Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 160 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

agami,  amigasociety

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigasociety:  36 secs ago
 agami:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  46 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 number6:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
cha05e90 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:00:47
#161 ]

@kas1e

Quote:
And do not belive to any aos4 user who say that changing of theme its "single a click". Its single click to choice, but you will not see the differences in realtime, until you reboot, or, untill you close all the windowses, and amidock

I said double-click, not single click. And, no, you don't have to close Amidock - not even for example an open Granite window - it just instantly changes the theme on Workbench. No reboot needed, no closing of AmiDock needed etc. I just changed themes from default to Atez to Zami back to default without any reboot, AmiDock closes it's dock by itself and reopens by itself after theme change. Same is true for my mentioned open Granite window. Maybe AmigaOS4.1u3 works different on a Pegasos II, as I just performed this changes on my SAM440ep.

And my dock isn't really "default" with minimum three different docks, side docks, transparency, subdocks and dockies etc.

Last edited by cha05e90 on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:00:58
#162 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
you have to close amidock on your system?

I mentioned toolmanager (predecessor to amidock), because that's how far back this issue goes. Amiga OS3.0 or earlier. Identical result. Close toolmanager and the change gets accepted.
As kas1e states, it may be because we use custom settings that others do not.
For all I know it is related to the same P96 bug that kills overlay by locking a palette.

Last edited by number6 on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:04 PM.

nikosidis 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:04:19
#163 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

Yepp. I rem.. too that Genesi or who it was sent out a hell of a lot hardware to anyone that could help the MorphOS project.

The fact today is that the market is so limited. So is Hyperion. They give developers some discount on X1000, but it will still be very expensive.

That is just the fact. Even if Firefox will be running on OS 4, it will still not be good enough for normal people. Still no stupid Flash etc.

Also the fact that AmigaOS is still PPC and have given no signal going other prosessors are quite futureless.

I was kind of happy about the news of new Netbook running AmigaOS 4, but when I think more about it, what would I use it for ?
It will be to slow for most Emulators etc.

cha05e90 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:10:32
#164 ]

@nikosidis

Quote:
They give developers some discount on X1000, but it will still be very expensive.

Yep they are - but please don't forget the AmigaBounty community effort to raise some developer systems and the fact that Trevor himself funded a bunch of SAMs and A1's (AFAIK) for interested developers. So all this was done as well - maybe not for some people especially, but nevertheless.
Quote:
AmigaOS is still PPC and have given no signal going other prosessors are quite futureless.

Please, not again. I joined the Amiga-related PPC-party rather late (2008/2009) - and even then "PPC was dead". 2005 PPC was dead. We're (AmigaOS and MorphOS) still here. Today PPC has no future. Again. Oh dear.

samo79 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:13:27
#165 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Mmm Roman, how about relaxing, read a good book, play some games on your Peg2, ehm complete the overlay in MUI MPlayer

After all our private talks, betatesting in years etc I think we are friend, we are talking many many time about this point and other related subject and you know very well what will be the final result at the end of all that discussion, you know what will be the final result ...

So imho there is no reason to waste time, just spend it in something more usefull and helpfull for the community, and aniway just to let you know again and again essentially i agree with you but you know your tone are less than productive and you will never reach what you want continuing this way ... :-/

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Antique 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:14:33
#166 ]
Cult Member

@nikosidis

What is average user anyway? None of us here really. A nomal user i think needs a web browser,music player and video player. He wants to show youtube clips and pay bills on the net and surf the web, maybe write some text in a text editor and print it. Maybe scan some images and fix them in a painting program.
Average user don't know or care about dual core/quad core, and has no idea about what ram is. As long as things work, he's happy.

Quote:

it will still not be good enough for normal people

Rose 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:16:11
#167 ]
Cult Member

@Antique &Geennaam

So what have you done for community? I Think that Kas1e haves right to bi*tch since he actually does something else than says "If you don't like it go away".

Last edited by Rose on 28-Oct-2011 at 10:17 PM.

nikosidis 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:20:44
#168 ]
Cult Member

@Antique

Yes I know. I was just thinking if AmigaOS wanted to reach out to other people than the usual ones. If for sure would be needed to make some kind of success.

Antique 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:21:02
#169 ]
Cult Member

@Rose

I havent done much really. I'm mostly a user. Even if he has done many good things doesn't mean he can call people stupid and all that. People should be equal. And behave civilized.

Antique 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:26:37
#170 ]
Cult Member

@nikosidis

The things i reffered to is taken from experience. I have a typical average joe as friend. I've helped him scan and edit pictures, first with photogenics and later with amicygnix. When i mention dual core,smp all that stuff i get from him. As long as things work he's happy. He was very happy when i switched from photogenics which crashed a lot and over to gimp. Which hasn't crashed once yet.

When i mentioned a netbook coming sometime nesxt year, he asked if it could be something for him. I told him maybe, and i said i'd let him try when i get one. If it matches hi's needs i'll fix one for him. Or else i wont force him.

nikosidis 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:29:54
#171 ]
Cult Member

@Antique

Yes, It is little over the edge to call people stupid. I think kas1e don't mean it like that, but he just feel little frustrated like most of us do about the amigaworld situation.
An OS can not live on only dying hard coders ;)

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:33:50
#172 ]
Elite Member

@Antique

Quote:

I havent done much really. I'm mostly a user. Even if he has done many good things doesn't mean he can call people stupid and all that. People should be equal. And behave civilized.

Btw, i not say that YOU are stoopid. I say : 30-50% of amiagos4 users are dumbs and non-advanced.

By this i mean that most of amigaos4 users just follow to stiker and to boing ball. They not in big interst about "real needs", they mostly just happy because anything happens in their "secta". That why i call them "dumbs". But of course not all ! The other 50-70% are adequate enough. That not the same as i point on you and say that you are stoopid.

Just for notice, i for example stupid as well. And do not fear to understand that. And i even more stoopid for the ppls who do good code, and when i annoy him "how to fix that and that", of course , they also think that i am stoopid.

But only amigaos4 users (mostly), just blindly follow to any direction. Only them write all the time "good work" for software which they even not test ! Or they even no have aos4 and machine for it, just "follow to it". What is that ? Not dumbs ? Ok , call it any other name, the result will not changes because of that.

Let's get for example about what we talk lately here with you (about ibrowse, and mui). You start to protect someone, even without understangin the problem. What should i say ? Good work ?

nikosidis 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:44:01
#173 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

You are right about many things. I agree with most you say, but even if someone say "good work" without even tested something, it does not mean that the person does something stupid. It could be for motivation to developer, it could be for people that are waiting for some important programs before buying OS, Hardware etc.

I understand that you feel a little frustrated about it, but I would rather ignore it.

Antique 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:47:03
#174 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

Ok, fair enough. But saying that people are stupid will lead to people taking it the wrong way.

I don't protect someone, if you have checked with author of program and working fine, then you should annoy the devs, but it's not too good when you annoy devs for bugs caused by author of a program. Thats what i'm trying to say. If it's not good job then don't say it. As there are seveal 3rd party programs with os4, doesn't mean hyperion can fix bugs in them. That's all.

When i get fed up/need a break, i spend some time with my other hobby.

And don't say that the only car is a Lada Niva.

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:47:56
#175 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

I do not know, maybe i really suck with my bad english, but did "dumbs" = stoopid ? For me "dumbs" (as i think before), its some lunatics with big white hats (like in cartoons, where some sit in the classroom, and have on the head heat with word "dumb" ). Did it mean stoopid ? Imho it mean something like "not know", or "not know very good".

number6 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:51:55
#176 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:
its some lunatics with big white hats (like in cartoons, where some sit in the classroom, and have on the head heat with word "dumb" ). Did it mean stoopid ? Imho it mean something like "not know", or "not know very good".

You're referring to the word "dunce" and the term "dunce cap".

Chain-Q 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:54:38
#177 ]
Cult Member

@all replying to me:
Seems it's time to update my OS4 knowledge here and there, thanks for pointing it out.

kas1e 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 22:54:53
#178 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Well that explain why there is such activite about "stoopid" word . By dumbs mean "dunce" then.

@Antique

Quote:

And don't say that the only car is a Lada Niva.

Lada suck hard. Almost no one in russia have russian car (that funny, yep), only those ones who just need something very cheap, just to do some work. Goverment still trying to "we make a car" slogan, but its the same as amigaos :)))

jas_mc 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 23:16:25
#179 ]

@amigadave

"Please don't pollute this thread with your opinions about what a 'Real' Amiga is, or is not. It is not relevant to my questions."

But that *is* a factor for some people, and affects their preference for AmigaOS, so it sort of is relevant. Rightly or wrongly, some people get a cosy feeling from boing balls and the word "AmigaOS" that they just don't get from butterflies and "MorphOS". I think there are more tactful ways of expressing that then zealously denouncing AROS or MorphOS but the heart wants what the heart wants, and brand loyalty helps to explain the trend you've noticed.

Let me try to explain how I feel in a less zealous way. I have very fond memories of my childhood Amiga but never really used the Workbench. I didn't just play games - I did animations in Deluxe Paint and made games in SEUCK - but they booted from floppy. Workbench was a novelty that I loaded occasionally so I could make the robot voice say stuff.

So AROS and MorphOS don't appeal to me because I can't really play with them and think, "Ah, *this* feels like a real Amigan operating system!" - 'cos I never spent much time in the OS anyway.

Fast forward a few years and I'm not a fussy computer user. It's not like I've been missing Workbench. I barely remember it. I've had a lot of fun being productive in Windows, however bad it's meant to be, and I love using Linux. And I have to keep using them 'cos I can't do all of my computing tasks in *any* of the Amiga OSes.

So the *only* reason for me to persevere with *any* of the Amigan OSes is if one happens to appeal to my sentimental side. AmigaOS 4.1 does that - partly because of the branding, partly because of the boing balls, partly because of the more official-seeming link to the past, and partly because I have warmed to ACube and AEon and am rooting for them to succeed, even if it's only in a modest way. I'm not fussed if MorphOS is better than AmigaOS in some ways - and I know that is is - 'cos if that was my main concern I wouldn't look twice at either. We're well into sentimental land here.

Also, I'm sure that the blue and red trolls are as bad as each other, but there's a natural back and forth to that, and I found these forums at a moment in time when the blue trolls were being more vocal. So, I had a bad (unfair) first impression of MorphOS that is hard for me to shake.

That's my experience of NG Amiga. Do I think it's the one true path? No... but neither do I feel bad for having a strong personal preference. AmigaOS is the only one that feels like Amiga *to me*, for purely sentimental reasons. That's why I'm not a MorphOS user, but it's not a insult to MorphOS. It's just personal choice

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 23:53:49
#180 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kas1e

Quote:

Well that explain why there is such activite about "stoopid" word . By dumbs mean "dunce" then.

Dunce is just as if not more offensive than stupid, best to avoid calling any either.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle