Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  19 mins ago
 bhabbott:  34 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 AmiKit:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  The One year from now thread!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: The One year from now thread!
Posted on 29-Sep-2011 21:35:34
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

On a positive not (run run take in your children the world is about to end):

I did use MorphOS this last year more than ever before (compared to OSX-useage) most of it can be thanked to Fab's OWB which for the 1st time in 15 or more years made browsing with "Amiga" practiclly (before it was more a case of self-punishment).

With the release of a PB version this might get even closer to 100%.

Profile     Report this post  
realize 
Posted on 30-Sep-2011 3:17:18
#62 ]

@ Thread

Why do some of you guys continually insist on this fantasy dream of an OOO port for os4?

ITS NOT HAPPENING AND NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

Havent you realized yet that NOBODY is working on it. The one guy the teacher has not had an update in years. Also, cannot program in an amiga environment. If you ask any of the real amiga coders that are left they will tell you that the port is hard enough with amiga coding skills but without completely unapproachable.

So can we lay the fantasy to rest now?

thinkchip 
Posted on 30-Sep-2011 14:33:55
#63 ]

@realize

I've converted to Open Office on my PC. I use OOWriter and OOBase. I'd love to have it on my Amiga. Maybe somebody should create a bounty for it. I would contribute.

thinkchip 
Posted on 30-Sep-2011 15:03:53
#64 ]

@amigang

A year from now I may have a new Amiga(like) computer. I've given up on the X1000. I will not pay over $2000 for a computer. Instead I'm hoping to pick up a SAM from somebody unloading it to buy an X1000.

bison 
Posted on 30-Sep-2011 16:03:11
#65 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Quote:
"History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." —Winston Churchill

OlafS25 
Posted on 30-Sep-2011 16:09:29
#66 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

it would be a huge project, too big for a person (you would propably need a team). I think the Mac-Port was done at a University (A professor and a lot of students working without payment), I do not think that there are now enough developers available (the most have their own projects or are already in bounties)

klx300r 
Posted on 30-Sep-2011 18:06:48
#67 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@amigang

A year from now I may have a new Amiga(like) computer. I've given up on the X1000. I will not pay over $2000 for a computer. Instead I'm hoping to pick up a SAM from somebody unloading it to buy an X1000.

noticed quite a few Sam systems up for sale here over the last few months

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Bugala 
Posted on 30-Sep-2011 19:24:49
#68 ]
Cult Member

Although Imostly guessed wrong, Ihave tosay i didmakesome pretty accurate guesses on some things:

Quote:

Timberwolf and OpenOffice are both in use.

Aw crap, I though timberwolf had been pretty sure guess. Well,okay, it is in use indeed, but not complete version as i meant.

Quote:

Hyperion have already announced something about their next OS version (be it 4.2 or 5.0 whatever).

yep, 4.2 they have talked if i understood correctly.

Quote:

Hollywood 5.0 with TCP/IP support is out (and maybe even with some new platform support like Linux or Iphone if Andreas so decides) and Andreas is already in his mind thinking wether he should already start programming the hollywood Webapplet.

No 5.0, no TCP/IP support, but on the other hand, we do have 4.8 with LINUX support, and while not iphone, wedo have Ipad now, which i think is close enough guess.

I doubt hes thinking the webapplet right now at all.

Quote:

X1000 have sold its first batch and have made next batch of machines too.

Sam500 is coming or already out.

Well, betatestermachiens weresoldout andnext ones coming, but what i really meant wasfirst consumer batch sold andnext one coming.

But lookee here, what is this x500? Maybe the sam500 i mentioned.

Quote:

Aros on the other hand have took a great jump forward thanks to C=USA business.

C=USA thanks to its Amiga and Commodore names have sold quite nice amount of PCs... ...and thanks to their Aros on delivery decision, there be lots of lots of people who are playing around with AROS...

...And this have also resulted in some open source and alternative looking guys to start programming something creative for AROS just for fun...

...and it have also resulted in 1 000 Sold Imicas (and that is of course only a start) since some want the real thing.

some of those want to get even more involved with Amiga or return back, and they will buy even Sams and X1000s, resulting in nice boost to their sales too.

Blased C=USA!, you failed me completely! I saw C=USA as the current best hope for amigas return, but seems not.They didnt even deliver the AROS on machine it seems (if i have understood right, i dont really follow C=USA that close)

Quote:

Natami will still be coming, like it always have, but now it will be closer than ever. And especially with all the new people interested in Amigas, Natami guys start seeing there might actually be money coming and they will actually be getting it out in a year.

well, okay, theywont see money coming due to my guess on C=USA failing, so i guess they wont make the machine in next years time either.

Quote:

Thanks to C=USA and its big number sales, Amiga Inc. is geting nice amount of money for they get some fixed price from each sold Amiga named machine (at least i hope so).

This in turn have resulted in amiga.com being up again, and Bill McEwen getting back on his feet.

amiga.com is back up, andbillmcewen in play too, but not as strong yet as i expected.

Quote:

Although he still wont be able to do much else than survive, his future is looking bright. For after the success of the C=USA, more companies realise the value of name Amiga and all thing related to Amiga and are contacting Bill McEwen to have licenses.

this might result in things like TV named Amiga that is also running with AmigaAnywhere2 (or whatever it will be) and some other mobile phone like gadgets (but not mobile phones) working with AA2 and named Amiga.

well, no AmigaAnywhere too,but wedo have Amiga TVs now, plenty of them even.

Quote:

Due to increased user base, also Amiga Future is selling more and having much more subscriptions, enough to finally have it in Color, which especially AROS guys are happy about, since quite huge proportion of the magazine nowadays will be about AROS, since thats where is happening most.

Well, no huge AROS section, and i doubt there is huge subscription base growth either, but it indeed is geting colored.

Quote:

Trevor Dickinson will have written his Retrospective 2010 article as well as he is already behind the scenes getting our XLaptop becoming reality and there to finally be Laptop that runs AOS4 (or 5 or whatever).

Trevor, you are getting our XLaptop behind the scenes ready, are you not?

Quote:

There be also loads of new users at Amigaworld.net who bought C=USA AROS machines, and there be lots of threads about "What really is Amiga" since there is great confusion amongst new AND old users about what really is Amiga and some will even claim Amiga is dead because of AROS way. That AROS just aint Amiga anymore since its running on Windows machine.

nope.

Quote:

Except for the confusion, I believe things will be somewhat well when compared to last few years.

well, in my opinion thingsare somewhat well, although wihtout confusion.

Quote:

ps. Clusteruk won the lottery twice but noticed he still didnt have enough money to buy even half of the 100 million dollar worth of stocks of Amiga inc.
[quote]

hes still trying to negotiate the price to comedown to 30 Million USD so hes double win wouldbeebough to buy Amiga Inc. for hesdemise however, all thelicenses have made amiga Incs worth 200 Million USD now.

I completely forgot the MorphOS

well, even in my slightly positive view, I believe that MorphOS is going to be the only real loser.

If they dont pull any surprise strategy or some other major surprise happen somewhere, i believe that the coming of X1000, and C=USA Aros computers are going to hit hardest on MorphOS, since theres no place for MorphOS to fill anymore except for those who already use it.

However, with lack of new basically specifically for MorphOS done machines (pegasos), with X1000 filling both the specific for Amiga machine spot and power user spot too, And OS4 having been and matured for quite some time, especially with TImberwolf coming too, and AROS machines to some extent (but not completely) filling the spot for cheap entry Amiga, MorphOS doesnt have much to offer anymore for people to switch from "official" - Amiga line, and is on its way to grave.

Unless Amiga Inc. surprises and makes MorphOS become Amigas official line (which wouldnt be impossible after AOS4 been hijacked from them), it would seem to me that the story of MorphOS is on its way to death. And year from now, it is seen as by not having grown its user base, but rather maybe even lost some.

well,at least morphos guess sticked, proapbly due to guessesspessimistic nature.

All in all I think my guesses went pretty right for guessess, except for the C=USA failing me and hence spoiling half of the guesses.

mailman2 
Posted on 1-Oct-2011 16:57:30
#69 ]

@amigang

Quote:

, I think the Aros Kickstart replacement is the biggest progress we've seen, now people can make all in one bundles with UAE, and Aros Rom which I think is pretty neat.

You forgot about the native Qt for Amiga OS.

It's the biggest change compared to last year.

AROS/WinUAE is no longer necessary to write software for the Amiga Os on the PC.

Gui was the last thing which could not be done on Win/Linux.

Many things in Amiga OS/MorphOS/AROS are just an overlay on the Linux technologies, such as datatypes for libpng / libjpeg / libtiff, font support for freetype, but still lacked something to handle the Gui.

Now, with native Qt for Amiga OS You can just delete AROS from pc disk.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle