Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

A1200

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  23 secs ago
 pixie:  6 mins ago
 clint:  24 mins ago
 OlafS25:  32 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 jPV:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A sad day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
Signman 
Re: A sad day
Posted on 31-May-2017 14:31:39
#181 ]

@WolfpackN64

How in hell did we get on pedophiles? I'm with Wawa here, let's get on with the Hitler references now.
It usually doesn't take this long.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Posted on 31-May-2017 15:16:19
#182 ]
Elite Member

@Signman

The paedophile bit was my fault but people were attacking Aaron for running a company that runs criminal record checks for pre-employment screening. I used sex offenders as an example for why such screening might not be such a bad thing.

wawa 
Posted on 31-May-2017 15:26:35
#183 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

i think neither one nor the other have to do with the subject here. probably not even your fault. i might have misunderstood you. just the whole discussion is weird. the most sensible comments so far were probably from amigakit and kas1e.

Last edited by wawa on 31-May-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 31-May-2017 at 03:27 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 31-May-2017 17:52:26
#184 ]

@wawa

You sir, are no expert on sensible commentary.

But this HAS really deteriorated since I left last night (and it was pretty terrible then).

I still think my point is valid.

On a product that probably doesn't have much of a margin, that AmigaKit probably gets the Lion's share of, no one really has much impetus to stock AmigaOnes except as a draw item for other sale items.

And I don't think Trevor is making any money, or the dealers, and I doubt Matt is making much.

So we probably ought to appreciate everyone's efforts.

The only people that may be getting properly paid are with the design firm, Varisys.
And that's as it should be, since they wouldn't be doing the work otherwise (and Paul Gentle's people have mad skills).

SO, either way, hurt feelings all around or not, life goes on.

number6 
Posted on 31-May-2017 23:52:58
#185 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r & @rob

You both mentioned the donation program, but since I am not sure everyone is aware of this and how it might affect our developers...

This is what has been suspended

Quote:
AOTL Donations is going on a temporary hold

Source

wawa 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 0:23:46
#186 ]
Elite Member

@number6

people who doanted there should have had trust in the dealer. while it is uncertain if it is still going to be handled up to the donators expectations, it wasnt never granted, especially that details are unknown. i d expect this aspect may stay unaffected by the course of events.

Raffaele 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 8:44:00
#187 ]

@Thread

AOTL noticed Amigakit is selling AmigaX computers at a price lesser than them so they got pissed off and abandoned selling that product brand feeling outraged by A-Eon policy that preferred some dealers over the others...

It may be possible that actual currency exchange situation of British Pound just favoured AmigaKit, or AmigaKit purchased more AmigaX5000 than AOTL did, so they got a consistent reduction of price on new Amigas, but in the end results will not change.

AOTL ceased any business with A-Eon and AmigaKit.

Remaining 10 pages comments are fluff...

OlafS25 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 9:36:29
#188 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

AmigaKit always will have advantages there if you look at the close ties between A-eon and Amigakit

Last edited by OlafS25 on 01-Jun-2017 at 09:36 AM.

number6 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 15:35:48
#189 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Each company has an entirely different system going out. Without knowing the full details of the s/w deals, I don't see how you can reduce this to noticing a price difference on the one item.

Examples are posted on amiganews.de.

Assuming google translate is fairly accurate...

Alinea...s/w is part of the package (not explicitly stated as to which s/w as I read it). Amedia...you only get the game Amiga Racer included. etc.

Quote:
OEM versions of Enhancer and PPaint would thus be a competitive advantage for larger traders
etc.

btw-Amiga Racer is a product of Amitopia, who wrote the initial article.

Kremlar 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 18:12:00
#190 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:
so they got pissed off and abandoned selling that product brand feeling outraged by A-Eon policy that preferred some dealers over the others...

"Some dealers?" Did you mean "themselves"?

Quote:
if you look at the close ties between A-eon and Amigakit

They are basically one and the same at this point.

JKD 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 18:35:40
#191 ]

@sundown

This is exactly why I've stayed away from all things Amiga and fact that stuff moves at a hobbyist pace.....come back to find out they've been 'on sale' for 8 months....?

I literally just found out A5000 was on-sale and about AOTL....days later they are out of the market...darn.

Last edited by JKD on 07-Jun-2017 at 03:27 PM.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 1-Jun-2017 20:44:10
#192 ]
Cult Member

@number6
Quote:

Each company has an entirely different system going out.

Exactly. It's mostly impossible to guess what the profit margin of any individual dealer is or what their profit margins look like when you compare them to each other - we simply don't know enough details.

Quote:

Examples are posted on amiganews.de.

Assuming google translate is fairly accurate...

That was my posting. I was pointing out that even Trevor's disclaimer somewhat contradicts itself: All dealers get equal conditions, but you get "a discount" and free copies of Enhancer/PPaint if you buy more than five boards at once.

If you don't cross the five-boards-per-order limit - and I'd guess that the smaller dealers often don't - your margin gets smaller and you can't offer free copies of Enhancer/PPaint (or your margin gets even smaller, since you have to finance these bundles from your own pocket). Purchases at AOTL or Amedia didn't include the software (instead, both dealers supply a free copy of Amiga Racer with an X5000 system, while Amigakit or Alinea do supply friee copies of Enhancer/PPaint.

(but again: that's not saying much. From what I hear, pretty much all dealers are pissed at A-Eonkit - so throwing wild guesses who might make more/less profits based on browsing some web shops doesn't get us any further)

BoingBear 
Posted on 8-Jun-2017 2:35:01
#193 ]

@kas1e

Allow me to "facepalm" for you, after that comment by Iggy, which seems to me to be way out of line. I have visited parts of the former USSR, including Russia, and for the most part, I found that the people are warm and friendly, and no different than people from other countries all around the world, including the USA. There are of course bad people in every country and every community. I don't think that iggy's comment was meant to be malicious, but instead was more thoughtless, or uneducated, with regard to what most Russian people are really like.

I don't think iggy is a "bad" guy, but his comment toward you made me cringe, and I can understand why it bothered you. On behalf of one american, please accept my apology if you were offended by any comments in this thread.

Edit: My comment above was written after reading only the 1st, or 1st and 2nd page of this 10 page thread. The nasty comments got worse as I read further into the thread, and now I am mad for wasting all of the time to read every post in this stupid thread. We still don't know exactly why AOTL got mad (but it was probably because of AmigaKit pricing of X5000 from their own web store).

I think both parties are to blame: 1. AOTL for what appears to be a knee jerk reaction without working with AmigaKit toward a resolution and; 2. AmigaKit for not being more aware of the potential problem their pricing might cause, and discussing with existing dealers/distributors prior to beginning sales on AmigaKit store.

All this drama can still be resolved and forgotten, if both parties want a resolution.

Last edited by BoingBear on 08-Jun-2017 at 04:00 AM.

Senex 
Posted on 8-Jun-2017 4:22:32
#194 ]

@number6

Quote:

btw-Amiga Racer is a product of Amitopia, who wrote the initial article.

Did I miss something?

Amitopia = Michal Bergseth
AmigaRacer = Michael Neitzel

iggy 
Posted on 9-Jun-2017 11:51:12
#195 ]

@BoingBear

I just noticed your inane comment.

Quote:
I don't think iggy is a "bad" guy, but his comment toward you made me cringe

I'm not sure why you would infer that I dislike the Russian people, as I've never stated that.
In fact, I've had several good business interactions with them, and personally find them quite charming.

Their government however does sponsor programs to interfere with the elections of other nations, supports dictators in Syria and North Korea, and the fact that Putin's opponents keep getting "mysteriously" murdered is highly suspect.

So if disliking the Russian government makes me a "bad" person, I'd have to say I'm proud of that.
And I don't like my own government that much either.

Don't confuse a people with their country's politicians.

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Jun-2017 12:11:31
#196 ]
Elite Member

@BoingBear

in a real market both sides would have every interest to solve problems

but the amiga market is not driven by economics but by emotions

So the disappointment seems to be so big that I doubt that there is a way back

The problem is that the base system already is so expensive (I avoid overpriced because we talk about tiny production runs that have to cover all the costs) that it becomes difficult for resellers to even add something upon that and earn money

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Jun-2017 12:12:39
#197 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

you dislike Trump who wants to make america great again?

iggy 
Posted on 9-Jun-2017 15:14:12
#198 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
you dislike Trump who wants to make america great again?

Of course, because he fails to understand the need to adjust to the realities of the present and future.
And who is he to say we're not still great?

Our GDP is still one of the highest in the world.
We lead in semiconductors, computer software, the development of electric cars, and the entrepreneurial development of spacecraft.
That isn't great?

I'm not afraid of competing in a global economy, I like Mexicans, I don't care for Republicans OR Democrats (and trust neither).

AND, if I wanted a billionaire as president, well I'd rather have Warren Buffet.
A true self made man, who didn't get his start from his daddy, and wouldn't try to weasel out of his fair share of taxation (like Trump is with his suggestion of eliminating the Alternative Minimum Tax).

Then again, what's this got to do with AOTL?
BTW - I just got a shipment from that company,.
The X5000 cpu cooler looks solid, and the OWC SSD I ordered flies (and the price was great).
So, thanks Aaron.

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Jun-2017 15:28:16
#199 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

my comment was ironic

I personal could never understand why poor people, be it white poor or blacks or whatever, vote for a billionaire because they think he represents and understands small people. Weird thinking to me.

And yes the truth (like everywhere) is in the middle, america is big in many areas leading IT and some other sectors and of course producing best weapons. But there is also another america that feels left behind, traditional minorities like the blacks but obviously also many white workers who lost jobs. The problem with Trump is he want to return to 50s and 60s but 2017 world is very different now so the labour intense industries are no more with only few people and machines doing what thousands of workers did back then. Even if some factories are rebuild because of him it will not bring many new jobs. The bigger problem is that obviously mexican workers can do the same as american so he should invest in education. But most concepts need time but he is a twitter president, he needs success to spread around. But that will not work.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 09-Jun-2017 at 03:29 PM.

bison 
Posted on 10-Jun-2017 0:49:58
#200 ]
Elite Member

@thread

If I may be so impertinent as to post something on-topic, I noticed that AOTL's front page message has been updated slightly.

Quote:
***AOTL Donations has been restored!***

We have made a decision, concerning both A-EON and AmigaKit. The decision we made is grounded in our experience during the last 8 months in regards to both companies. As a result we have made the choice to no longer support A-EON or AmigaKit in any way, shape or form.

We are still here and "WILL" be carrying more stuff soon. However no more X5000 or A1222 or, frankly anything produced from either company.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle