Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 103 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  8 mins ago
 Kromjuice:  17 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Framiga:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MiniGL
      /  The big Warp3D bug-list
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
matthey 
Re: The big Warp3D bug-list
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 6:10:15
#41 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

thellier wrote:
In fact current Wazp3D for ppc got the v5 functions so latest minigl can works with it
I should have compiled the v5 functions in the 68k version too but i was too lazy to update all the Warp3D 68k "include" files (inline,fd,etc...) to make a clean & usable release ( I mean a 68k Warp3D v5 without updated "include" is useless for coders)
In fact it is not difficult but just boring :-/

W3D v5 68k support would be good for multi Amiga platform consistency and support. Not that you should be the one to provide the support :/.

Quote:

thellier wrote:
I mean Wazp3Dv50 can use hardware Mesa on Aros (It will appear on latest Aros build ) It got small display problems (due to the fact that Mesa cant render in a bitmap) the "proof of concept" is here that an Amiga-like that got Mesa can have Warp3D too.

Nice work! The AROS Mesa limitation with bitmaps seems rather short sighted.

Quote:

thellier wrote:
So having v5 support on AmigaOS 3 may allow to retro-port this up to date MiniGL
So allowing to retro port almost any Os4 game to Os3

W3D v5 68k would certainly make a MiniGL update easier.

Quote:

thellier wrote:
>I don't see the new functions being used much
In fact latest MiniGL use a lot W3D_SetTextureBlendTags() this is the function for Texture/Color shader (yes Warp3d v5 got this kind of shader)
But mostly MiniGL use it only to set "classic" TexEnv functions (w3d_modulate,etc...) that exists also in Warp3D v4 (or Wazp3D)

It looks to me like most of the new v5 functions could be ignored with some loss of visual accuracy. Most of the current 68k 3D cards can't do multi-texturing, fancy fogging or shading anyway. I'm thinking partial v5 support would be good enough until there is a 68k driver that supports v5. I could enlarge the function table so the new functions don't crash and return appropriate error messages except for W3D_ClearBuffers() which is needed if used. I can call the device driver versions of W3D_ClearDrawRegion(), W3D_ClearZBuffer() and W3D_ClearStencilBuffer() as needed to simulate W3D_ClearBuffers().

Quote:

wawa wrote:
chicken and egg, you say it. i just dont see anyone else except me trying to compile any even simple opengl application for 68k for the last two years. add to that what a noob i am. so i think there is really no demand.

Alain writes some stuff too ;). W3D 68k suffers from...

1) lack of 3D hardware
2) poor 68k compiler optimization

Perhaps the Natami will address 1) and the new version of vbcc 2). Better 68k compiler optimization (and less bugs) in vbcc might help AROS 68k too.

Last edited by matthey on 10-Sep-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 9:53:04
#42 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
W3D v5 68k support would be good for multi Amiga platform consistency and support. Not that you should be the one to provide the support :/.

I wonder, what software there exists using V5? I guess there are few OS4 titles (I have seen Crisot's demos using V5 calls) but that is pretty much about it.

If it helps porting decent OpenGL implementation to OS3 it is of course useful. But wouldnt it be easier just create new open source alternative?

Karlos 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 10:46:21
#43 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@itix

In OS4, anything at all that requires multitexturing or a stencil buffer for starters. There aren't any legacy WOS/68K applications however.

If I were to be brutally honest, I'd also suggest a new driver model for 68K/3.x with a wrapper for Warp3D's main API, because

1) Warp3D doesn't really give you much more than a basic polygon rasterizer API. Even 68K machines have access now to graphics cards that can do geometry/lighting acceleration and they are also the machines that need it the most. Even on the hardware that can't, making geometry processing part of the driver allows code to do vertex transformation for the next primitive while the chip is rasterizing the previous primitive, rather than busy polling the chip to see if it is ready to do more work.
2) Warp3D is pretty much deprecated, even on OS4.
3) It's probably quite unlikely that the official version will ever be made available for 3.x in any case.
4) A shiny new driver model could provide a much more complete OpenGL implementation to the client code with performance optimisations that simply aren't possible with an OpenGL implementation atop Warp3D as it stands,

wawa 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 11:39:25
#44 ]
Elite Member

im exactly with itix and in particular karlos about the 68k subject. warp3d or w3d wrapper should be kept for legacy backward compatibility. i do not see any urgent necessity to add w3d v5 functions to 68k version especially it would probably be non trivial to modify/hack the drivers to support these in hardware. it is cool to have it under wazp but it isnt very much usable due to its speed.

wawa 
Posted on 10-Sep-2011 12:24:13
#45 ]
Elite Member

@alain
i will try to test what you sent me, my voodoo machine is in pretty chaotic state atm, since i disassembled it to test aros on different konfigs. we are not as far as pci bridge support as yet alas, ;P.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle