Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 matthey:  10 mins ago
 NancyNash:  12 mins ago
 kolla:  23 mins ago
 agami:  42 mins ago
 Hypex:  59 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 cdimauro:  2 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion : why no OS4FE updates since 1 year ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Hyperion : why no OS4FE updates since 1 year ?
Posted on 4-Feb-2016 18:04:48
#281 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
I could repeat the long list of broken promises

And some fulfilled too. Quite an achievement in the world of Amiga.

Quote:
was exploited by people selling you sub-standard products.

There was even profit? Ben Hermans must be really good manager...

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Feb-2016 18:42:36
#282 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Ohhh nooo… I have been using my front USB ports… did know they where broken.

Rob 
Posted on 4-Feb-2016 20:08:13
#283 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I'd been using mine since day one too, blissfully unaware there was a problem. Now I'll have have to fiddle about blindly trying to plug my USB sticks in the back of the machine.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 4-Feb-2016 20:22:15
#284 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
On topic post? Where is report button!

iggy 
Posted on 4-Feb-2016 22:18:34
#285 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Hyperion has given up on Amigaworld

Look I intensely dislike the guy (Ben), but here I have some sympathy for him AND the Friedens.

Amiga fanatics are rabid and the attacks DO get tiresome.

To everyone out there bitching, what have YOU done for us recently.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 4-Feb-2016 22:42:58
#286 ]

I wonder what Vox is doing these days, is he still using OS4 machines and advertising around that OS4.2, SMP, Gallium and LibreOffice are just around the corner...

iggy 
Posted on 4-Feb-2016 23:52:21
#287 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Haven't seen you around recently either.

Don't give Vox too hard a time, he has the faith.

Varthall 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 12:58:50
#288 ]

@cgutjahr
Quote:

Quote:

i'm a X5K owner, and a tabor board owner. i didn't buy them because they're 'Amiga!!!!" i bought them because i enjoy using the platform as a hobby, and at least for me, those products are worth my money.

I never said you were not happy (you just keep saying that about me, for some reason). I said your enthusiasm for the platform was exploited by people selling you sub-standard products. If you don't mind that: good for you.

Rather that "not minding" that, I guess he "doesn't agree" with that. IMHO, if I find something to be worth the money, I would never consider my appreciation for the product to be exploited by its seller. Something can either have a good price (or cheap), or too expensive, not both.

Varthall

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 15:30:51
#289 ]
Elite Member

If there was an OS update for every post in this thread...

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 15:54:59
#290 ]
Cult Member

@Varthall

Quote:

Rather that "not minding" that, I guess he "doesn't agree" with that.

I don't think there's much room for interpretation here. The X1000's price, performance, price/performance ratio, availability and the amount of promised features that actually made it into the finished product are all sub-standard.

The answer to that is always: "but it runs OS4!" - that equals "not minding", not "not agreeing".

Quote:

IMHO, if I find something to be worth the money, I would never consider my appreciation for the product to be exploited by its seller.

Well, obviously - otherwise the vendor who tried to sell it to you would be an idiot

I'm just saying your (and eliyahu's) love for the platform is so big, you are a lot more agreeable than you'd be in any other situation. If I'd try to sell you a Windows PC (a smart phone, a refrigerator, a hi-fi system...) they way A-EON have been selling you an X1000, you probably couldn't stop laughing. And the recording of our conversation would be an instant Youtube hit.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 15:59:41
#291 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

But all problems that you point out has nothing to do with hardware, it's all fud.

Yes the audio driver came out late, yes there we are waiting for eth net driver, but guess what this drivers are available for Linux. guess what SMP work in Linux on some kernels.
guess what Linux 64bit also exist.

Yes we where promised a free version of AmigaOS4.2, but that is not a hardware issue, your MorphOS a supporter, you don't own an AmigaONE-X1000, and you don't know what your taking about.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Feb-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Feb-2016 at 04:03 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 16:23:55
#292 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
and you don't know what your taking about.

All his opinions are based on simple premise: deep hatred towards Hyperion in general and Ben Hermans in particular. Irrational, of course, but world of Amiga is not entirely sane.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 16:36:54
#293 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

But all problems that you point out has nothing to do with hardware

"price, performance, price/performance ratio, availability"

Quote:

it's all fud [...] your MorphOS a supporter

Obviously.

Quote:

Yes we where promised a free version of AmigaOS4.2, but that is not a hardware issue,

It's an issue with the vendor of the hardware. I'd never even consider purchasing something from a vendor that did something like that to me in the past and then pretended it never happened - while eliyahu, Varthall and you seem to disagree. Since we're all about as smart or as dumb as each other, the vendor is exploiting something else to make things like that work smoothly: your love for the platform. I simply object to that, you don't.

Now excuse me, I have to go and meet Bill Buck to retrieve my monthly cheque.

(edit: typos)

Last edited by cgutjahr on 05-Feb-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Varthall 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 16:40:56
#294 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:

Quote:

cgutjahr wrote:
@Varthall

[quote]
Rather that "not minding" that, I guess he "doesn't agree" with that.

I don't think there's much room for interpretation here. The X1000's price, performance, price/performance ratio, availability and the amount of promised features that actually made it into the finished product are all sub-standard.

I disagree. If you are comparing all those features against other, custom made motherboards which are made primarily to run specifically-made operating systems, you would be right. This would mean that there are other companies who have made a better job in balancing the costs, finding the best chips suppliers, deciding the most appropriate final price, marketing the product and attracting enough developers to develop the OS, given very limited resources and a very narrow market segment. I can't think of any other motherboard/OS supplier now btw to compare the X1000 with.
If you are comparing the X1000 with any other generic PC supplier, you are comparing two products which are destined to two completely different markets, and they can't be compared.

Quote:

The answer to that is always: "but it runs OS4!" - that equals "not minding", not "not agreeing".

You seem to understand that sentence with "you are right, they are all substandard, but still there's something positive about it". My interpretation is "they are not substandard, they are not comparable, this is a dedicated machine for a dedicated OS". And I agree with him.

Quote:

Quote:

IMHO, if I find something to be worth the money, I would never consider my appreciation for the product to be exploited by its seller.

Well, obviously - otherwise the vendor who tried to sell it to you would be an idiot

What do you mean? He doesn't necessarily have to know if I feel exploited by him or not. If I'd fell exploited by him, he won't have to be an idiot, he just sold a product and I agreed to pay the price he decided.

Quote:

I'm just saying your (and eliyahu's) love for the platform is so big, you are a lot more agreeable than you'd be in any other situation.

It's not "so big" IMHO. It doesn't have to be extremely big to justify it. I just like it, it is the same for you and everyone else, there are stuff that you like and stuff that you don't.
Of course I'm more agreeable. When you like something, you are more inclined to buy it against other things.

Quote:

If I'd try to sell you a Windows PC (a smart phone, a refrigerator, a hi-fi system...) they way A-EON have been selling you an X1000, you probably couldn't stop laughing. And the recording of our conversation would be an instant Youtube hit.

Depends to what they would be trying to sell me. If they would try to sell me a generic smartphone, I'd be probably laughing, as you say, since they'd be marketing the product the wrong way, i.e. they'd have a product for a specific market but they'd try to sell it to a different one. On the other hand, if they'd for example trying to sell me a smartphone with a qwerty keyboard, tilting screen, small enough to fit a pocket, with a custom OS which I know and like the most and which isn't available for any other smartphone, then I'd probably be interested.

Varthall

Last edited by Varthall on 05-Feb-2016 at 04:41 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 18:05:48
#295 ]
Cult Member

@Varthall

Quote:

made primarily to run specifically-made operating systems [...] If you are comparing the X1000 with any other generic PC supplier

The X1/5000 is a completely generic PC - standard architecture, standard slots, standard chips. The only thing setting it apart is Xena (lol). It was made by a bunch of contractors who never used AmigaOS - that's how "specifically made for AmigaOS" the X1000 is.

The vendors are artificially limiting the options available to you. Once there's no competition left that fulfills the rather arbitrary requirements ("you need to pay for driver development yourself"), it's easy to claim that nobody else can compete. And you can always point to the very small production runs if somebody starts complaining about prices or availability.

The real question is not "can you do better, given the requirements for OS4 hardware?" but: "who the hell came up with these requirements, and why didn't we fix them already?". Amigakit doesn't want to, for obvious reasons - higher prices mean higher margins, and they need as much revenue as they can get to stay afloat. And Hyperion is either unwilling or unable (probably both) to do something about it.

If Hyperion are broke or fucked up their contracts and/or relationships with external developers, why should you or eliyahu have to pay the bill for that? You shouldn't, that's what I'm saying.

But let's just leave it at that. I don't want to be the guy telling Amiga users their hardware sucks. Even if it does

Amigo1 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 21:33:36
#296 ]

@cgutjahr

Might be I got a lucky with my X1000, but all USB ports are working.
Ethernet I can't right now because I'm using WiFi anyway. If memory does not fail, I used ethernet to download updates since I definitively did not have a WiFi router at the time.
I'm happy with the machine.

I really don't understand why you are putting so much energy to tell me basically stupid for having bought an X1000.

I know I'm going to buy an X5000 too when it becomes available.

I think it would be good use of your energy if you would get in contact with hyperion or A-EON to help bring the platform forward as you apparently have good ideas and the current situation seems to really bother you and rob you of some sleep.

What is holding you back from helping to push OS 4 forward?

cgutjahr 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 21:41:41
#297 ]
Cult Member

@Amigo1

Quote:

all USB ports are working.

You're now the second person to tell me that. I wasn't sure, that's why I said "I think". It's hard to keep track of all the USB related problems, but now that I think of it it might have been the *back ports*? Something like only certain ports can be used for mouse/keyboard if you want to use the BIOS menu? I can't remember, and I honestly don't care. It's not like the X1000 would suddenly become a sensible product just because its USB ports are working.

Quote:

if you would get in contact with hyperion or A-EON

I tried to avoid wording it that clearly, because it usually upsets people - but apparently I didn't get the message across: Hyperion and A-EON are part of the problem, not the solution.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 22:02:17
#298 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
You're now the second person to tell me that.

Maybe you were confused by other AmigaOne, well the one from 13 years ago?

Quote:
It's not like the X1000 would suddenly become a sensible product just because its USB ports are working.

This is exactly, what I wrote: you are blinded by hatred. That is why you always believe the worst is true.

Quote:
Hyperion and A-EON are part of the problem, not the solution.

What solution you have in mind?

broadblues 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 22:25:40
#299 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@cgutjahr

Quote:

You're now the second person to tell me that. I wasn't sure, that's why I said "I think". It's hard to keep track of all the USB related problems, but now that I think of it it might have been the *back ports*?

Front ports work, back ports all , sorry I ran out of fingers , of them!

Quote:
Something like only certain ports can be used for mouse/keyboard if you want to use the BIOS menu?

Top two on the back are for mouse and keyboard, that such a restriction I hardly sleep at night!

kolla 
Posted on 5-Feb-2016 22:47:42
#300 ]
Elite Member

@realize

Quote:

Please DO NOT use the "two more weeks" its a morphos inside joke and very few people actually know what it really means. Stick to your lame " when its done" nonsense. (which is a pathetic catchphrase that people here think is cute).

You got it backwards - "two more weeks" was an Amiga term long before MorphOS, "when it's done" was more of an MorphOS moniker, or at least a term most often used by MorphOS developers.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle