Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 dirkzwager:  5 mins ago
 clint:  11 mins ago
 vox:  18 mins ago
 Gunnar:  21 mins ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Copyright Infringement in OS4 SDK
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
itix 
Re: Copyright Infringement in OS4 SDK
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 8:46:23
#21 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Hyperion removed copyrighted material (headers and doc) from their SDK. It was not just a text file, it was two header files and one autodoc. And this was not the first time.

Last edited by itix on 11-Sep-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Last edited by itix on 11-Sep-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Last edited by itix on 11-Sep-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
BSzili 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 8:50:09
#22 ]

@NomadOfNorad
There are no hooks, compiled executables, compiler code (whatever that might be), or "he said, she said" here, just the header and the documentation copied over with the original copyright deliberately removed. Instead of trying to make this sound more complicated than it is, why don't you check Piru's website:
https://sintonen.fi/amigaos-sdk-copyright-infringement/

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 8:51:10
#23 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@itix

The headers is just a line of text in the source that tells the compiler "load the calls related to this command into the compiled code," right?

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 8:53:35
#24 ]
Elite Member

@itix

good to hear. Hopefully it is solved for now

itix 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 8:58:06
#25 ]
Elite Member

@NomadOfNorad

No, headers have little more than that. It is still amusing that they could have written new file from scratch and it takes only five minutes. Even for the new SDK they did not write it from the scratch, just edited the old one so it does not look like the original anymore.

That is maximal lazyness.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:19:34
#26 ]
Cult Member

Well, someone else here said something to the effect it was probably a single, lazy volunteer who simply placed the btree stuff into the SDK, which sounds like some one person in there simply didn't bother to cross all his t's and dot all his i's before inserting that bit. Then someone else comes in breathing fire and spitting nails and behaving as if the decision to include this one little blob of code-stuff came all the way from the top or something. This is not an appropriate assumption or action for that person to take! It is irresponsible Drama. Until you know the whole story of what happened at Hyperion or at MOS, don't go in guns blazing across the whole double-damned Amiga blogosphere! It might come back to bite you in the hind-quarters if it turns out the story behind it isn't what you thought it was!

**Facedesks**

BSzili 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:24:50
#27 ]

@NomadOfNorad

He did went out of his way to remove the original copyrights though. Would you say it's a "little blob of code-stuff", if the roles were reversed? :)

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:26:47
#28 ]
Elite Member

@NomadOfNorad

I have bought AmigaOS now as a member of the "opensource mafia"

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:34:48
#29 ]
Cult Member

@BSzili

If it's one guy, on his own, who cut corners like that and hoped it wouldn't get noticed, then that is an entirely different thing than if Hyperion as a company made a decision to include that bit. It sounds rather more likely it was the former, rather than the latter. And yet we have this other guy then making a big stink across multiple forums that "Hyperion stole my stuff!!!" Not very professional, I'd say. oO

On the other hand, if it was just this one guy inserting this one little blob of stuff into the SDK, then you can bet that guy is going to at least have a stern talking to by the staff at Hyperion, one that will burn his whiskers clean off, and he will richly deserve having his whiskers burned clean off. oO

But the MOS btree guy going in breathing fire and spitting nails about "Hyperion as a company stole my stuff!!!!" isn't exactly the wisest of actions either. Oo I'd say he, too, deserves to have his whiskers burned clean off via SOMEone's stern talking to.

BSzili 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:39:43
#30 ]

@NomadOfNorad

You didn't answer my question, and deliberately removing the copyright notices is not cutting corners. Not very professional indeed, since outside amigaland this would have resulted in a lawsuit :P

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:46:19
#31 ]
Cult Member

@BSzili

I'm sorry, which question? The "...if the roles were reversed" one? I'm assuming you mean, if one volunteer at MOS "borrowed" one little "blob of stuff" from one of Hyperion's packages? And then the one who wrote that bit at Hyperion went about the Amiga blogosphere blathering on how "MOS stole my stuff!!!!"?

The principle would be identical: It would still be an irresponsible act on that one Hyperion guy to ASSUME the decision came all the way from the top to include that little blob of stuff, just as it would also be an irresponsible act on the part of the one guy at MOS of assuming the decision came all the way from that top at Hyperion.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:47:21
#32 ]

What is the Intention of this thread?
Tell a lawer the loss you made by that Action and he will tell you if it makes sense to sue... if yes, go ahead... if not... go back to your earth hole and fall asleep again.

At least the Team MorphOS guys are grown up. If, than they can solve it on their own and don't need Forum trolls defending them.

Or is TRIPOS a official speakersman for Team MorphOS?

*too much blah and blub for my taste..
If someone needs Money to sue, I can lent it

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 11-Sep-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 11-Sep-2015 at 09:48 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 9:53:18
#33 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

you also miss it... the discussion and trouble is not if the request by this MorphOS developer is right or wrong but about tone and place and intention why those threads are created

BSzili 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 10:01:18
#34 ]

@OlafS25

Being an insufferable prick myself, I don't care much about tone. I also can't read minds, so instead of guessing intentions I'd stick to the actual topic of the discussion.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 10:05:37
#35 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Yup, exactly my point. The MOS dev guy was making a lot of assumptions about what happened, and making accusations based on that, when it was clearly better to handle it quietly behind the scenes.

True, maybe Hyperion from the top decided to include that MOS dev guy's IP within their (Hyperion's) SDK deliberately and knowingly without permission, but it seems more likely someone down in the trenches, on his own decided to slip this bit into his part of the SDK and hoped the staff at the top at Hyperion, and that dev at MOS, would be too busy to notice. Either way, though, that particular dev at MOS doesn't seem to have handled himself in a professional way. But then, by shaving off the copyright notices from the bits and bobs he entered, neither did that volunteer guy at Hyperion either. If this is the case, then both of these people deserve the sternest of rebukes. Full stop. :/

BSzili 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 10:14:43
#36 ]

@NomadOfNorad

In other words, in case of theft both the thief and the injured should be punished, if he decides to push charges :D

Last edited by BSzili on 11-Sep-2015 at 10:15 AM.

itix 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 10:26:52
#37 ]
Elite Member

@NomadOfNorad

It was me who found this out. In fact, I expected this and downloaded the SDK and checked the btree documentation right away. Then I notified Piru about this who took his actions and contacted Hyperion. There was a cool down period when Piru was waiting for an answer and only after that made it public at Morph.Zone. Hyperion had a chance to handle it behind the scenes but they didnt take the ball.

That is it.

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 10:27:04
#38 ]
Cult Member

@BSzili

No, I'm saying if the one OS4 dev guy broke the guidelines at Hyperion, then he should get a stern talking to by the Hyperion brass... and maybe fired. And if it was just this one rogue agent deep in the bowels of the OS4.1 dev group, then the MOS dev guy who accused Hyperion in general of ripping him off deserves to get a major rebuke from all directions.

The Hyperion dev team removed the code from the SDK. I very, very seriously doubt this is worth any kind of legal action beyond maybe sending a cease-and-desist at the absolute most... and by the sound of things, even that would be moot now anyway, since his little blob of code has been yanked from the OS4 SDK.

This is a minor skirmish between a couple ensigns on two apposing armies, it is not a cause to bring out the freaking nukes. Oo

Anyway, it's coming up on 6:30 in the freaking AM here, I shoulda been in bed ages ago. :/

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 10:33:57
#39 ]
Elite Member

@itix

that is ok...

but how do the threads on amiga.org and on this site help there? They are mostly read by average users and devs and very propably not by the responsible persons.

And I do not even mention now the personal attacks by the person who started this thread

itix 
Posted on 11-Sep-2015 10:52:25
#40 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Threads on amiga.org and here on amigaworld.net were not started by MorphOS developers.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle