Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 48 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  36 mins ago
 pavlor:  49 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 saleliterary:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 prawnplop:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Street Fighter II - Capcom goes woke
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
AmigaMac 
Re: Street Fighter II - Capcom goes woke
Posted on 27-Feb-2021 19:34:36
#41 ]

@Amiga4000

It's time to standup to cancel culture. It's also time for alt tech to get into position to battle big tech and keep us free of tech tyranny.

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Posted on 28-Feb-2021 5:25:03
#42 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaMac

Quote:
It's also time for alt tech to get into position to battle big tech and keep us free of tech tyranny.

I don't know if there really is such a thing as alt-tech, but I keep hoping there is. Or will be.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Feb-2021 11:14:06
#43 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Anything that stops companies forcing walled gardens on consumers is ‘alt-tech’ as far as I’m concerned. Whether it be Linux on the PS3, BootCamp on the Mac or the ability to retain backwards compatibility with Virtualisation. SIP, T2 chips and now the removal of BootCamp is all bad on the Mac side. Media Molecule’s Dreams not being able to create stand alone indie games is a major setback for an Amiga type home brew scene on PlayStation. The 30% markup on app stores to subsidise hardware is not sustainable and overly controlling if used for the desktop too IMHO.

P.S. I’ve just realised that Elite Dangerous: Horizons (the exploring planet surface add-on) is a free upgrade to all registered Elite gamers now! Without BootCamp that would be another disappointment with dropped support due to no OpenGL upgrades in macOS in many years and Metal not being taken up by Frontier or the big game developers other than maybe MHDR Studios

Yay for M1 Macs! Shame that there is less and less to run on macOS unless you want iOS apps!

Last edited by BigD on 28-Feb-2021 at 11:18 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 28-Feb-2021 17:44:20
#44 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Complaining about no "bootcamp“ on M1 mac is like complaining about lack of bootcamp on Raspberry Pi - it’s an irrelevant complaint. There are different methods for bootstrapping depending on the hardware - NOTHING prevents Microsoft from making Windows for the ARM based macs, Apple encourages them to do it (and it is coming), and even encourages other operating systems to be ported as well, allowing non-signed kernels to boot. This is already old news by now...

https://youtu.be/nIQvbPw3IjA

Now remind everyone how long it took Linux to get this far on so called AmigaOne hardware... not to mention how long it takes AmigaOS to get anywhere on AmigaOne hardware... in comparison, Apple harfware, even new M1 based, is a breeze.

Last edited by kolla on 28-Feb-2021 at 05:45 PM.

bison 
Posted on 28-Feb-2021 18:35:10
#45 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I was thinking more in terms of employment. I'd be pleased if I never had to sit through another sexual harassment or diversity seminar, ever. If you add all the woke BS on top of that, it just becomes unbearable. At this point I'm willing to work for less money than what I could otherwise make just to live a normal life.

simplex 
Posted on 1-Mar-2021 14:14:23
#46 ]
Cult Member

@bison

The worst part of these seminars is not just their one-sided legal information (as I wrote earlier, "the wrench turns in only one direction"), but their routine presentation of "settled" positions that are in fact incorrect. I complained about this to my institution some years ago, and in that case they did at least change the provider. (Though the presentation was also very poorly made, with composite photos of heads at curiously odd angles to the body, as if their necks had been broken. It was... weird.)

Rose 
Posted on 1-Mar-2021 14:28:02
#47 ]
Cult Member

@bison

Quote:
I'd be pleased if I never had to sit through another sexual harassment or diversity seminar, ever.

These things are expense for company which they would gladly be without, but have to do when someone doesn't know how to behave. Problem is that some people are dicks and everyone have to suffer from it. But I guess these things are not a problem if you are Straight white male.

simplex 
Posted on 1-Mar-2021 15:18:11
#48 ]
Cult Member

@Rose

As a straight white male who was explicitly discriminated against by one potential employer ("we hired someone else because she was not just a woman, but black, and those are hard to come by in STEM") and arguably harassed on my first day of work at my first regular job by a homosexual (who spent the better part of the four hours telling me that if I ever wanted to try it, he'd be willing to help me discover myself) I can assure you that such people exist all over, but the wrench turns in only one direction.

Jose 
Posted on 1-Mar-2021 18:29:58
#49 ]
Cult Member

@Rose
Lol!! Yeah, beacause straight white males have the highest crime/rape statistics out of all groups right ? I think if the western modern countries completely give up their individualism rights and start treating people according to the group they belong, will lose every advantage/prosperity/morality (individual responsability) that the west presented and was probably one of the main things that made the best people want to live in it. This type of things (diversity, wake culture etc.) are totally opposite to western culture values of individual freedom and responsibility.

Last edited by Jose on 01-Mar-2021 at 06:30 PM.

José

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Mar-2021 13:36:52
# ]

Quote:
It's time to standup to cancel culture.

I think it's time to cancel Amigaworld.net.

What an utterly inane and pointless thread sitting in the "Amiga gaming" section. And just look at the other thread titles on the front-page... "My cat stepped on my keyboard", "[POLL] How are you usually dressed when using your Amiga?" FFS.

AW.net is utterly dead, time for AmigaKit to drag it out the back, and dump it in the Ely River.

Report this post  
Rose 
Posted on 3-Mar-2021 10:49:51
#51 ]
Cult Member

@Jose

Quote:

Jose wrote:
@Rose
Lol!! Yeah, beacause straight white males have the highest crime/rape statistics out of all groups right ? I think if the western modern countries completely give up their individualism rights and start treating people according to the group they belong, will lose every advantage/prosperity/morality (individual responsability) that the west presented and was probably one of the main things that made the best people want to live in it. This type of things (diversity, wake culture etc.) are totally opposite to western culture values of individual freedom and responsibility.

I get that reading comprehension is hard but if you have lot of rapes and crime at your work I would look for new job.

Jose 
Posted on 3-Mar-2021 23:54:30
#52 ]
Cult Member

@clebin
You have a point but the original topic was clearly intended to discuss how the woke culture affects gaming, so I don't know... This seems to still be a sort of free space of discussion within some limits, or do you want AW going woke too ? :)

@Rose
I see, so just change job and give diversity seminars to workers, God forbid we attack the rapists.. :) I guess simply attacking/arresting whoever did something wrong and leave the others alone is too radical nowadays...
Aha just trolling/exaggerating a bit, but I think you get the point.

Last edited by Jose on 04-Mar-2021 at 12:00 AM.

José

Anonymous 
Posted on 4-Mar-2021 11:36:16
# ]

@Jose

Quote:
This seems to still be a sort of free space of discussion within some limits, or do you want AW going woke too ? :)

I don't even know what that means. This is a forum about a niche computer platform - 'woke' or 'not woke' doesn't even come into it. There's enough of that crap in the real world.

This thread is veering drunkenly around between snowflakes, Trump and Twitter, Israel, big tech and who knows what else. Everything except "Amiga gaming" which is the forum it sits in. In the old days, mods would have stepped in, moved the thread or at least kept it on track, and the thread would've been sunk by threads that actually reference the Amiga in some way. I'd say "let's talk about Amiga stuff" but there's not enough interested users here for that. The place is dead. It's a shame, but what can you do?

Most people with any kind of programming or technical ability have gone elsewhere, although amazingly there are a few relevant threads on the homepage today for once. AW can be kept alive on life support but only for Old Testament loonies like BigD to continue to turn it into the Amiga's answer to Parler. That's very much the trajectory it's on - a Moobunny-style no-holds-barred, passwords-stored-in-plain-text pile-on for a rag-tag mob of trolls and crazies to endorse each others' misconceptions about the world in the fetid atmosphere of a failing pub.

Or AW can be let go. RIP.

Report this post  
Rose 
Posted on 4-Mar-2021 12:30:43
#54 ]
Cult Member

@clebin

Quote:

clebin wrote:
@Jose

Quote:
This seems to still be a sort of free space of discussion within some limits, or do you want AW going woke too ? :)

I don't even know what that means. This is a forum about a niche computer platform - 'woke' or 'not woke' doesn't even come into it. There's enough of that crap in the real world.

This thread is veering drunkenly around between snowflakes, Trump and Twitter, Israel, big tech and who knows what else. Everything except "Amiga gaming" which is the forum it sits in. In the old days, mods would have stepped in, moved the thread or at least kept it on track, and the thread would've been sunk by threads that actually reference the Amiga in some way. I'd say "let's talk about Amiga stuff" but there's not enough interested users here for that. The place is dead. It's a shame, but what can you do?

This is a thread for people being offended about people being offended.

Quote:
Most people with any kind of programming or technical ability have gone elsewhere, although amazingly there are a few relevant threads on the homepage today for once. AW can be kept alive on life support but only for Old Testament loonies like BigD to continue to turn it into the Amiga's answer to Parler.

Who would have thought that if you spend a decade and half declaring anyone with a clue who doesn't praise enough and dares to say that square peg doesn't go to round hole a troll would cause dramatic drop on quality of conversations.

Quote:
That's very much the trajectory it's on - a Moobunny-style no-holds-barred, passwords-stored-in-plain-text pile-on for a rag-tag mob of trolls and crazies to endorse each others' misconceptions about the world in the fetid atmosphere of a failing pub.

Won't happen, whatever can be said about Moo. It's regulars more often had at least basic understanding of computers which cannot be said about Amigaworld. It was brutally honest about downsides of Amigoid platforms but usually also had sound explanations why they thought so. Yeah, there was KKK, Nazi and Gay spam from time to time but it was usually right after someone had posted wrong opinions about their precious OS. Coincidence? I think not.

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Mar-2021 15:17:28
#55 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
Now remind everyone how long it took Linux to get this far on so called AmigaOne hardware... not to mention how long it takes AmigaOS to get anywhere on AmigaOne hardware... in comparison, Apple harfware, even new M1 based, is a breeze.

That video can't even play on AmigaOne hardware. Well, it doesn't work on the latest Odyssey here, and I won't bother installing all sorts of crap you need to manually setup just to play YouTube on OS4 when the end user experience is poor anyway and likely won't go full screen. But that's just me.

The video reminds me of installing Fienix on te X1000. Where you must image a file to an external disk to boot and do the usual stuffing around getting it to boot. But it has no installer so you need to write the image to a partition, tweak it and manually add it to the start menu.

Funny, as these AmigaOne machines look like they are designed to run Linux, but Linux is the hardest to install and boot. The OS4 boot loaders don't tend to like or make it easy for any OS that isn't OS4. I get that they are made for the OS4 market but it's somewhat discriminating making it hard to boot another OS. Or they give no info on how to code a bootstrap chaining off the OS4 one. It's not like people are going to jump ship and run MOS or Linux exclusively.

Last edited by Hypex on 06-Mar-2021 at 03:46 PM.

BSzili 
Posted on 6-Mar-2021 9:13:57
#56 ]

@Rose

What about people being offended about people, who are offended by people being offended? We might end up with an offensception!

fishy_fis 
Posted on 6-Mar-2021 10:19:58
#57 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Quote:
But I guess these things are not a problem if you are Straight white male

You're mocking the whole "straight white males are the root of all evil" narrative that morons subscribe to right?

You seem intelligent enough to know how moronic that is.

If not, then please, tell us what its like to be a straight white male?
This thing happens everywhere in all demographics, and per capita straight white males aren't the highest offenders.
As a straight white male who has been sexually harassed, and groped, twice, in two different work places, and also woken up hand cuffed to a bathroom sink plumbing/pipes after being drugged by a woman with malicious intent my inclination here is to tell you to go f yourself.
The only thing stopping me is the written words lack of tone and infliction which makes intent impossible to judge at times.
If indeed you was serious, then by all means, go f yourself.

Rose 
Posted on 6-Mar-2021 11:19:45
#58 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

More like against "There shouldnt be sexual harassment or diversity seminars since I'm not a victim" attitude.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle