Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 151 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  26 mins ago
 matthey:  38 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  49 mins ago
 RobertB:  51 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Why I love NG?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Why I love NG?
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 10:05:53
#61 ]
Elite Member

@ppcamiga1

I spend a lot of time on my distribution

What exactly have you done? What software have you ported or developed? Name some (or at least one).

You talk all the time as "developer", what exactly have you contributed?

I tell you what real developers have told to me but you ignore it

You seriously think that a OS and hardware on level of Win95 would attract developers?

Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-Dec-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-Dec-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
michalsc 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 10:54:29
#62 ]
AROS Core Developer

@OlafS25

Quote:
You talk all the time as "developer", what exactly have you contributed?

Come on, don't feed the troll. He, the mighty "developer", has severe issues with differentiating between API and ABI, not to mention many other things which he is just bashing/ignoring if he does not understand them.

Don't expect him to show you his contribution to Amiga as "developer"...

IridiumFX 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 11:32:48
#63 ]

@ppcamiga1

newsflash, my friend, I don't attack PPC but ignorance.

PowerPC was a fine architecture back when it was alive (love it or not, it's dead).
Power was a fine architecture when it was big endian and had fixed size instruction words (love it or not, it transitioned to Little endian first).

I attack ignorance and random blubbering because back in the early '90ies, Amiga user was a synonym of damn fine coder, an individual with deep knowledge of the platform he was using, a "developer" turning a 7 or 14 MHz machine against the horde of 30+ MHz clones, with some success.

Nowadays what I see is .. well ... Iridium is written without "y". And this really embodies the problem. Ignorance and mental health issues

Quote:

People that waste time on attack on ppc like for example rose, schonweis, irydium
should spend time instead of attack on ppc
on improving aros to get it to at least when commodity oses was twenty years ago.

Last edited by IridiumFX on 21-Dec-2021 at 11:40 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 11:45:45
#64 ]
Elite Member

@IridiumFX

I'll always sing the praises of the Cell processor which gave the PS3 the edge over the XBox 360 in its later life as developers unlocked its potential. The Last of Us wouldn't have been possible on a console at the time without it!

terminills 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 11:52:01
#65 ]
AROS Core Developer

@michalsc

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Rose 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 13:20:38
#66 ]
Cult Member

@michalsc

This is Amigaworld, he cannot be a troll. To be called troll here you actually have to have a clue.

agami 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 14:00:18
#67 ]

@OlafS25

I was writing a direct negation of ppcamiga1’s original post. It is was not meant as a complete description of how I see/plan to bring to market, a 3rd commercial consumer computing platform.

I agree with many of the things you’ve written, except the IBM jab.
At the end of the day, I’m mostly interested in progress.
I don’t see much progress in what we label NG.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:09:58
#68 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

You don't understand.

To get new people You have to provide HARDWARE at least
at level of cheap pc from windows 95 era.
24 bit color, FPU, MMU, internet, pentium speed.

68k is either too expensive or not good enough.

That's way people like You should accept ppc.
It is nice, compatible, and at least as fast nad as comfortable as cheap pc from windows 95 era.
And still cheaper than good enough 68k.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:12:23
#69 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Amiga NG is good old Amiga.
Something like Amiga from Commodore only better because faster.
Amiga NG is something like Mac OS 9.
Superb classic.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:17:55
#70 ]
Cult Member

@agami

I don’t see progress on x86/arm side.
In year 2001 uae with jit was better than AROS native.
Twenty years passed.
In year 2021 uae with jit is still better than AROS native.
uae from 2001 is as fast as AROS native from 2021 but more compatible.

Trolls like szulc, Shonweiss, terminils, rose, iridium should spend their time on improve AROS.
Instead of trolling.

michalsc 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:23:56
#71 ]
AROS Core Developer

@ppcamiga1

Quote:
Trolls like szulc, Shonweiss, terminils, rose, iridium should spend their time on improve AROS.
Instead of trolling.

There is almost nothing I care less than your opinion considering the amount of disrespect which does not even allow you to spell my name correctly.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:42:13
#72 ]
Elite Member

@michalsc

There all kinds of programmers, some write things in AREXX, Basic, or Pascal, Amos, BlitzBasic2 they won’t know what an ABI is, knowing what ABI is not required to any hobby programmer that writes programs. And I don’t understand why you think people needs to be an engineer to have an opinion.

It sounds more to me you’re trying to dominate, the conversation.

Sure, ppcamiga1 is wrong about many things, but he is not always wrong. I don’t think there is anyone that is always right.

Sure it does hurt knowing what ABI is, but there are ways to tell or educate people without degrade someone.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Dec-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Dec-2021 at 05:45 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:50:32
#73 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

There’s differences in between being a coder, a programmer and a developer.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:56:34
#74 ]
Elite Member

@IridiumFX

Quote:
Nowadays what I see is .. well ... Iridium is written without "y". And this really embodies the problem. Ignorance and mental health issues

Dyslexia affects 20 percent of the population, are you saying all this people are Ignorance and have mental health issues? I don’t see how degrading and bullying on forums, helps prove your argument.

We don’t care what 7mhz or 14mhz CPU can do, they too slow… and even 100mhz or 200mhz cpu is too slow, actually sam440 is also pretty slow at 600mhz, computers start getting interesting around 1Ghz and up.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Dec-2021 at 06:08 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 17:58:28
#75 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Most peaple don’t know the difference is, most people say they are coding HTML.

It like when you are on customer support, and tell peaple to turn on and off the pc, and they turn on and off the monitor instead.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Dec-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Dec-2021 at 06:00 PM.

IridiumFX 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 18:20:44
#76 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Dyslexia affects 20 percent of the population, are you saying all this people are Ignorance and have mental health issues? I don’t see how degrading and bullying on forums, helps prove your argument.

I don't like to generalize, thanks for checking. Not talking of that 20% of people out there.

Quote:

We don’t care what 7mhz or 14mhz CPU can do, they too slow… and even 100mhz or 200mhz cpu is too slow, actually sam440 is also pretty slow at 600mhz, computers start getting interesting around 1Ghz and up.

And I am happy you can enjoy whatever system you like. As I wrote (and you read, understood but choose to ignore), I am not against any architecture. Ignorance and mental health, though, remain a big issue.

Now tell me, calling PPC compatible (to what ?) is not pure ignorance ?
Baselining a Win95 class hardware to onboard more people is not a clear sign of losing perception of reality ?
This is not trolling. If we were checked at the gate before infesting forums, this place would be a bit more quiet, but also much more sane

michalsc 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 18:31:10
#77 ]
AROS Core Developer

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
It sounds more to me you’re trying to dominate, the conversation.

Sure, ppcamiga1 is wrong about many things, but he is not always wrong. I don’t think there is anyone that is always right.

Sure it does hurt knowing what ABI is, but there are ways to tell or educate people without degrade someone.

I know and you are right, but, for a little of explanation - the guy was a very popular troll on polish forums frequently attacking everyone not sharing his opinion. There he is banned on the most prominent forums regularly so he is desperately looking for new forum where he could attract attention - that's why he is so active here right now.

No, there is no possibility to educate him, because every attempt will go plain wrong. You have eventually seen that in another discussion where he was just refusing to see the facts even if you point them with your finger.

I know how it sounds, but that's how it is... Sorry for that, I will attempt to ignore him totally just as I did on places like ppa.pl (I was fed up reading every time that Aros devs are stupid and Aros is shit)

PS. On a Polish forum he wrote me once what his contribution to amiga as a "developer" is - it is being happy with using PPC Amiga. So let be it ;)

klx300r 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 19:04:22
#78 ]
Elite Member

I love my PPC and 68k miggies and more importantly the awesome Amiga community over the years

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

michalsc 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 19:27:57
#79 ]
AROS Core Developer

@klx300r

Quote:

klx300r wrote:
I love my PPC and 68k miggies and more importantly the awesome Amiga community over the years

And that's the spirit!

matthey 
Posted on 21-Dec-2021 20:12:59
#80 ]
Elite Member

BigD Quote:

I'll always sing the praises of the Cell processor which gave the PS3 the edge over the XBox 360 in its later life as developers unlocked its potential. The Last of Us wouldn't have been possible on a console at the time without it!

The XBox 360 XCPU (Xenon) has very similar 64 bit PPC cores as the CELL PPC core. The PPC cores in both CPUs are developed by IBM, have very long in order dual issue pipelines (23 stages for higher clock rates), use 2 way SMT, have independent 32kiB L1 ICache and DCache, have SIMD units with VMX128 extensions, etc. The major difference is that the XCPU has 3 PPC cores where the CELL has only 1 but the CELL has 8 extra independent SIMD units without PPC CPU cores. The PPC cores are relatively weak (poor performance/MHz) and prone to bubbles in the pipeline but have high clocked cores which allow the SIMD units to have more throughput. Both the CELL and XCPU have high theoretical calculation potential but they are poor processors for general purpose use and the CELL separate SIMD units are especially difficult to program. The XCPU was easier to program allowing developers to extract performance more easily. The AMD64 PPC replacement cores are even easier to extract performance from, especially general purpose integer performance, using OoO cores and SMP like on the desktop. The big change over the desktop was a Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA) which allows the CPU and GPU to share workloads more efficiently so the GPU can be used more efficiently for SIMD workloads. The CPU can work on 3D data and then signal the GPU to start processing on it without copying the data across a slow bus to the gfx video memory. HSA gives a significant advantage but it can only be leveraged with an integrated CPU+GPU like the old Amiga chipset but with 3D support added. The NG Amigas don't use integrated chipsets anymore and can't seem to do SMP either. The original Amigas were more NG when they were introduced than the so called NG Amigas. The NG Amiga hardware left the majority of Amiga users behind and didn't adapt the AmigaOS enough to really be NG. Compatibility likely can't be maintained while adding SMP which is conveniently ignored. The true believers put their blinders on and start threads about why they love what they have with their favorite flavor of semi-NG though.

Last edited by matthey on 21-Dec-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 21-Dec-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle