Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 102 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 dreamlandfantasy:  11 mins ago
 A1200:  58 mins ago
 klx300r:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 kinchan:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Arix Foundation?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimon69 
Re: Arix Foundation?
Posted on 12-Nov-2013 21:28:52
#141 ]

@Overflow

not the whole but a good majority of them!

This place, this technology. this people is a lost cause. Let it rot.
Am too mad now to think straight. I followed closely things and so i know the potential and the commitment of people involved on it.

I used to complain about my dying hometown in italy where people focused on their own little stuff and powerplay and let the place disintegrate slowly. I can say that as things are the Amiga world seems a perfect mirror of that small town.

From which i moved away eight years ago, maybe is time to move on even on computing world....

Profile     Report this post  
cdimauro 
Posted on 12-Nov-2013 21:36:55
#142 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@OlafS25

Yes, there are a lot of people who like Linux, but I prefer to run OS3, OS4 or MOS natively. When I want Linux, I get Linux. I use Linux quite often and I develop mapping software for Linux but when I want to play with Amigas, I play with real Amigas, not Linux boxes with Amiga window-dressing or emulation/API translation layers obscuring the Linux underneath.

MOS runs on top of Quark, so you have a micro-kernel (Exec) running on top of another micro-kernel. Not exactly as "native" as you can think.
OS4 borrows Linux/alien technology: shared objects instead of libraries, lib* instead of datatypes, multiple interfaces instead of the single interface of the classic libraries, also supports X11, and Qt is coming.

The only native / "pure" o.s. are the old Amiga o.s. 3 and AROS.

cdimauro 
Posted on 12-Nov-2013 21:38:16
#143 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
saimon69 wrote:
@all

Damn! This makes me wish not to touch anything Amiga related not even with a ten foot pole! Do you really all people there feel so ENTITLED to your technology to harm phisically or psychologically somebody that wanted to reboot it but not in the direction YOU like?

Is this a CULT with its own DOGMAS or what?

Talibans...

paolone 
Posted on 12-Nov-2013 21:49:02
#144 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

NOTE: I would NEVER post personal information about an individual here or pictures, but since ARIX is a corporation I think this is fine to post"Public" information that has been registered for the entity. (...)

Sad to say this, however your post is probably among the saddest, sickest and lowest moments in AW.net's history. The above comment is a very light excuse and does not make any sense, nor it can be considered a motivation to legitimate what you did.

(Initial delays to removal from AW.net's moderators has been a big mistake, either. I hope not to see anything similar in the future)

You posted shots of a *personal*, *private* house that happens to be also the headquarter of a newly-formed company which is, obviously, moving its first steps and - as obvious as before - it must *earn* money *first* in order to get bigger. And the fact that Google makes them available does not mean that you are entitled to forward them here: it was neither a clever nor a required move.

Had I formed a company for Icaros Desktop, would its headquarter be so much different than the ARIX one? No. It would be my home as well. What did you try to demonstrate, exactly? That the ARIX foundation does not worth our attention and our respect, since it is a little company? The longer, the better? Neither Tim, nor Dammy ever claimed anything different here. They also put their pocket where their mouth was, and contributed to the Amiwest show, even if they didn't speak because their product was not ready yet.

Have you noticed? they DIDN'T waste our time and their voice to make silly announcements or empty promises. They PROFESSIONALLY decided to posticipate everything to the day they had something concrete in their hands. How many Amiga related company did the same? People acting like you are a danger for the whole community, since they SCARE anyone willing to do something CONCRETE for this platform. Please, leave the fanatism away. We had too much of it.

BTW, every one thinking ARIX will be just another Linux distro is com-ple-te-ly wrong.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Nov-2013 22:25:58
#145 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

i think the guy didnt want anything wrong, he is just a little insensible, we all might have become like that, taking years of consumer abuse, we faced, into account. lets cool down and reconsider. perosnally im not *that much* interrested in arix, but on the other hand it seems a good and sensible approach. lets see what comes out of that..

till then: peace;)

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-Nov-2013 23:41:37
#146 ]

@paolone

Give me a break. Dramatic much? WTF Is with all this kids stuff? I linked to a picture from google maps, how does this have anything to do with kids. What the hell. Second Terminills contacted me through PM and said that isn't even his house anymore so not sure it even matters.

The whole reason I posted this, as I posted before if you actually bothered to read any of the friendly discussion/posts Terminills and I made, not just reading this random crap people posted afterwords, was I was questioning this whole need to make things seem bigger than it is.

I had no idea this was terminills place in Google Maps, who ARIX was, or even who the hell Terminills even was before this thread (actually until after that post), even though we apparently have been on this board together since 2003. I just saw this thread and as I posted earlier I was making a comment on what I saw was as a lot of hot air with (all the corporation talk). See my early posts not what other people post about me. ;) That was pretty much it.

Go actually read the thread.

My whole point again restated:
In any other community about a 25+ year old computesr/video game systems, all the projects like this that are usually going on have a term, it's called "HomeBrew".

But for some reason when you come to the Amiga community every-time there is a "homebrew" project, someone has to start a Corporation or a company, has to have a Launch date, has to have a marketing campaign, and etc etc etc.

When I first came in the thread and I posted to terminills the quotes that I was referencing ( I thought we shared a chuckle about Dammy together even) I was just basically saying, hey we know it's a few guys working out of their homes. We don't need the "We will tell you when the Corporate Website is damn well ready to tell you" type B.S. all over again. That's all.

Linking to Google Maps holy crap I honestly didn't think it was a big deal. Again I had no idea whose house it even was or if it was even just a fake address listed. Also again, I'd never even talked to terminills that I recall in the 10 years we've been on here together, it certainly wasn't personal toward him as I didn't even know who he was when I linked to big evil Google!

Last edited by AmigaHeretic on 13-Nov-2013 at 12:51 AM.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 12-Nov-2013 23:47:32
#147 ]

Aside from my commentary about the whole "You guys are taking this too serious with all the Corporate mantra" crap.

I think the idea behind the project is a great idea. I liked the idea when there was talk about QNX replacing Exec.

I like Amiga OS (in general not a specific camp) because I find it interesting to have a single user OS still in this day. I like the idea of having a simple folder for where I can drag and drop a driver and my printer works, or a new Data Type and all my old programs can now magically open this new type of file.

I like all the things we all like about using an Amiga Operating System. If we can keep the front end basically the same, but have a back end that gives us more features, from a user prospective I am all for it. Especially Linux as a core as I think it's going to be around for a while.

Edit: Clarify what I mean by what I mean by I like Amiga OS as to not offend

Last edited by AmigaHeretic on 13-Nov-2013 at 12:55 AM.

ferrels 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 2:34:41
#148 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

Quote:

Thank you for helping me to make my point more clear. None of the AROS-hosted operating systems fall into the above category. The hosted versions of AROS are Linux underneath with an API translation layer between Linux and AROS. Think UAE-on-Linux but with a little more transparency and integration. Hosted versions are very much like replacing Windows Explorer with WinUAE. I'm not interested in emulation or API translation layers. I want the real OS banging on real hardware and as you pointed out, that only happens on classics and native AROS, but others will argue that MOS and OS4 fall into the above category as well, and I would tend to agree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Linux hater. I'm just tired of people in this community trying to pass off AROS-hosted as something that it isn't. It isn't new or innovative. Linux has been around for years as have the operating systems "hosted" on it. The only difference now is that there are a couple of parties who want you to pay them cash for the hosted version which I find ludicrous in light of the fact that there are already several Linux hosted variants of AROS available now for free.

cdimauro 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 6:03:08
#149 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

I don't like hosted versions neither I like Linux (I wrote a message with several reasons in this thread). I tried AROS hosted on Windows only a couple of times, just to see if it works, because the only reason was to eventually use it for some development; but it was (and may be still is) too immature.

The only hosted thing I use is WinUAE, which is quite comfortable, and I think you know why. I'm not interested on any other hosted thing, because I already have the favorite one, if I want. And because, like you, I prefer running a real o.s. which controls everything, without mediators, if I want to try something different from my usual o.s..

But from what you said, MorphOS doesn't fit in this definition.

OS4 fits, but "thanks" to some alien implants (which I reported) primarily (exclusively) targeted to easier applications ports, IMO it has lost the feeling of the original o.s., becoming too much "unixzited".

Right now I've nothing to say about Arix. At a first look is uses Linux as a basis, but not like a usual hosted version, since it seems that can control critical/important aspects of the system. Anyway it's premature to make a final "verdict"; I wait to have more information.

cha05e90 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 8:55:23
#150 ]

@cdimauro

Quote:
Talibans...

Hm, I actually do wear a beard. So there's some truth in this...

Quote:

No, of course AmigaOS 4.x - as the only logical and technical successor - is the most pure and native one. Plus some "gold dust" like the ability to handle shared objects.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 9:10:13
#151 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

As it was often said wait till all facts are out and the product can be tested and then rant and not start with it before you know everything. A lot of people have invested lots of time in it just to bring out Linux hosted that is already available for years? Think about it. Simply wait till Sunday when the official site is online.

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 9:24:31
#152 ]
Elite Member

@all

In my view the platform is on a island or prison now, isolated from the real world. Many here seems to be happy with it, moan now and then but stay with what they have. I am not, my "dream" or "vision" (however you call it) is that Amiga becomes living again many years after the last remainders died. Living means for me new users (not only old amigans but younger people that perhaps amiga never used before) and commercial development (not only because of nostalgic reasons like what happened in recent times). For that we need a modern platform with competitive features and new ideas that make it attractive to use and to invest in. And we all agree that modern features like MP, SMP, 64bit and so on are not possible without breaking 68k compatibility. AROS now leads the way and user/developers from the existing community can join in a hopefully good future. The others who are happy with what they have can stay there, it is perfectly ok for me but please do not talk down others or try to make others looking stupid just because they do something different. All those who think that their way is the only one should think about why the community steadily lost members over the years. AROS now offers new opportunities to change this so (when you do not want to follow) at least do not insult others otherwise there would be a big split between AROS camp and the rest what I would regret because somehow we all belong together as amigans.

And regarding "true and only" and all this stuff it is not important anymore. Using "Amiga" as brand would still be helpful to a certain degree in regards of marketing but finally it has not much meaning today. Most people outside the community do not know Amiga anymore or just remember the time of commodore. I know that that is very important for many of the "AmigaOS" fans but for commercial success or failure it has no meaning. I am personal looking forward on sunday and will certainly support both ARIX and AROS in future.

I tried to make some marketing for AROS on a forum. Guess what people asked. What are the advantages of the OS and what software is available. Nobody is interested in this "true successor" or similar stuff. I do not want to harm feelings of some but we all together should try to get out of the prison we put ourself in and try to win the future instead of only looking at the past.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2013 at 09:29 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 18:03:46
#153 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@cdimauro
Quote:

No, of course AmigaOS 4.x - as the only logical and technical successor

Nothing to say about it.

Quote:
- is the most pure and native one.

But here I don't agree, and I already reported why in my previous messages. AROS is in a better position from this point of view, and right now it's the only one that even runs on the Amiga machines.

Quote:
Plus some "gold dust" like the ability to handle shared objects.

Which is something completely alien to the Amiga o.s.. The Amiga o.s. was built around the library concept, which pervaded all the platform. Amiga o.s. had absolutely no need of such "shared objects": they were added only to make it easier to port software to AmigaOS 4, because coders were too lazy to create Amiga libraries. And even library interfaces were completely alien to the genuine (single interface) library.

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 18:16:14
#154 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
it's the only one that even runs on the Amiga machines.

I thought A1200/3000/4000 are Amiga machines.

Quote:
Which is something completely alien to the Amiga o.s..

As OS3.x and AROS user only, I can´t say how "alien" these concepts really are on OS4. What is your experience? Doesn´t have OS4.1 on your computer AmigaOS feel?

OlafS25 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 18:19:13
#155 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

AROS runs on A1200/A4000. Not very good certainly and requiring RAM but it runs

Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 13-Nov-2013 at 06:19 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 18:52:02
#156 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

As OS3.x and AROS user only, I can´t say how "alien" these concepts really are on OS4. What is your experience? Doesn´t have OS4.1 on your computer AmigaOS feel?

the concept os so"shared object" on os4 is as far as ive been told by os4 users to have a static library which isnt directly linked to t5he executable, in order to be eventually updated without compiling the whole thing from the start. otherwise in contrary to the linux welt where it originates from,there is nothing "shared" about it. now, i think you know this all.. how can you even pretend to call such a half baken hack a "native" solution? cmon.

cdimauro 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 19:05:39
#157 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

If don't know your knowledge about technical stuff, like this, but I don't need a computer on which runs an o.s. to understand such things.

For the other things, I agree with Olaf and wawa.

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 19:29:49
#158 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
If don't know your knowledge about technical stuff, like this, but I don't need a computer on which runs an o.s. to understand such things.

You don´t use OS4 and still can judge, if it has "feeling of original o. s."? Wow!

cdimauro 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 19:54:11
#159 ]
Elite Member

As a developer, I can.

For a simple user, even a Workbench theme can be enough to feel the good old days...

pavlor 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 20:01:21
#160 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
As a developer, I can.

My sincerest condolences to users of your products.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle