Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 Rob:  17 mins ago
 blmara:  42 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 DWolfman:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 36 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  3.2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
simplex 
Re: 3.2
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 16:12:03
#21 ]
Cult Member

@bison

Quote:
Have you been reading Huck Finn or something?

Not in some time, but I live in them gen'ral parts, gen'rally speakin'.

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 20:36:02
#22 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

That changes south of the Mason-Dixon line, where "y'all" is singular and "all y'all' is plural.

simplex 
Posted on 9-Jun-2021 21:23:15
#23 ]
Cult Member

@bison

My haunts been south o'th'Mason Dixon nearly all my life, fact a high school Yankee classmate of'-mocked me fer using "y'all", so's I think I has some 'thority ta pernounce on th'matter, an' I never done once heard a speaker o'th'Queen's English say "all y'all". What kinda moron repeats his words like that?

Here's how Real Americans (TM, (R), (C), etc.) say it:

Singular: "What [is] you up to?" Notice the optional "is", which can be omitted, what with that bein' the ord'nary meanin' of "optional" an' all.

Plural: "What y'all up to?" The "is" is perhibited heah most strictly.

The frequent absence of a linking verb proofs Southern's close connikshuns with ahr Injun-Euro-peein' roots. Such omission is standard in many Injun-Euro-peein' tongues. Heck, e'en them Russkies, why them Russians be masters of effishunsee in said tongue. They don't even employ no present tense fer the verb "ta be". They jes go 'roun sayin' Да, это я, which translates purse-isely ta, "Yep, it me!" All that, despite their Commienist past, and as all Real Americans (TM, (R), (C), etc.) know, Commienism and Effishunsee be diamond-heck-trically opposed.

Now, a Yankee, he'd be makin' fun of a Real American (TM, (R), (C), etc.) fer omittin' tha present tens o'"ta be", showin' that in matters o'lingo at least, Yankees got lots ta learn from us down heah. Heck, they c'ld larn a thing'r two from them thar Russkies o'er yonder.

bison 
Posted on 10-Jun-2021 1:15:29
#24 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

Quote:
I never done once heard a speaker o'th'Queen's English say "all y'all". What kinda moron repeats his words like that?

I had a roommate from Tennessee quite a long time ago, and he was a all-y'aller. And he wasn't a moron! Apparently it's a very local dialect, though, at least according to your experience.

I grew up in an area where they tend to use the word "borrow" when "lend" would be the correct word, e.g. "Can you borrow me your car." I'm not sure, but I think this is very regionally used as well.

Last edited by bison on 10-Jun-2021 at 01:18 AM.

simplex 
Posted on 10-Jun-2021 2:57:38
#25 ]
Cult Member

@bison

Point well taken; I haven't spent much time in Tennessee. I have a friend in Nashville, but he's a Yankee transplant from upstate New York. Great guy. And people who meet me would never confuse me with a Southerner; it usually takes them a while to detect it, sort of like it took me a while to detect that my doctor is of German origin, and I wouldn't have picked up on it then if not for the fact that I have a German colleague and I noticed similarly unique diction, something about "a" and "r". (This is mostly unrelated, but educated Germans have a fantastic English; in my experience they speak better than most native English speakers.)

I never heard "borrow" used in place of "lend". I have heard "learn" used in place of "teach" -- well, more "larn" than "learn". For example, "I'm gonna larn you a lesson once 'n fer all."

Something I never heard growing up, but first heard where I live now, is the expression "might could" instead of "might be able to". As in, "What you might could do is install a Fatter Agnus and see if that's enough memory." Yeah, that's not a great example, but you get the idea. I disliked it when I first moved here, but I've since grown very fond of it.

My favorite accent is western Virginia -- not West Virginia, but western Virginia, round about Roanoke, Franklin County, among professional moonshiners (no, really) where I taught high school a couple of years. It has a lovely lilt to it. Just remember that if you're walking in the woods and you hear a gunshot, stop, turn around, and head back the way you came, because that first shot was a warning.

Or so a fellow teacher told me.

Last edited by simplex on 10-Jun-2021 at 02:58 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 10-Jun-2021 6:54:04
#26 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Quote:

Hammer wrote:
@matthey

Quote:

The 68060 had better cache efficiency than the Pentium, due to better code density and more cache ways, allowing similar performance with the 32b data bus while allowing cheaper 32b memory to be used, saving lines on boards allowing them to be cheaper and saving pins on the CPU allowing it to be cheaper. There is likely a 68060 energy savings as well from the narrower but well matched bus width and certainly from the better cache efficiency. The Pentium had higher memory bandwidth which it needed to keep up with more efficient designs like the 68060.

While DDR memory transfers are 64b wide, 68k replacement hardware today does not necessarily use it. As I recall, some memory is only 16b like on the Buffee (TI 3358 SoC is a decade old), original Vampire, FleaFPGA Ohm and likely others. It shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck on very low performance hardware but may be for the Buffee.

FYI, my classic Pentium 150's motherboard 512 KB L2 cache.

When compared to classic Pentium FPU, 68060's FPU is not pipelined. This factor is important for Quake-type games which pushed Pentium competitors with weak FPUs into the niche market segment.

Pentium's 64-bit bus is needed for FPU workloads since they exceeded the 32-bit bus width. Modern desktop PCs have dual-channel DIMM which is a 128-bit bus.

168-pin DIMM SDR has 64 bits wide channel without DDR.

LPDDR permits 16- or 32-bit wide channels.

AMD 4700S APU has Xbox Series X's 320-bit GDDR6-14000 memory bus.

Lower latency yields better performance, hence AMD's 192 MB L3 cache for Ryzen 9 5950 improves gaming performance by a further 12 to 15 percent when compared to normal Ryzen 9 5950.

For Quake benchmarks, Pentium 166 (with 430VX chipset) can do 37.30 fps. https://thandor.net/benchmark/33

From terriblefire
Buffee to TF bus runs at 100Mhz. TF doubles bus cycles up to 32bit. So no slowdown from buffee being 16bit (well there is a 10ns penalty over a TF1260)

Quote:

The 68k and Amiga fell behind going into the mid-90's mostly because of improved chip process die sizes they were not taking advantage of. Moore's Law really kicked in hard at that time. The Amiga was taking years to enhance and integrate chips where leading technology companies were updating hardware at least yearly and mass production was necessary for survival. With Moore's Law slowing today, we now have well designed chips on the market for over a decade like the TI 3358 SoC used in the Buffee. The integrated memory controller is the part which has aged the most due to it being difficult to support future memory types when developed. One way around this would be to use on chip eDRAM in an SoC ASIC which also eliminate pins, saves board space and provides better performance than external memory but costs more.

68K was killed by Motorola/Freescale and there was no "AMD" cloner for the 68K market.

68K licensees have weak CPU R&D.

Intel has plans to kill X86 with Itanium and it was rendered useless with AMD's K8 Sledgehammer/Clawhammer which forced Intel to develop project Yamhill (aka Prescott) i.e. Pentium IV with X86-64 compatibility.

Intel Itanium and IBM PowerPC 970 attempted to take desktop PC crown and they were beaten down by AMD's K8 Athlon 64 and K8 Opteron.

IBM forcing Intel for second source insurance has worked for keeping X86 PC alive.

-----------------

Amiga 3000's complexity didn't lead to low-cost desktop PC manufacturing.

PC gaming doomed the Amiga when games such as Doom were released.

From https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NfZ_G7tzVw0J:https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-12-23-fi-4940-story.html+&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk"
The year 1993, 486 at 33Mhz PC price in California, USA
Article date: DEC. 23, 1993

A year ago, a San Francisco-area PC clone dealer known for its low prices was advertising a fully equipped 33 Mhz 486 PC for $1,388. Today, that same machine costs about $1,000

A500's October 1987 introductory price is $699 USD. Note that $1000 USD 486 33Mhz based PC in December 1993 is approaching A500's October 1987 introductory price range.

The year 1993 marks the major rise in PC gaming.

No 3rd party Amiga CPU accelerator will match Commodore's economics of scale.

For year 1993, the uncompetitive nature with 68K can also stem from Motorola not just from Commodore. Commodore is just of many 68K platform vendors who jumped ship away from 68K e.g. PA-RISC 7150 based Amiga Hombre.

None of the 68 K-based PC vendors was able to make 68040 in 68000's and 68020's higher unit numbers.

68000 based A500's $699 USD October 1987 introductory price is about USD $1,600 in 2020 equivalent.

--

From USA's Amiga World Magazine (November 1993), page 58 of 100,
Price listed in USD in November 1993

A1200/020, 2MB, price $379
A3000/030 at 25Mhz, 5MB, 105HD, price $899
A3000T/030 at 25Mhz, 5MB, 200MB HDD, price $1199
A3000T/040 at 25Mhz, 5MB, 200MB HDD, price $1599
A3000s are missing AGA chipset.

Cost estimate for 68040 card, $1599 - $1199, cost for 040 card = $400

A1200's $379 + 040 card's $400 = $779.

Commodore could have out-of-the-box configured A1200 with 68040 at 25Mhz for slightly above $779 (i.e. add 4MB fast ram, small HDD) which could compete against $1000 out-of-the-box 486 33Mhz based PC. Amiga 1200 with 68LC040 + 4MB fast ram at around $779 cost would be targeting Doom type PC gaming.

Amiga ECS upgrade is like the near-useless Commodore 128 upgrade i.e. both products focus on low color display high resolution with aging gaming hardware.

I owned an Amiga 3000/030 at 25Mhz in early 1992 and my major criticism against Commodore's management is ECS is not good enough against similar priced entry-level SVGA-equipped PCs.

Commodore runs down the Amiga platform like C64-to-C128 move!

My Dad could have purchased 486 based PC instead of the Amiga 3000, but my Dad plays sports games on the Amiga 500. My Dad already has 386SX with 387 FPU for His office work at the same time.

broadblues 
Posted on 10-Jun-2021 21:10:05
#27 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@simplex
Quote:

Plural: "What y'all up to?" The "is" is perhibited heah most strictly.

Excuse me for being overly pedantic, but how can "is" be perhibited (sic) from a "sentence" that should use "are" ( and a few other words)

simplex 
Posted on 11-Jun-2021 3:33:08
#28 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Excuse me for being overly pedantic, but how can "is" be perhibited (sic) from a "sentence" that should use "are" ( and a few other words)

Yer errer lies in not reelahzin' that in th'Queen's English th'verb "ta be" don't conjugate much in th'present tense. Ta wit:

- In some lohkayshuns they say, "What [are] y'all up ta?" because they's a bit edjikated and distinguish singular from plural.

- In others they say, "What [is] y'all up ta?" because ta them, th'singular's th'correct plural, and they's mighty consistent about it, as in "we's headin' ta th'Lynyrd Skynyrd concert. Is y'all?" "Naw, but they is."

- In still others they say, "What y'all [be] up ta?" because they don't conjugate th'verb "ta be" in them parts. (Yankees an' furriners might call them latter folks a bit ignorant but we likes ta be char'table. After all, we gots ta live with em, an' they got guns jes as we do, an' sometimes bigger'uns, two.)

But in all these cases ya gots ta remember Shakespeare's dictum, "Brevity [is/be] th'sole o'wit," an' we gots lots a'wits an' lots a'wit, too, so when we sees a useless verb we omits it.

Hope that he'ps. An' if ya's interested in furthrin' yer edjication on th'Queen's English, I can highly recommend a couple o' books by Mr. Faulkner. The grammer's impeckable, though if anyone kin make head er tail o'the plot, they's smarter folks'n I.

A1200 
Posted on 11-Jun-2021 14:46:18
#29 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

To quote MEGA_RJ - dosage is important.

simplex 
Posted on 11-Jun-2021 15:02:14
#30 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this entire thread started as an Omega project, so I don't see how holding back on the dosage could be a good thing. I thought all cylinders were supposed to firing on "VRRRRROOOOOOMMMM" -- but with even more R's and O's.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 11-Jun-2021 17:40:21
#31 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@simplex

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this entire thread started as an Omega project, so I don't

Silence, scum.

simplex 
Posted on 11-Jun-2021 17:43:10
#32 ]
Cult Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:
Silence, scum.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle