Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 169 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  29 mins ago
 Rob:  40 mins ago
 amigakit:  50 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 21 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 sibbi:  3 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  amiwest news
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
lylehaze 
Re: amiwest news
Posted on 31-Oct-2013 20:29:10
#321 ]

@ssolie

Looks like a perfect movie for Haloween night.
Sadly, it's not in the Netflix instant Queue.

Ah Well. :)

Profile     Report this post  
RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 31-Oct-2013 23:42:55
#322 ]

@ssolie

First of all, I did my review based on what was made available to the public which is what anyone else would do. Thats how tech sites review WWDC and other tech events, when not there and they comment on what is made available to the public. I watched all the streams and if anyone would have listened I said I liked most of the segments. I thought Eldee's PPC presentation was good, I agree with alot of what he said especially about ARM. So thats that.

Second, I said I actually admire you for what you do. Good or bad, you are always front and center and for that I respect you. I have worked in too many companies where put in a position where when an announcement or something comes up that has the potential to be disasterous they pick the first poor slob they can find and put em up there. But considering, you are the face of Amiga you still go up there whether praise is slung or rotten tomatoe's. do I have to like you to respect you? No I dont, to say whether I dislike you or not I would have to get to know you. As for your actual skill, once again I have never worked with you so I have never said that you didnt know what you are doing.

Eldee, you said the man drank kitten blood. Dont knock me for calling him sleazey.

As for Trevors investment. I said that was crazy ####, not meaning to put the man down but to say he has balls. He made an investment into it when nobody else would have bothered. I have never had a problem with Trevor and when someone comes to me and wants PPC, I always refer them to A-EON because I like Trevor and he has always struck me as being professional and pleasant to work with.

From you, all the way down to Amigakit. Everyone here has a passion for what they do and for that I admire you guys. I said it in the podcast and I'll say it here, I dont expect the Amiga to become mainstream again. My hopes for you in life is that you get to have fun again and that you get away from being encumbered by legal crap and that you guys get a community thats stable, plentiful and to where YOUR ecosystem can be sustained and you guys can make enough money to where your developers can get paid and you can make it your primary business to where you can feed your families. There is nothing better in life than doing what you love to do and get paid to do it.

There you got a quick synopsis of what I said and I put it here and not on my blog ;)

So please, listen to more than 1 minute of the podcast and listen to what I have to say before you completely trash it. What I wrote about was what everyone else see's. So whats put up publically, is the perception the average person would hold.

And my wife is doing better, thanks for asking.

P.S. Sorry for sounding like a "rambling coke-head" Sinus infection, $250.00 worth of medications to get rid of the crap

eliyahu 
Posted on 31-Oct-2013 23:57:52
#323 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Eldee, you said the man drank kitten blood. Dont knock me for calling him sleazey.

that was a joke -- a satirical example of the type of absurd hyperbole certain types around here engage in.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 01-Nov-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 1:41:26
#324 ]

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:

RobertJDohnert wrote:
P.S. Sorry for sounding like a "rambling coke-head" Sinus infection, $250.00 worth of medications to get rid of the crap

Lol. Every so often you'd go slightly off microphone and ...sniff! Also I had the impression you were in a hotel room, which added a suitable ambience.

Xmas87 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 8:36:14
#325 ]

@RobertJDohnert

So that podcast was the public voice and style of the person behind the linux OS4 knock off?
It was so polished and professional, I really want to jump on his bandwagon and give him my money. ;)

Robert, you wander about ripping off names, logos and ideas, criticise the companies who own those names and logos, make a podcast where you sound like a total douche and expect not to be ridiculed! You, my man are in no position to critique anyone!

vox 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 9:54:23
#326 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Well, I do enjoy Trevors X1000 product, more under Linux, but I am glad it has made it. As well as X2000.

Sorry to hear about your health probs, hope you will understand
why universal health care is social care, not communism.

How is PC/Linux PPC64 progressing?
There is existing X1000 3.10.15 kernel

vox 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 9:56:41
#327 ]
Elite Member

@ssolie

Boing Ball teddy bear, way better then Mr. Burns

Has any updates released since AmiWest?

If so, Hyperion download section might affect the AmiUpdate
and render AmigaOS update feature dysfunctional, which is
yet another breach of end user rights.

Hope Boing Ball Teddy will do better

p.S.
Is there a video (VIMEO, Tube, something else) of Stevens AmiWest 2013 speech
or its all mystical and say-hear thing?

Last edited by vox on 01-Nov-2013 at 10:06 AM.

asymetrix 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 10:42:41
#328 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

Nice ideas, have you seen the OUYA Console ?
wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouya

Its a 99 EURO games console based on :

1.7 GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9
Nvidia Tegra 3 (T33) SoC

Developed by Julie Uhrman & Yves Béhar

Funded by Kickstarter.

If only Amiga Management could hire these devs to create a 99 EURO console based on QorIQ Processor.

These devs have the Tegra chip programming/ development knowledge. Just drivers for this GFX for AmigaOS would open a new world for us.

But we also need a complete developer kit like their game engines :

https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs

We need to tap into the Iphone/Android developer production tool chain to get developers creating new content on our systems, or at least compatible with us.

If 3 people could do all this and produced for 99 EURO, what on earth are we doing ?

amigang 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 11:04:13
#329 ]
Elite Member

@asymetrix

I have to say I'm amazed by the level of support OUYA got, it a nice idea but you can pretty much now buy a controller for your smart phone for £30 or less, hdmi out for £20 and have the same kinda of system.

I more sadden by the fact that there is one market everyone moved away from and given up so quickly on (most likely due to apple) is Netbooks.

The Acer Aspire 150 is a great little computer again you have VGA out and a controller and you can turn this into a great a little console and the extra bonus is Aros support on this is pretty dam good an because the market kinda of bottom out a bit you can pick these up from ebay for just £50 usually, a bargain if you ask me.

asymetrix 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 11:24:50
#330 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

I just found out people are using it as an emulator gaming rig !

Amiga emulator is running

http://forum.xda-developers.com/ouya/general

One can do what they want, no licence restrictions, emulate away ..

Its community driven vs SONY/Microsoft which are $$ driven.

I hope for Amiwest 2014 a device like this.

number6 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 12:38:59
#331 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Is there a video (VIMEO, Tube, something else) of Stevens AmiWest 2013 speechor its all mystical and say-hear thing?

Steve Solie's presentation is next in the queue to be edited and posted.

olegil 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 12:52:22
#332 ]
Elite Member

@asymetrix

I'm not entirely convinced an Amiga has to cost EUR99 to be a success, but I do hear you

I thought a P5020 and a P3041 design could use the same board, in which case it would have been better to make a low-cost P3041 and fit it with P5020 for the high-end than to make a high-cost P5020 only.

But Trevor does as he pleases. I can only choose between buying or not buying the result.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

damocles 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 13:17:49
#333 ]

@olegil

Quote:
m not entirely convinced an Amiga has to cost EUR99 to be a success, but I do hear you

If AmigaOS4.1 costs EUR99, does that mean the hardware will have to be free?

Comi 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 14:03:48
#334 ]
Cult Member

@number6

We heard that couple of weeks ago..
But when man..? It's 20 min presentation...Suddenly upload is a huge problem, especialy for this video (OS4)... same like last year..
I don't get it...

Is video in post production?

vox 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 15:06:00
#335 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Steve Solie's presentation is next in the queue to be edited and posted.

Quote:
Posted on 27-Oct-201

Long que ...

asymetrix 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 16:25:27
#336 ]
Cult Member

@olegil

Quote:

I'm not entirely convinced an Amiga has to cost EUR99 to be a success, but I do hear you

I disagree, but by having cheap devices I could hire developers to eg port Inkscape on Amigaoid systems, which I could afford at 100E - 300E for each developer.

Dont forget the cost of the motherboard, too many 'bells and whistles' pushes the price through the roof.

A simple motherboard similar to a reference design or developer board is all one needs.

cpu determined by price currently available. EG P3041 is 150+ USD so cannot be used. ( we are looking for extreme low end).

P3041 is not in my '100 usd or less per 1000' price point.

P1010NXN5KHA @ 36.75 USD / 1000 @ 1Ghz @1core
P2020NSN2KFC @ 64.79 USD / 1000 @ 1GHz @2core

With one of the above cpus, all we need is a mid range on board GPU for games.

We dont need the best GPU, we just need to do reasonable 3D as we need a few years to create proper game developer toolkits, tutorials etc.

Maybe even a platform independent gpu language that simulates AGA.

If we can get a 100E - 300E system its more easy to fund developer hardware systems. Give to universities to program on, Gift one to EA games company etc.

Give to a UI expert to create AmigaOS mobile UI.

Last edited by asymetrix on 01-Nov-2013 at 11:35 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 17:07:25
#337 ]
Elite Member

@asymetrix

>Dont forget the cost of the motherboard, too many 'bells and whistles' pushes the price through the roof.

Yes! For example SAM440 board has a lot more bells and whistless than x86 motherboard.

>A simple motherboard similar to a reference design or developer board is all one needs.
>P1010NXN5KHA @ 36.75 USD / 1000 @ 1Ghz @1core
>P2020NSN2KFC @ 64.79 USD / 1000 @ 1GHz @2core
>With one of the above cpus, all we need is a mid range on board GPU for games.

Servergy was going to sell P102x based board for USD199. (IIRC, it had HDMI, SATA, USB, 1Ghz, etc.
That is example what can be done even for small niche, with PPC.

But P1xxx chips are not compatible with AOS4 or MOS apps.
Hopefully T1xxx will not be much expensive. It should be doable to do similar USD199 device with it. I just would add there PCIe-external connector to enable the use of desktop RadeonHD GPU.

>We dont need the best GPU, we just need to do reasonable 3D as we need a few years to create proper game developer toolkits, tutorials etc.

RadeonHD is not too expensive. But soldering it on the motherboard rise the price I think.

>If we can get a 100E - 300E system its more easy to fund developer hardware systems.

+1 !!

It would be fun to sen AOS4 booting kits to OpenPower and power.org members

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

asymetrix 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 18:39:47
#338 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

Servergy was going to sell P102x based board for USD199. (IIRC, it had HDMI, SATA, USB, 1Ghz, etc.
That is example what can be done even for small niche, with PPC.

exactly the companies were looking for.

We dont care if AmigaOS runs on it (yet). Get a cheap hardware supply chain with onboard GPU at 100E - 300E in good volume.

We tackle AmigaOS later, focus on Linux and AROS.

Hardware is the problem, once that is solved, focus on developer tools on AROS/ Linux.

Sell those as developer systems to fund AmigaOS development, maybe then Hyperion would take interest and start a port to it.

I would love to see developer boards of AmigaOS kits going to Power.org members.

We dont have GUI RAD or game creation suits yet.

Expensive hardware has not created the software we need, we need hybrid developer tools that merge AmigaOS tools with PC/Android conversion toolchains.

Professional toolchain from a Software house eg :

http://code.zynga.com/2013/02/go-multi-platform-with-cocos2d-js/

http://code.zynga.com/2013/04/playscript-a-compiler-and-runtime-for-a-cross-platform-world/

remember commodore had its own hardware dept to stabilize fluctuations in component pricing and acquiring cheap stock /availability.

They also misled competitors, so they dont bump up price of components or lower stock according to press releases.

Coremarks

Freescale P2041 QorIQ 18620
Freescale P4080 (PPC e500mc) 37654.44
Freescale QorIQ P2020 7478.5
Freescale T4240 179763.04

Intel Core i3-330M 19547.73
Intel Core i5-520M 31081.96
Intel Core 2 Duo 7376.61

Intel Core i7-3930K CPU 150962.39

As you can see the T4240 is in same league as a Core i7 !

Last edited by asymetrix on 01-Nov-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Last edited by asymetrix on 01-Nov-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Last edited by asymetrix on 01-Nov-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 20:43:55
#339 ]

@KimmoK

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:

Did Servergy ever announce what cpu was to be used on the P-Cubed design/concept?

Last edited by Boot_WB on 01-Nov-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Last edited by Boot_WB on 01-Nov-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Daz 
Posted on 1-Nov-2013 21:35:59
#340 ]

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Did Servergy ever announce what cpu was to be used on the P-Cubed design/concept?

Not that I'm aware, but as the board connected directly to a monitor and as the P1022 has a built in display controller, that would be my guess. (e500-v2 based)

....and the P-Cubed seems to have disappeared from their website too.

Regards
Darren

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle