Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  3 mins ago
 Troels:  49 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Micro-A1 troubleshooting
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Av8Retro 
Re: Micro-A1 troubleshooting
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 20:30:47
#41 ]

Success!

PS/2 mouse worked like a charm, OS 4.0 w/update 1 is installed. Next is getting the machine onto the internet, seems the internet wizard is not much of a wizard :)

It is on a network with a router and cable modem. I guess I need to find what kind of ethernet chip the Micro-A1 uses...

Feels great to be back in the Amiga world, and hopefully I can re-learn everything I have forgotten about this great OS.

So far I'm running without a graphics card, any recommendations of what works well in the Micro-A1? I'm using an Asus 24" display capable of 1920*1080 and it has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs.

Cheers!

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 21:03:55
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

Glad to hear switching to PS/2 solved both your keyboard and mouse issues.

You can only use the internal graphics of the Micro (radeon 7000) period.

As I mentioned before, if you stick with AmigaOS4.0 update 1, which is rather ancient, it will be nearly impossible to advise you of any solutions, since no one here can likely imitate that setup.

I'll ask the other Micro owners to offer their advice, but I suggest you either update AmigaOS4.0 to final plus july update or...better still to follow the suggestion given to purchase and install AmigaOS4.1 FE along with the 2 updates.

This doesn't mean you won't get advice on connecting to the internet with AmigaOS4.0 update 1. It just means we can't possibly recall what was improved/fixed when during the long history of this machine, which makes it possibly more difficult to diagnose any issues.

Last edited by number6 on 21-Sep-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Av8Retro 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 21:34:52
#43 ]

@number6

Your advice and help is much appreciated, and I agree with your opinion to upgrade to the latest OS version, and the latest update on the current 4.0 for starters. I will work on getting the internet working along with making sure USB connectivity works before I put the motherboard into it's new case (Stream DB4) and making the installation "neat".

Cheers and thanks to everyone that has chimed in with helpful suggestions!

number6 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 21:47:55
#44 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

Sorry to sound repetitive but...

The dealer link I posted will offer AmigaOS4.1 FE and you can acquire the 2 updates after registration, as was mentioned.

If you choose, however, to attempt to find the 4 updates you are missing for AmigaOS4.0, I honestly don't know if they are available anywhere.
Again, perhaps someone else will know this one.

Av8Retro 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 21:50:50
#45 ]

@number6

Ah, got it. Will go straight to the latest Final Edition then :)

Thanks again!

redfox 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 21:51:11
#46 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

The MicroA1 Ethernet: 10/100 with 3COM 920C controller

Internet wizzard ...

I use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). My router assigns an IP address to my MicroA1. This has worked fine over the years with several different routers and every version of OS4 from the early prerelease versions of AmigaOS 4.0 all the way up to AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2.

AmigaOS 4.0 July 2007 Update was the final public version of AmigaOS 4.0. It was very good.

AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update (with hotfix) works very well on my MicroA1 system.

---
redfox

Av8Retro 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 22:07:29
#47 ]

@redfox

Excellent, thank you! Will dig into that shortly.

Just placed an order for the 4.1 Final Edition, hopefully should arrive from Europe next week....the suspense :)

Cheers!

number6 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 22:23:34
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

For what it's worth, I agree with redfox as usual.

Quote:
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)

redfox 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 22:42:47
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

Excellent. I recommend upgrading to AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 (hotfix). It is very stable on my system.

By the way, the last two versions of AmigaOS 4.0 are still available to registered users.

From the download section of Hyperion-entertainment.com website.

InstallCD-52.6 is the AmigaOS 4.0 Final Update released in December 2006.

AmigaOS 4.0 July 2007 Update released in July 2007.

As I recall, the December 2006 update was an ISO image that could be burned to a CD, and the July 2007 update was an update that also fixed some issues. For example, Final Writer 97 quit working with the December 2006 update but worked fine with the July 2007 Update. I wss very hsppy to be able to Final Writer 97 again.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 21-Sep-2021 at 10:46 PM.

number6 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 22:58:33
#50 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

Not to put a damper on the AmigaOS4.0 update idea but since this is an inherited machine, he'd spend the rest of his life getting his ownership of 4.0 transferred/registered.

redfox 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 23:05:49
#51 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
since this is an inherited machine, he'd spend the rest of his life getting his ownership of 4.0 transferred/registered.

You are right, of course. I somehow missed this part of the story.

---
redfox

Av8Retro 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 23:10:48
#52 ]

@redfox
@number6

Thanks again to both of you. Got the internet hooked up, although this setup seems to have a 30 minute limit on the iBrowse browser, then it asks for a "key". If I read the info on 4.1 FE it comes with a better browser so I'll wait for 4.1 to arrive.

I do have the product registered with Hyperion, but it shows no software updates available in the downloads section (other than a firmware update) when I'm logged in. At this point I am not too worried about it as the computer will get a "new" OS soon.

In fact, I am the original owner of this machine and still had the serial # (Pre-release and then from that 4.0 w/Update 1 purchase many, many years ago. It's amazing how much one forgets when not using it for a long time.

Once the new OS is installed I'll focus on the email client and web browser and start adding to the software library :)

Still trying to figure out the USB stuff, since it doesn't seem to recognize a thumb drive...but baby steps I guess :)

A great evening to all!

number6 
Posted on 21-Sep-2021 23:26:36
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

Heh. ok. My mistake. Having it since 2005 and only having 4.0 update 1 made me think you got it from someone else, since you were so far behind on the updates.

In the meantime you can check to see what s/w has been released since you last checked:

http://os4depot.net/

and since not everyone uploads there:

https://aminet.net/

Re:what you are seeing on Hyperion's site
You would be entitled to the firmware update based on your registration of AmigaOS4.0, so that offering makes sense.
AmigaOS4.1 FE was a new paid product, so I would not expect them to offer you the updates until you register FE.

Last edited by number6 on 21-Sep-2021 at 11:31 PM.

RussellB 
Posted on 22-Sep-2021 11:13:53
#54 ]

@Av8Retro

The download section for updates are only available when you are logged in. It will not show up if you are not. The section you are looking for is AmigaOS 4.x.

When you are logged in you will also be able to see the Product Registration section which will show if you have AmigaOS4 registered to your account.

Hypex 
Posted on 22-Sep-2021 15:01:27
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

I must be one of the few people who actually use the wizard. I read a discussion recently somewhere about it. And it was pointed out that the terms it uses are confusing and also by now obsolete. I'd add that wizard is also an obsolete term. And why is it called a wizard when the file name has no wizard. Where is the magic?

I know that, even if I am usng some kind of Broadband, I need to use the lowest LAN option. If all goes well it should have detected the network comtroller. But then the nice GUI is runed later by a sloppy shell output window.

You may want to check your UBoot Prefs now you can boot Workbench. Certainly easier from Workbench. But be prepared, if you update to FE, they depreciated the upgrade feature so it must be installed from scratch. Good to keep backup handy. Especially since setting up dual boot Workbenches must be done manually by hand or there is some manager on OS4Depot that can assist.

Last edited by Hypex on 06-Oct-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Av8Retro 
Posted on 6-Oct-2021 6:21:22
#56 ]

@Hypex

So I finally had a chance to install 4.1 FE, and the installation went smoothly. After the main installation finishes, the installer leaves a window open with options to configure optional items or add additional files. When I click anywhere, wether to close that window, or on the workbench, the computer hangs.

I tried several reboots, with the same result, and even another fresh install, yet the same thing happens. So while the 4.1 FE is installed fine, the computer is unusable as it freezes as soon as I try to interact with it. Anyone else had this happen?

Cheers!

MigthyMax 
Posted on 6-Oct-2021 9:13:10
#57 ]

@Av8Retro

I have a similar problem. My system just freezes sometimes. Sometime even without any interaction, during the screen blanker. So not as reproducible as your freezees, but freezes i got.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Oct-2021 15:46:13
#58 ]
Elite Member

@Av8Retro

That's rather unusual. So is this the FE off CD, with no updates?

And is it a total lock up? So Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga won't soft reboot? And Ctrl-Alt-Alt won't hard boot?

The only thing that comes to mind, which was disabled years ago, is the a1floppy driver which caused trouble on the micro. Are you able to use the early startup menu and boot into a shell at least? Could check the SYS:Kickstart/Kicklayout with More just to see.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 6-Oct-2021 16:47:02
#59 ]
Elite Member

@MigthyMax

You need to disable screen blinkers, they are total crap, a lot of enhancements is not quality stuff, my advice installs as little of it as possible, stick to the standard stuff.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 06-Oct-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Av8Retro 
Posted on 6-Oct-2021 17:49:47
#60 ]

@Hypex

CTRL-ALT-ALT works and reboots the machine. So I can sit and reboot the machine all day :)

The only internal connection is the IDE connector for CD Drive and HDD. Only the 40-pin is used, and this setup worked in the past (even though it is not the most efficient)

However the mouse pointer is frozen as soon as I click on anything. So I can't even go and disable any screen blanker.

I am assuming booting into choice #2 at the u-boot loader screen? Will try that next, thanks.

Cheers!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle