Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  7 mins ago
 matthey:  16 mins ago
 Matt3k:  23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  34 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiwest 2012
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: Amiwest 2012
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 2:03:19
#441 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:

Yeah, it's sad that everyone has to suffer because a few people abuse their freedom of speech by "sniping" things that they aren't even interested in.

What is more interesting is why these few people choose to snipe OSes they aren't really interested in, rather than talking positively about the OSes that they *are* interested in. Presumably they have nothing positive to talk about, and so instead feel they have to trash the "competition" . Never mind that the real competition is Windows/Mac/Linux/etc, and instead we should be working to have more & better apps for all Amiga-like OSes.

LOL: "Abuse their Freedom Of Speech" !!!

Since when were you put in charge of deciding other peoples choices and opinions are an abuse of "freedom of speech", looks like you've got a mighty high opinion of yourself there...

If you want to rattle your wallies about "sniping" here I suggest you start on your own doorstep first (OS4 supporters) more specifically the ones whom are forever "sniping" about other peoples choices that "they aren't really interested in" which is most likely because "presumably they have nothing positive to talk about"...

You go one there about people "Sniping" and yet fail to comprehend that with that very post it just comes across as even more "Sniping", so why not just accept that we all have different opinions & views on all things Amiga and just because someone comments on something and you don't like what they have to say (whether they use it or not) then it's neither "sniping" nor laughably somehow an "Abuse of their freedom of speech"...

Words like pot, kettle, black somehow spring to mind when reading your post here...

Ever stop to consider that posts like yours are what keeps post like this coming, it's all nothing more than peoples individual views and opinions, to which the solution is very, very simple...

If you don't like what someone says ignore it, after all it has no affect on you or what you enjoy (or at least it shouldn't have unless you let it for some weird reason)...

or

If you don't like what someone says, respond to it with your opinions/ counter views but not whining about trolls, abuse of freedom of speech and all that sort of childish nonsense...

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 2:32:47
#442 ]
Elite Member

@Franko
yeah, right..
chrish: the very guy that goes sites for sites spamming his opinion about subjects that apparently do not even concern his interests (68k/aros/mos) and insists on this(!), and then constantly claims others are spoiling the game as soon as os4 is the subject in turn. and then he gets an immediate support from a moderator here (+1), whatever he would say, because "we" are playing "games". likely, because one is to coward to admit he thinks the same. good thing: "we" ve been through that in life... "we" can understand.

aperezbios 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 3:49:12
#443 ]

Quote:

wawa wrote:
edit: wold love to see jason talk, is it recorded anywhere to see?

@wawa

It was recorded by at least one attendee, Robert, however he was recording to MiniDV, and I noticed him changing tapes midway through the stream. Makes me wish I had recorded it, although I didn't have a tripod.

marko 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 4:15:07
#444 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@thread

Any videos up somewhere yet?

BTW, I did see snips on the live feed, but not full presentations.

Last edited by marko on 22-Oct-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Last edited by marko on 22-Oct-2012 at 04:22 AM.

m4rko.com/AMIGA

wawa 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 4:40:42
#445 ]
Elite Member

@aperezbios
thanks, ill wait. sent you a pm btw.

agami 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 4:52:14
#446 ]

Will you all please stop fighting?! You're making the children cry

I just find it all fascinating; The camps, the bitchiness, the attackers, the apologists, the self-appointed, and the self-righteous.

Like @Franko said, we all have our own views and opinions, and in a public forum we have a right to express those. There is no right or wrong.

Also, a double thumbs-up to the über optimists in the crowd who can see a positive in the worst of situations. Hyperion could come out a state "Over the past year we literally did crap all, and we plan to do crap all for the next 12 months", and these guys would still feel good because "at least they have a plan".

Frogs in a pot of water being brought to boiling point springs to mind.

Spectre660 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 11:58:40
#447 ]
Elite Member

@agami

I did not expect AmigOS4.2 to be released by the end of 2012.
But as I use 2 NG computers with Radeon HD cards and the new RadeonHD 2D driver the Warp3D 3D Driver announcement from A-EON is very good news to me.Also their method of moving things along by engaging Hyperion and others is very positive.

Quote:

agami wrote:
Will you all please stop fighting?! You're making the children cry

Also, a double thumbs-up to the über optimists in the crowd who can see a positive in the worst of situations. Hyperion could come out a state "Over the past year we literally did crap all, and we plan to do crap all for the next 12 months", and these guys would still feel good because "at least they have a plan".

Frogs in a pot of water being brought to boiling point springs to mind.

Comi 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 21:09:54
#448 ]
Cult Member

Any video yet, like last year?

eliyahu 
Posted on 22-Oct-2012 21:17:38
#449 ]

@Comi

the videos are typically produced by robert bernardo -- and he needs time to, you know, actually drive home first.

first videos will probably be in a few weeks.

-- eliyahu

amigasociety 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 0:43:03
#450 ]
Cult Member

Had a great time at Amiwest this year.

Thanks to all that put on the show, all the folks that attended, and all the new friends that made this year super special.

Looking forward to Amiwest 2013!

TJ

ggw 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 4:51:40
#451 ]

@amigasociety

Maybe next year. During this one (so far) I've already plunked down $3300 (in total) for my X1000, $3600 to my son so they wouldn't toss him out of his rented 1/2 duplex, $3400 for a replacement roof on our humble abode, sigh...

I'll try to convince my SO that we should visit relatives just south of SF, and I could carve out 3 days at AmiWest as part of the whole package! Sounds like a plan to shoot for.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm too lazy at the moment to go look up who was selling those glass etched boing ball thingies. It *looks* like it was small enough to put into a beer mug. Any other uses you can thing of for it? Was there a proposed pedistal for it?

ggw

Last edited by ggw on 23-Oct-2012 at 04:53 AM.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 6:14:56
#452 ]
Elite Member

@amigasociety

Quote:

amigasociety wrote:
Had a great time at Amiwest this year.

Thanks to all that put on the show, all the folks that attended, and all the new friends that made this year super special.

Looking forward to Amiwest 2013!

TJ

Coming back at you! Same here!

Sam

Moxee 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 20:23:04
#453 ]
Team Member

@wawa

Quote:

Quote:

Of course I make my own conclusions. I just chose not to play those childish games.

so if you openly said something critical in here you would consider yourself playing games?

No.

Quote:

and keeping it to yourself is serious and grown up?

No.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was just saying that I am not going to take part in these "my wang is bigger than your wang" type of discussions. They are not the solution.

I've read some very good posts by you in the past. Let's have more of them.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

terminills 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 20:32:19
#454 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Moxee

my wang is bigger than your wang. :D

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Moxee 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 20:34:25
#455 ]
Team Member

@thread

Quote:

and then he gets an immediate support from a moderator here (+1), whatever he would say, because "we" are playing "games". likely, because one is to coward to admit he thinks the same. good thing: "we" ve been through that in life... "we" can understand.

Says he who did not even read the post before it was edited. You have no clue to what I was referring to. Simply amazing.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 21:15:01
#456 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:
"my wang is bigger than your wang"

its not about my wang. i have nothing to show off here, even if perhaps others have. im most of the time just an original amiga (68k hardware) user, former os4 user and occasional aros x86 user (or rather tester) even if my main interest is aros68k for now. so whatever stick i have falls shorter than anything others can wave around.
if it looks like im playing games because i admit my current sentiment for aros and skepticism towards os4, then it is a result of my observations about the management of said entities, community and customers treatment and so on. which was completely confirmed so far also in what happened on amiwest this year.

and what concerns chrish, given my experience with him i prefer not to know what the post originally was like. (likely i will get few more abuse reports for telling this, but i start to be accustomed to it alright)..

Moxee 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 22:25:05
#457 ]
Team Member

@wawa

Quote:

Quote:

"my wang is bigger than your wang"

its not about my wang. i have nothing to show off here, even if perhaps others have. im most of the time just an original amiga (68k hardware) user, former os4 user and occasional aros x86 user (or rather tester) even if my main interest is aros68k for now. so whatever stick i have falls shorter than anything others can wave around.

You sound a lot like me as I like all of the Amiga variations. I've only seen AROS and MOS at AmiWest and I would like to have both of them running here, but with my limitations I can only use one OS at a time. As it is I have 4 towers set up in this room already. I moved from my original A500 to A2000 to A4000 to A1XE. I just got my A1X1000 a few weeks ago.

You mention "former os4 user", what happened to change that?

Quote:

if it looks like im playing games because i admit my current sentiment for aros and skepticism towards os4, then it is a result of my observations about the management of said entities, community and customers treatment and so on. which was completely confirmed so far also in what happened on amiwest this year.

Games was a poor choice of words, but you are not alone. I was disappointed too in regards to the netbook not being demonstrated last weekend. After the announcement last year that a netbook should be out by mid summer 2012 I was really banking on that. I had convinced myself that they would be waving it in the air for all to see at the banquet. I've lived a long time and I've had a lot of disappointments in my time so when the netbook was a no show I just accepted it. I thought they had given up, but now I know they are still planning on it. Everything in it's time I guess.

I've also come to grips with the realization that with the time I have left I may never live to see the Amiga become a modern machine capable to run all that is thrown at it. I also long to see our group come back together and work as one. If I suddenly became a multimillionaire my main goal would be to buy up all the rights and bring us back into one house under dedicated funding.

Quote:

and what concerns chrish, given my experience with him i prefer not to know what the post originally was like. (likely i will get few more abuse reports for telling this, but i start to be accustomed to it alright)..

Not from me you won't. I don't moderate in a thread which I am participating in. That is not a good practice and I think all the moderators feel likewise. Actually, I am surprising myself by even posting as many posts as I have in this thread. I usually don't get involved in a thread unless it is one I've started. My threads are mostly about asking for help for some software I can't get to work correctly. I am not the guru which most of you folks are.

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 22:36:04
#458 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

"I've also come to grips with the realization that with the time I have left I may never live to see the Amiga become a modern machine capable to run all that is thrown at it"

I would not be that pessimistic. Or better it depends on your definition of "Amiga". If you define it as a system running "AmigaOS" from Hyperion that might be true, if you are open for the alternatives then it could become reality in the future. Aros has already 64bit versions and work is going on. So do not give up .

Moxee 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 22:59:04
#459 ]
Team Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

I would not be that pessimistic. Or better it depends on your definition of "Amiga". If you define it as a system running "AmigaOS" from Hyperion that might be true,

Yes, this is what I was referring to. I suppose funding has to be the main reason.

Quote:

if you are open for the alternatives then it could become reality in the future. Aros has already 64bit versions and work is going on. So do not give up .

Oh, that is right! All I have for spare x86 hardware is an old Sony Pentium 2 and an old Compaq Pentium 3 lying about. I don't suppose either one of them would be much good for running the latest Aros?

Say, are we suppose to call it Aros or AROS as I am use to doing.

Got to leave now and go outside to pick up, drain, and store my garden hoses. It is getting cold here now.

wawa 
Posted on 23-Oct-2012 23:09:26
#460 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:
You mention "former os4 user", what happened to change that?

you must be joking? look around..

Quote:
I was disappointed too in regards to the netbook not being demonstrated last weekend. After the announcement last year that a netbook should be out by mid summer 2012 I was really banking on that. I had convinced myself that they would be waving it in the air for all to see at the banquet. I've lived a long time and I've had a lot of disappointments in my time so when the netbook was a no show I just accepted it.

do i hear resignation out of it? why accept disappointments? id just move to something more satisfying. for instance to something where you can effectively help, or get involved (unregarded skills) without being nailed on it. not just having eternally to wait and hope and get disappointed in the end.

what concerns netbook (and other long advertised items that have been silently buried while none seems been watching):
1. announcing stuff is alright even if you better keep to your announcements. but there has been so much precedences in this community that apparently there is no need to keep your word. in the big picture you will not be blamed anyway, because its become normal.
2. if this (or other) project stalled, been delayed or abandoned, there was enough time and opportunity to communicate this on forums. apparently the involved read these forums and have their own in order to maintain support, so not straightening peoples expectations in time can only be interpreted as an attempt to fool the public. there was enough calls for information, that all have been ignored.
3. in the end as the last and long expected opportunity to share honest info passes by, the demands for clarifications are met with just further "its progressing, but no comment" attitude, which leads some anger but generally to further assumptions in favor of the project. leading to even more stagnation, as there is nothing particular anybody can hold on to, only vague hints. how, just how, does it apply in technical world, to hold on to vague hints instead to actual data. how can this stimulate progress, create "momentum", encourage cooperation? based on what?

Quote:
Not from me

there is enough others but thanks, ive never thought you were one of them.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle