Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 83 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  26 secs ago
 clint:  12 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  21 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 A1200:  28 mins ago
 pavlor:  33 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  68k Developement
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
PosterThread
Barana 
Re: 68k Developement
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 6:59:30
#261 ]
Cult Member

@cdimauro

All I'm saying, yet again, is that kollas trolling won't be tolerated and we will report him when he does.
Not allowing trolling to go on is not trolling. It is reporting.
Threres no need for the personal attack. Please remove it.

Insult removed - _Steve_

I'll remove my personal insult, when you remove yours.

Last edited by _Steve_ on 30-Sep-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Last edited by Barana on 18-Sep-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 18-Sep-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 18-Sep-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Last edited by Barana on 18-Sep-2018 at 07:21 AM.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Profile     Report this post  
Overflow 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 7:37:42
#262 ]

@cdimauro

You keep throwing around words like fanatics and defenders, which isnt really helpful either.
Yes, there are a few rabid Vampire/Apollo users, that seems to type everything in CAPS, and seems to bounce off the walls when discussing anything.

Fine, we got those people in every facet of life, and over the years, Ive seen examples of similar behaviour in pretty much every socalled "camp".

When you say "dont like critics", thats wrong, to a point. It goes back to precived style of feedback.
Several weeks ago kolla and flype had a very good exchange, where kolla tested issues and gave good feedback to flype. Without the "poke in the eye" style. Great stuff.

Same as when Daniel/Daytona makes comments;
Hes very direct and to the point, almost to a harsh level, but he points directly to issues and his solution/thoughts around it, and doesnt include negativity to his feedback.

You are not doing anyone any favours putting a whole community into 1 camp, based off the behavour of 1 or 2 persons.
Im pretty sure most of us knows a few people that might be good at their jobs (in your own sphere), but are always adding negativity to the workplace. A guy I used to work with was really good at what he did, but in his mind, everything was wrong, and he wasnt shy about talking about it, 24/7. I personally didnt mind, cause I appriciated his performance. But quite a few others at work found it annoying/fatiguing to listen to the same complaints for days, months and years.

Take ppcamiga1; I would never dream of attributing his behaviour to the general PPC camp/community.
Thats a dishonest and lazy approach.

With regards to AROS development: Thats better for OlafS25 and wawa to comment on. Asking the Apollo team to put even more work on their schedule, in addition to core development, seems unrealistic.
I havent read that callout on EAB by Gunnar vs Thomas, but if it is as you presented then it sounds like he has done several times on Apollo forum and IRC, which amounts to "People should stop posting all the time, and code instead!". Those comments usually come up when people moan about delays or starts dreaming about new features.
Not saying Thomas did any such thing, but it does sound like Gunnars less than optimal way of herding people towards the compilers.

Last edited by Overflow on 18-Sep-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Barana 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 8:06:28
#263 ]
Cult Member

@Overflow

@ wawa

At this point I've got to credit wawa. When he first came here he was one of those men who whinged non stop about how every project was a failure. forever!!! It got on many peoples nerves until one day I confronted him about it and he Said Something about if he sees it all as failure he won't worry to much If it does fail. I rolled my eyes.
Look at him 5 years later, he's positive he contributes, encourages.He's a freaking model amigan.
Better than me, admittedly!
Be like him,cdmauro.
Because were sick of people pulling down others from other forums(where they can't defend themselves) and character assassinating them.especially when their _effort_ is to be applauded.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Rose 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 8:24:17
#264 ]
Cult Member

@Barana

Quote:
Threres no need for the personal attack. Please remove it. Or I shall greatly delight in telling the world how well your wife rides my saddle,and how long she moaned for. And how she keeps ringing me in the night and asking for more. ;)

Double standards much.

Quote:
I serve King Jesus.

Exodus 20:14

Snorg 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 8:46:21
#265 ]

@Rose, @all

Distasteful, yes. Should know better, yes, but recall:

Matt 7:1

and more importantly:

Matt 5:44-5; Eph 4:15

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:19:30
#266 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Where are the 68k programmers helping Aros on 68k? Expecially those doing lots of talk on forums. I have not seen them in recent years. Aros runs already on original amiga hardware, it replaces the roms and offers lots of advanced features already but would need help to improve speed (not just for vampires).

The truth is they were not interested at all. So you cannot blame lack of support on gunnar, most simply are not interested. That is all, the simple truth. I do not blame anyone, everybody can do with his spare time what he wants but stop all that nonsense...

Gunnar is sometimes a little overenthusiastic. The project is his baby and he is proud on it, he has a plan what he wants to reach. People should not look on benchmarks but talk to other users who already own it and buy what is now available without expect wonders in future. Even if the products are not satisfying everyone but in contrast to the moaners he has delivered something, not just talk.

Regarding Thomas he will never support Aros because he has signed NDA at Hyperion and dislikes open source in general. Also Gunnar has not blamed Thomas but Thomas has blamed Gunnar to violate Copyrights because the Apollo team offered a P96 driver based on Aros sources. Also he requested that Vampire better integrates in existing amiga hardware ignoring the fact that this is not the concept of the project. In this case I clearly know the discussions and can indeed correct you...

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Sep-2018 at 09:34 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:27:38
#267 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

There is not much interest in supporting Aros 68k what I personal think is a wasted chance. I personal have no problems with it, it is how it is. People are happy with Amiga OS (or Coffin how it is called). It is not legal and not adaptable and I am already interested to see how they support f.e. USB because Poseidon on 68k is not legal to install on Amiga OS except backporting it from Aros sources. Of course you might again solve the problem by offering drivers and illegal install it in coffin. If that is the right way has everybody to decide for himself. It will certainly not motivate new developments (I have to agree there with Thomas). To me it seems Gunnar has a plan for hardware development but somehow thinks software or OS development magically appears. He has no idea or plan there and it will not happen. For that the market even with a couple of thousand users is much too small.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:11 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:43:52
#268 ]
Elite Member

@Barana

Quote:
When he first came here he was one of those men who whinged non stop about how every project was a failure.

sorry but i only "whinged" about what actually turned out to be failure, or simply misleading people. say, "timberwolf" ("its not a browser, its technology"), just when kas1e and others were about to port odyssey to os4. say xena chip "you (the audience) will show us (vendors) what it is for.", say prisma megamix, advertised as regular amiga soundcard, rather than stream decoder.

on the contrary i was genuinely supportive about igors vampire project to start with, even when it was still an a600 "decelerator" and people including amiga hardware authorities were bashing him left and right. i also see gunnar and apollo team not as a holy trinity, but they constantly deliver, something which is truly exceptional in this community, while still receiving forum flak.

to be honest, im not very positive about whatever amiga alternative inclusive aros, given the circumstances, but i like to try whats possible and probably like a number of others prefer to do something, try to help and be around developers who actually work rather than contribute to threads, the main content of is the massive amount of pain in lower back.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:48:00
#269 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Poseidon on 68k is not legal to install on Amiga OS except backporting it from Aros sources

news to me. poseidon is freely available. what is not are the device drivers. anyway, people can write theirs based on aros templates i guess.

Barana 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:49:39
#270 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Interesting, Poseidon for 68k not legal? But I thought it was available for 030+ or have I missed your meaning?
There is aniias which will take Poseidon and os4 drivers iirc. And works on 68000.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:54:18
#271 ]
Elite Member

@Barana

No poseidon on 68k is still copyrighted by Chris Hodges. If you want to use it you have to talk to him and get a license. There was a version open sourced for Aros that was ported to MorphOS and it would be legal to backport it to Amiga OS or of course use Aros 68k.

Barana 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:55:55
#272 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Oh I see, yeah id buy 68k Poseidon.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

megol 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:56:25
#273 ]

@Barana

Quote:

Barana wrote:
If you do persist, we will start rolling out the troll reports.

If you are not happy trolling here, might I suggest a.org. ... I. Think they'll eat you alive, there.

You are not a moderator. In fact f I were one I'd send you off on a short vacation to rethink your behavior.

Know why I can't show a good example how nice, factual posts from Vampire owners asking about something Gunnar lied about but not working on his/her board? Because that thread and the resulting disgusting behavior from the psychophants* and shit parts of the "team" alike were wiped before I could make a copy.

(* intentionally misspelling this)

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 9:56:56
#274 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

No I talked to Chris (the owner) some time ago. There was a version open sourced for Aros that is of course legal in Aros 68k but also can be ported (was used on MorphOS). On Amiga OS 3.X you either have to get a license from Chris or backport it from Aros 68k.

Barana 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 10:02:37
#275 ]
Cult Member

@megol

No, I'm not.None needs to be a moderator to report a troll :)
Great!!!! I'll give you my PayPal address just be a Dahl and deposit say 5k euros into it, you don't need to be a mod to bless me with a holiday!
ANYONE ELSE WANTS TO SEND ME FOR 'A LITTLE HOLIDAY',PM ME AND ILL SEND YOU MY DEPOSIT DETAILS ALSO! and thankyou very much,bless you!bless you in Jesus' name!
How nice he is!

Last edited by Barana on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:08 AM.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

g01df1sh 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 10:25:14
#276 ]

@Barana

If Poseidon is not legal then how is this card available with Cd and software ?
http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=193

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 10:32:37
#277 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

from icomp page:
A license of the USB stack "Poseidon" and corresponding drivers are included with the card. Product support is only done by individual Computers and our resellers. The original author of the Poseidon stack, Chris Hodges, will not do product support. Please do not eMail him.

So he got a license obviously

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:34 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 10:45:29
#278 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
I talked to Chris (the owner) some time ago.

first off, afaik poseidon was included with morphos long before chris has open sourced it and ported to aros. whatever deal chris had with morphos team is another matter.

now, that poseidons sources are open and part of aros, released under whatever license (id have to look what it is) probably mpl or apl, and as long there is no special clause prohibiting porting it to amiga or whatever, anyone can simply do that, whith no further hassle or asking about license.

thats at least my understanding.

what however has not been open sourced (i say again) are the device drivers chris wrote, like the infamous spider.device or what it was called, chris was upset elbox was providing without his compensation. similarly he had a deal with individual computers, even though they developed their driver themselves upon his skeleton, or something like that.

Last edited by wawa on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:45 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 10:50:01
#279 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Chris Hodges was still developing Poseidon when I talked to him so his version of Poseidon is not identical to the Aros version and probably not to the MorphOS version (but I do not know details about that). So if you want to install Poseidon on 3.X you have to use his version at the moment and for that you would need a license. Of course you are free to backport the Aros Poseidon to 3.X and make drivers for it but someone has to do that. The solution to supply drivers and people using Chris Hodges version to install Poseidon definitely would break copyright.

Interview with Chris Hodges (german):
http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/AN-2011-09-00026-DE.html

BTW the same is true for LAN support and other components

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Sep-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Sep-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Barana 
Posted on 18-Sep-2018 10:54:35
#280 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Yeah anyone could back port it, but why? For a little fee you get it ready to go, and you can fry bigger coding-fish.

We could ask Chris really nicely and he might write a Pamela and 080 enhanced version.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle