Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
63 crawler(s) on-line.
 46 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Karlos,  AmigaPapst

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AmigaPapst:  1 min ago
 Karlos:  3 mins ago
 Marcian:  40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Cammy:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 SOFISTISOFTWARE:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  super interesting (PPC-Notebook - Acube Collaboration)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
bennymee 
Re: super interesting (PPC-Notebook - Acube Collaboration)
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 14:58:31
#121 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Maybe i did allready donate years ago, you don't now.

And there is no mention of 'AmigaOS' on their web page, like Trixie says,
It is basicly a Linux laptop... but offcourse it COULD be a great laptop for the OS4 or MorphOS.

If I would make a complain (as you call it), it is is about motivation, how motivated are they ?

There are lots of developments in the Amigascene, like the Vampire, Terrible Fire, AA3000, A1200+, A2000 spare boards, 68060 cards.
Maybe not on the same level as this laptop, but developed in spare time and most without financial backup.
I miss that motivation with this project.

Profile     Report this post  
Kronos 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 15:47:59
#122 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

"open hardware" means nothing when it based on an 0.5 decade lowend chip based on an 1.5 decades old core in a deadend ISA designed by a company that gets resold/named on bianual basis

So to quote myself:

Quote:

Or in short, was a nice idea 5 years ago, now far too little far too late.

Raffaele 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 16:36:35
#123 ]

@bennymee

Quote:

bennymee wrote:

(About donations I make it short. This is the second time I donated... I already donated for the first step of the campaign...)

@Raffaele

And there is no mention of 'AmigaOS' on their web page, like Trixie says,
It is basicly a Linux laptop... but offcourse it COULD be a great laptop for the OS4 or MorphOS.

There is nothing on their site because they aim at Open Hardware and Open Software solutions (and that is very honorable intention) and unfortunately Amiga is closed source but Amiga has been mentioned various times in the last video they put on Youtube as they had feedback of the interest of many of us Amigans who believe in their project (even there is no official interest by Amiga OS Software Houses such as MorphOS Team, Hyperion, and A-Eon) and obviously because it is impossible not mention the Amiga as actually is the only platform existing on the market still supporting PowerPC as hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhAvS52UoA8

(in Italian language)

Raffaele 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 16:45:11
#124 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@Raffaele

"open hardware" means nothing when it based on an 0.5 decade lowend chip based on an 1.5 decades old core in a deadend ISA designed by a company that gets resold/named on bianual basis

So to quote myself:

Quote:

Or in short, was a nice idea 5 years ago, now far too little far too late.

Still more modern than any existing Amiga hardware, and more expandable than 3/4 of existing Laptops (even those with Intel X86 design) as long as this PowerPC Laptop sports with expandable DDR3L memories, M.2, SATA3 and interchangeable graphic based on MXM cards, and these features allow the future laptop to look forward a long lifetime usability.

Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Feb-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 16:51:24
#125 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:

MEGA_RJ_MICAL wrote:
@AmeegaGuy

[
you're talking to a guy who proposed to enslave third world malnourished children to work on Amiga software by bribing their schools.

Keep this in your mind when you address our mutual friend Raffaele.

Warmest and Kindest Regards,
MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Wed will nourish them with:
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA PPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

https://youtu.be/CLid7YDmw6I

https://youtu.be/pTZyQfcT8tY

Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Feb-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 17:02:20
#126 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:

as long as this PowerPC Laptop sports with expandable DDR3L memories, M.2, SATA3 and interchangeable graphic based on MXM cards, and these features allow the future laptop to look forward a long lifetime usability.

With a CPU in the same performance range as the original MacbookPro or a rPI3 usability is rather limited as of today, no matter how much "current" peripherals you throw at it.

Raffaele 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 17:24:47
#127 ]

ff@Kronos

We will see.

If it has enough horsepower to play flawlessly HD streaming contents It is good enough for any actual Internet purposes...

If we discover It could manage even 4K streaming without too many framedrops (or no framedrops at all) thanks to Altivec and the MXM video-card with dedicated memory then it will be all grease
dripping from the steak...

I am curious to see if PowerPC has still some cards to show to the world of Information Technology, and the first step is to create a new hardware solutions.

Rome wasn't built in a day, dude, and about PowerPC we have still necessity to learn to walk and then learn how to run.
If results will based on AmigaOS or on OpenStack Debian 10 PPC64 Big Endian actually I do not care.

I want judge results first, and the only way to see any results is funding the project campaign.

Last edited by Raffaele on 08-Feb-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 19:08:54
#128 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

2 points:

- playing FullHD or even 4k won't happen on such a weak CPU (o.k. FullHD might just work with a light codec) this will be up to GFX-card

- apart from IBM's POWER (wich is unsuitable for different reasons) noone is doing anything worthwhile with PPC. Motorola/FreeScale/NXP/NameOfTheWeek dropped that ball almost 20years ago (hence Apple going IBM and finally Intel) and all "new" SoCs are based on cores just that old

Well gotta add a 3rd....

- outside of some ultra hardcore PPC fans this thing will have hard time competing against ARM based stuff, heck even something as low as the PineBook (and who knows what in 2022 the earliest realistic release-date) will look better to the "anything but x86"-tinkering crowd.

bennymee 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 19:48:34
#129 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Closed source AmigaOS is worse ? Aros is not the most populair Amiga compatible os, even if it has the most/fastest hardware available.

I like the concept of the laptop and the weak cpu is oke when offloading to the upgradeable gpu. but the concern is this: no progress, nothing available as we speak. And the bounty is not reached after so many months.

How fast is the T2080 cpu used in this laptop ?

Here are some benchmarks Powerpc vs intel:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=PowerMac-Intel-KBL

But this is only the IBM G5 and not the T2080 ( or even current Ryzen series)

Last edited by bennymee on 08-Feb-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Last edited by bennymee on 08-Feb-2020 at 07:50 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 8-Feb-2020 21:01:55
#130 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

Quote:

T4240 1.666 GHz using the same e6500 core scores 6.86 SpecInt2006 (single core integer benchmark), which is comparable to AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.166 GHz or later models of Pentium 4 2.4 GHz (800 MHz FSB) or 1.4 GHz Pentium M.

Core i3-5005U 2 GHz in my ultra cheap laptop scores scores probably cca 25 SpecInt2006 (not counting inflated libquantum sub-benchmark).

Raffaele 
Posted on 9-Feb-2020 0:45:36
#131 ]

@bennymee

Quote:

bennymee wrote:
@Raffaele

Closed source AmigaOS is worse ? Aros is not the most populair Amiga compatible os, even if it has the most/fastest hardware available.

AROS PPC is not very active branch at the moment, and AROS is struggling being ported to X64...

Why don't they abandon old Amiga ISO in favour of new Kernel and new ISO keeping just retrocompatibility of old Amiga Software in a Sandbox?

It is a cncept valid for AmigaOS and MophOS too... They have huge limits not running QBox as active layer of MorphOS keeping Abox just as hosted environment...

bennymee 
Posted on 9-Feb-2020 9:42:50
#132 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele

Morphos is the most active, porting to x64 is started with transparently running PPC / 68K apps. They allready have Powerbooks G4 with altivec and problably not interested in the laptop in this topic.
And as you said that the AROS PPC is not very active, this PPC notebook is basicly Linux based when it comes out in 2024 or later.

Rose 
Posted on 9-Feb-2020 14:30:31
#133 ]
Cult Member

@bennymee

Quote:

Have a look. It's faster faster than Rpi3 but get's beatten by such powerhouses as Pentium 4. Would be a close one with 4Gb Rpi4.

Zylesea 
Posted on 9-Feb-2020 17:25:28
#134 ]
Elite Member

Who cares about ppc any longer? I just bought my 6th ppc but that will bopefully be my last one!

When i rcall my ppc purchases, it's interesting to see the hopes going down and down.
The 1st (Blizzardppc) one in the mid/late 90ies I had high hopes.
The Pegsos I saw a real chance to catch up and finally deliver the CHRP promise as a real ppc pc platform (The Apple switch came in badly).
The Efika raised a little hope for getting at least a little attention in the low end market (it held quite some potential at the time, could have become something, we had interesting projects running...).
The Mac mini was a nice upgrade, but was picking just up what was left.
The Powerbook was a nice addtion (finally a laptop, yeah!), but the cpu train had left the station long before.
Now the G5 is just a last incremental last stop before eventually closing the ppc chapter.

It started with high hopes and quite sme potential. But eventually it failed. One has to realize when a horse is dead and don't ride it any longer than...TheAmiga scene is way to small to stustain such devevelopments.
The ride was nice, but it was the "wrong horse". I dont support ppc projects any longer, It's just a waste of resources.

My next MorphOS machine will be x64 based.

bennymee 
Posted on 9-Feb-2020 18:34:38
#135 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

I went the same PPC path, from many BlizzardPPC's, Powerbook's, AmigaOne's to Pegasos's.

And still hoping that someday it will be better. The Power 9 Blackbird is great, but still so much more expensive then x64. Let's face it, it is time to move on. Not only hardware wise, but software would be much easier to port. Or to create, wouldn't a browser be much easier to keep up to date ?
Let's see what Morphos can do on Ryzen next year.

But, this is a little offtopic offcourse, we talk about a PPC laptop...

Comi 
Posted on 9-Feb-2020 18:49:31
#136 ]
Cult Member

Amiga is still ppc so noting bad for Amiga in this development
ACube with Hyperion and Trevor can port OS4 someday eventualy
Trevor is donator for all Amiga related projects so this is maybe interesting for him

Most important thing in this project is:
ACube in this project cooperate with C-Media "C-Media is a global leading audio IC/software solution provider." We all know what problems new board have with audio
AEon/ACube should go in partnership with this company to make a standrad, just like with radeon cards and drivers in graphic area.

So donate please

BigD 
Posted on 10-Feb-2020 12:45:32
#137 ]
Elite Member

@Comi

Quote:
So donate please

Why? For an increased chance that the board will be prototyped for the chance it will be released in small batch quantities for Linux customers so that there is a slim chance that Hyperion / A-EON will assess it for the porting of AmigaOS?

... that's a long shot and what do we get for our money in the meantime? Warm fuzzies that we've made Linux PPC lovers a potential new laptop?

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2020 13:33:24
#138 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

About the only thing you will get is to give and expect nothing back. It's for charity. Except it won't exactly save lives. And why it wasn't put on Kickstarter or something I don't know as a lot of computer products get crowd sourced.

Rob 
Posted on 10-Feb-2020 18:02:23
#139 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Why? For an increased chance that the board will be prototyped for the chance it will be released in small batch quantities for Linux customers so that there is a slim chance that Hyperion / A-EON will assess it for the porting of AmigaOS?

The project is all open source so A-EON could arrange their own production run if they wanted.

bison 
Posted on 10-Feb-2020 18:59:31
#140 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:
The project is all open source so A-EON could arrange their own production run if they wanted.

That's a good point. The odds of this happening seem very low, but not zero, which is all we need in Amigaland.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle