Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 175 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  50 mins ago
 Rob:  50 mins ago
 A1200:  57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 1 min ago
 matthey:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 amigagr:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  AmiUpdate crashes !!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spectre660 
Re: AmiUpdate crashes !!!
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 0:33:04
#61 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Thing did not go so well for some of us.
For some reason going from 2.31 to 2.32 caused 2.32 to be offerd as an update on
the reboot each time.

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
@thread

I've been using AmiUpdate 2.24 up to an hour ago. I just ran the updater and it told of v2.32 (8-Jan-2013). It downloaded and updated itself just fine. I rebooted and then ran v2.32 to get and install a bunch of system updates.

Everything installed and runs fine. What's the beef?

Profile     Report this post  
Moxee 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 3:16:20
#62 ]
Team Member

@Spectre660

Quote:

Thing did not go so well for some of us.
For some reason going from 2.31 to 2.32 caused 2.32 to be offered as an update on
the reboot each time.

I read that someone complained that the installer was broken. It worked fine for me when installing on X1000 and OS4.1 Update 6.

I never did install the bad v2.25 and went straight from v2.24 to v2.32. Is that why my install was flawless?

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

sundown 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 3:43:56
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

One focus now is how many have more then one install & did they try both. This issue doesn't affect new user updates, just AmiUpdate itself.

You should only have one AmiUpdate install in SYS:System, any other should be deleted. Any saved rollback directories can be saved to the correct install location.

AmiUpdate v2.32 plus Libs:update.library v53.11 is the correct install & works.

Last edited by sundown on 15-Jan-2013 at 03:46 AM.

ggw 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 5:06:47
#64 ]

@Sundown

I have an X1000 with Update 6. AmiUpdate would not install. It would act like it did, but then the same old rotten Amiupdate was still there. The au.log said all went great. The log didn't say exactly WHERE the new version went and no evidence was left behind. I sure couldn't find it anywhere.

Some back story:
Until about a month ago I had AmiUpdate over in Work2:AmiUpdate. But with all the noise about the 2.27 (or which ever) I was given to understand that only the Sys:Utilities/AmiUpdate should exist, I deleted everything I knew how to delete, namely the directory over at Work2:AmiUpdate. I have been starting Amiupdate by clicking on the dock AmiUpate since then. I thought that surely started up the one in Sys: so AppDir would be happy.

So last weekend I downloaded the AmiUpdate stuff and followed your directions about what went where. Each time, I checked the old version against the new version before doing the copy. Every item was old, implying that the earlier "self update" totally didn't work.

Well, it works now. So thanks for being clear about what went where. I didn't really want to wade through the install script regardless of how simple it might have been (I didn't look).

George Wyche

Last edited by ggw on 15-Jan-2013 at 05:08 AM.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 5:16:50
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:
It worked fine for me when installing on X1000 and OS4.1 Update 6.

Which Update 6? (Since the new update system doesn't give us a baseline anynmore). Was this Update 6 base or Update 6 with all updates downloaded from AmitUpdate [2.2]?

As stated, I found the new 2.32 crashes on Uodate 6 base. Works fine on Update 6 full.

Quote:
Is that why my install was flawless?

Depends. In Update 6 v2.22 was included which is lesser than v2.24 AFAICT.

Perhaps the X1000 kernel or something doesn't have the same bugs. Or different ones. I need to test as well. I found it crashed on my A1 and a Sam. I have a clean Update 5 install on my A1 I should test it on.

Last edited by Hypex on 15-Jan-2013 at 02:03 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 7:11:41
#66 ]
Elite Member

In case someone needs the info:
For me u6 installation required that AmiUpdate is not running.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Moxee 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 20:47:10
#67 ]
Team Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Quote:

It worked fine for me when installing on X1000 and OS4.1 Update 6.

Which Update 6? (Since the new update system doesn't give us a baseline anymore). Was this Update 6 base or Update 6 with all updates downloaded from AmiUpdate [2.2]?

As stated, I found the new 2.32 crashes on Update 6 base. Works fine on Update 6 full.

That is a good question which I had not thought of. I'll answer that as best I can.
- It was not Update 6 Base
- It was not Update 6 Full either

I was using AmiUpdate v2.24 and was updating about once a week. Then I read about the mess with AmiUpdate v2.25. I continued to use v2.24 and installed a couple more system updates, but then stopped when I decided to wait until the mess with AmiUpdate v2.25 was sorted out. I've forgotten the time line now, but it seems like a couple of weeks passed without using AmiUpdate. When I read in this thread that AmiUpdate v2.32 was available I decided to go for it. The results was the post I made informing that everything installed fine.

After successfully installing AmiUpdate v2.32 a day ago, I ran it and found 7-8 system updates. This is why I cannot say that I had Update 6 Full. I had some updates, but not all of them. I'd say I was probably updated to early December. I really don't remember when I stopped updating.

I hope that helps.

Quote:

Quote:

Is that why my install was flawless?

Depends. In Update 6 v2.22 was included which is lesser than v2.24 AFAICT.

What? I don't understand "AFAICT".

Quote:

Perhaps the X1000 kernel or something doesn't have the same bugs. Or different ones. I need to test as well. I found it crashed on my A1 and a Sam. I have a clean Update 5 install on my A1 I should test it on.

I also have Update 5 on my A1XE, but it is disconnected several months now because I don't have enough room for another monitor. It is sitting here in the same spot. I need another KVM switch.

Last edited by Moxee on 15-Jan-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 21:09:12
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Google is your friend

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/AFAICT

Last edited by Kicko on 15-Jan-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Moxee 
Posted on 15-Jan-2013 21:57:31
#69 ]
Team Member

@Kicko

Oh, thanks. I'd never seen that before.

I am of the older generation though. I prefer to spell things out. I am not in such an all fired hurry that I must raise my blood pressure to be quick. The younger generation should learn to slow down. They will live longer and become an old crank like me.

Hypex 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 15:14:21
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:

Interesting. So does that mean was someehere inbetween?

From your earlier post I acertain is was X1000 running Update 6. Or Update 6+.

Quote:
I continued to use v2.24 and installed a couple more system updates

Was this your installed AmiIpdate and not the system installed AmiUpdate?

I didn't know the "normal" version could update. With Update 6 there was AmiUpdate 2.22 installed in System. So did you ignore this and run your own?

Quote:
After successfully installing AmiUpdate v2.32 a day ago, I ran it and found 7-8 system updates. This is why I cannot say that I had Update 6 Full.

Okay it's possible that whatever dependence 2.32 relies on was already installed on your system prior to your upgrade to AmiUpdate 2.32 and this could be why it did not crash.

Something was changed by Update 6 base that caused it to crash, as Update 5 was fine. And later it was fixed. But no one seems to know what. A candidate is CopyStore but AFAIK (sorry) nothing but AmiUpdate would update that program. There is also the seperate AmiUpdate installer crash.

Quote:
I also have Update 5 on my A1XE

If my tests are anything to go by I believe you can install v2.32 on it or use AmiUpdate itself to download it and it will work. Now apply the Update 6 archive, cold reboot and the 2.32 AmiUpdate will crash. Just my experience.

Last edited by Hypex on 16-Jan-2013 at 03:17 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 16:35:22
#71 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

wouldnt it be better to release updates in form of full system rather than demanding of user tu update of update of update? the user is likely to get confused soon. we make mistakes and it is even more difficult to trace if the process becomes complex itself.

according to my experience downloading aros (68k) nightlies in form of system iso is most dependable. i just copy it over my system drive. the customizations as user startup, thir party soft or libraries or the env variables stay untouched of course not being part of iso and i can easily test the updated version of system while sticking to the very same environment and settings.

klx300r 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 18:33:18
#72 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
@Kicko

..I am of the older generation though. I prefer to spell things out. I am not in such an all fired hurry that I must raise my blood pressure to be quick. The younger generation should learn to slow down. They will live longer and become an old crank like me.

ah c'mon Moxee 65 is the new 45 nowadays

btw, 2.32 worked fine for me on my X1000

Last edited by klx300r on 16-Jan-2013 at 06:34 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

sundown 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 19:29:01
#73 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
wouldnt it be better to release updates in form of full system rather than demanding of user tu update of update of update? the user is likely to get confused soon. we make mistakes and it is even more difficult to trace if the process becomes complex itself.

There are 2 problems with any update system.

#1-Write the install proccess so that everyone understands how to do it.
#2-No one bothers to read the install notes....

The beauty of AmiUpdate is the ability to install a very small update & if it causes a problem, just roll back the old files.

This new update system frees up developer time, instead of spending a month putting together an update archive & testing it.

Kicko 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 20:32:05
#74 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

No way i wait forever for bigger updates when i can get smaller fixes now and then. Its easier also for developers of 3rd party apps to not have to wait forever until something gets fixed in os4 system that doesnt work good with their apps. Like for example OWB for os4 that needed some mui stuff updated.

Its the best thing that happened. I had problems too with both buggy versions of amiupdate and other 3rd party apps. I used rollback and in some cases let it download without installing so i could do it manually. There is a prefs so user can choose.

Last edited by Kicko on 16-Jan-2013 at 08:36 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 20:54:09
#75 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Kicko wrote:
@wawa

No way i wait forever for bigger updates when i can get smaller fixes now and then. ...

Its the best thing that happened. I had problems too with both buggy versions of amiupdate and other 3rd party apps. I used rollback and in some cases let it download without installing so i could do it manually. There is a prefs so user can choose.

+1, AmiUpdate rocked before and even moreso now that it's an official part of OS4.x

Rigo !

Last edited by klx300r on 16-Jan-2013 at 08:54 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Moxee 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 21:25:41
#76 ]
Team Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting. So does that mean was somewhere inbetween?

Yes, if I am understanding what you mean by Update 6 Base and Update 6 Full.
Update 6 Base = original archive
Update 6 Full = original archive plus system updates as of the date of installation of Update 6
Actually, I never read that there was an Update 6 Base and an Update 6 Full.

Quote:

From your earlier post I acertain is was X1000 running Update 6. Or Update 6+.

Yes, I was running OS4.1 Update 6 on my X1000 with some of the system updates installed by whatever version of AmiUpdate came with OS4.1 Update 6. I don't remember which version of AmiUpdate came with OS4.1 Update 6. I believe you said Update 6 came with AmiUpdate v2.22. Whatever version it was I used it to update my system files and eventually update to AmiUpdate v2.24. Then I used v2.24 to update a couple of more system files until I stopped to wait out the mess of AmiUpdate v.2.25.

Quote:

Quote:

I continued to use v2.24 and installed a couple more system updates

Was this your installed AmiUpdate and not the system installed AmiUpdate?

I used the OS4.1 Update 6 installation of AmiUpdate. Whichever version that was.

Quote:

I didn't know the "normal" version could update. With Update 6 there was AmiUpdate 2.22 installed in System. So did you ignore this and run your own?

I guess I was not clear in my earlier posts. After I installed OS4.1 Update 6 I then used whichever version of AmiUpdate that OS4.1 Update 6 installed. I'll take your word for it that it was AmiUpdate v2.22 because I really don't know.

Quote:

Quote:

After successfully installing AmiUpdate v2.32 a day ago, I ran it and found 7-8 system updates. This is why I cannot say that I had Update 6 Full.

Okay it's possible that whatever dependence 2.32 relies on was already installed on your system prior to your upgrade to AmiUpdate 2.32 and this could be why it did not crash.

Apparently so.

Quote:

Something was changed by Update 6 base that caused it to crash, as Update 5 was fine. And later it was fixed. But no one seems to know what. A candidate is CopyStore, but AFAIK (sorry)

Quote:

nothing but AmiUpdate would update that program. There is also the seperate AmiUpdate installer crash.

All I can say is that I followed the installation procedure. I always seem to wait a week or so after something is released, perhaps longer, to do my installations just in case there is a problem discovered. That in itself should not make my installation work and others not as long as we are both starting out equal.

Are you suspecting that they corrected an error in the archive a day later and said nothing about it?

Quote:

Quote:

I also have Update 5 on my A1XE

If my tests are anything to go by I believe you can install v2.32 on it or use AmiUpdate itself to download it and it will work. Now apply the Update 6 archive, cold reboot and the 2.32 AmiUpdate will crash. Just my experience.

That is not good. My thinking would be to install OS4.1 Update 6 first to get the correct AmiUpdate. Then follow on with the other system updates after rebooting. I don't know if that is right or wrong, just my way of thinking. When I eventually get another KVM (keyboard-video-mouse ) switch I try doing that on my A1XE.

Moxee 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 21:32:18
#77 ]
Team Member

@klx300r

Quote:

Quote:

..I am of the older generation though. I prefer to spell things out. I am not in such an all fired hurry that I must raise my blood pressure to be quick. The younger generation should learn to slow down. They will live longer and become an old crank like me.

ah c'mon Moxee 65 is the new 45 nowadays

So they claim, but I am well beyond that age. My old school chums are dropping like flies on a cold October evening. Will I be next? I don't think so. I seem to be quite healthy.

Quote:

Great! Glad to hear that.

raumfahre 
Posted on 16-Jan-2013 22:17:43
#78 ]

@Moxee
Quote:
Are you suspecting that they corrected an error in the archive a day later and said nothing about it?

This is definitely what happened.

I am finding a particular problem with lha archives and gave the AmiUpdate lha archive at http://codebench.co.uk/amiupdate_live/index.php?page=downloads
as an example in a thread at AmigaOS4@yahoogroups.com

The archive was changed from the problematical one (2.6 I think) to the current (2.32) version of AmiUpdate, on or around 13 Jan 2013.

Last edited by raumfahre on 16-Jan-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Jan-2013 14:23:37
#79 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

There used to be full update ISOs, well Update 1 was. But this is no good for a system update as they are full install ISOs. And need a formatted volume.

So far there is no full OS4.1.x ISO. If you need reinstalling it's back to Update 1 and applying 6 updates then putting it online for the rest.

So I don't mind update archives, I just wish we had one with 5 updates all included or at least a downloadable ISO of the current release.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Jan-2013 14:24:24
#80 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:

Now thems fighting words.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle