Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
terminills 
Re: The New Commodore Amiga 500x and Commodore 64x
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 13:13:20
#421 ]
AROS Core Developer

@vox

I'll take a toy over a non existent (soon to be bordering on scam)joke any day. =]

Lets put this in perspective.

C=Usa has not asked for money from anyone i.e. preorder

A-eon has asked for a 750 euro prepayment ( coupon anyone?). By wire transfer no less. You know the type of payment any legit site in the world says not to pay by. Usually this is because 95% of the time it's a scam.

Now put the juice down and see who looks like more of a scam. =]

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 15:54:34
#422 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Well what is a "bit" difference to coupon scheme (of Amiga Inc!) is that actually those guys get the board and that it is something that in the end will cost ~2000 euros.

So look like a bargain in exchange for beta testing.

So preorder is not a problem, if you get something.

Only thing we can say is that they are late, maybe it will be a full year
since summer 2010.

However, board has been publicly shown at least twice, and OS 4.1 needs time to catch up. Its clean new design of PowerPC board that generally doesn`t exist, not another replica. All characteristics but the CPU are well known, as well as final case has been shown and mouse and keyboard for it are allready on sale.

Contrary to that, CUSA specs may be subject to change, they are using 3rd party components and they have not yet even proven that they can do case design of their own. Software that they are using is existing, and seems in the end it will ship with Ubuntu only, which is something you can get now for free. There is absolutely nothing new that they offer, aside the both licence of names (Commodore and Amiga) CUSA has purchased. They don`t even have any real ties to original Commodore or Amiga people, community or hardware. Numerous times they have changed the list of OS`s they are gonna ship (originally they mentioned UAE, Windows, ChromeOS and something called COMODO that doesn`t even exist). In original announcement they are all time playing on AROS to keep something Amiga, while as you can read in my signature, they have soon dropped it because they would need to donate money (or develop) for few drivers to make it work on their integrated board.

So what`s the scam if not abusing the popular brand names to sell something that just isn`t related to that? AmigaOne X1000 is much clearer case here.

terminills 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 16:14:17
#423 ]
AROS Core Developer

@vox
Quote:

by vox on 12-Dec-2010 10:54:34

@terminills

Well what is a "bit" difference to coupon scheme (of Amiga Inc!) is that actually those guys get the board and that it is something that in the end will cost ~2000 euros.

What board they keep delaying it until it's released it's vapor and borderline a scam. I would go as far as to say from where I'm standing it looks like they ran out of money. I wouldn't be surprised if until they have enough "betatesters" there won't be a production run.

Quote:

However, board has been publicly shown at least twice, and OS 4.1 needs time to catch up. Its clean new design of PowerPC board that generally doesn`t exist, not another replica. All characteristics but the CPU are well known, as well as final case has been shown and mouse and keyboard for it are allready on sale.

Many never to be released products have been prototyped and displayed

Quote:

Contrary to that, CUSA specs may be subject to change, they are using 3rd party components and they have not yet even proven that they can do case design of their own.

Personally I have seen the C=Usa case design and it's much more involved then slapping a boing ball on a case.

Quote:

Software that they are using is existing, and seems in the end it will ship with Ubuntu only, which is something you can get now for free. There is absolutely nothing new that they offer, aside the both licence of names (Commodore and Amiga) CUSA has purchased.

Are you sure about that?

Quote:

They don`t even have any real ties to original Commodore or Amiga people, community or hardware. Numerous times they have changed the list of OS`s they are gonna ship (originally they mentioned UAE, Windows, ChromeOS and something called COMODO that doesn`t even exist). In original announcement they are all time playing on AROS to keep something Amiga, while as you can read in my signature, they have soon dropped it because they would need to donate money (or develop) for few drivers to make it work on their integrated board.

Do you have proof as to why they dropped Aros? I'm pretty sure it had a bit to do with more then just paying for driver support. ;)

Quote:

So what`s the scam if not abusing the popular brand names to sell something that just isn`t related to that? AmigaOne X1000 is much clearer case here.

I would say taking money in advance and not even giving information is clearly more scamish then simply paying for the right to use a name. but maybe that's just me =]

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

damocles 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 16:18:07
#424 ]

@vox

Quote:

I would say excepting significant money for deposits while constantly delaying release date by a brand new company would raise most people's red flag of something could be going seriously wrong. Had C=USA been accepting deposits of over $1000 for a box without a full explanation of which CPU it's going to be using and then add in delay after delay, you (and I) would be screaming, "Scammer!" from the top of our lungs.

I find those giving a pass to companies who's actions should raise serious questions from all corners yet damn C=USA for not having hardware and complete hardware disclosure six months after they signed license agreements awfully hypocritical.

vox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 16:37:10
#425 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

>>What board they keep delaying it until it's released it's vapor and borderline a scam. I >>would go as far as to say from where I'm standing it looks like they ran out of money. >>I wouldn't be surprised if until they have enough "betatesters" there won't be a >>production run.

Overreaction. It was obvious beta testing would be needed, since software side needs also adjustment. You might be right that if enough people don`t sign for betatesting final product might be questionable. In the way you would ask me for proofs, what proof of this do you have? Officially board has been shipped to beta testers and they are in partnership with Hyperion that has not delivered OS 4.1 for this board. So the "glitch" might also be from the software side. Let`s wait next year and see it.

The point is, you will not earn any fame for CUSA on attacking A-EON (it`s even very stupid strategy). One`s sins do not wash away yours (CUSA`s). I believe you should advertise your product on UAE and emulation related websites or PC general websites, not Amiga websites, since general feeling is that by realising "Commodore Amiga" (that again has nothing to do with real computers with such name) is a backstab of the small community at the time it started to develop. And yes, it comes in partnership with famous Amiga Inc (for scams and failures, like one you have mentioned and tried to play on A-Eon).

>>Personally I have seen the C=Usa case design and it's much more involved then >>slapping a boing ball on a case.

Good for you, but there is no picture of it at all, and no public realise of when it will be realised. So it`s also waporware by your standards, as well as scumm. However, like I have told you, X1000 is much harder project to develop since it`s more then new case.

The PR of CUSA was Sooo Awfull that no one could get a clue what it is or what it will be, and that`s something stupidest I have seen. Really A-EON,Acube and Hyperion look like professionals to all the mambo jumbo I have mentioned. Like what a hell is COMODO?

>>Do you have proof as to why they dropped Aros? I'm pretty sure it had a bit to do ??>>with more then just paying for driver support. ;)

Yes, there are a lot of discussion including CUSA people in AROS forums, as well as you can see my signature. AROS is free so CUSA can use it, if they just adjust it to their needs. That`s not a miracle. However AROS has been deleted from the OS pages and CUSA website lost mentioning it, except for the big original announcement. I mean, such drastic and constant changes in designs, OS list look so childish. And then just deleting the proofs, like no one would remember it.
Even the sentence "All Commodore and Amiga computers are Windows compatibile" shows how name abuse creates confusion and makes laugh anyone that really had Amiga or other Commodore computers. The real name should be Commodore USA something. Or it should be listed our computers (name of models) fully support Win7 (no wonder since they use existing components).

Generally: If you have some more knowledge, enlighten us.

And the same as with X1000: Consider wapor until realised.

Bye, bye, and it`s interesting to see Amiga type of Zealotry for non Amiga project.
Where do they have found these kind of people? (about 5-6 now)

And why at all you are writting to use here? Try AmigaInc or CUSA forums

amigang 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:02:06
#426 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

If this is a discussion about who the better company is A-Eon or Commodore USA, there is no contest, sorry C= but,

Who has supported and been involved in the last 3 major Amiga public shows?
Which company has actually shown its products in public?
Which company sponsored and help organise 25th anniversary prize competition?
Who has put his own money in to multiple bounty's?
Who has arranged lending and loaning systems to Amiga developers?

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Last edited by amigang on 12-Dec-2010 at 05:02 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:15:04
#427 ]
AROS Core Developer

@amigang

who has accepted lets say they got 100 betatesters 75,000 euros and then discontinued contact and hasn't shipped the promised products. Frankly I'm just putting it in perspective.

I'm not new here I've been on this site alone for going on 8 years.

terminills 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:28:34
#428 ]
AROS Core Developer

@vox
Quote:

And why at all you are writting to use here? Try AmigaInc or CUSA forums

I'm waiting for them to open =P

sundown 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 18:32:21
#429 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:
What board they keep delaying it until it's released it's vapor and borderline a scam. I would go as far as to say from where I'm standing it looks like they ran out of money. I wouldn't be surprised if until they have enough "betatesters" there won't be a production run.

What a load of crap, they did get 100 beta testers, maybe more. One guy had a real life money problem that came up, a-eon sent his deposit back right away. Now go tell your moobunny buddies to think up another story.

terminills 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 18:43:56
#430 ]
AROS Core Developer

@sundown

Really one guy huh? Either way I would be happy to be proven wrong. =]

I do enjoy reading moo bunny I find it rather educational. Like just the other day a certain "Amiga faithful" forgot to use his proxy(it's a shame really. I liked playing the guessing game). I was right on my first guess. =]

edit: spelling

Last edited by terminills on 12-Dec-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Last edited by terminills on 12-Dec-2010 at 06:48 PM.

vox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 19:07:28
#431 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Exactly was my point. CUSA doesn`t have any and there is no place to discuss it.
No go see the results of vote up here. It`s off topic here too, especially by majority (which means that majority here also considers these products as non Amiga related)

Especially, when you are so negative on real AmigaOS and it`s hardware.

Everyone is so evil and CUSA is revelation of goodness even to everyone it`s obvious their commodore Amiga is retro play and scumm of ex-Amigists or retro fans that might not know real situation of small existing community. CUSA will simply invest more in advertising and get more unahappy people with their non Amiga. I am waiting to see CUSA support forums, really. This is last card of famous Amiga Inc and strangest one.

Next what I am waiting to hear for them is licensing Amiga name for toasters which will be sold in Spain and Latin America.

sundown 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 19:16:06
#432 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:
Really one guy huh?

That's huge & all it takes to show that Trevor/a-eon are honest & can be trusted. I don't see any ppl who signed up complaining about the delay, only those who didn't.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 19:59:34
#433 ]

@damocles

Quote:
I find those giving a pass to companies who's actions should raise serious questions from all corners yet damn C=USA for not having hardware and complete hardware disclosure six months after they signed license agreements awfully hypocritical.

Actually the signed license agreements were just over 3 months ago.
Less if you count by the time until they arrived in the mail.

Look Guys.....3 months!!!!
Not 10 years....Not 5 years....Not even 1 year.
Hmmmm....Doesn't sound like our company does it?

3 months...90 days...less even.
That's how long it's been since we hit the go button.
You wont be waiting one year for our hardware to come out.
Not even another 6 months.
Maybe 2-4 months longer and our first product will hit the market.
So get a grip....and give us a chance....or not...I don't care.

We are as big or bigger fans of Commodore and the Amiga than you are...actually putting considerable time and money where our mouth is and taking a huge risk.
We're not sitting on our armchair criticising everything.

This community has become a whine-fest.
It's time for a change.....a big one.....and I make no apologies for it.

We actually do have a plan.....and very shortly....when our new website is launched in the coming days.....you'll know that the Amiga, under our custodianship, actually has an exciting future ahead of it.....whether you get on board or not.

I'm not expecting everyone to agree with our plans and you don't have to, but we firmly believe it is the only way to make a business out of it and bring the Commodore and Amiga brands back to mainstream awareness. An impossible mission from your standpoint, yet here we are trying, despite all the negativity.
Many of you have the viewpoint that the Amiga is dead, that it's the end of the line.
Maybe it isn't the Amiga that died.
From our perspective it's only the beginning of the adventure.
The best is yet to come.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Dec-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Dec-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Dec-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Dec-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Dec-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Dec-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 12-Dec-2010 at 08:00 PM.

terminills 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 21:06:06
#434 ]
AROS Core Developer

@vox

Quote:

Exactly was my point. CUSA doesn`t have any and there is no place to discuss it.

This one I can answer. They will have a community site soon. =]

Tomas 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 21:38:50
#435 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
What is exciting about a x86 system that runs windows and linux??
It is just x86 hardware that you slapped a Amiga logo on..
This will be of no interest to most amigans unless you somehow partner with hyperion, mos team or at least aros which is doubtful.

vox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 21:44:52
#436 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Great. Good for them.
I expect you not to be here then, trolling with your "only Amiga is CUSA Amiga"

(which in fact is not AmigaOS compatibile and is result of trademark purchase and rebranding)

vox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 21:47:15
#437 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

"We are as big or bigger fans of Commodore and the Amiga than you are...actually putting considerable time and money where our mouth is and taking a huge risk.
We're not sitting on our armchair criticising everything.

This community has become a whine-fest.
It's time for a change.....a big one.....and I make no apologies for it."

Sad words, since people here have been investing in Amiga software and hardware in last 10-20 years. So you are bigger Amigan since you have purchased the licence to make non AmigaOS related product?

Good luck.

Arko 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 21:59:59
#438 ]

@terminills @damocles

Don't call it scam before you could really proof it.
A-Eon still have their possibilities to deliver the Nemo boards, even it until the summer.

@sundown

Even the honest one could fail. If A-Eon gets problems with the rev. 2.0 Nemo board, they will have to do a rev. 3.0 board. Difficulties could lead such a project into total disaster, if they end up with a lot of bills to pay but without a viable product, A-Eon may go bankrupt without possibility paying back the deposit money. But I'm sure the beta testers knew the risks.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

vox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 22:07:46
#439 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Last edited by vox on 12-Dec-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Last edited by vox on 12-Dec-2010 at 10:09 PM.

digitex 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 22:11:55
#440 ]

@vox
Google stats for all you forum members:

amigaworld 57,700 artilcles on Google 11 years 1999-2101

aros research operating system 18,600 articles on Google 15 yrs 1995-2010

Commodore USA 2,300,000 articles on google in 200 DAYS!!!!

the end....of the beginning!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle