Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 155 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  14 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  39 mins ago
 Hypex:  47 mins ago
 kolla:  56 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Blastaway, a new game for AmigaOS 4 (?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: Blastaway, a new game for AmigaOS 4 (?)
Posted on 28-Jul-2019 19:54:36
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Quote:
BTW, the mosters derive from those found in Wizard of Wor (type: Wizard of Wor name -> Blastaway name):

I haven't played much of Wizard of Wor that I recall (the original WoW) but I did notice a pattern. I'm not sure the names form proper English words. They tend to look Polish.

Yep, they aren't mean to sound English: just wor-esque, following the original -wor pattern.

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I'd better go for the same solution I used for the menu: SHIFTs, CTRLs, SPACE, TAB, ENTER, RETURN - all of them at the same time! Hmm... tempting! And I'm actually tempted to remove the reconfiguration option (but I guess I won't, not to annoy the WASD lovers).

Sounds like a bunch of WASDs.

I can't get this, but anyway, now I've assigned the fire function to all those keys plus [X] (with the latter being reconfigurable).

Quote:
The only thing that annoyed me is that I went to the reconfiguration menu to see what keys were assigned. And I couldn't view the current map. I had to redefine it to see what it was.

Redefining the keys (just 4 directions + fire) takes so little that seeing the previous assignment isn't that important.

Quote:
Also dropping down the bars so the player was trapped in the game field. Funny. I suppose his team members would be in danger had it not.

In fact they are when a dead soldier lies on the bars holes: that prevents bars to close, and thus wors can actually enter the entrance area and kill the soldiers standing there!
(It's intentional and even mentioned in the manual )

Quote:
Quote:
The scroller moves at 1 pixel per frame, so the first letter will take 320 frames = 6.4 seconds to reach the left border. Maybe it's just a perception of yours, not a technical issue.

I've not had trouble percepting things before like this. It's not exactly like an A1200 either where you can use hardware scrolling wth certain timing. I am wondering if you use a vertical blank? Just checking my screen modes and some are 60Hz where as others differ if that is affecting it. Either way 1 pixel at any refresh should look smooth without rendering lag.

Given that, for the moment being, I'm not using double buffering, I guess that SDL does not synchronizes to the refresh. A refresh rate other than 50 Hz definitely makes the scroller imperfect, but still not so bad to the point of being easily noticeable. Your machine is definitely fast enough to never skip a frame (hopefully all existing AmigaOS 4 machines are just as capable), so I can't see why the scroller should be sluggish. Have you timed how long it takes the first letter to reach the left border? More than 6.4 seconds?

Profile     Report this post  
Bezzen 
Posted on 29-Jul-2019 17:13:25
#22 ]

@saimo

Wizard of Wor is one of my all time favourites. Don't have an OS4 machine but this game I'd support anyway. It already looks awesome from the Youtube clips. Go go go!

saimo 
Posted on 29-Jul-2019 17:25:09
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Bezzen

Quote:
Wizard of Wor is one of my all time favourites. Don't have an OS4 machine but this game I'd support anyway. It already looks awesome from the Youtube clips. Go go go!

Thank you! If you have a Windows machine (and maybe Linux+Wine), you can try the game anyway

saimo 
Posted on 29-Jul-2019 17:56:15
#24 ]
Elite Member

@all

Several people in several places told me that they'd happily buy the game (and a couple of them, whom I can never thank enough, even donated me very generous amounts of money): while such intention is much appreciated, at the moment sales are *not* what I'm after! As explained, the game might even be free (and currently it is). The best support right now consists in letting people outside of the Amiga community know about the game. "Outside" because of two reasons: many/most of the fellow Amigans already know by now, and those who don't know yet will sooner or later; the Amiga community is (sadly) very small, so it doesn't make a real commercial difference.
The indie scene has become an ocean and an industry, so it's extremely unlikely to reach a significant success without important connections and massive investments in marketing; still, word of mouth might help the game hit the right spot at the right time... sure, almost impossible... but not completely impossible
So, if you feel like, just let your friends/connections know: that's the best form of support the game can get. Thanks in advance!

By the way, of course many thanks to who already helped with spreading the word and, in particular, to these blogs and the authors of the respective articles (in alphabetical order):
* Amiga.gr, https://amiga.gr/2019/07/925/blastaway
* AmigaGuru Gamerblog, https://blog.amigaguru.com/a-first-look-at-blastaway/
* Epsilon's Amiga Blog, http://amigax1000.blogspot.com/2019/07/blastaway-preview-on-x5000.html
(If I missed any, please let me know.)

saimo 
Posted on 30-Jul-2019 22:06:45
#25 ]
Elite Member

Improved looks: this update mostly brings cool enhancements to the graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAMsUkUEGIg

CHANGELOG
* Redrawn wor kill animation (and changed associated sound effect accordingly).
* Improved graphics of tiles, destroyable objects explosion, blast mark, and bonuses orbs.
* Made a couple of other internal improvements/bugfixes.

Latest build download: https://www.retream.com/Blastaway

Last edited by saimo on 30-Jul-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Birbo 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 10:45:50
#26 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

Looks awesome!

I played a lot Bomberman Dynablaster when I was younger - so I'll play Blastaway too, as soon as I have a little time... I like those type of games.

Sì, sì, sono io, Roberto

saimo 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 10:55:02
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Quote:
Looks awesome!

Thank you!

Quote:
I played a lot Bomberman Dynablaster when I was younger - so I'll play Blastaway too, as soon as I have a little time... I like those type of games.

That's a great game and I'm glad you'll try Blastaway, but a word a warning: Blastaway is totally different from Dynablaster In fact, it's gameplay is heavily based on Wizard of Wor.

Quote:
Sì, sì, sono io, Roberto

Eh eh

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 12:23:26
#28 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

You were looking for work in norway? maybe this?

https://karriere.no/jobb/programvareutvikler-embedded-systemer-1872902.html?fbclid=IwAR1yAB0w4_v74ahTf4-MY40gHriEIH68RDBV2MckNjC9cWAlfcOitfAz98c

saimo 
Posted on 31-Jul-2019 12:51:38
#29 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Thanks a lot for the pointer, much appreciated. However, the job is programming-related, so not for me :/

Hypex 
Posted on 4-Aug-2019 16:01:55
#30 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:
I can't get this, but anyway, now I've assigned the fire function to all those keys plus [X] (with the latter being reconfigurable).

X is fine. Now I know what it is.

Quote:
Redefining the keys (just 4 directions + fire) takes so little that seeing the previous assignment isn't that important.

In my case I didn't want to redefine it, I just wanted to look at what it was.

Quote:
In fact they are when a dead soldier lies on the bars holes: that prevents bars to close, and thus wors can actually enter the entrance area and kill the soldiers standing there!

Oh no!

Quote:
Have you timed how long it takes the first letter to reach the left border? More than 6.4 seconds?

Okay so I did some timing. It takes close to 6.4 seconds, if not 6.4 seconds. Certainly no longer. The text isn't scrolling perfectly smooth but it is okay. What looks out of place is the background scroller. I can see a slight flicker as if it updated midframe.

saimo 
Posted on 4-Aug-2019 19:42:27
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Quote:

In my case I didn't want to redefine it, I just wanted to look at what it was.

I know. What I meant is that even if one goes there with the same intention as yours, he/she can simply redefine all the keys in a few seconds, so it doesn't matter anymore what was the previous assignment. Also, there is the manual and, anyway, with the current settings (directions assigned to the arrow keys and fire assigned to [CTRLs], [SHIFTs], [SPACE], [ENTER], [RETURN], [TAB], and [X]) hardly anyone will ever need to guess or even redefine the keys at all

Quote:
Okay so I did some timing. It takes close to 6.4 seconds, if not 6.4 seconds. Certainly no longer. The text isn't scrolling perfectly smooth but it is okay. What looks out of place is the background scroller. I can see a slight flicker as if it updated midframe.

I'm not surprised given that, as mentioned, at the moment there is no buffering. Some day I'll look into it, although I'm not sure that the SDL buffering will work with CompositeTags() (in fact, I don't need to call SDL_UpdateRect() when using CompositeTags()).

saimo 
Posted on 6-Aug-2019 15:39:49
#32 ]
Elite Member

A brand-new stage and tons of other improvements! Finally Blastaway has more than one stage (i.e. setting), which means more graphics to enjoy, greater sense of progression (as the stages change every 10 arenas), and more arenas to play (20 in all now, but they will be 50 when, in the end, all the 5 planned stages are done).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGKcM1W8kL0

CHANGELOG
* Defined the setting of the stages and gave them names (THE CAVES, THE OUTER WALLS, THE CELLARS, THE CHAMBERS, THE LABS).
* Added a new stage (THE CAVES).
* Changed naming scheme of arenas.
* Extended handling of arena clearing: now an arena will be declared cleared only after also all the keys have been picked up (before, killing the Exxwor immediately ended the action and thus the player could miss the keys not picked up yet, which could make facing the following arenas impossible).
* Recalibrated bonuses distribution.
* Made killing the Dmewor easier.
* Made picking up keys easier.
* Improved Exxwor's AI a little bit.
* Halved wors speed increase between arenas.
* Prevented entrance doors from closing if any wor is in the entrance area (otherwise, a wor might get stuck there, thus becoming unreachable by the active soldier inside the arena, which could well lead to a situation where it was impossible clear the arena and continue the game).
* Adapted/improved/fixed some arenas.
* Adapted/improved/extended manual.
* Made various other improvements/bugfixes.

OldAmigan 
Posted on 6-Aug-2019 17:59:40
#33 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

Have you thought about GOG?

Fred

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

saimo 
Posted on 6-Aug-2019 20:01:49
#34 ]
Elite Member

@OldAmigan

Quote:
Have you thought about GOG?

I'm not considering any store other than itch.io.
In general, it's a pain to have the games spread over multiple stores. In the past I had several games on various stores, but it had become a burden and produced no significant income (and actually, in the case of Desura, IndieGameStand, and Gameolith I even lost money, as they ran away with my earnings), so at some point I removed the games from everywhere but itch.io (a truly excellent store that gives total control to the user), with the exception of Huenison, which is available also on Steam through RGCD (it would be too much of a mess to remove it from there).
Regarding GOG, in the past, when I was still searching for stores, I contacted GOG twice (at different times) to have BOH and Huenison on them, and got in both cases a way too quick standard and identical reply that showed that they had at most looked very superficially at the games.
Anyway, having a game on a store doesn't equal visibility - and, actually, the bigger the store, the lesser the visibility.

OldAmigan 
Posted on 6-Aug-2019 20:28:16
#35 ]
Cult Member

@saimo

I don't often play games so until I started to read this thread, I'd never heard of itch.io.

I have to say it looks pretty good.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Aug-2019 17:21:15
#36 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

I don't know what happened but I replied to this last night and the reply is missing. Unfortunately it's lost as Odyssey has no way I know of saving text. Though that would be up to a MUI class.

Quote:
I know. What I meant is that even if one goes there with the same intention as yours, he/she can simply redefine all the keys in a few seconds

Which I needed to do. But in doing so I erased the evidence. Keys became a mystery.

Quote:
Also, there is the manual and, anyway

The addition of a manual was appreciated. The mystery was solved!

Quote:
I'm not surprised given that, as mentioned, at the moment there is no buffering

Other SDL apps seem fine. But those were on my XE. Could it be time for a classic WaitTOF()?

saimo 
Posted on 8-Aug-2019 17:29:37
#37 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Quote:
I know. What I meant is that even if one goes there with the same intention as yours, he/she can simply redefine all the keys in a few seconds

Which I needed to do. But in doing so I erased the evidence. Keys became a mystery.

An irrelevant one, though

Quote:
Quote:
Also, there is the manual and, anyway

The addition of a manual was appreciated. The mystery was solved!

It was only by mistake that the first AmigaOS4 archive didn't include a manual. Then again, now that all the already mentioned keys have the fire function assigned, it's impossible that anyone will have any trouble.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not surprised given that, as mentioned, at the moment there is no buffering

Other SDL apps seem fine. But those were on my XE. Could it be time for a classic WaitTOF()?

No, the appropriate alternative would be SDL's own double buffering.

Last edited by saimo on 08-Aug-2019 at 05:30 PM.

saimo 
Posted on 13-Aug-2019 16:50:46
#38 ]
Elite Member

A new stage and ten new arenas to enjoy!
This build represents a major step as it adds lots of content and brings quite a number of additional improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laaQkxxjfl4

CHANGELOG
* Added stage THE WAREHOUSE (previously THE CELLARS/JAILS).
* Added 8 arenas.
* Added milestone bonus (a soldier is awarded every 20000 points).
* Reduced number of wors to kill per stage.
* Refined rendering of blast marks, so that they follow the irregular borders of the nearby vertical tiles.
* Reduced shadows to 2 bits to make them sharper and stay more faithful to 16 bit machines.
* Touched up / redrawn a few tiles.
* Updated/improved manual.
* Made a couple of minor bugfixes.

saimo 
Posted on 17-Aug-2019 23:01:25
#39 ]
Elite Member

@all

A small but key change: the soldier weapon is now centered relatively to his body, so it is easier to hit wors especially when the soldier is pointing west/east. Also, the HUD should be less intrusive and more readable now.

CHANGELOG
* Centered weapon with respect to the soldier body, so that it is easier to aim.
* Made HUD smaller and easier to read.
* Optimized tiles coordinates handling.

@Hypex

I've tried the SDL double buffering, but, unfortunately, on AmigaOS 4 it makes the frame rate drop by 25%. Considering that you're noticing some tearing in the menu screen only, I won't use it. If I get reports about (serious) tearing during gameplay, maybe I'll try to come up with some custom buffering.

Last edited by saimo on 17-Aug-2019 at 11:21 PM.

AmigaMac 
Posted on 18-Aug-2019 1:21:44
#40 ]

@saimo

Looks really awesome and fun to play!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle