of the price and then there the free alternative of still using a amiga like OS, with either Aros or UAE.

why are you here again?

Last edited by amigang on 22-Jun-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle