Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 RobertB:  18 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 number6:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 6 mins ago
 outlawal2:  5 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A sad day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
TiredofLife 
Re: A sad day
Posted on 28-May-2017 22:22:32
#101 ]

Er if somebody want to send me a free X5000, I'll be more than happy to be a mouthpiece and take some verbal for it.

Profile     Report this post  
QuikSanz 
Posted on 29-May-2017 0:41:52
#102 ]

@iggy,

Reagan and bush had a Democrat Congress, Congress spends money. Does not excuse O'Bama from adding more debt than everyone before him combined! And who stands in the way of budget cuts now?

sundown 
Posted on 29-May-2017 3:45:31
#103 ]
Elite Member

Wow, reading this thread is like stepping in a pile of poo, cat poo, the worst kind...

fishy_fis 
Posted on 29-May-2017 6:01:00
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

"Fake piece"?

lol.

err,.... you know words and phrases have meanings right? You can't just make them up then repeat them thinking yourself clever

Well, I guess you can, but you'd be alone in your opinion.

Spectre660 
Posted on 29-May-2017 14:40:06
#105 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

The man himself described it as

Quote:
the nasty vitriol coming from the fanatical fan base in Europe.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&post_id=131947&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&showonepost=1

Quote:

sundown wrote:
Wow, reading this thread is like stepping in a pile of poo, cat poo, the worst kind...

Last edited by Spectre660 on 29-May-2017 at 02:42 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-May-2017 15:01:20
#106 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

they were called unprofessional, how can they badmouth a-eon/amigakit and so on

they certainly have good reasons why they are that annoyed and publishing it was to get rid of some frustration propably.

They could have dropped support silently but OS4 supporter are not known for, how should I call it, accept such a business decision without emotional discussions. Trust is important in business so if they are really deeply disappointed there is no way back

There are today more options anyway fortunately, X5000 and Tabor is just one of it

iggy 
Posted on 29-May-2017 15:14:21
#107 ]

@fishy_fis

Thanks fishy,
That WAS pretty silly, and by the looks of the next statement, by God I think I'm being stalked!

In any case, I let myself get diverted with political BS that has no purpose here (and possibly no real resolution anywhere).
And I've never been that impressed with Matt's company's customer service, or the weird idea that a company that wants to sell globally wants me to wait for shipments from one central location (an ocean away).

BUT, after spending some of my savings on an OWC SSD that Aaron is shipping me for one of my MorphOS systems, and arranging with him to split the cost of a upgrade heatsink/cooling fan for Mark "Bigfoot" Olsen's X5000 development system (which Mark told me is too damned loud), I'm calmer.

I'm still planning on buying a P5040 X5000, when available, even if I have to have it delivered transatlantic from Great Britain.

I didn't spend the last several years advocating this processor line, just to back off now because of a little difficulty.

And for those that aren't aware (primarily because I don't normally feel comfortable mentioning it), I've been send Mark video cards (all the way in South Africa) so that he has the hardware needed to create video drivers for MorphOS (for our existing systems, and the X5000).
Mark now has examples most of the ATI/AMD cards introduced before the GCN seies, as well as two GCN Gen 1 cards and one GCN Gen 2.
As finances permit, I'll continue to send additional cards.

You see, here's the thing, I'm doing this out of pocket, AND, as I've mentioned I BUY my hardware.
And I support legacy and NG software and hardware out of personal interest, NOT because I was recruited to sell you a line of BS.

And while I was upset the a friend couldn't get decent support from his vendor (an experience I've had myself with AmigaKit), I'm over it.
I'll support Aoron and AOTL's endeavors in the future, and where necessary I'll have to bite the bullet and buy from European sources.

BTW - If you notice, the hardware I'm planning on shipping Mark IS to support an X5000 (and COULD be used to support OS4). And it comes from AOTL. Its just not Aeon or AmigaKit hardware.
And Aaron still has memory, drives, and other hardware and software in stock.

So...my apologies to those I've offended by being too personal, EXCEPT for those dumb enough to support our President with the bad comb-over.
And, don't ever doubt where my sentiment lies (and its with Amigans, not Linux heads).

Spectre660 
Posted on 29-May-2017 15:15:32
#108 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I don't know what happened between the parties.
May times when you have a falling out legal action results though.
Sour grapes is another matter .

OlafS25 
Posted on 29-May-2017 15:23:50
#109 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

if you are doing business with someone or a company and you say you will never sell something for them anymore it sounds like a little more than some disppointment, as if you feel betrayed and even lost money because of it

but that is specualtion, we all do not know. We should simply accept their decision and not kicking back by calling them bad names. The same of course regarding Amigakit or a-eon. The majority of customers were happy, some not but that is normal. In some cases people had too high hopes regarding product and were disppointed. Finally nobody is forced to buy.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 29-May-2017 16:00:48
#110 ]

@iggy

Quote:

iggy wrote:

I didn't spend the last several years advocating this processor line, just to back off now because of a little difficulty.

"A little difficulty"?!??

Quote:
And for those that aren't aware (primarily because I don't normally feel comfortable mentioning it), I've been send Mark video cards (all the way in South Africa) so that he has the hardware needed to create video drivers for MorphOS (for our existing systems, and the X5000).

"Not comfortable"?!?? Is that why uou repeat this on every other occasion?

eliyahu 
Posted on 29-May-2017 16:16:09
#111 ]

@TRIPOS

if you're talking about embedded PowerPC, there is indeed painfully little on the horizon. NXP had claimed to be developing a next-generation core for new SoCs beyond the current T4 line, but there's been painfully little discussion about it at their recent seminars; the entire focus there appears to be ARM going forward, with their PowerPC line still sold where customers are, mainly in the automotive industry. and that's about it, really.

if you're talking about IBM POWER -- it's incredibly vibrant at the moment, with *tons* coming on that front. but there isn't a POWER-based amiga or amiga-like system out there, well, at least one of which i am aware.

-- eliyahu

tlosm 
Posted on 29-May-2017 17:05:25
#112 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Can full confirm ..
in Linux Kernel ML there are about 200 email a day and 180 of this are for optimizations for P8 and P9
same is for Qemu PPC Ml archive ... P8 and P9 made a really big difference.
Sad the IBM dont want to go to the desktop with PPC they are closing to server market... and this is a right choice because there is no a true desktop partner like was in past with apple...
No console market and no desktop market ... only server and networking for now in PPC ..

we are to small market and with "not modern os" old dev kit, no smp , no modern 3d library if we dont count the external aeon nova.... we cant be a partner for no one today.... just for rich super nerd like we are..

PS: game patches for old gen games 3 max 10mb (was ppc) ... current gen X64 ... min 4 GB and i sow 49 GB parches for one single game (eg doom).

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

iggy 
Posted on 29-May-2017 17:49:48
#113 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:
"Not comfortable"?!?? Is that why uou repeat this on every other occasion?

Because its worth noting that I'm not taking hardware (like our "sour grapes" friend), I'm donating it.

AND, we know PPCs are dead, so repetition isn't going to make you look any more clever.

BTW - before my "stalker" posts a reference to it, I've posted a brief comment on what I'm taking away from this situation this weekend on MorphZone.

It should not be taken as a slight against Aeon (which I still support), but it is a little weird (at least for a MorphOS user) as its in support of Hyperion.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12079&post_id=131953&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=0&forum=3#131953

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 29-May-2017 18:40:03
#114 ]

@iggy

So, how's your OS/2 experiance so far?

iggy 
Posted on 29-May-2017 18:57:39
#115 ]

@WolfpackN64

I think I like this.
I'm looking at an older IBM Thinkpad that Lenovo still lists OS/2 video drivers for as a base for it.
Its not particularity resource hungry.
I'm tired of waiting twiddling my thumbs while Windows goes of somewhere and does God knows what (my current i7 experience).
That, and the fact that it won't have the nerve to hold me up while its updating (which still occurs sometimes with Win10), a BIG advantage.

Thanks for the pointer.
When this was IBM OS/2 vs Windows 3.X, OS/2 definitely had advantages, and for that matter, until XP there were still some.

I really like the idea of customized isos.

Wonder if they could finally convince IBM to let them further develop it?

Last edited by iggy on 29-May-2017 at 07:05 PM.

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 29-May-2017 19:00:49
#116 ]

@iggy

They have the license from IBM (and other partners that were needed to be able to develop the system further).

They even have a roadmap on their website if you're interested.
https://www.arcanoae.com/roadmap/

Spectre660 
Posted on 29-May-2017 21:07:13
#117 ]
Elite Member

US$79.41 to ship my Cyrus motherboard etc by Fedex from the UK to the Caribbean via the USA.
US$50.45 to ship 2 200 pins SO-DIMMS by Fedex from New York to the Caribbean . (B&H Photo)

Interesting .

Last edited by Spectre660 on 29-May-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 29-May-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Last edited by Spectre660 on 29-May-2017 at 09:13 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 29-May-2017 21:22:36
#118 ]

@Spectre660

The memory shipment sounds like a royal screwing, Julian.
But Fedex is usually pretty high.

The motherboard price is actually not bad.

For you, the UK shipment worked out better, curious.

wawa 
Posted on 29-May-2017 22:01:59
#119 ]
Elite Member

cant you guys put it to rest? this whole issue is completely irrelevant, especially in the context of the current developemnts. you can very well fought it via pm. the audience is almost uanware..

iggy 
Posted on 29-May-2017 22:12:37
#120 ]

@wawa

I wasn't aware this was an example of fighting, and as far as discussing via PMs, I've already sent a message apologizing to the man.
I was just discussing shipment costs.

My attitude toward AmigaKit, isn't really a part of this, so in a weird way I'm of topic by not continuing to be confrontational.

But I AM sincerely interested in what he has to say about his X5000 system (including the shipping costs for components).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle